Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2018

2019 Diamondbacks

So you all may have noticed that a number of Diamondback products are out of stock, many for which Diamondback does not have an ETA. My girlfriend chatted with a CSR at DB, who revealed that... there is no ETA on some of these (Release/Clutch/Catch) because there are no more shipments being made of the current year models of these bikes.

Supposedly new bikes are coming this fall. Asked for details, and all she heard was "You'll get more for less", and that it would be worth her time to wait.

We know about the Carbon Sync'r. Supposedly we might see a new Level Link Mission, too. But give what I heard, perhaps there's a retool in order for the Release bikes as well.

I'm looking to go full suspension here in the next few months, and currently weighing some fantastically discounted frames from Niner, Canfield Bros etc. Very curious to see what DB has in store for mid travel trail bikes, but don't want to wait too long.

If you've got any more information or hints, feel free to post that info here!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Should i cancel my Jeffsy order to be delivered at the end of October? i really want a new mission.

Yeah, I'm that a$$hole.
    There will be a XS Release 5C coming as well. Met a sweet gal from DB riding one on some local trails here in Washington.

I'm excited to see how that Level Link Mission comes out. My wishlist for this bike would be:

Bottle cage in frame and on down tube
    Aluminum
    Ample tire clearance for 2.6"
    64-65* head angle
    165-170mm rear travel w/ 230x65 or 250x70 metric shock, specifically Fox DHX2; also
    with bearing eyelet for rear link mount.
    13.3-13.5 bb height
    148mm boost rear wheel
    threaded bb
    ISCG 05
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2018 Diamondback Release 5C
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Speireag View Post
    So you all may have noticed that a number of Diamondback products are out of stock, many for which Diamondback does not have an ETA. My girlfriend chatted with a CSR at DB, who revealed that... there is no ETA on some of these (Release/Clutch/Catch) because there are no more shipments being made of the current year models of these bikes.

Supposedly new bikes are coming this fall. Asked for details, and all she heard was "You'll get more for less", and that it would be worth her time to wait.

We know about the Carbon Sync'r. Supposedly we might see a new Level Link Mission, too. But give what I heard, perhaps there's a retool in order for the Release bikes as well.

I'm looking to go full suspension here in the next few months, and currently weighing some fantastically discounted frames from Niner, Canfield Bros etc. Very curious to see what DB has in store for mid travel trail bikes, but don't want to wait too long.

Its so funny, I was literally writing a post identical to this last night. I'm in nearly the exact same position that you are.

I've been keeping tabs on Diamondback bike prices for about two months now (since I found out I got a corporate discount through my job). Also, as I've just barely decided that I want to give mountain biking a shot, I've not yet chosen a new bike, so I've been looking at tons of different models as I evaluate my needs/wants.

As I noticed some models completely disappearing from the website, I drew similar conclusions to you. For instance, the Release 3 is 100% gone from their website, and the other Catch/Release variants only have a few sizes in stock now. I suspect once those sell out they'll be gone forever as well.

On Saturday I spoke with one of the guys at the DB "demo dealer" in North Bend, and he believes that they are likely coming out with some new models as well, even if he either didn't have, or didn't share any specifics.

My guess is that they're unifying the catch/release lineup, and/or building a 29'r trail bike to replace them with. I also think it makes a lot of sense to spread the Level link rear suspension design around the lineup. So I bet a new Mission model(s) is in the making.

If they are telling you that you'll get "more for less", thats a good sign for me personally, as I'm still very much on the "this needs to be a good value for me to consider buying it" side of the spectrum.

Also, I'm curious if they're increasing the seat tube angle at all. That was one criticism that I read in some reviews of the release, even though as a new rider, I freely admit I don't know if have an opinion on/preference for yet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    You guys are making wish I hadn't just bought the Release 3 a couple months ago.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by jarvis243 View Post
    You guys are making wish I hadn't just bought the Release 3 a couple months ago.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Its ok, you're making us wish that we had had a Release 3 for months now .

Yeah, I'm that a$$hole.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocnLogan View Post
    Its so funny, I was literally writing a post identical to this last night. I'm in nearly the exact same position that you are.

I've been keeping tabs on Diamondback bike prices for about two months now (since I found out I got a corporate discount through my job). Also, as I've just barely decided that I want to give mountain biking a shot, I've not yet chosen a new bike, so I've been looking at tons of different models as I evaluate my needs/wants.

As I noticed some models completely disappearing from the website, I drew similar conclusions to you. For instance, the Release 3 is 100% gone from their website, and the other Catch/Release variants only have a few sizes in stock now. I suspect once those sell out they'll be gone forever as well.

On Saturday I spoke with one of the guys at the DB "demo dealer" in North Bend, and he believes that they are likely coming out with some new models as well, even if he either didn't have, or didn't share any specifics.

My guess is that they're unifying the catch/release lineup, and/or building a 29'r trail bike to replace them with. I also think it makes a lot of sense to spread the Level link rear suspension design around the lineup. So I bet a new Mission model(s) is in the making.

If they are telling you that you'll get "more for less", thats a good sign for me personally, as I'm still very much on the "this needs to be a good value for me to consider buying it" side of the spectrum.

Also, I'm curious if they're increasing the seat tube angle at all. That was one criticism that I read in some reviews of the release, even though as a new rider, I freely admit I don't know if have an opinion on/preference for yet.
    Ah, good ole Compass Outdoor Adventures. That's where I bought my 5C a few months back, cool group of guys/gals.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Ford View Post
    Ah, good ole Compass Outdoor Adventures. That's where I bought my 5C a few months back, cool group of guys/gals.

That's the place . I found out they were selling their rental fleet, and drove down on Saturday for a chance to see the bikes in person to see if I wanted to buy one. As it turns out, they were already sold out of my size of Release 3's :/.

Maybe it will be a good thing though, as bikes seem to be improving every year. And perhaps I'll learn enough of my preferences/etc in the mean time that I'll make a better choice.

And, somewhat unrelated, how do you like your Haanjo Trail? I've been riding a 26in hardtail for a while (I commuted with it for 4 years), as I was living in an apt, and I could make the hardtail be both my "road bike", and my mountain bike just by changing the tires, and it didn't take up tons of space.

After moving up here last year though, I've got more room to store things, and I'm thinking it will be better to have a dedicated mountain bike, and road bike. And the Haanjo trail has caught my eye. I just hear worries about toe overlap, and I can't seem to find a place to demo one yet. Maybe I'll contact Diamondback and see if I can visit their place in Kent?

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Interesting stuff. I wanted to buy my wife a Clutch 2 but it no longer exists! No I'm wondering if I should buy a clutch 1 or wait.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Yeah, I'm that a$$hole.
    And, somewhat unrelated, how do you like your Haanjo Trail? I've been riding a 26in hardtail for a while (I commuted with it for 4 years), as I was living in an apt, and I could make the hardtail be both my "road bike", and my mountain bike just by changing the tires, and it didn't take up tons of space.

After moving up here last year though, I've got more room to store things, and I'm thinking it will be better to have a dedicated mountain bike, and road bike. And the Haanjo trail has caught my eye. I just hear worries about toe overlap, and I can't seem to find a place to demo one yet. Maybe I'll contact Diamondback and see if I can visit their place in Kent?
    Eh not unrelated at all, it's still a Diamondback.

I like my Haanjo plenty well enough, I don't really ride it much to be honest. But that has more to do with where I live and not wanting to die anytime soon. Plus I just got my 5C, so new shiny thing.

To address your concern, there is overlap. However, it's pretty easy to manage and once your aware of it, it's never an issue. The bike (17 Hannjo Trail) rides very well and has a pretty sweet spec for the price, I kept most everything stock with the exception of trying some other tires and changing the saddle. Really love those Kenda tires, I didn't expect too, but they are damn comfy and fast. The only part I really wasn't a fan of is the cranks as they cannot be upgraded with Oval rings, nobody makes an oval to fit (least none I could find). In the future I would also like to change the wheels to 27.5 and try some wider tires like the WTB Byway 47, might help the overlap too, but that's a ways off.

So long story short, if you can get over the toe overlap (lots of bikes of this type have it) then it's a pretty sweet bike for the price. I don't regret buying it. Good luck. Let me know if you have any other specific questions.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

poser Administrator
    That's the place . I found out they were selling their rental fleet, and drove down on Saturday for a chance to see the bikes in person to see if I wanted to buy one. As it turns out, they were already sold out of my size of Release 3's :/.

Maybe it will be a good thing though, as bikes seem to be improving every year. And perhaps I'll learn enough of my preferences/etc in the mean time that I'll make a better choice.

I have a carbon trail Haanjo. Commuted for over 2 years on it until I got doored a month ago and broke the frame. I am around 5'10 and rode a large (56cm I think). I debated the large vs the medium but was a little scared about toe overlap as well. I never ran into toe overlap on the large but i also don't think I would mountain bike with it. It has a really high standover due to the frame design. Additionally I had to swap out the stem to a higher rise and shorter stem to make my commuting position better and more comfortable for those long Seattle winters. I have my eye on a Haanjo 7C as a replacement now as they don't make the carbon trail anymore.

As a fast commuter or a cush road bike it is pretty awesome!
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Aug 2018

Bonking ... not feelin' well Release 2

So I have been looking into get the Release 2 for months also. I had some financial issues pop up that caused me to have to delay the purchase. They then sold out on the site. I talked with DB on the site and was told the bike was not going to be restocked but they were coming out with the new year models in Oct.

I also tweeted DB about this and I found out the Release 2 is not being done until next year. (possible the retooling you spoke about). So now I am curious what they are coming out with for around that price with similar components but have to wait until Oct. If nothing close I may have to go with the YT Jeffsey as it is also a good bang for the buck bike. But I am going to hold out. My current $300 HT just broke on me last weekend so I can't ride right now either, bummer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Eh not unrelated at all, it's still a Diamondback.

I like my Haanjo plenty well enough, I don't really ride it much to be honest. But that has more to do with where I live and not wanting to die anytime soon. Plus I just got my 5C, so new shiny thing.

To address your concern, there is overlap. However, it's pretty easy to manage and once your aware of it, it's never an issue. The bike (17 Hannjo Trail) rides very well and has a pretty sweet spec for the price, I kept most everything stock with the exception of trying some other tires and changing the saddle. Really love those Kenda tires, I didn't expect too, but they are damn comfy and fast. The only part I really wasn't a fan of is the cranks as they cannot be upgraded with Oval rings, nobody makes an oval to fit (least none I could find). In the future I would also like to change the wheels to 27.5 and try some wider tires like the WTB Byway 47, might help the overlap too, but that's a ways off.

So long story short, if you can get over the toe overlap (lots of bikes of this type have it) then it's a pretty sweet bike for the price. I don't regret buying it. Good luck. Let me know if you have any other specific questions.
    How tall are you, and what size did you end up getting for the Haanjo?

Where I live I don't have any really amazing riding for a road bike anywhere around me, as its miles of curving hilly roads with no shoulders, which happen to be frequenty traveled by semitrucks/dump trucks. So I'm with you on the whole "not dying" thing.

Still though, I'd like to eventually do a century, and it seems better suited to that task than my hardtail mountain bike .

Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    I have a carbon trail Haanjo. Commuted for over 2 years on it until I got doored a month ago and broke the frame. I am around 5'10 and rode a large (56cm I think). I debated the large vs the medium but was a little scared about toe overlap as well. I never ran into toe overlap on the large but i also don't think I would mountain bike with it. It has a really high standover due to the frame design. Additionally I had to swap out the stem to a higher rise and shorter stem to make my commuting position better and more comfortable for those long Seattle winters. I have my eye on a Haanjo 7C as a replacement now as they don't make the carbon trail anymore.

As a fast commuter or a cush road bike it is pretty awesome!
    Yeah, I've been looking at the Haanjo more as a cush road bike that won't likely snap in half if I drop a curb, more than I have been thinking of it as a fire road/doubletrack mountain bike. The high standover height is a little bit annoying though, as they could have easily dropped it a fair bit by designing it differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerm2006 View Post
    So I have been looking into get the Release 2 for months also. I had some financial issues pop up that caused me to have to delay the purchase. They then sold out on the site. I talked with DB on the site and was told the bike was not going to be restocked but they were coming out with the new year models in Oct.

I also tweeted DB about this and I found out the Release 2 is not being done until next year. (possible the retooling you spoke about). So now I am curious what they are coming out with for around that price with similar components but have to wait until Oct. If nothing close I may have to go with the YT Jeffsey as it is also a good bang for the buck bike. But I am going to hold out. My current $300 HT just broke on me last weekend so I can't ride right now either, bummer.
    So it sounds like we'll know the new models in 1-2 months then, depending on if they meant the beginning or end of October?

I've considered the Jeffsey, and Canyon Spectral, as they also seem to be pretty high value, but like you, I think its worth waiting to see what DB does. Also, the Level Link suspension design seems pretty nice, as half the reason I ride is for fitness, so I want something that pedals well (and Santa Cruz's VPP bikes seem pretty far out of my price range :/).

Yeah, I'm that a$$hole.
    How tall are you, and what size did you end up getting for the Haanjo?

Where I live I don't have any really amazing riding for a road bike anywhere around me, as its miles of curving hilly roads with no shoulders, which happen to be frequenty traveled by semitrucks/dump trucks. So I'm with you on the whole "not dying" thing.

Still though, I'd like to eventually do a century, and it seems better suited to that task than my hardtail mountain bike .
    I'm 6'3.5", I bought the XL/59CM.

Yeah, I've been looking at the Haanjo more as a cush road bike that won't likely snap in half if I drop a curb, more than I have been thinking of it as a fire road/doubletrack mountain bike. The high standover height is a little bit annoying though, as they could have easily dropped it a fair bit by designing it differently.
    The tall standover is the result of DB wanting to give the frame space to add a large sized frame bag, as well as any other goodies one might need for distance gravel riding/touring/bikepacking.

So it sounds like we'll know the new models in 1-2 months then, depending on if they meant the beginning or end of October?

I've considered the Jeffsey, and Canyon Spectral, as they also seem to be pretty high value, but like you, I think its worth waiting to see what DB does. Also, the Level Link suspension design seems pretty nice, as half the reason I ride is for fitness, so I want something that pedals well (and Santa Cruz's VPP bikes seem pretty far out of my price range :/).
    I agree the Level Link pedals amazingly well. The only other bikes I would consider currently would be a Santa Cruz. Though I haven't ridden a YT or Canyon, I'm intrigued. The YT has a very progressive suspension design (good bottom out control) and the Canyon just looks fun, so I wouldn't mind throwing a leg over each.

If I were going to buy a bike today, not a DB, I'd be considering the Nomad or Bronson, in aluminum of course.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I messaged customer support about 6 weeks ago on the release 2 and 3 availability. They said the Release 3 would be back in stock the first week of September and no ETA on the Release 2. Those dates very well could have changed over the past month though. I was hoping to see the Release 3 come back in stock and on sale for Labor Day, but I ended up picking one up elsewhere and I very happy with it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tabbibus View Post
    Interesting stuff. I wanted to buy my wife a Clutch 2 but it no longer exists! No I'm wondering if I should buy a clutch 1 or wait.

Vs a Release, the Clutch has four features that make it different.
    Paint
    Shorter stem
    Narrower handlebars
    Women's seat (wider, shorter nose).

Since the handlebars you can trim and the stem and seat are things you often change anyhow, it shouldn't be a determining factor. I'm a guy and bought a Nashbar Clutch, which worked great, mainly because it cost a lot less than the identical Release. Though in the end I wished I'd bought a M which would have been the right size frame and not an L which fit with the modifications.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Since I'm new to the sport, any idea if it is possible that 2019 models released next month will be discounted before the 2019 riding season really starts up? I'm just curious if its worth it to wait a bit after the new models are released, or if they'll be the same price for the foreseeable future.

For instance, I've read that black friday sales can be good, but I've got no idea if new models are typically discounted as well. Then I've got no idea if there are usually big sales at the beginning of the new year as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Since I'm new to the sport, any idea if it is possible that 2019 models released next month will be discounted before the 2019 riding season really starts up? I'm just curious if its worth it to wait a bit after the new models are released, or if they'll be the same price for the foreseeable future.

For instance, I've read that black friday sales can be good, but I've got no idea if new models are typically discounted as well. Then I've got no idea if there are usually big sales at the beginning of the new year as well.
    Good question. I am also waiting for the new bikes to come out this year. I wish I would have just picked up the Release 2 before it sold out this year because I dont think I can wait until next year.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    I'm excited to see how that Level Link Mission comes out. My wishlist for this bike would be:
    Add to that full internal cable routing, cleaner than that on the current Release. I'm sure they'll have better water bottle placement to make Seth happy. Hope they keep the same red color too.

The Release is a great bike, all they could do for the Mission is basically make it longer travel and slightly slacker and it would kick ass. Be nice to have 170F/160R, maybe even 150R but 10mm more travel could come in handy. Still would be a very good climber with level link and maintain playfulness, but would be more solid for the downhill. Think of how the Transition Patrol (170F/160R) is basically the big brother to the Scout (150F/130R). Not sure if they could even make Release and Mission share the same frame and get things to work by just having different linkage. That could help a lot with value.

Extra set of rock solid wheels with 203mm rotors and it could be taken to the bike park too, not a DH/park specific bike obviously but more capable than the Release.
    Last edited by TBurd01; 09-04-2018 at 02:54 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Can anybody explain Diamondback's release (no pun intended) schedule? I have a Catch 2 that I purchased in 2018 (green color). Apparently that model was released in 2017 (the 2016 version is a different color and spec'd differently). Did they just not release a new model in 2018 at all? Or did they just discountinue the Catch 2 after 2017 and I bought old stock (from DB)?

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I believe the 2018 Catch or Release 2 or 3 have not come out yet...so far your probably better off with a Catch from 2017 as the Releases have been downgrades a bit.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Missions projected March 2019

new Releases Mid October projection

dont ask who i heard this from.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Forbin View Post
    Can anybody explain Diamondback's release (no pun intended) schedule? I have a Catch 2 that I purchased in 2018 (green color). Apparently that model was released in 2017 (the 2016 version is a different color and spec'd differently). Did they just not release a new model in 2018 at all? Or did they just discountinue the Catch 2 after 2017 and I bought old stock (from DB)?
    Here is 2018 Catch 2 listed on Amazon, but it was never made available. Catch 1 was listed on their website, but not available for sale. Keeps saying that it's sold out. At this point I don't think anyone even DB themselves know what their schedule is.
    https://www.amazon.com/Diamondback-B...018&th=1&psc=1

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Speaking of some new bikes.. Doesn't this look like Amazon has all of the new releases up and loaded? Pretty sure this Clutch 1 color scheme is all new.

https://www.amazon.com/Diamondback-B...ondback+clutch

Listed below that is a run down table of the bikes, and their parts...

2019 Diamondbacks-screen-shot-2018-09-04-6.43.35-pm.png

I clicked on a few of those bikes, and a there's quite a few new colors thrown into the mix. Suntour stuff on the lower end bikes, and Fox suspension on the 3/4C/5C. No mention of the catch here. From the Amazon link, you can click on the bikes in the table and check them out.

Not everything looks changed. Obviously the release 1 and 4c/5c don't look very different.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    New Release 3, for example?

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by kamador View Post
    Here is 2018 Catch 2 listed on Amazon, but it was never made available. Catch 1 was listed on their website, but not available for sale. Keeps saying that it's sold out. At this point I don't think anyone even DB themselves know what their schedule is.
    https://www.amazon.com/Diamondback-B...018&th=1&psc=1
    Hey, that's a great catch (again, no pun intended). This is indeed a new version. The original Catch 2 had a dropper post with externally routed cabling, the (green) version I have (2017/2018?) is internal. This blue Catch 2 has the dropper with internal cabling and it looks like they've dropped the RockShox Pike forks for Fox (just like on the 2016).

The Catch 2 is such an awesome bike for the mountain area where I ride. I really hope DB continues the model because I think the plus-sized platform is legit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    So it looks like the changes then, are no more rockshox forks, different tires, and BNG (Bold New Graphics)? Anything else stand out to anyone else that was more familiar with the specs?

Again, I'm still really new, so I'm not really sure how the higher end suntour forks compare to the rockshox models that were replaced. And I'd assume that the general consensus will be that the fox34 is an upgrade over the rockshox model the release 3 had before?

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Well, I found what is essentially a new-in-open-box 2017 Mission 1 for ~$850 delivered. Was looking to supplement my hard tail with a FS bike - a little less of a headache at the end of the day for the rowdy stuff here in western NC. I'd been curious what DB would be doing with the Release, but while the Mission isn't exactly what I wanted from the geometry perspective, it's an acceptable trade off for the price.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Not everything looks changed. Obviously the release 1 and 4c/5c don't look very different.
    Pretty sure the only new models on there are the Clutch 1 and Release 3, which aren't for sale yet, all the others are in stock. Hope they don't change up the 5 that much and/or offer the 4 in red. It looks like the new bikes just say 'Clutch' and 'Release' but lack a model number, so hopefully that means more color options since each model's spec shares a common frame (i.e. Release 1/2/3 same frame, 4C/5C same frame, etc.).

Also hope custom studio will still let you select 11sd drivetrains/spec lower, or they'll sell frame only. Come to think of it, it'd be sweet if you could do custom studio and only buy partial parts with it. No point buying even the cheapest parts if you already have them or they're not what you want. Lowest spec custom studio Release is still a nudge over $4k. A 'custom studio', which I'm sure they charge a bit more for, should be entirely custom. Choose your frame, AL or C, and spec it with whatever they have on their shelves, it takes the same effort for them to build (less if you only build a partial bike).

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Well, I found what is essentially a new-in-open-box 2017 Mission 1 for ~$850 delivered. Was looking to supplement my hard tail with a FS bike - a little less of a headache at the end of the day for the rowdy stuff here in western NC. I'd been curious what DB would be doing with the Release, but while the Mission isn't exactly what I wanted from the geometry perspective, it's an acceptable trade off for the price.
    where did you find this? online? did they have smalls?

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    One off deal, I'm afraid... It was an open box return being resold by an outlet company. Same way I purchased my Rely (women's version of the Mason), which has also been a fantastic bike.

Looking forward to riding the Mission, though it isn't slated to get here until next week. Between it and the hard tail, I should be set for a couple of years.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    New Release 3, for example?

That thing looks badass. Now I gotta decide if I want to wait for that or get the 5c. Originally wanted the 3 because its aluminum and cheaper. But I can easily afford the 5c... hmm....

Can anyone tell if its 1x11/12?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    The info that Speireag posted a few posts up looks like it's 1x11

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    So Diamondback just commented on a photo they put out on their Instagram today. They stated new Release 1 and 3 coming at end of Sept. They don't specify if they are new to the models previous or not though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    It took me a minute to find the post, as I don't Instagram, and their search wasn't intuitive to an "outsider" like me.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BnWbNWJA...iamondbackbike

Interesting that they don't say anything about the Release 2, 4, or 5c. That, combined with the amazon "leak", makes me think the changes are not frame/design based, but likely just swaps for different products (like the amazon link suggests).

I'll be interested to see it when it officially is released (heh), but it doesn't sound like a game changer to me atm.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    They have told me the release 2 is not coming this year both through their site chat and twitter. Thats the one I wanted and kept asking them about.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    So Diamondback just commented on a photo they put out on their Instagram today. They stated new Release 1 and 3 coming at end of Sept. They don't specify if they are new to the models previous or not though.
    Instagram pic was of the 2017 R3 that they were responding to, but didn't make it clear whether it'll be the new 2018 model or again those 2017 ones.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    It took me a minute to find the post, as I don't Instagram, and their search wasn't intuitive to an "outsider" like me.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BnWbNWJA...iamondbackbike

Interesting that they don't say anything about the Release 2, 4, or 5c. That, combined with the amazon "leak", makes me think the changes are not frame/design based, but likely just swaps for different products (like the amazon link suggests).

I'll be interested to see it when it officially is released (heh), but it doesn't sound like a game changer to me atm.
    Yes, geo is staying the same, just component changes.

Some companies have already released their 2019 models, but DB is still dragging their feet with 2018 ones...with 3 months to go in the year.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Looks like Release 5C is not in the custom studio anymore. Wish they would stop dragging their feet on the new bikes. YT Capra looks mighty temping.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    So does the Jeffsy. And they are on sale...man its hard to wait until the end of Sept.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Yeah the Jeffsy is another solid looking bike. The Release with 130/150mm is great, but if I had the money now I'd probably get a Jeffsy. I think it would be a better suit for most trails, but a Capra with a lightweight wheelset and a bike park wheelset could be sweet too. Really interested in the new level-link Mission for that reason, if it has 170/170mm travel and pedals super awesome, than it could be enough to cover trail bike duties while offering enough in the park, great versatility.

I'd like to either have my awesome Sync'r (interested in the new Carbon too and if they'll offer frames) and an AM/Enduro that could handle trails through park, or a sweet trail bike and cheap DH bike which the Sync'r might need to go.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    It will be interesting to see how ďTĒ mans tariffs affect diamondbacks pricing this coming week!

mtbr member
    I was at the LBS and they had already received new price list from Salsa and Niner..... yea, higher taxes FTW!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    according to instagram, we should see some Release 3's around October or so.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Joey47 View Post
    according to instagram, we should see some Release 3's around October or so.
    So they told me via Instagram at an earlier date end of September. I was on the site asking about it again to see if they had a more clean date and I was told they were not end of September and that release 1-5 would be out at the same time but no ETA. If release 2 is not until next year which is what I have been told multiple times since it is what I wanted, then October would not be correct if they are all being released at the same time. I did explain to the sales guy Instagram gave me the information because he asked but told me it was wrong at that time for end of Sept.

Who knows...

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    BTY the 2018 Catch 2 is now up (Sky Blue color)

mtbr member
    May 2010
    damn the specs on it aren't that great. cmon DB

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Yeah, and I believe from what I have seen on Amazon the Release 3 will be very similar specs to that Catch 2 but with 150mm fork and no +size tires. Also I believe it will be black. There were some photos on Amazon of both of these bikes already. No discount on the site either which makes it pretty expensive compared to what they last year models were with better components.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Joey47 View Post
    damn the specs on it aren't that great. cmon DB
    You are not kidding, This isn't specced much better then what the 2017 Release/Catch 1 was. Still NX, Still Level brakes. This suspension may be a tad better then the Yari/Monarch matchup. It has a dropper post.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    The Catch 2 is online and available at the DB website. Interestingly though, not all sizes are available (XL Missing atm).

Also, I can confirm that there is no discount on the new model (no corp discount either, at least for my corp account).

And, as far as the outgoing models being cheaper? Almost none of their older models are in stock in any size. Pretty much only the Release 1 is available in the entire release lineup (5c has size medium in stock, the rest are completely out of stock).

Neither of the 2017 models of catch (1/2) have any sizes in stock.

I didn't bother checking the Atroz models. Not interested in any of them, sorry.

The Mason 2 is out of stock in all sizes, although the Mason 1 is still in stock in all sizes.

The Sync'r is only in stock in size XL, while the Line is only available in small.

So, while I'd love to pick up an older model for a big discount, its not looking like anything else is really available.

Only potential deal out there is the Release 1, especially if they release a new one. But I'm not sure how cheap it would have to get before I get interested in the lower spec.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    why do i have a feeling we'll be upset by the new Releases when then come out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    The release 1 is I believe the 2018 version but yes it is not specd well at all. The amount of money spent on the upgrades would put you above a Jeffsy with better components.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I happened upon some information today on this topic. I was shown some of a pdf of the new models, as I was chatting with a bike store employee while my buddy picked up a used bike (2017 sync'r). I wasn't allowed to use the computer myself, but I saw the few models he showed me, and some others that he scrolled past.

I'm going to be cagey with the details, as I don't want to get anyone in trouble. Hopefully everyone is ok with that, and if you know where I likely was, I'd prefer we all keep it to ourselves, as I really, really would hate to cause problems for anyone.

The new release should be out very soon, as we "knew" previously. Just like we know so far, the changes are all minor spec changes, and color changes. Pricing for the release 3 looks to be very similar to the catch 2. Not sure on the others.

Looks like the whole lineup is getting the refresh treatment. Not just the 3, every model (1,2,3,4c,5c).

Also looked like there were multiple color options for each model. Saw some really good looking bikes in there IMO.

And, look for another variant of the release, that currently doesn't exist.

The new mission should be out in march/april-ish. From the specs, it's going to be a bigger bike than old model. Different suspension travel (also confirmed VPP, as expected), and much slacker as well. Sounds like more of a bike park bike to me, and the employee I spoke to.

Anyway, that's all I really have/can/want to say. Hopefully it's helpful to some. And from the sound of it, we should all know everything here in a relatively short while.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Cool scoop, thanks! Anything on the Sync'r(s)?

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Sorry,didn't see anything on the sync'r, mason, or any other hardtail models unfortunately.

My buddy seems to like his used one though. I'm excited to try his sometime, as I'm still on a 26in xc bike, and want to try some "newer geometry".

Yeah, I'm that a$$hole.
    And, look for another variant of the release, that currently doesn't exist.
    Might this be the XS Carbon Release 5C or something else? I know the XS 5C is coming, spoke with DB employee on the trails here in the PNW.

The new mission should be out in march/april-ish. From the specs, it's going to be a bigger bike than old model. Different suspension travel (also confirmed VPP, as expected), and much slacker as well. Sounds like more of a bike park bike to me, and the employee I spoke to.
    This sounds SUPER promising, can't wait to get some deets. Thanks for the 411
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Might this be the XS Carbon Release 5C or something else? I know the XS 5C is coming, spoke with DB employee on the trails here in the PNW.

This sounds SUPER promising, can't wait to get some deets. Thanks for the 411
    The other variant of the release is not the XS release 5c. It's something not just a different size/color varriant of something that already exists. Its not going to be a huge deal, as It's not an earth shatteringly big change. But still, I think it will be appreciated.

I didn't actually see the new mission specs. I did mention to the employee that I'm still riding my old hardtail while I try to figure out what kind of bike I want. I mentioned it was likely something like the release, or maybe even a mission.

He responded with two specs of the new mission (hta, suspension travel), indicating it was burlier this time around, and may not be as suited to general trail riding as it was last time. Essentially he was helping me know that for me personally, I should be looking more at the release lineup.

But I figured the news would make someone happy .

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Thanks for sharing all that stuff!

Can't think of what the other variant would be other than extra colors and sizing. They already have a plus bike and women's. A 29er would be a big change, I think.

The new mission sounds intriguing but I just sold a bike park bike because "trail" spec fits my actual riding much better.

I wonder why they aren't doing the Release 2 at the same time? That doesn't make any sense to me, and is unfortunate because I am trying to keep prices of the next new trail bike lower. The Release 1 isn't worth upgrading into a decent bike in my opinion, there are better bikes out there for how much that would cost. The Release 3 spec is great, but really curious about price. You said it would be similar to the new Catch 2 (2500), but the specs are pretty darn similar between Release/Catch/Clutch of the same numbers. The Amazon chart shows some decent upgrades in drivetrain, brakes and dropper when comparing, which makes it seem like it would cost more than the Catch 2.

Any chance you know what time of year the Release 2 is supposed to come back?

Also, I bet the corp discount doesn't show on the new Catch 2 (and Clutch 1) because those are the only two left that have 2017 models in stock. If they gave the same discount, people would be less inclined to buy the old model vs new model. Seems like a silly way to do it, they should just put the old ones on sale like a normal company.

Also noticed the new models list the hubs as 5 bearing vs 4 bearing. I wonder if they updated the hub design... I think I read that there was some common rear hub problem on Releases before.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by boobiebuglione View Post
    Thanks for sharing all that stuff!

Can't think of what the other variant would be other than extra colors and sizing. They already have a plus bike and women's. A 29er would be a big change, I think.

The new mission sounds intriguing but I just sold a bike park bike because "trail" spec fits my actual riding much better.

I wonder why they aren't doing the Release 2 at the same time? That doesn't make any sense to me, and is unfortunate because I am trying to keep prices of the next new trail bike lower. The Release 1 isn't worth upgrading into a decent bike in my opinion, there are better bikes out there for how much that would cost. The Release 3 spec is great, but really curious about price. You said it would be similar to the new Catch 2 (2500), but the specs are pretty darn similar between Release/Catch/Clutch of the same numbers. The Amazon chart shows some decent upgrades in drivetrain, brakes and dropper when comparing, which makes it seem like it would cost more than the Catch 2.

Any chance you know what time of year the Release 2 is supposed to come back?

Also, I bet the corp discount doesn't show on the new Catch 2 (and Clutch 1) because those are the only two left that have 2017 models in stock. If they gave the same discount, people would be less inclined to buy the old model vs new model. Seems like a silly way to do it, they should just put the old ones on sale like a normal company.

Also noticed the new models list the hubs as 5 bearing vs 4 bearing. I wonder if they updated the hub design... I think I read that there was some common rear hub problem on Releases before.
    As far as I know, it sounds like the new stuff is coming soon. I didn't hear anything about not doing a release 2, and he straight up showed me the PDF pages for the Release 1, 2, 3, and 5c. Only really lingered on the 1-3 though.

I have a few more details on a few tiny changes, but, basically it boils down to "spec changes on some of the models", as the amazon chart shows. So not really worth mentioning.

From the sound of it, the shop itself was expecting a shipment of new bikes in the next week or so. I didn't ask what was in that shipment, but he did say for sure they were getting new Release 3's in it, but as the PDF absolutely had an updated release 2, I imagine that it "is" coming out, and would make sense to be released/announced at the same time as the rest of the new models.

As far as the Catch 2 is concerned, I'm not seeing anything in stock for the 2017 model at all, and there wasn't when I checked earlier in the week either. Maybe you're seeing different data where you are?

Pricing I was quoted on the Release 3 could have been the shops retail price, I neglected to ask, so maybe the MSRP could be a bit different. But it was for sure ballpark of the Catch 2 2019 (the blue one). And based on that, I don't expect the other release models to be "meaningfully" different from their old MSRP value for the same model.

Oh, one other thing. He mentioned that DB was moving away from "model years" of bikes a bit, and... I guess more like how apple does hardware, where you get a refresh date that lasts for a year or few before the next "refresh". That may explain why we didn't have any proper 2018 models, etc.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    I assume they are making the changes on the web now and will see the Releases. New things are popping up and it definitely showed stock when I posted that. The Amazon link for the Release 3 now looks purchasable and says usually ships within 1-2 weeks. It does show a $2850 price though. That combined with myself and others being told that the Release 2 wasn't coming until 2019 by multiple people in DB as well as it not matching up with the Catch 2 spec makes me wonder what's going to really happen with price - regarding the different pricing you saw. I guess we'll know soon enough. I'm just being impatient and want to choose my new bike already haha.

Your comment on moving away from model years makes sense, although that seems kinda weird for them to do. DB does plenty of weird things tho.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    All said and done, the guy I talked to only works at the bike shop. He isn't a DB employee, so he/I could very well be way off. It's also possible that DB has changed things up in the 1mon or so since most people talked to them about the new releases. It's even possible that the guy mis said something.

Or maybe the pdf does have all the model info, but they ship/are available on different dates?

Only thing I was actually told was they were expecting a shipment of release 3's soon. We never talked dates for any of the others. I just know that that since they were in the catalog, they are coming, sometime.

And yeah,waiting is hard. And having finally rode my first "real" mountain bike trail the other day, I'm realizing i may want to practice more with what I've got before I head out and spend more, this more waiting.

Yeah, I'm that a$$hole.
    Guess it's time to stop by North Bend and take a look at this promo info.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Just checked for kicks and giggles right as the clock rolled around to Oct.

The new Clutch 1 is up. And I must say, it looks a lot better than the last model IMO. I'm still not the best on determining which spec is better (still getting into the sport, and half the specs are still just model numbers to me).

https://www.diamondback.com/catalog/.../category/150/

Didn't see anything else though. I guess I'll just keep habitually refreshing their lineup page...

Although, I must say, Diamondback may have yet another competitor in this price range. The newly announced Norco Fluid FS seems to have incredible value, with even the lowest priced offering having a dropper post/etc. Similar looking geometry as well.

Will be interesting to see how things shake out from here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Is it just me or did the prior Clutch 1 seem to have better specs?

The new Clutch 1 is up. And I must say, it looks a lot better than the last model IMO. I'm still not the best on determining which spec is better (still getting into the sport, and half the specs are still just model numbers to me).

Didn't see anything else though. I guess I'll just keep habitually refreshing their lineup page...

Although, I must say, Diamondback may have yet another competitor in this price range. The newly announced Norco Fluid FS seems to have incredible value, with even the lowest priced offering having a dropper post/etc. Similar looking geometry as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    No I think you're right, the Clutch 1 is pretty close to identical to the Release 1 other than the obvious changes (same with the Catch 1 for that matter), and all of them were spec'ed better in previous years if I remember right. At least the colorways are better?

Those Norco Fluids are OK bikes and it is nice that Norco is including a dropper at that price point, but I don't think they are up to par on components, and it is only 130/120mm travel. If someone is looking at a Release 1, the Giant Trance 3 is a good alternative that has similar spec and includes what you'd want to upgrade. The Release 2 is where there isn't much competition. Closest thing would be a YT Jeffsy (?) for a little more, but once you start comparing with "a little more" of course you're going to see some better specs on some more expensive bikes. It's spec'ed closer to a Release 3 if my memory serves me right.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by boobiebuglione View Post
    No I think you're right, the Clutch 1 is pretty close to identical to the Release 1 other than the obvious changes (same with the Catch 1 for that matter), and all of them were spec'ed better in previous years, at least in my opinion. At least the colorways are better?

Those Norco Fluids are OK bikes and it is nice that Norco is including a dropper at that price point, but I don't think they are up to par on components and it is only 130/120mm travel. If someone is looking at a Release 1, get a Giant Trance 3 instead. If someone is looking at a Release 2, that's where there isn't much competition. Closest thing would be a YT Jeffsy for a little more, but once you start comparing with "a little more" of course you'e going to see some better specs on some more expensive bikes.

Yea, this Catch looks the same as the Release. Everything is a downgrade. Not saying it's a bad bike, but it went from 1x11 to 1x10, Aion fork vs a Yari (Don't get me wrong, Aion is pretty solid). Brakes are comparable.

The new Norco Fluid is pretty solid, but it's fork is one step below the Aion. The dropper is nice.

Outside of the Trance having a dropper they are pretty much the same bike spec wise. Also the Release 1 can be had for $1575 with corp discount. I'd still take a Release 1 over a trance 3

You can still get a Clutch 1 2017 in a large right now for $1520...that's the best deal you can find.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by bmied31 View Post
    Outside of the Trance having a dropper they are pretty much the same bike spec wise. Also the Release 1 can be had for $1575 with corp discount. I'd still take a Release 1 over a trance 3

You can still get a Clutch 1 2017 in a large right now for $1520...that's the best deal you can find.
    Yeah I edited my post right after - realized that came out wrong. I do still think the Trance is of similar value and I think it has a better rear shock, wheels/hubs and tires. That paired with the price of adding a decent dropper to the Release 1 makes them comparable in my mind. Plus the Giant name, LBS support and that the model is a 2019 rather than 2018 should all help resale.

Another pretty good deal: https://www.amazon.com/Diamondback-B...ase&th=1&psc=1

It's a little dated but it's spec'ed well and has the same frame. It was showing 1350 for the large the other day.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Yea, this Catch looks the same as the Release. Everything is a downgrade. Not saying it's a bad bike, but it went from 1x11 to 1x10, Aion fork vs a Yari (Don't get me wrong, Aion is pretty solid). Brakes are comparable.

The new Norco Fluid is pretty solid, but it's fork is one step below the Aion. The dropper is nice.

Thanks for the insight. As I said, I'm still learning the minutia of the specific differences between specs. So I appreciate the summary.

The lowest end Fluid comes in under the Release 1 price point (not counting corp pricing), so I'm not surprised that the fork is a lower spec. I was just surprised how cheap the bike was, while having relatively competitive components. But its good info I wasn't aware of yet .

They also have a few specs that come in close to the Release 2/3 price points.

Anyway, not trying to derail this, just was mentioning that there was another fairly close competitor in the market at this time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Gotta say... Seeing all of these bikes & spec sheets makes me really happy that I found that new in box Mission 1.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Thanks for the insight. As I said, I'm still learning the minutia of the specific differences between specs. So I appreciate the summary.

The lowest end Fluid comes in under the Release 1 price point (not counting corp pricing), so I'm not surprised that the fork is a lower spec. I was just surprised how cheap the bike was, while having relatively competitive components. But its good info I wasn't aware of yet .

They also have a few specs that come in close to the Release 2/3 price points.

Anyway, not trying to derail this, just was mentioning that there was another fairly close competitor in the market at this time.

There are quite a few good options now.

1. [Marin Hawk Hill 1 $1400](https://www.performancebike.com/shop...e-2018-31-6715)

2. [Marin Rift Zone 1 $1400](https://www.performancebike.com/shop...e-2018-31-8472)

3. [Calibre Bossnut V.2 899 in GBP's (With fee's and shipping I think it comes out to like $1500 USD)](https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/calibre...n-bike-p403001)

4. [Calibre Bossnut Evo 999 in GBP's (see above)](https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/calibre...n-bike-p431792)

6. [Vitus Escapre $1487]
    (Vitus Escarpe Suspension Bike - Deore 1x10 2018 | Chain Reaction Cycles)

7. [Norco Fluid FS4 $1650]
    (https://www.norco.com/bikes/mountain...um/fluid-fs-4/)

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    There are quite a few good options now.

1. [Marin Hawk Hill 1 $1400](https://www.performancebike.com/shop...e-2018-31-6715)

2. [Marin Rift Zone 1 $1400](https://www.performancebike.com/shop...e-2018-31-8472)

3. [Calibre Bossnut V.2 899 in GBP's (With fee's and shipping I think it comes out to like $1500 USD)](https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/calibre...n-bike-p403001)

4. [Calibre Bossnut Evo 999 in GBP's (see above)](https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/calibre...n-bike-p431792)

6. [Vitus Escapre $1487]
    (Vitus Escarpe Suspension Bike - Deore 1x10 2018 | Chain Reaction Cycles)

7. [Norco Fluid FS4 $1650]
    (https://www.norco.com/bikes/mountain...um/fluid-fs-4/)
    It looks like that Norco Fluid is available with 27.5 wheels in only XS and S sizes. All other sizes are 29" wheels. And the dropper is only 120mm for all sizes even XL. Could be an issue for some.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    The Vitus Escarpe VR looks like a pretty sweet bike as well. I was considering it until I read about duty, etc getting it in the US. Makes it less competitive while comparing and more of a headache. US resale might be a bit harder too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    It looks like that Norco Fluid is available with 27.5 wheels in only XS and S sizes. All other sizes are 29" wheels. And the dropper is only 120mm for all sizes even XL. Could be an issue for some.
    Is that suppose to be a bad thing that it's in 29". And 120mm dropper is still way better then no dropper. I have only a 120 on my Release 1 and would like more, but it's still a game changer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Is that suppose to be a bad thing that it's in 29". And 120mm dropper is still way better then no dropper. I have only a 120 on my Release 1 and would like more, but it's still a game changer.
    No, not a bad thing. Ikd, I just thought that it was weird that u had to go with 29" if u wanted anything but a S size frame. Especially since people prefer one or the other.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    No, not a bad thing. Ikd, I just thought that it was weird that u had to go with 29" if u wanted anything but a S size frame. Especially since people prefer one or the other.
    The press release for the norco says that xs-m are offered in 27.5, while m - xl are offered in 29. Which means size M is the only size frame that you can choose wheel sizes on.

Meanwhile, patiently waiting new DB info...

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Or no so patiently in my case haha.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018

Diamondback back is losing me here
    Specís on this yearís Catch slightly less

Is DB reading these boars.

https://www.diamondback.com/catch-2-41

ligh

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Still no release 3 on the DB site after week 1 of Oct. Weird thing was they brought the Release 2 back onto the site when it was removed for a while. We also know they wont be coming out with a new release 2 any time soon so I don't understand why they do what they do on their site. Also the release 3 is up on amazon site but it states 1-2 weeks before shipping. Not sure if any have bee shipped or not but some were already selling out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    The rough part about not having official timings for the announcement, and instead "October", means that we have no idea if they meant "beginning of Oct", or "End of Oct".

But I agree, the waiting kind of sucks.

I'm taking the "extra" time to scope things out, and try to figure out exactly what I want. Diamondback bikes are a great value, but not the only one in town. Plus, I'm still trying to decide if I want a hardtail, plus HT, or full suspension bike. My likely main riding partner just picked up a used Sync'r, and I don't think he'll upgrade next season. I'm not sure it would be as fun to be riding wildly different categories of bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    New Release 3 is listed on DB.com.

It is only available in one of the new colors I saw in the PDF version of the catalog. Also, as others hypothesized, the MSRP is a bit higher than the Catch2. Surprisingly, after corp discount, its cheaper than the Catch 2. Not sure whats going on there... but it seems a better deal IMO.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    New Release 3 is listed on DB.com.

It is only available in one of the new colors I saw in the PDF version of the catalog. Also, as others hypothesized, the MSRP is a bit higher than the Catch2. Surprisingly, after corp discount, its cheaper than the Catch 2. Not sure whats going on there... but it seems a better deal IMO.
    It appears the Corp discount is between 15-20% on most bikes. I think eventually Catch 2 will be offered with that discount, so most likely it'll be about $2070.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    It appears the Corp discount is between 15-20% on most bikes. I think eventually Catch 2 will be offered with that discount, so most likely it'll be about $2070.
    True, it most bikes do seem to be somewhere in that discount spectrum. There are some that are outside that range (like, sadly, the Release 2).

For whatever reason though, the Catch 2 has been at MSRP since its becoming available, but like you, I expect it to drop eventually. I just find it interesting that the Release 3 is already discounted.

Anyway, nothing else really new it seems. Looks like most of the Amazon specs are correct. But at least its available now, and it is "official".

Curious to see when the other bikes I saw will be unveiled, and if they'll get any more fanfare. The Release 3 just appeared on their website somewhere in the last few hours (I totally don't know that because I check for new bikes there every few hours when I'm bored...).

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Yeah I went ahead and picked up the release 3 with the discount. I couldnt pass it up this time. I have been mad I kept putting off the release 2 until it was too late. I will try to post some pictures when it comes in. Wish me the best!

Rocks belong
    First rule of fight club...?
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Yeah I went ahead and picked up the release 3 with the discount. I couldnt pass it up this time. I have been mad I kept putting off the release 2 until it was too late. I will try to post some pictures when it comes in. Wish me the best!
    I wish I was that good at making snap decisions .

Please give an update when you get it. I'm sure people like me will need a few pangs of jealousy to help kick us into action.

Also, I noticed that the sizing guide is different for the new release 3. The new Release 3 says XL is for 5'11" - 6'2", while the "old" Release 2 (same frame as far as we know, and the geo chart seems to say that too), shows the XL being sized for riders 6'2" - 6'6".

I wonder why?

mtbr member
    Aug 2018

Please give an update when you get it. I'm sure people like me will need a few pangs of jealousy to help kick us into action.

Also, I noticed that the sizing guide is different for the new release 3.

I wonder why?
    Yeah well I had the money saved up for the comp Jeffsey but I really wanted the release level link for over a year now. I missed the release 2 and with the discount on the 3 at 2350 I couldn't pass up. I also am worried the prices are about to sky rocket on bike and I really need a new one.

I noticed the size changes also. I was always in between a SM and MD (5'7") and was not sure which to get but now MD says it starts at 5'5" which makes that part easier.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Not thrilled about those specs. Release doesn't look like the no brainier it was before. Now it's good but comparable

mtbr member

Also, I noticed that the sizing guide is different for the new release 3. The new Release 3 says XL is for 5'11" - 6'2", while the "old" Release 2 (same frame as far as we know, and the geo chart seems to say that too), shows the XL being sized for riders 6'2" - 6'6".

I wonder why?
    Because these frames are too small, without enough stack or reach - but people are going to run into dropper post insertion issues at these "new" recommended sizes.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

Yeah, I'm that a$$hole.
    Quote Originally Posted by watermonkey View Post
    Because these frames are too small, without enough stack or reach - but people are going to run into dropper post insertion issues at these "new" recommended sizes.
    Werd! I'm 6'4", my 150 post barely fits with the XL frame.

I just jumped on chat to let them know, they are going to have the site team review it. Chat tech seemed confused as well, definitely thought it was off.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I got a 170 OneUp in my Med 5C frame, but the internal cable routing channel needed some modifying to allow it to fit and the post's actuation to work properly.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Werd! I'm 6'4", my 150 post barely fits with the XL frame.

I just jumped on chat to let them know, they are going to have the site team review it. Chat tech seemed confused as well, definitely thought it was off.
    Sorry, maybe I'm a bit dense. Which part exactly was DB chat confused about? The size/fit chart changing? Or the dropper post length?

Curious to hear the outcome of the chat. They seem to be pretty responsive there in general.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017

2018 Release 1

The wife just bought me the new release 1 for my birthday. It only took a couple days to get to our house. Helps being in SoCal within a few hrs of their warehouse. Bike is amazing, sure itís a lower spec than my sons 2017 R1 but for me coming from an old Response comp itís like night and day.

It took a couple miles to get used to the peddle strikes and front tire being way out in front of the bike but she corners like a dream, and actually being able to roost around corners was reminding me of my old MX days.

The teal paint job is way better in person, even the fedex guy was impressed (I opened the box before he took off just in case there was something wrong with it).

I think the wife is a little jealous since I spent so much time taking pictures of it during our first ride

Yeah, I'm that a$$hole.
    Sorry, maybe I'm a bit dense. Which part exactly was DB chat confused about? The size/fit chart changing? Or the dropper post length?

Curious to hear the outcome of the chat. They seem to be pretty responsive there in general.
    Size chart changing

#THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

poser Administrator

I wonder why?
    I just ordered a Haanjo 7C and when it came it was sized differently (on the label) than my previous Haanjo Trail Carbon. Both were Large but my old one said "fits 5'9" to 6'0"" and the new one says "Fits 5'11" to 6'2"". They are exactly the same frame and same dimensions. If anything for me they fit well at 5'10" so I am not sure what happened with their sizing.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluroo View Post
    The wife just bought me the new release 1 for my birthday. It only took a couple days to get to our house. Helps being in SoCal within a few hrs of their warehouse. Bike is amazing, sure itís a lower spec than my sons 2017 R1 but for me coming from an old Response comp itís like night and day.

It took a couple miles to get used to the peddle strikes and front tire being way out in front of the bike but she corners like a dream, and actually being able to roost around corners was reminding me of my old MX days.

The teal paint job is way better in person, even the fedex guy was impressed (I opened the box before he took off just in case there was something wrong with it).

I think the wife is a little jealous since I spent so much time taking pictures of it during our first ride
    We want pics too!! Congrats on the new ride!

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Glad to here it...The 2018 Release it's def a downgrade but still a great bike. Deore 1x10 is super capable and the Aion fork is nothing to scoff at. I love Suntour's stuff one you get above the XCR coil. I have a Auron on my Release 1 and it freaking rips.

I just wish they would put a matching Suntour shock on instead of the XFusion.

Yeah, I'm that a$$hole.
    Quote Originally Posted by cconely View Post
    I got a 170 OneUp in my Med 5C frame, but the internal cable routing channel needed some modifying to allow it to fit and the post's actuation to work properly.

Curious, sent you a PM. Thanks
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

Yeah, I'm that a$$hole.
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    I just ordered a Haanjo 7C and when it came it was sized differently (on the label) than my previous Haanjo Trail Carbon. Both were Large but my old one said "fits 5'9" to 6'0"" and the new one says "Fits 5'11" to 6'2"". They are exactly the same frame and same dimensions. If anything for me they fit well at 5'10" so I am not sure what happened with their sizing.
    Yeah the actual sizing still seems the same, that recommendation though is sure to confuse and possibly piss off a few buyers when they realize the bike they bought is way to big and the post won't work. 5'10"-6'2" on an XL is laughable, that would never work, at 6'4" the XL barely works for me, I have maybe .5" of leeway with the dropper.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by MOONER718 View Post
    We want pics too!! Congrats on the new ride!
    Still trying. To figure out the pic thing, I have been able to post pics from external links before. But the copy and past thing ainít working for me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Glad to here it...The 2018 Release it's def a downgrade but still a great bike. Deore 1x10 is super capable and the Aion fork is nothing to scoff at. I love Suntour's stuff one you get above the XCR coil. I have a Auron on my Release 1 and it freaking rips.

I just wish they would put a matching Suntour shock on instead of the XFusion.
    Yeah I agree, Iím looking at the suntour Triair for a future upgrade..(dropper first) and Iím stoked on the Aion fork. Auron maybe down the road.
    https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/05...g?v=1506549703

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast