2019 Diamondbacks - Page 4- Mtbr.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by garrybunk View Post
    Thanks for that. So was your love of the Catch...

-Garry
    Even with the Catch I ended up settling on true 2.6" tires front and rear. I feel like that size is the perfect compromise between ride feel, grip, and aggressive cornering. I'm a bit bummed that the release only accepts about 2.5" but close enough I guess. And hey, we all started out huffing and puffing including me. Now I ride up to 15 miles at high elevation and don't even bring water along, no problem. Riding is the most fun way to get into shape!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Completely disappointed in the Release 29. It's such a weird bike that really doesn't look to fit in anywhere, really. 67.7 degree HTA and 73 degree STA. The bottom bracket is a mile off the ground.

Release 29 3. $3299
    Release 29 2. $2699

2019 Diamondbacks-62ea82db20c76623ddbdc0f1c3942150.png

https://www.diamondback.com/release2...1897_d1533b775

Trying to be helpful
    Quote Originally Posted by brucevilanch View Post
    Completely disappointed in the Release 29. It's such a weird bike that really doesn't look to fit in anywhere, really. 67.7 degree HTA and 73 degree STA. The bottom bracket is a mile off the ground.

Release 29 3. $3299
    Release 29 2. $2699

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	62ea82db20c76623ddbdc0f1c3942150.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	133.4 KB 
ID:	1240483

https://www.diamondback.com/release2...1897_d1533b775
    Your not alone, not winning anyone over with this thing. Truly sad for DB, they totally missed the mark.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2018 Diamondback Release 5C
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'm glad I'm not alone in this. I've been waiting forever for the 29er version and this is a huge letdown for me.

Another thing that is strange is that there's nothing on any of their social media about this bike, or that it was unveiled at Sedona bike fest. Absolutely terrible marketing.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Ford View Post
    Your not alone, not winning anyone over with this thing. Truly sad for DB, they totally missed the mark.
    Quick disclaimer - I'm asking to get clarification on your opinion, not asserting that you are wrong: Aside from a steepish HA and subsequent shorter wheelbase, what about this bike is totally missing the mark? The BB height is going to be ~10mm higher than the 27.5 equivalent, so could be dropped a bit more than it has been, but seems decent for a bigger wheeled bike.

I love my 5C, and I'm curious to hear some ride reports on the 29ers before I judge it too harshly based on geometry numbers.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    This bikes geometry would have been current 5 years ago and I think it will ride like an XC bike with too much suspension. Long travel 29ers are killing it right now because companies figured out how to make them playful and fast, but this isn't one of them. This bike will definitely be a better climber than a descender and that's not what I'm looking for at the moment. I don't think the 29 will be anything close to what people loved about their release 27.5. The 29 just seems so vanilla to me. Couple that with the price point and it's not a bike I'm even considering.

Trying to be helpful
    Quote Originally Posted by cconely View Post
    Quick disclaimer - I'm asking to get clarification on your opinion, not asserting that you are wrong: Aside from a steepish HA and subsequent shorter wheelbase, what about this bike is totally missing the mark? The BB height is going to be ~10mm higher than the 27.5 equivalent, so could be dropped a bit more than it has been, but seems decent for a bigger wheeled bike.

I love my 5C, and I'm curious to hear some ride reports on the 29ers before I judge it too harshly based on geometry numbers.
    I too love my 5C, it too could use a redesign (needs more tire clearance), but no big thats what the *coming soon* 2019 Mission Pro is for.

IMHO, they missed the mark by just rebranding the Catch as the Release 29 and not designing a new bike from the ground up. There is literally nothing revolutionary or exciting about this bike, anyone with a Catch can put 29" wheels on their bike and it be the same thing. I just think they should've given it more respect and thought, than just new paint and stickers that say Release 29.

Personally, I would've loved to see it with a slightly steeper seat tube, slacker HA (say 65), drop the standover, make the seat tube lengths more modern (the XL as most should be a 19 or even 18.5) and put a damned water bottle in the frame. Oh and give it more tire clearance, up to a 29 x 2.8.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Exactly. Lower and slacker would have been on point. This is is just a lazy attempt at milking money off the Release name and the long travel 29er populaity.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Exactly. Lower and slacker would have been on point. This is is just a lazy attempt at milking money off the Release name and the long travel 29er populaity.
    Thank you both for the feedback. I am awaiting the new Mission (won't get one, but looking forward to hearing about 'em) and to how the Release 29er actually rides. Could obviously be lower and slacker per modern 'progressive geometry', but always like to hear some actual ride reports!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Yeah, the Mission may be the bike that blows everyone away. I'm not buying anything for a few months, and the Mission should be pretty close to being unveiled.

Trying to be helpful
    Yeah, the Mission may be the bike that blows everyone away. I'm not buying anything for a few months, and the Mission should be pretty close to being unveiled.
    Sadly still doesn't look like DB has learned how to put a bottle inside the frame, that's my only concern.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I haven't compared the geo's yet...is the 29er Release literally just a catch frame? There are no tweaks?

Trying to be helpful
    Quote Originally Posted by bmied31 View Post
    I haven't compared the geo's yet...is the 29er Release literally just a catch frame? There are no tweaks?
    It would appear, the only real difference is head angle and that's only different because of the 29er fork being taller (Fox 34 29 a2c = 547, Fox 34 27.5+ a2c = 535).
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Sadly still doesn't look like DB has learned how to put a bottle inside the frame, that's my only concern.
    True. I just switched from taking my pack everywhere to taking just a bottle. That would suck having it to back to the pack.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018

mtbr member
    May 2017
    True. I just switched from taking my pack everywhere to taking just a bottle. That would suck having it to back to the pack.
    Someone posted a link to these universal cage mounts in another thread.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm using a pair to mount my bottle on the top tube on my Catch. Keeps it clean and is really convenient while riding.2019 Diamondbacks-20190301_074202-1-.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    This really sucks to hear about the Release, I was researching bikes the past couple of months out of curiosity of what I would get if/when I actually had the money for a full suspension. It was always between the Release and Spectral, the only thing that would prevent that would be a good direct to consumer (because of price) 29er. Haven't found a 29er that is good enough to be honest, I tested a Neuron and a Spectral last weekend and as much fun as the Neuron was, it just didn't make me feel like it had the extra potential that the longer travel Spectral has. Now seeing the news with the Release I'm pretty solid on the Spectral. I was told a couple months ago by DB on chat that the Release would be the mainstay as the 27.5 and the Mission would be the 29er for DB, but apparently they're trying to short change the Release as a 29 inch wheel size to maybe grab some of the market hype around 29 inch bikes. It's kind of a shame, I really like my DB hard tail. As it stands now, unless a cheap well spec'd 29er comes along between now and the day I can afford a new bike, the Spectral is the one to beat.

Also, what's with the price? $3300 for the Release 29 3 and the gear on it is worse than the $2800 Spectral.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    New R2 and R3 are up on DB's site.

https://www.diamondback.com/release-3-d42

https://www.diamondback.com/release-2-d42

No changes, same geo.

Trying to be helpful
    Also a new (paint) Release 4C Carbon. Like the paint scheme.

With regards to kamador's response about geo changes, not surprised, doubtful we'll see anything for a couple years if at all.

Other interesting things worth noting, at least to me, none of the newer Release models come with the Maxxis WT tires, their all still 2.3 f&r. Would've been a worthy and relatively cheap upgrade spec to make. Also, the only full sus on the page not getting corp discount is the Release 29 3, odd.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Also a new (paint) Release 4C Carbon. Like the paint scheme.

With regards to kamador's response about geo changes, not surprised, doubtful we'll see anything for a couple years if at all.
    And that's unfortunate. To be fair, I don't consider DB as a leader/innovator in the industry, but I mean if u can't even keep up with ur competition how do u expect to survive? At least copy them just to stay in the game.

Trying to be helpful
    Quote Originally Posted by kamador View Post
    And that's unfortunate. To be fair, I don't consider DB as a leader/innovator in the industry, but I mean if u can't even keep up with ur competition how do u expect to survive? At least copy them just to stay in the game.
    Well DB is a very small fish in a very large pond both industry wide and in regards to it's corporate environment. The cost of making changes to carbon molds that aren't even 2 years old is insane, not something DB is ready to foot the bill for.

Now I know what your thinking, but the alu versions don't require a mold, jigs can be adjusted. True, but that would be Carbon bike suicide. If DB released the alu bikes with updated geo, they would likely never sell a Carbon Release, again not cost effective or logical.

Plus these bikes are going to be irrelevant in a few months when the Mission Pro Carbon is released. I've heard August as the latest date for release, at least that is what DB is shooting for.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    They must be selling enough of them as-is to be satisfied? Or not selling enough to justify the cost of retooling? It wouldn't take much to fully modernize the geo. Bump the STA up by 3-4*, slacken the HTA 1*, maybe a short-offset fork and boom, you've got a VPP/LL Scout. The STA was the #1 reason I decided to pass on the Release when buying a new bike recently (went GG Shred Dogg).

Bit of a mixed bag compared to the 2018 R3. Better shock, better brakes, downgraded drivetrain (this one is arguable, but IMO SRAM XD cassettes are just better), higher price. And for Dog's sake put the BB height in the geo chart.

2017 R3 was by far the best build they've offered (https://www.rei.com/product/108750/d...-275-bike-2017) and they sold it for $2500 at the time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Well DB is a very small fish in a very large pond both industry wide and in regards to it's corporate environment. The cost of making changes to carbon molds that aren't even 2 years old is insane, not something DB is ready to foot the bill for.

Now I know what your thinking, but the alu versions don't require a mold, jigs can be adjusted. True, but that would be Carbon bike suicide. If DB released the alu bikes with updated geo, they would likely never sell a Carbon Release, again not cost effective or logical.

Plus these bikes are going to be irrelevant in a few months when the Mission Pro Carbon is released. I've heard August as the latest date for release, at least that is what DB is shooting for.
    Good points, Guy. But I think the geo on the carbon models was already a bit on the conservative side by those days' standards when it was released. So now DB is stuck in this catch up mode, but can't make changes to the alu versions before making changes to carbon ones as it's too expensive as u pointed out.

I guess the best bet is to wait for the Mission at this point.

Trying to be helpful
    Quote Originally Posted by RMCDan View Post
    And for Dog's sake put the BB height in the geo chart.
    It's listed, maybe your understanding of geometry isn't up to date? Maybe this can help https://www.bikecad.ca/bb_drop

Quote Originally Posted by RMCDan
    2017 R3 was by far the best build they've offered in aluminum and they sold it for $2500 at the time.
    I fixed that for you. I'd argue spec wise the 5C was leaps and bounds ahead of everything, XO1 Eagle, Fox Performance Elite DPX2 and 36 Fit 4, higher end wheelset, better tires, carbon cranks, Carbon frame and all for only $3500, R3 didn't even come close even at 2500.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    It's listed, maybe your understanding of geometry isn't up to date? Maybe this can help https://www.bikecad.ca/bb_drop
    Yeah, I know how the relationship between BB height/drop works. Lots of people don't, and it's commonly listed in most other companies' geo charts. Just put another line in the table.

I fixed that for you. I'd argue spec wise the 5C was leaps and bounds ahead of everything, XO1 Eagle, Fox Performance Elite DPX2 and 36 Fit 4, higher end wheelset, better tires, carbon cranks, Carbon frame and all for only $3500, R3 didn't even come close even at 2500.
    Yeah, best spec in Al, and that $2.5k was straight off the website with no corp discount. So, more like $2k less than the 5C apples-to-apples and still a ton of bike for the price.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    So the rumor for the VPP mission is now August? Last I heard it was supposed to be springish, but I haven't checked in a while.

Also, not sure I'd say the Release lineup will be irrelevant after the Mission comes out though. From what I've heard, the new Mission is going to be a way bigger bike than the release (I mean, like 30mm more travel at least, ~3 degree slacker HTA, etc), so I'm not sure how many people would be cross shopping between them.

But I agree, I'd love to see the Release updated. I just don't think thats likely at this point.

Trying to be helpful
    LOL. Apologies. What I meant to imply was the issue of outdated geo will be irrelevant, if your looking for a bike with better geo the Mission will (should) have it. I don't think the Release is going anywhere for quite some time.

Sadly DB doesn't have Santa Cruz or Specialized money so not going to see bikes updated or new releases as often.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    My catch 2 has a similar Head Angle and it has been a great bike. I do all sorts of jumping and dropping on it and I am a heavy dude. I think people just get too caught up in numbers. I understand it might not be what someone is looking for but they are well speced for the price imho

They criticized the bb on the catch and people were changing to 29Ē and saying it was perfect. Now they get it stock and it is still no good
    Last edited by Morris759; 1 Week Ago at 05:46 PM.

Trying to be helpful
    Quote Originally Posted by Morris759 View Post
    My catch 2 has a similar Head Angle and it has been a great bike. I do all sorts of jumping and dropping on it and I am a heavy dude. I think people just get too cought up in numbers. I understand it might not be what someone is looking for but they are well speced for the price imho

They criticized the bb on the catch and people were changing to 29Ē and saying it was perfect. Now they get it stock and it is still no good 🤷*♂️
    Well some number can make a hell of a difference and definitely change how the bike handles & performs. Take the Release 5C, bottom bracket on that thing is low, I hit my pedals from time to time, even with a longer fork. Which brings up another thing, HA, with a 160mm fork on the Release I can feel a dif over the 150 and a 170 fork made it even more interesting (yes I put a 170 on there for a quick spin, actually liked it but warranty concerns). Still even with the 170mm fork, I still hit my pedals once or twice in the two days I rode it that way.

Point being some people notice where others don't. I have a couple friends who don't care about any of that stuff, they buy whatever bike they think is cool and run stock parts, even shitty tires and still shred. TBH I'm envious because I cant do that, I'm far too sensitive about such stuff and I think about it, so I feel the differences.

You keyed in on a very important fact though with your closing statement, which basically is - You can't please everyone and some people are just never happy.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Love my 2016 catch 1 with the fox 34 travel increased to 160mm with an air shaft swap. Guys, sweating a couple mm of bb height or a degree in seat angle or head angle here and there is not worth it IMO. Guys love to focus on numbers, sometimes the numbers do not tell the whole story. Ride a new release/catch before you label them out dated.
    The bike is never to heavy, you are just to WEAK!

Trying to be helpful
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSTCLIME View Post
    Love my 2016 catch 1 with the fox 34 travel increased to 160mm with an air shaft swap. Guys, sweating a couple mm of bb height or a degree in seat angle or head angle here and there is not worth it IMO. Guys love to focus on numbers, sometimes the numbers do not tell the whole story. Ride a new release/catch before you label them out dated.
    Ridden one, 2018 Release 5C, geometry could use a refresh. Don't get me wrong bike is still fun to ride, but having ridden it now with varying degrees of HA, BB, etc changes I see how it could use an update. However, that being said I'm also realistic in knowing that will likely not be a reality any time soon which is fine. I'm not saying it's a shit bike, just that it could use a refresh maybe sometime before 2021.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Update? Cuz mountain bikes are changing so much? Really? I have been riding since 1988, my first Mtb had a 74 degree head angle and a 74 degree seat tube angle..... bikes have changed from then.... not so much now, at some point, itís just fashion.... your bike has a 67 degree head angle? Dude, you suck if it has more than 66 degrees! Donít believe the hype....
    The bike is never to heavy, you are just to WEAK!

Trying to be helpful
    Update? Cuz mountain bikes are changing so much? Really? I have been riding since 1988, my first Mtb had a 74 degree head angle and a 74 degree seat tube angle..... bikes have changed from then.... not so much now, at some point, itís just fashion.... your bike has a 67 degree head angle? Dude, you suck if it has more than 66 degrees! Donít believe the hype....
    Shhhhhhh....quiet down, you have nothing beneficial to add to this discussion. All you do is talk smack and there's no need of that.

For the record stock 5C has 66* HA, mine currently has 65*.

Sent from #THELEGENDMTB using Tapatalk on an iPhone
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    So still happy with my choice to grab the R3 2018 before the prices went up. well lower than even the new R2 but has SRAM drivetrain and the Fox Pro. Still happy with my choice although I really like the paint on the new Release 3 and the Green Release 4 color. Wish you could buy just frames with a discount on trade in program or something. I think people would do that just to change it up some if it was affordable. Give an option to increase wheel clearance too.

Overall its still nice to see DB having a good lineup of bikes on offer. When I was in the market there was nothing in stock for about 3-4 months other than the 5C. And they actually released some new bikes before / at beginning of season which a lot of people were complaining they dint do.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    So you're comparing a progress of 30 years to something that practically started "yesterday?" Of course there is going to be a huge change!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    No one's on your lawn, man.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    New R2 and R3 are up on DB's site.

https://www.diamondback.com/release-3-d42

https://www.diamondback.com/release-2-d42

No changes, same geo.
    Hi all, Im interested in a Release 3 27.5. Is this new one (2019) an improvement or not really? Both are available at about the same price with the discount. Looking for a well spec'ed alloy bike at or under the 3K mark. Don't want to buy with the intention to upgrade later. Can someone comment on the different components, rear shock, brakes, gears etc on the 2019 and 2018 please. How does a Release 3 compare with say a Stumpjumper comp alloy. thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by steve1111 View Post
    Hi all, Im interested in a Release 3 27.5. Is this new one (2019) an improvement or not really? Both are available at about the same price with the discount. Looking for a well spec'ed alloy bike at or under the 3K mark. Don't want to buy with the intention to upgrade later. Can someone comment on the different components, rear shock, brakes, gears etc on the 2019 and 2018 please. How does a Release 3 compare with say a Stumpjumper comp alloy. thanks.
    Looks like 2018 R3 is only available in L. Unless this is ur size 2019 might be the only way to go. Fork is the same on both, but 2019 has a better shock. 2019 also has better brakes and IMHO better drivetrain (it's all XT). One thing to note is that u won't be able to run tires wider than 2.4s, I believe that's the max that will fit. Also, as u can see, some of us think the geo is a bit outdated, but I guess this is personal taste. Stumpy's geo is more modern, but not by much. Specs are definitely lower compared to R3. But then u get the brand name...if u care for those sort of things. So if u don't care about the geo being a bit outdated or not being able to run wider tires then I would say go with 2019 R3. I would also check Canyon Spectral and YT Jeffsy.

Trying to be helpful
    Personally, I like the spec on the new R3 much better than the old version. I like Fox stuff better than RS, it fits a wider range of riders, plus I've had great luck with Fox's service and warranty dept.
    I also think the tires are a better choice over the older R3, though I'd still swap them right away for some WTB's and the XT drivetrain is a step up from the NX, NX is more SLX level. Not saying NX is bad, just XT is slightly better. Brakes are def upgrade on the newer R3 also, XT vs Level, no comparison.

Spec for spec in my book 2019 R3 wins.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I have the 2018 and love it. I prefer the Sram GX drivetrain. I can not speak to the brakes, but I have always heard Shimano is better but overall I love my 2018. 2019 does have better rear shock but those are not too expensive to upgrade to later on if you really need the overflow. At these price points I would def. look at YT & Canyon though.

Happy bike shopping.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I donít think DB planned the release of their bikes so great. Maybe they were forced to due to production costs and what not early on. They revealed the carbon version a year and a half after the aluminum version. This means that even though the Release in general is due for an update (just to keep up with current market trends, because honestly it doesnít NEED an update) it wouldnít be cost effective because the carbon version is still relatively new. No one should have realistically thought the new 29er would be updated unless they also update the 27.5 and thus the carbon version as well, which again just wasnít gonna happen. Personally, I think they shouldíve held off on a carbon AND 29er until they had a chance to update the entire line around 2020. Now the unveiling of their Release bikes are all offset.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Have a syncr carbon on the way. Pretty pumped. First HT in a while.

Ps check out my solid join date to post count ratio lol. Gonna be more active here.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234