2019 Release 5C quality control issues?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2015

2019 Release 5C quality control issues?

Any other 2019 Release 5C owners?

Mine developed a gnarly creak within the first 10 rides and it's just getting worse. Had the BB and some of the linkage bearings serviced at a LBS which helped temporarily, but now it's worse than ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0D1...ature=youtu.be

It's an awesome bike but I'm kind of regretting buying it at this point.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Clean and grease the top tube shock mount bolt. I serviced my pivots recently and even when the suspension pivots were grimy they were all silent except for the top tube shock mount (the one that barely even moves).

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Check the seat

Trying to be helpful

Last edited by Guy.Ford; 07-07-2020 at 03:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    It's not the seat. I'll try the shock mount pivot.

Guy.Ford, I'm not sure I agree with that. I had my last 2 bikes for >5 years and neither of them ever made this amount of noise. My friend's carbon bikes never made this amount of noise either.

It seems crazy that customers are expected to strip the entire bike apart and put it back together...I would have bought a different bike if I knew this was the case but I guess I'm stuck with it now.

Shartacular Spectacular
    Quote Originally Posted by snowed View Post
    It's not the seat. I'll try the shock mount pivot.

Guy.Ford, I'm not sure I agree with that. I had my last 2 bikes for >5 years and neither of them ever made this amount of noise. My friend's carbon bikes never made this amount of noise either.

It seems crazy that customers are expected to strip the entire bike apart and put it back together...I would have bought a different bike if I knew this was the case but I guess I'm stuck with it now.
    Life can be brutal every now and again. My thoughts go out to you during this difficult time.
    18’ SC Bronson C
    Grip2, Reserve 27's, i9, Float X2

18' SC V10
    Fox 40 w/Avy air/coil, WAO: The Outlier, i9, Avy Woodie

Trying to be helpful

Last edited by Guy.Ford; 07-07-2020 at 03:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I'm not trying to shit on Diamondback, but I find it hard to believe this is a normal issue on new carbon bikes. And when it is an issue, doesn't the seller typically fix the issue ASAP instead of telling the customer to service the BB and pivot bearings themselves.

Don't get me wrong, it's an awesome bike. I just don't believe this is a typical issue on new bikes (carbon or AL) based on my past experience with my and my friends new bikes from other manufacturers which have never had this kind of problem.

Trying to be helpful

Last edited by Guy.Ford; 07-07-2020 at 03:45 PM.

Shartacular Spectacular
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Ford View Post
    ***RANT***Cue the pitchforks***
    Got you covered, torches even!
    Name:  46FDE340-A898-44BA-AB9D-797B43D0551A.jpeg
Views: 352
Size:  41.6 KB
    18’ SC Bronson C
    Grip2, Reserve 27's, i9, Float X2

18' SC V10
    Fox 40 w/Avy air/coil, WAO: The Outlier, i9, Avy Woodie

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    You truly believe this amount of creak is perfectly normal on a new bike? I understand and expect bikes to make some noise but this is extremely loud...listen to the video again.

I would definitely feel better if it developed after 9-10 months of hard riding. There are many consumable bike parts that are expected to be replaced, but these parts shouldn't need to be serviced or replaced after 5-10 rides.

I didn't post the whole story on here, but DB completely ignored my 1st e-mail. They responded to the 2nd e-mail a week later explaining how creaks can occur and which parts should be serviced/reinstalled, including the BB. It consistently takes them 5+ days to respond to e-mails. It's just poor customer service compared to what I've experienced with other brands.

Cool story bro. It's wonderful that you do all the work yourself, but most reputable bike manufacturers don't poorly assemble their bikes and then tell the consumer to fix it themselves.

I don't get why you're bringing so much negativity into this, all I'm trying to do is see if other 2019 Release 5C riders are experiencing the same thing with their bikes or not.

mtbr member
    This amount of creak on a new bike is ridiculous - its so bad (as heard in the video link) that I'd refuse to ride with you as it would drive me nuts. In the last 3 years, I've purchased 3 different level link bikes from DB, and a gravel grinder. Every single one of these bikes had significant quality control and assembly issues, that cost me time, downtime from riding, and eventually cash out of pocket. On one of my orders, they didn't even have the right bike in the box they shipped me. My experiences with the customer service from DB are akin to getting a root canal while doing my taxes. Warranty issues wound up costing me significant cash, that would've been covered by any other bike shop. I have years of bike mechanic background in my past, and am a somewhat competent and tool equipped bike mechanic. Early on, the deals on the DB bikes were worth the added personal time investment associated with essentially maintaining these without a local shop's support. I no longer feel that to be the case.

When working properly and configured with components that work, these can be great bikes, and my entire family has had a great time on them, with big miles in amazing places. But I'm not a DB fanboy - its not because of the bikes, its directly due to QC and customer service. Every issue I've had, if "resolved" through customer support, was never completely addressed and fixed, leaving me to get the final solution taken care of my self, with my time and cash, every single time at the expense of riding time lost.

You're riding their top of the line, carbon fiber bike, and it sounds like $h!t. You should be pissed. While it could be something simple that you could chase down (and you should try to systematically eliminate the sources of the creaks, working from the pedals to the saddle, and everything in between), it could be a bigger problem, like with the alignment of the frame, binding bearings or axles.

Hopefully DB support comes through for you, and you're not down a bike for significant lengths of time.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Thanks for the reply, I thought I was going crazy with everyone else saying it was normal for a new bike to sound like that. It's unfortunate to hear about your experiences with DB customer service...hopefully they step up and back their products similar to other bike brands.

Agreed about it being an awesome bike. It climbs well and is a beast going downhill. Very happy with how it rides.

It's currently at the LBS and they're systematically working through possible creak sources. I'll keep this post updated with how things turn out.

mtbr member
    I also ran into nothing but issues with my 5C, I loved how the bike rode but I couldn't deal with the lack of quality. This is certainly not my first high end carbon bike as I have a rotating fleet of bikes like we all probably do but this is the first one that I have run into this many issues with. I had to deal with horrible creaking, paint chipping prematurely and a crack in the seat stay within a month of riding. I ended up stripping the parts off of the bike and selling the frame for almost nothing.

As far as the negative responses that you have received on your post snowed, what do you expect? This is the Diamondback forum with nothing but hard core fans who are used to people shitting on Diamondback, so they are quick to get defensive. While I think that Diamondback is on the right track, I would be hesitant to purchase another bike from them until they can improve upon the consistency of the products they put out. Happy trails everyone!!!
    Get out and Ride!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    A bike that costs $3k shouldn't creak like that after a few rides. I hope you get it figured out. Thanks for posting.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    FYI this issue is still not fixed. DB routinely takes 2+ weeks to reply to warranty related e-mails. Just a word of caution if anyone is considering buying one of their bikes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Just a quick follow up. I sent up couple follow up e-mails and didn't get a response for more than a month. Earlier today I called in, and sure enough the same dude (Lief Flemming...is he the only DB support person?) who was ignoring my warranty claim answered the phone. Here are the highlights:

I had access to the corporate discount and expericity, and choose to use the corporate discount.

Diamondback: “So you bought this bike at a corporate discount, correct?”

Customer: “Correct”

Diamondback: “Right, so that’s like an employee price that we offer as a courtesy. Ummm, you know. This reduces our ability to, uh, you know…to provide you with the kind of courtesy that we can provide a customer that’s buying at full pop.”

Customer: “Is that your policy?”

Diamondback: “Does that make any sense?”

Customer: “That’s the Diamondback policy?”

Diamondback: “So the policy of our corporate discount program, is a courtesy.”

Customer: “So you give less support for it?”

Diamondback: “We just don’t have the same margins to work with when an issue arises.”

And then...

Customer: Did you listen to the video? Are you telling me that’s a normal noise for a new Diamondback?

Diamondback: I’ve heard the noise

Customer: Is that normal?

Diamondback: Bikes do make noise. That’s a noise I’ve heard before.

Customer: Really? Let me play it for you here

Diamondback: Creaking bikes are sort of a common phenomenon. Especially when bikes aren’t maintained or serviced.

Customer: *Plays creaking sound from the youtube video listed above* Now that’s after 5 rides. Is that normal?

Diamondback: Yes…

Customer: Really?

Diamondback: Yes, it certainly can be.

I would be very cautious about throwing down $4-5k on a Diamondback. It's a fun bike, but most new bikes are pretty damn fun too. DB does not provide a level of service that makes it safe to buy direct-to-consumer. They ignore you for as long as possible and then tell you their warranty is a courtesy. Such BS for a bike company trying to rebrand themselves with legit high end bikes.

mtbr member
    Wow - that sucks. The balls it takes to tell someone that they won't get the same service as someone that paid full price - with a direct to consumer sales model. What a bunch of ass clowns. If you're keeping the bike, then you're going to have to accept that its going to cost you $$$ to make the creak go away. If you've got the tools and skill, chase the creak, starting at the saddle, and systematically work your way down. Hit everything with slick honey. Ride, rinse, repeat. Or, find a different shop, and let them chase it down. And, while its a bitter pill to swallow, accept the fact that the money you saved on the DB pricing deal wasn't quite worth it - and keep in mind, there are a lot of people who have the same headaches with crappy shops and poorly running bike, and they paid full price in person.

Good luck - I finally found my creak, and it was awesome to make it go away.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    So I had an issue with my R3 when it first came in. It was also bought with a corp discount which I think alot of people do since its pretty common. Diamondback answered right away every question that I had. They also offered to pay for any cost for me to take it to my local bike shop to help diagnose the problem. I dont know someone has such bad luck and experience. I spoke with a think at least 2 different people and each were extremely nice. I would be mad if I had your experience but 2 of 2 for me were nice and helpful. Maybe that has changed in the last year.
    2018 Diamondback Release 3
    2016 Vilano Blackjack 3.0

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerm2006 View Post
    So I had an issue with my R3 when it first came in. It was also bought with a corp discount which I think alot of people do since its pretty common. Diamondback answered right away every question that I had. They also offered to pay for any cost for me to take it to my local bike shop to help diagnose the problem. I dont know someone has such bad luck and experience. I spoke with a think at least 2 different people and each were extremely nice. I would be mad if I had your experience but 2 of 2 for me were nice and helpful. Maybe that has changed in the last year.
    Interesting to hear they paid for your shop diagnosis. Here's what they told me earlier:

Generally, we would not reimburse you for the bearings, unless evidence can be provided that the bearings or assembly were faulty.
    We can look into compensating you for warrantable labor charges, against your original purchase with us, or with parts and accessories, such as our Ready 2 Ride Starter Kit, including a hand pump, seat bag, multi tool, tire tools and patch kit.

But on the phone call yesterday, they are stated they will not be paying for the previous LBS visits.

On the plus side, they have agreed to warranty the frame, but again will not pay for any of the labor costs and unfortunately I don't have the tools/knowledge to do the headset/BB myself. The downside to this is that they kept saying the would 'make the determination' once they receive the old frame, so I feel like they might try to screw me over again. Fingers crossed that it goes smoothly and resolves the issue.

watermonkey makes a great point that even after paying the labor costs it will still (hopefully) be cheaper than buying a full priced bike, but the amount of time and being unable to use the bike is pretty frustrating.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    [QUOTEDiamondback: “Right, so that’s like an employee price that we offer as a courtesy. Ummm, you know. This reduces our ability to, uh, you know…to provide you with the kind of courtesy that we can provide a customer that’s buying at full pop.”.[/QUOTE]

Man this is disheartening. I had an issue with the rear hub (as did many others) on my R3 that I bought with the corporate discount last year. They handled it much more professionally than this exchange. I have to wonder if this is related to the recent sale of the company and a sign that Diamondback's recent run of offering a great bike at a great price is coming to an end. I sure hope not as I am still loving my R3.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Update!

The warrantied frame arrived today and guess what, they shipped me last years frame!! Completely different color (red) compared to the bike I bought (matte black). https://i.imgur.com/McL1V5n.jpg

I honestly feel like they're just ****ing with me at this point. It's almost comical but also pretty frustrating.

For those who own last years model Release, has it been pretty reliable? Might not be worth the hassle to go through this whole process again.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Love my 2018 5c in red. Had it professionally assembled (clean/grease everything). Recently replaced all bearings. Keeping up with lube schedule is important too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Another update!

I reached out to the COO of Alta Cycles (the company that now owns DB) on LinkedIn and he was able to get me in touch with the warranty manager for DB.

He was extremely helpful and will be shipping out either a replacement black frame (2019 version) or sending an entirely new bike if they don't have a frame in stock. In addition, they will be paying for labor the previous LBS visits AND labor for swapping all the components. He also stated the tech was incorrect in stating that customers get less service for bikes bought at a discount.

It was frustrating getting here, but it looks like they're owning up to the issue and going over the top to fix it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Just a quick update. The warranty manager ended up sending out a completely new bike in November 2019 which was awesome. However, they completely ignored my request to get reimbursed for the LBS services. Not totally unreasonable IMO, but a reply would have been nice.

Unfortunately after <100 miles on the new bike it's developed the same creak. During the previous warranty process the manager (Jason Cooper) claimed he would tear the bike apart and figure out what was wrong to hopefully fix this issue for other customers going forward. So I emailed him recently and asked what he found so I could take it to a LBS and lead them in the right direction...no response.

The whole process has been a huge headache and I will never buy a DB again. Sure, the specs are amazing for the price and it rides great. But I've spent so many hours, had a <1 year old bike out of service for weeks at a time (3 times now), and have had so much stress about getting them to honor their warranty. Just a shitty experience all around, not what you want when you're throwing down $4-5k on a bike.

Also, Guy.Ford, what's up with deleting your entire post history?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    That creaking sounds dire and I'd be pissed with that coming from a new bike. Customer service doesn't sound great either, especially the couple of posts about sending out the wrong bike or frame. Shouldn't be happening, it's a bit more serious than having the wrong pizza delivered. That being said I wouldn't single out Diamondback for creaking. I've had a lot of bikes and it's a bit of a lottery. I had a Santa Cruz Hightower, the most expensive frame I've ever bought, in two years it never got more than a couple of weeks without the lower link starting to creak again. Very disappointing for the cost and coming from a boutique brand. Also recently had a Kona Hei Hei which never creaked in 7.5k miles.

It's usually not that difficult to track down the problem. I'd be looking at the bottom bracket or direct mount chainring first. Saddle clamps are common culprits as well. Probably something not tight enough or assembled dry that needs grease. Although I did once have a Giant Trance where the top tube/seat tube join was at fault. Nothing could be done about it unless I wanted to pursue a warranty replacement. Maybe if you ride in a group ask a few buddies to try the bike and see where they thing it's coming from.

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    Well damn!

I just bought a 2020 Release 5C and its creaking. My local bike shop pretty much pulled the whole thing apart. They greased all the pivots and it quieted down for the first few rides and now the creak is back. It really sounds like its coming from the headset.

Snowed, do you have a contact number or email for the warranty manager at Diamondback?

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarlyRide View Post
    Well damn!

I just bought a 2020 Release 5C and its creaking. My local bike shop pretty much pulled the whole thing apart. They greased all the pivots and it quieted down for the first few rides and now the creak is back. It really sounds like its coming from the headset.

Snowed, do you have a contact number or email for the warranty manager at Diamondback?
    Sorry to hear that! Yeah I've been messing around with mine recently and the headset definitely appears to be the culprit.

The warranty manager was Jason Cooper ([email protected]), but I e-mailed him about the recent issues and never got a response. You can also try contacting Alta Cycling Group who owns diamondback (1-800-222-5527). Good luck...keep us updated if you figure out a fix.

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    I pulled the headset apart and one of the bearings had some crud built up on side. Cleaned it the best I could, re-greased and assembled. All quiet now.