Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819
Results 1,801 to 1,820 of 1820
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    It usually is cheaper to just replace the BB. It depends on what type of cranks you are using. For example sram cranks use GXP. Iíd take the cranks off and feel the bearings by hand first before buying a new BB. You could just be feeling some grim that could be cleaned off. As far as the creaking sound Iíd suspect the pivots before the BB. Threaded BB shells usually donít creak.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by srsiri23w View Post
    It usually is cheaper to just replace the BB. It depends on what type of cranks you are using. For example sram cranks use GXP. Iíd take the cranks off and feel the bearings by hand first before buying a new BB. You could just be feeling some grim that could be cleaned off. As far as the creaking sound Iíd suspect the pivots before the BB. Threaded BB shells usually donít creak.
    Itís the stock raceface bottom bracket and cranks that came on the bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Curious about ya'lls opinion on frame change. I came across a 2019 Stumpjumper frame. Doing some maths and comparisons of geometry I gather that everything on my release is transferable to the stumpy minus the crankset which I gather is too long. Spesh uses a 170 length for their large, I'm guessing due to BB height.

Now, I started with a Release two but put changed out the level brakes for guide rsc, put on Roval take off wheels from an enduro when my blanchard wheels ate up the freehub, pnw bars and stem because. I re-purposed the diamondback ones for a hardtail build. I also just did a debonair fork spring upgrade on the pike. So a lot of that stuff is what I want to keep. But, will the added 20mm in the rear and .5 degree head angle and carbon be worth the 2k price tag on the stumpy frame.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smithers166 View Post
    Curious about ya'lls opinion on frame change. I came across a 2019 Stumpjumper frame. Doing some maths and comparisons of geometry I gather that everything on my release is transferable to the stumpy minus the crankset which I gather is too long. Spesh uses a 170 length for their large, I'm guessing due to BB height.

Now, I started with a Release two but put changed out the level brakes for guide rsc, put on Roval take off wheels from an enduro when my blanchard wheels ate up the freehub, pnw bars and stem because. I re-purposed the diamondback ones for a hardtail build. I also just did a debonair fork spring upgrade on the pike. So a lot of that stuff is what I want to keep. But, will the added 20mm in the rear and .5 degree head angle and carbon be worth the 2k price tag on the stumpy frame.

Thanks
    I keep an eye out for carbon frames with similar overall geo/specs all the time. Currently looking at SC 5010 frames- similar to you, Iím interested in moving everything over to a new frame (while keeping the longer fork).

At $2k plus the cost of a new crankset, I wouldnít do it as a cost saving measure. Does the frame also include the shock? The Release shock wonít fit a Stumpy frame.If youíve got the spare $ and want a project, go for it! But if you ultimately just want a different bike, I think that selling the release and putting that $ toward a new bike is a better route financially. Otherwise youíll be left with just a frame thatís not worth much.

Think about whether all of the money you have invested in the Release + the $2k stumpy frame + new cranks + random pieces youíll need to transfer/build, and whether that amount would be significantly more than just buying a complete bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DB Release 3
    Kona Rove ST + Burley D'Lite

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Tarch... I'm going to be selling my like new Large Release 4C frame, if interested.

I'll sell it either with no shock, or with a brand new, unused FOX DPX2 Performance Elite shock.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by srsiri23w View Post
    Thanks. Yeah I took it apart and did some research. I would just replace the BB with the same BB, a Raceface X-Type Team but I dont seem to see any of the same one for sale anywhere. Theres the DH version which is too long, and then the XC version which I can decide if I want to use. Not sure what the difference is between the XC and the normal Team but looks to be direct replacement.

I was curious though if I could swap it with a similar Shimano one and have no issues. The cranks are Raceface Affect 24mm spline with the BB length needing to be 73mm outter bearing threaded. The BB is definitely a little grindie already so need replacing. Still might take one more ride on it before replacing though ha.

Yeah, I'm that a$$hole.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerm2006 View Post
    Thanks. Yeah I took it apart and did some research. I would just replace the BB with the same BB, a Raceface X-Type Team but I dont seem to see any of the same one for sale anywhere. Theres the DH version which is too long, and then the XC version which I can decide if I want to use. Not sure what the difference is between the XC and the normal Team but looks to be direct replacement.

I was curious though if I could swap it with a similar Shimano one and have no issues. The cranks are Raceface Affect 24mm spline with the BB length needing to be 73mm outter bearing threaded. The BB is definitely a little grindie already so need replacing. Still might take one more ride on it before replacing though ha.
    I wouldn't use a RF BB, but thats just me, I've never had good luck with them. That being said, again this is just me, if I were inclined to use a RF I wouldn't shy away from using the DH version and just tossing out the plastic center tube, I rarely use them and have had no issues.

All that aside, as you have eluded too, since the spindle is 24mm same as Shimano you can use the Shimano BB and that would be my very first choice. Specifically I would go with the Saint, as I like the gold accents, but really it doesn't matter if it's that or XT, just be sure whatever you pick it's 24mm x 73/68.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2018 Diamondback Release 5C
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Ford View Post
    I wouldn't use a RF BB, but thats just me, I've never had good luck with them. That being said, again this is just me, if I were inclined to use a RF I wouldn't shy away from using the DH version and just tossing out the plastic center tube, I rarely use them and have had no issues.

All that aside, as you have eluded too, since the spindle is 24mm same as Shimano you can use the Shimano BB and that would be my very first choice. Specifically I would go with the Saint, as I like the gold accents, but really it doesn't matter if it's that or XT, just be sure whatever you pick it's 24mm x 73/68.
    The Saint BB is exactly what I was looking at. I like the gold too. There is one I noticed really expensive one that is red. The Hope BBs are crazy expensive. Wont be getting one of those but they do look cool.

Thanks for the input and I will probably be picking up the Saint since my local BS has those in stock.

mtbr member
    What is the best order to service the pivots on the aluminum release? Any other advice?

Yeah, I'm that a$$hole.
    Quote Originally Posted by onesojourner View Post
    What is the best order to service the pivots on the aluminum release? Any other advice?
    Direct from DB this is the correct process and must be followed explicitly

Release: Any owners yet?-db-release-master-document_v2_2018-60.jpg
    Release: Any owners yet?-db-release-master-document_v2_2018-61.jpg
    Release: Any owners yet?-db-release-master-document_v2_2018-62.jpg
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Can some one tell me about the bearings in the pivot points? I have one in particular that feels extremely gritty/clicky. Can these be cleaned up or is better to replace them? Thanks in advance.

Yeah, I'm that a$$hole.
    Quote Originally Posted by onesojourner View Post
    Can some one tell me about the bearings in the pivot points? I have one in particular that feels extremely gritty/clicky. Can these be cleaned up or is better to replace them? Thanks in advance.
    You can try cleaning and repacking the bearings. You can do this with the bearings still installed. This video should help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mQUOa6ksOE

[b]PLEASE follow the instructions above for removing the pivot axles and re-installing this will help the process. Also when your putting the back in, be sure not to tighten the axles fully until they are all installed, then go back through and tighten then all up to torque. /b]

One thing I would do that's not included in the video, after you spray out/clean the bearings. used some canned air to blow out as much of the cleaner as possible before re-packing the bearings. Be sure to use a good waterproof grease, you can use Marine Grease a lot of people do.

If none of that works and it's still feeling like crap, then its probably time to have the bearings replaced. Mine are being replaced as we speak at the LBS. Even though I re-packed all my bearings when I got the bike, my lower pivots are feeling a bit notchy.

this is the bearing kit I went with for now https://www.enduroforkseals.com/prod...ts/SBKDB5.html I'll see how they fair. I've heard some iffy reports about enduro bearings, but wanted to see for myself. If it doesn't work out, then I'll try some SKF bearings.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    You can try cleaning and repacking the bearings. You can do this with the bearings still installed. This video should help.

One thing I would do that's not included in the video, after you spray out/clean the bearings. used some canned air to blow out as much of the cleaner as possible before re-packing the bearings. Be sure to use a good waterproof grease, you can use Marine Grease a lot of people do.

If none of that works and it's still feeling like crap, then its probably time to have the bearings replaced. Mine are being replaced as we speak at the LBS. Even though I re-packed all my bearings when I got the bike, my lower pivots are feeling a bit notchy.

this is the bearing kit I went with for now https://www.enduroforkseals.com/prod...ts/SBKDB5.html I'll see how they fair. I've heard some iffy reports about enduro bearings, but wanted to see for myself. If it doesn't work out, then I'll try some SKF bearings.
    I just had the same kit put in my 5c a few weeks ago. Iíve got about 5 rides and itís still going strong, as apposed to when I first got the bike and the pivots were clicking right out of the box.

Yeah, I'm that a$$hole.
    Quote Originally Posted by atkrocket View Post
    I just had the same kit put in my 5c a few weeks ago. Iíve got about 5 rides and itís still going strong, as apposed to when I first got the bike and the pivots were clicking right out of the box.

Sweet!!! Thanks for the feedback, that's reassuring. I figured it's a relatively cheap investment if it doesn't work out no great loss. I'm excited to get back on the bike, to see how the bearing go and testing out a new tire.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Sweet!!! Thanks for the feedback, that's reassuring. I figured it's a relatively cheap investment if it doesn't work out no great loss. I'm excited to get back on the bike, to see how the bearing go and testing out a new tire.
    Enjoy, braaaaappppp!!!

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. Here is my full report.

This bike has under 500 miles on it. I decided to inspect the pivot bearings and am pretty disappointed in the condition of them. This bike rarely saw any moisture other than for cleaning.

2 of the bearings roll smoothly
    4 of the bearings roll but feel very gritty
    2 of the bearings cannot be rotated by hand

Finally, pivot bolt 4 was difficult to remove and has noticeable wear on one side of it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018

[b]PLEASE follow the instructions above for removing the pivot axles and re-installing this will help the process. Also when your putting the back in, be sure not to tighten the axles fully until they are all installed, then go back through and tighten then all up to torque. /b]

I am planning on trying to repack my BB once I get it swapped out. I figured I would replace it as normal but try to salvage the old BB by trying to clean and repack it. If it works I will have a back up to swap to next time I need one. If not then it was still fun to tear it down and back.

I hope to have no issues with the pivot bearings as that look like a pain. Hope all goes well on the new kit.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerm2006 View Post
    The Saint BB is exactly what I was looking at. I like the gold too. There is one I noticed really expensive one that is red. The Hope BBs are crazy expensive. Wont be getting one of those but they do look cool.

Thanks for the input and I will probably be picking up the Saint since my local BS has those in stock.
    Thatís the one Iím getting too... can anyone tell me what tools I need to remove and reinstall the cranks and replace the BB??

Yeah, I'm that a$$hole.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOONER718 View Post
    Thatís the one Iím getting too... can anyone tell me what tools I need to remove and reinstall the cranks and replace the BB??
    Here you go, its in the instructions under "Tools Needed". FYI the BB tool listed Park Tool BBT-9 is same for Shimano and Race Face 24mm BB.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zv...e0Mn6v_UlPRY8h
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Here you go, its in the instructions under "Tools Needed". FYI the BB tool listed Park Tool BBT-9 is same for Shimano and Race Face 24mm BB.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zv...e0Mn6v_UlPRY8h
    I just received all my tools about 2 weeks ago and finally my BB this week so I can make the swap. I was surprised 2 of my LBS didnt have a BB in stock so had to order online which shipping took FORRRREEVVVVEEEERR! This will be fun and even more fun pulling the old one apart to try and rebuild.

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819