bb question for '17 release 3- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2016

bb question for '17 release 3

I'm not quite sure which bb I need to order to replace the stock one on the release. The BSA thing specifically is where I'm unsure. Jenson shows a regular and BSA raceface bottom bracket. And I also found this wheels manuf ABEC-3 BB which states it's for a BSA threaded frame. https://wheelsmfg.com/threaded-to-30...bb-black.html#

Trying to be helpful

bb question for '17 release 3

BSA is what you. BSA in terms of a bottom bracket refers to a 68 or 73mm shell with 1.370/1.375″ x 24 TPI threads and a left hand thread on the drive side cup.

Either Race Face or Wheels MFG will work, personally Id go with anything over Race Face their bottom brackets are shit.

Sent from #THELEGENDMTB using Tapatalk on an iPhone
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2018 Diamondback Release 5CA

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Thanks for the reply. That is excellent news, as I got impatient and just ordered the wm when I found it at worldwide cyclery.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by eyeballs View Post
    Thanks for the reply. That is excellent news, as I got impatient and just ordered the wm when I found it at worldwide cyclery.
    How did the WM BB work out? Mine is crunchy, so it's time to replace and the RF seems like they don't last long.

mtbr member
    Also curious as the WM one states spindle lengths of 104mm for that BB. I ordered it and fingers crossed it works.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    The WM bottom bracket has been fine, no issues whatsoever. The bike is quieter now then it's ever been. It's almost weird to not have any creaks or squeaks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by eyeballs View Post
    The WM bottom bracket has been fine, no issues whatsoever. The bike is quieter now then it's ever been. It's almost weird to not have any creaks or squeaks.
    That's awesome. Thanks for replying. Off to find a place to order the one listed in post#1!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclehacker View Post
    That's awesome. Thanks for replying. Off to find a place to order the one listed in post#1!
    I ended up ordering from Bicycle parts direct, it was $70 with free shipping. World-wide cyclery was $73, not a big difference.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by aphoeniceus View Post
    I ended up ordering from Bicycle parts direct, it was $70 with free shipping. World-wide cyclery was $73, not a big difference.
    Yeah, I went ahead and ordered it today along with the suggested wrench. Hopefully I'll have a quiet bike once installed!

mtbr member
    Too big for my cranks, so it didn't work for me. My bike came with raceface cranks and I assumed they were 30mm, but they must be 24mm. I don't think I can return the BB either. Expensive mistake on my part!

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by aphoeniceus View Post
    Too big for my cranks, so it didn't work for me. My bike came with raceface cranks and I assumed they were 30mm, but they must be 24mm. I don't think I can return the BB either. Expensive mistake on my part!
    That's odd. I'm using the stock crank and it seemed to be ok for me. My only issue is that I was getting some wobbling during the ride and realized that though I thought I tightened the crank down well enough it started to come loose during the ride yesterday. I need to research and figure out if I needed locktite on the crank or if I just need to tighten it more next time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    That's odd. I'm using the stock crank and it seemed to be ok for me. My only issue is that I was getting some wobbling during the ride and realized that though I thought I tightened the crank down well enough it started to come loose during the ride yesterday. I need to research and figure out if I needed locktite on the crank or if I just need to tighten it more next time.
    can you let us know what you find out? I replaced my bottom bracket and now constantly have to tighten the raceface cranks after a ride, sometimes during. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by MOONER718 View Post
    can you let us know what you find out? I replaced my bottom bracket and now constantly have to tighten the raceface cranks after a ride, sometimes during. Thanks!
    I cannot confirm that this is good info (I'm hoping to tighten mine tonight and see if it holds for tomorrow's ride), but I read this[1] and see that I needed to tighten it to 50Nm. I didn't do that before, so I will soon find out!

1. https://www.raceface.com/media/B1018...stallation.pdf

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    I cannot confirm that this is good info (I'm hoping to tighten mine tonight and see if it holds for tomorrow's ride), but I read this[1] and see that I needed to tighten it to 50Nm. I didn't do that before, so I will soon find out!

1. https://www.raceface.com/media/B1018...stallation.pdf
    Crank stayed put just fine during yesterday's ride, so I'd say that following the directions in the PDF above worked. Just make sure you get the preload adjuster set correctly if you are concerned about getting it tight.