Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    aan
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ocnLogan View Post
    Curious about that too.

And, like others, I'm surprised by how much this is listed for. I guess I was for some reason thinking it would be $500-1000 cheaper than it is. Maybe the corp discount will bring it down to more reasonable levels.

Also curious if they'll redo the aluminum versions of the Sync'r. And if so, if they'll discontinue the Mason line up, as the new carbon sync'r is also 27.5+, but with what I would consider more modern geometry.

But, even if they do redo the aluminum version, it will be a while before it comes out I'd bet. So for me, its likely not really of interest anymore (as I imagine I'll be buying something within the next 1-4 months). But I think it would be a good addition to their lineup.
    I am probably in the same boat as you. Love my 5c but looking for a hardtail (probably 27.5+) to compliment it. I have been looking at alu or steel frames to keep the cost down, seems like most ~1500-2k alu plus bikes have a revelation or fox 34 and nx or gx which is really all I need.

What models have you been looking around at?

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by aan View Post
    I am probably in the same boat as you. Love my 5c but looking for a hardtail (probably 27.5+) to compliment it. I have been looking at alu or steel frames to keep the cost down, seems like most ~1500-2k alu plus bikes have a revelation or fox 34 and nx or gx which is really all I need.

What models have you been looking around at?
    The Whyte 901/905, and Nukeproof scout 275 Race/Comp are the main models I've been considering. The Whyte has a bit slacker geo, longer reach, longer WB than the scout, but not by much (64.5 HTA vs 65, 74.5 STA vs 73, 1224mm WB vs 1190 WB, etc). Both models are slacker, and longer than the carbon Sync'r.

The 901 and scout race are ~$1400, and have Sektor forks. The 905/race comp are ~$1700-1800, and offer revelation forks.

There are other good options, but those seem to have the strongest value. I'm personally looking at the cheaper models, and having a hard time deciding between the 901/scout race atm. Mostly trying to understand the subtle geo differences (and fork offset as well), as well as different specs (brakes, tires, etc) are worth chosing one over the other.

Otherwise I may decide based on color, or which one is on sale at the time I'm looking to finally buy .

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    2019 Diamondbacks-d0a289e1-d77b-4ef7-8a9d-2532ddaa4229.jpeg

Who has two thumbs and can't wait for the 2019 mission? This guy!
    Hard to tell in the uploaded photo, but the top link is clearly Level Link. Also DB4L pedals and the rims appear to say Diamondback.

Trying to be helpful
    Quote Originally Posted by agauna View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D0A289E1-D77B-4EF7-8A9D-2532DDAA4229.jpeg 
Views:	126 
Size:	108.0 KB 
ID:	1226476

Who has two thumbs and can't wait for the 2019 mission? This guy!
    Hard to tell in the uploaded photo, but the top link is clearly Level Link. Also DB4L pedals and the rims appear to say Diamondback.
    Conversation regarding what could be the Mission 2019 is active in the Release: Any owners YET? thread.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Guy.Ford; 11-27-2018 at 10:16 AM.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2018 Diamondback Release 5C
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Yeah, I posted it over there first then realized this would be the better thread for it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Ok, dumb question. I can usually tell the difference between 27.5 and 29 inch wheels, but as of lately some of the bigger 29” tires appear to be 27.5 to me. What wheel size is this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trying to be helpful
    Quote Originally Posted by atkrocket View Post
    Ok, dumb question. I can usually tell the difference between 27.5 and 29 inch wheels, but as of lately some of the bigger 29” tires appear to be 27.5 to me. What wheel size is this?

Unknown, as this is the only pic of this bike thus far and there have been no details leaked. However, speculation would say 27.5 as DB has yet to make a full suspension 29'r and I don't think they are going to start with a 160-170mm travel bike.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Ford View Post
    Unknown, as this is the only pic of this bike thus far and there have been no details leaked. However, speculation would say 27.5 as DB has yet to make a full suspension 29'r and I don't think they are going to start with a 160-170mm travel bike.
    I would like to think they’d go full on long travel 29er but I guess I’ll have to wait a few seasons until they’ve figured out how to get the level link to work with a 29er

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I would like to think they’d go full on long travel 29er but I guess I’ll have to wait a few seasons until they’ve figured out how to get the level link to work with a 29er

We know they are working on a Release 29'er atm, so I'm guessing that they'll see how that goes before they do anything more radical.

But who really know at this point.

Trying to be helpful

Yeah probably going to be a while for a long travel 29'r, if ever.

Supposedly though, if rumor is correct, they will be releasing a 130mm 29'r based off the Catch platform that will be able to also run 27.5+ tires.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    We know they are working on a Release 29'er atm, so I'm guessing that they'll see how that goes before they do anything more radical.

Damn, need to start saving. This shit is killing my bank account!!! I think I need to see a Dr for my bike fetish! I guess that’s not a bad problem to have haha!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2017

mtbr member

Going to get flamed but BD already makes a 27+,29 er release.... it’s called the catch. Buy a catch 2, an air shaft to extend the fork and a set of 29 wheels and tires.....
    The bike is never to heavy, you are just to WEAK!

Trying to be helpful
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSTCLIME View Post
    Going to get flamed but BD already makes a 27+,29 er release.... it’s called the catch. Buy a catch 2, an air shaft to extend the fork and a set of 29 wheels and tires.....
    Not officially, but yes you can put 29 tires on the Catch. We're talking about an official, purpose built 29'r and not a hack per se.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

Trying to be helpful
    Quote Originally Posted by totoreco View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback Bike
    Limited Edition Color Run
    Bwahahaha!! So basically they spec'd down a 5C and are selling as a Limited Edition Color 4C, that's special.

I wonder what the thought is here, too many 5C frames, need to get rid of them for the new 5C colorway or too many 4C parts and not enough 4C frames so we'll slap them on 5C frames. I doubt it's because people love the 5C colorway, it's had mixed reviews at best with the Orange/Red combo, which I love BTW. Absolutely absurd, appreciate the silliness of it all though. Good one DB
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I wonder if the 2019 4C will have the same components (with SRAM NX Eagle) as the "limited color" in yet a different color frame? Looks like they had too many 5C frames and not enough grey ones. For 2018 it seems they under estimated how well the 4C was going to sell.

mtbr member
    Not officially, but yes you can put 29 tires on the Catch. We're talking about an official, purpose built 29'r and not a hack per se.
    Just curious, what will be different from “purpose built “ 29er release? The big difference between the release and catch is the rear triangle. The catch has longer chain stays because you need longer chain stays with larger wheels. The lower link on the catch is different because the longer chain stays have more leverage over the shock. All I can see that would be done is the rear triangle will be more narrow to make the bike as limited as the 27.5 release.

Trying to be helpful
    Just curious, what will be different from “purpose built “ 29er release? The big difference between the release and catch is the rear triangle. The catch has longer chain stays because you need longer chain stays with larger wheels. The lower link on the catch is different because the longer chain stays have more leverage over the shock. All I can see that would be done is the rear triangle will be more narrow to make the bike as limited as the 27.5 release.
    Who knows, at current its all speculation. But they could change the geometry, bottom bracket height, tire clearance, stay length as it's my understanding that the Catch in current form is limited to what size 29 tire it can run since it wasn't built with that in mind. But again who knows there are bunch of possible things that could be updated on a purpose built 29r.

Point being DB doesn't currently make a full suspension 29r, so for those wanting one it's exciting to see how that may turn out. Instead of hacking one together from a bike not designed for 29 wheels.

#THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

SendIt
    Bwahahaha!! So basically they spec'd down a 5C and are selling as a Limited Edition Color 4C, that's special.

I wonder what the thought is here, too many 5C frames, need to get rid of them for the new 5C colorway or too many 4C parts and not enough 4C frames so we'll slap them on 5C frames. I doubt it's because people love the 5C colorway, it's had mixed reviews at best with the Orange/Red combo, which I love BTW. Absolutely absurd, appreciate the silliness of it all though. Good one DB
    That is funny, kinda pisses me off. Why sell the 5c frame with lower end components.

I was looking on the DB website and not all the components are the same on the Limited Color 4c as the regular 4c. The bottom bracket is a Dub vs a Raceface. Also drivetrain is different, new 4c has NX Eagle vs Shimano for the orginal 4c. Just find it weird. Im guessing they had alot of left over 5c frames and this was a way to get rid of them. But they are asking $3600 for the Limited color 4c, which is what i paid for my 5c. Albeit its probably less with corporate discounts....

Trying to be helpful
    Quote Originally Posted by NorcalMtbAddict View Post
    That is funny, kinda pisses me off. Why sell the 5c frame with lower end components.

I was looking on the DB website and not all the components are the same on the Limited Color 4c as the regular 4c. The bottom bracket is a Dub vs a Raceface. Also drivetrain is different, new 4c has NX Eagle vs Shimano for the orginal 4c. Just find it weird. Im guessing they had alot of left over 5c frames and this was a way to get rid of them. But they are asking $3600 for the Limited color 4c, which is what i paid for my 5c. Albeit its probably less with corporate discounts....
    Yeah I'd assume all the new higher end bikes will be coming with DUB cranks.

I met a guy couple weekends back on a 5C, he'd damaged his Descendant cranks, stripped out the pedal threads and DB swapped them for a set of DUB cranks, instead of the stock GXP.

#THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Aug 2018

I put my corp login and did not see a discount for the red 4c. I was curious of that also.

mtbr member
    Who knows, at current its all speculation. But they could change the geometry, bottom bracket height, tire clearance, stay length as it's my understanding that the Catch in current form is limited to what size 29 tire it can run since it wasn't built with that in mind. But again who knows there are bunch of possible things that could be updated on a purpose built 29r.

Point being DB doesn't currently make a full suspension 29r, so for those wanting one it's exciting to see how that may turn out. Instead of hacking one together from a bike not designed for 29 wheels.

You do realize that the overall diameter of a 29x2.3 and a 27.5x3.0 are pretty much equal? A 27.5 plus bike is a 29er.....never mind....

Trying to be helpful
    You do realize that the overall diameter of a 29x2.3 and a 27.5x3.0 are pretty much equal? A 27.5 plus bike is a 29er.....never mind....
    Yes I'm aware and

Maybe there going to design their 29r with clearance for a wider tire than say a 2.3, say maybe a 2.5 or 2.6, who knows, again speculation.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

Trying to be helpful

With regards to the Corp Discount on the Limited 4C, I did notice that the price falls right between the 5C and OG 4C when the corp discount is applied. So it's smart not to offer it at a discount, as it would likely cut into the OG 4C sales, something I'm sure they don't want to do.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Jul 2018

I'm sure these are left over frames from the custom build program... Anybody remember that? I never actually heard of anybody taking advantage of that.

The limited 4c is a 2019 model, NX EAGLE spec, with the 5c red frame. Not a bad idea. The gray one is the regular 2018 4c.

I bought a 5c that isn't the size I want for a great deal, and will be doing a part swap with my 4c. Both bikes will have XO1 Eagle, bit I'll get the suspension, cranks, and some other bits from the 5c that I like better, and pair them up with some carbon wheels that I already have for an ultimate 4c... In a color that I actually like
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Diamondbacks-img_20181130_065245886.jpg  

SendIt
    Quote Originally Posted by fst96se View Post
    I'm sure these are left over frames from the custom build program... Anybody remember that? I never actually heard of anybody taking advantage of that.

The limited 4c is a 2019 model, NX EAGLE spec, with the 5c red frame. Not a bad idea. The gray one is the regular 2018 4c.

I bought a 5c that isn't the size I want for a great deal, and will be doing a part swap with my 4c. Both bikes will have XO1 Eagle, bit I'll get the suspension, cranks, and some other bits from the 5c that I like better, and pair them up with some carbon wheels that I already have for an ultimate 4c... In a color that I actually like
    What size is the 5c frame you have?? Just curious. The 5c red/orange is a love it or hate it color scheme. I personally love the red color of the frame. Not a huge fan of the orange accents but not a big deal. I have been really enjoying my 5c with the limited riding i have been able to get in with all the rain we are having in Norcal. Before the rain, it was the smoke and poor air quality from the Paradise fires a couple hours north of me. Wasnt the right time to buy a new bike from a riding standpoint but from a price standpoint it couldnt have been better.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I did. I went all out on pretty much everything thinking this would probably be the last bike I'll ever buy. Kashima coated Fox 36, DPX2, and Transfer. Also, the carbon Blanchard wheels (33mm internal) which I think was the best option from the custom build. The total was $5300 which is a great price in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    I did. I went all out on pretty much everything thinking this would probably be the last bike I'll ever buy. Kashima coated Fox 36, DPX2, and Transfer. Also, the carbon Blanchard wheels (33mm internal) which I think was the best option from the custom build. The total was $5300 which is a great price in my opinion.
    Cool, sounds pretty fantastic! Do you have any pics?

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Cool, sounds pretty fantastic! Do you have any pics?
    https://forums.mtbr.com/diamondback/...008268-13.html

I threw some photos up here right after I got it put together.

mtbr member
    So is the latest model of the Catch 2 (2018 model? - the light blue one) really a downgrade from the previous model? I've been set on the Catch 2 as my first full-sus bike and now they've changed some specs while I'm saving up for it. My other choice was the YT Jeffsy 27 AL (& considering 2.6" tires on it), but of course those YT's are so frequently out of stock. (I've got a budget of about $2,200 and want best bang for the buck with priority on fork & shock. Also trying not to go too slack as I need all the help I can get climbing!).

-Garry
    "My Bike Lights" Thread on BLF teardowns, measurements, and beamshots. Moving my photos, PM or post up if you can't see them.

Trying to be helpful
    Quote Originally Posted by garrybunk View Post
    So is the latest model of the Catch 2 (2018 model? - the light blue one) really a downgrade from the previous model? I've been set on the Catch 2 as my first full-sus bike and now they've changed some specs while I'm saving up for it. My other choice was the YT Jeffsy 27 AL (& considering 2.6" tires on it), but of course those YT's are so frequently out of stock. (I've got a budget of about $2,200 and want best bang for the buck with priority on fork & shock. Also trying not to go too slack as I need all the help I can get climbing!).

-Garry
    Not in my book, most parts are comparable and depending on which camp you fall in you might like Fox more than RockShox.

The suspension bits offer the same level of performance, with the edge going to Fox if your a heavier rider as you can run a higher pressure in the rear shock. Rockshox stuff is not great for the heavier clydes, as they tend to have lower pressure thresholds.

All the other parts are comparable, with the only exceptions being..
    1) The 2018 has, IMO, better tires. I would take the Maxxis Minions over Schwalbe's any day and three times on Sunday.
    2) The 2017 had a KS Lev Integra dropper and the 2018 has a KS i30, which is new, but based off same tech, just at lower price point. Most people swap the KS out anyhow for something else eventually so I wouldn't base my purchase on this alone.

Personally if it were me and I thought the 2017 was a good deal, I wouldn't hesitate to buy the 2018 over the change of suspension and seatpost. Actually the suspension would make me look more favorably at the 2018. The lower the pressure (Fox) I that has to be run in your suspension the less wear & tear it takes on it and makes it easier for the suspension to do its job.

Good luck.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback! It was my first impression that the newer model had some upgrades over the previous, but I wasn't "in the know" on whether the Fox was comparable, worse, or better. I feel a bit better now, although I think I might still check on the availability of the Jeffsy when I finally get around to ordering (hoping to order by Spring).

-Garry
    "My Bike Lights" Thread on BLF teardowns, measurements, and beamshots. Moving my photos, PM or post up if you can't see them.

Trying to be helpful
    Thanks for the feedback! It was my first impression that the newer model had some upgrades over the previous, but I wasn't "in the know" on whether the Fox was comparable, worse, or better. I feel a bit better now, although I think I might still check on the availability of the Jeffsy when I finally get around to ordering (hoping to order by Spring).

-Garry
    The Jeffsy is a great bike, don't think you could go wrong either way. Jeffsy does have the advantage of having better brakes and a bottle cage mounted inside the front triangle, as opposed to the Catch which mounts under the downtube, some care some don't. Although Jeffsy also has a Press Fit bottom bracket, I've read/heard from a lot of riders that it's not so much of an issue anymore as it used to be, still something to consider. Spend some time the YT forum, ask a lot of questions and do your research, its the best way to avoid headaches and downtime later on.

Happy Holidays!
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

-Garry
    Just my 2-cents, I would definitely check the availability of a demo or test ride of the Jeffsey. I ordered a CF Pro 29er sight unseen and when I received it and rode it, regretted my decision. It’s a sweet spec’d bike but didn’t mesh well with me. However, everyone is different and you may like it, happy trails!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    You know, I wonder if Diamondback is going to start selling their carbon Blanchard wheels separately or equipping them on future bikes now that they've done away with custom studio. I've been extremely happy with mine and would love to have them available as a replacement.

mtbr member
    Anyone heard anything on a full sus version of the Overdrive Carbon?

Trying to be helpful
    Quote Originally Posted by arock View Post
    Anyone heard anything on a full sus version of the Overdrive Carbon?
    If you asking if there is going to be a Overdrive Carbon 29 full sus specifically, I would say that is going to be highly unlikely.

However, we already know that DB is "supposedly" going to be making a 29" Full Suspension bike based off the Level Link design, specifics are as yet unknown. Though I would say its also highly unlikely though that this new 29er will be carbon.

So no to Overdrive 29 Full Sus and probably a no to any 29 full sus carbon, at least for this year.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    If you asking if there is going to be a Overdrive Carbon 29 full sus specifically, I would say that is going to be highly unlikely.

However, we already know that DB is "supposedly" going to be making a 29" Full Suspension bike based off the Level Link design, specifics are as yet unknown. Though I would say its also highly unlikely though that this new 29er will be carbon.

So no to Overdrive 29 Full Sus and probably a no to any 29 full sus carbon, at least for this year.
    Oh well. Was hoping for something light and more XC oriented with full suspension but guess it will have to be a hardtail for now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I am new, and looking for a fs first bike and diamondback has caught my attention because of what one gets for the money with discount code. I was chatting with them online and asked when new bikes come out and they said first week of April, not sure how accurate his information is, but thought I would share.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by surfer369 View Post
    I am new, and looking for a fs first bike and diamondback has caught my attention because of what one gets for the money with discount code. I was chatting with them online and asked when new bikes come out and they said first week of April, not sure how accurate his information is, but thought I would share.
    Welcome!

That info lines up with what we've heard about the new level link Mission (meaning, they said "spring"). So... just a few more months then... Hopefully they will be worth the wait.

I actually was in the same boat as you recently. I spent months researching, and looking for the best deals, and I actually ended up placing a order for a non-DB FS bike just last Saturday. I was a bit tired of waiting, and actually, after the most recent DB price increases, the price after discount wasn't as noteworthy as it was before.

Maybe its the time of the year, but some places seem to be selling their overstock/last years inventory at pretty good prices. It may be worth looking around to see if other places have deals that are in your size/bike category, especially if you want to ride between now and April.

For instance, REI was selling the Release 1 for under the corporate discount a while back. As well as the Release 5c IIRC.

Good luck on the search .

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Oh, and I just looked again today.

It looks like they've updated a lot of their bikes on their website.

The new Sync'r is tan, for instance, has boost spacing, a RS Recon, bigger rotors, 2.8in tires, etc.

It looks like the Mason 2 is just the same, but in a new color (and strangely, very similar in most specs to the Sync'r now. They both have the same HTA, and STA). Looks like the main difference is a lower BB on the Mason 2, and ~10mm longer reach, and 10mm less fork travel on the Mason 2.

So, now it looks like DB now has 3 different 27.5 x 2.8in tired hardtails, which is up from just one last year (I'm counting the Mason 1/2 as the same bike here). So that's a good thing.

EDIT: Now that I look at it, I'm not sure if the specs listed are correct. Just looking at the new Sync'r back to back with the Mason, the HTA looks slacker. I wonder/hope it is similar to the new Carbon Sync'r.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Non-Boost front fork and hub on the Sync'r.....?

... why?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Speireag View Post
    Non-Boost front fork and hub on the Sync'r.....?

... why?
    Same reason as on the Performance/Nashbar Release... gotta do something to make the cheaper bike worse

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Does the non-boost Recon RL fork fit 27.5x2.8in tires?

But yeah, I didn't catch that. Thats a bit weird. I'd have expected that on the Hook, or Line (as, they are lower end), but for the Sync'r I'd have thought you'd at least get boost f/r...

Maybe they still haven't updated all the specs though, as I said, the photos make it look like its slacker than the Mason2, but the specs say they should be identical.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Mason’s 2 top tube looks different. I miss my hardtail (mason 2016 and line) might consider this syncr to play around the neighborhood

Trying to be helpful
    Edit wrong forum
    Last edited by Guy.Ford; 01-11-2019 at 11:51 AM.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Video isn't working for me

Trying to be helpful
    !!!error!!!
    Last edited by Guy.Ford; 01-11-2019 at 11:57 AM.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Video is unavailable for me as well.

The only thing I remember from my talk at the shop was that the wheelset for the 5c was different. I don't know enough brands/models of wheels to know/remember what they said, but they were talking about how it was a pretty straight upgrade.

The color was the one that I saw in the pdf though. And agreed, it looks pretty nice . IIRC, there was a tan option as well. But I could be mis-remembering at this point. Its been a long time since I thought about it.

Trying to be helpful
    !!!error!!!
    Last edited by Guy.Ford; 01-11-2019 at 11:58 AM.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    My local performance bike store has the marin hawk hill for 41065, can you guys tell me how it would compare to the release 1.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Oh, and I just looked again today.

It looks like they've updated a lot of their bikes on their website.

The new Sync'r is tan, for instance, has boost spacing, a RS Recon, bigger rotors, 2.8in tires, etc.

It looks like the Mason 2 is just the same, but in a new color (and strangely, very similar in most specs to the Sync'r now. They both have the same HTA, and STA). Looks like the main difference is a lower BB on the Mason 2, and ~10mm longer reach, and 10mm less fork travel on the Mason 2.

So, now it looks like DB now has 3 different 27.5 x 2.8in tired hardtails, which is up from just one last year (I'm counting the Mason 1/2 as the same bike here). So that's a good thing.

EDIT: Now that I look at it, I'm not sure if the specs listed are correct. Just looking at the new Sync'r back to back with the Mason, the HTA looks slacker. I wonder/hope it is similar to the new Carbon Sync'r.
    It looks like the Mason is the in-between size model for the Sync'r lineup now (Small Mason is 15.5", Small Sync'r is 16" and so on...). The frames are identical.

Its a shame too because I really like the way the seat tube and BB meet as well as the curve on the top tube on the older Masons. I'm keeping my '17 Mason Pro for sure now.

Trying to be helpful
    !!!error!!!
    Last edited by Guy.Ford; 01-11-2019 at 11:58 AM.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    So with the new Jeffsey and Diamondback not having a Release 2 yet out. I am curious what all would pick if you had a $1800-$2500 budget.

The upper price ranges look to be very competitive to the R4C and R5C.

Trying to be helpful
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerm2006 View Post
    So with the new Jeffsey and Diamondback not having a Release 2 yet out. I am curious what all would pick if you had a $1800-$2500 budget.

The upper price ranges look to be very competitive to the R4C and R5C.
    I don't recall is you have any other bikes, that would affect my decision if I already had a bike.

I will say YT has had it's issues, scour the forums, you'll see plenty of people unhappy with the fact they can't keep bikes in stock, have poor customer service and a plethora of other complaints. My two issues with their bikes is

1) Press fit BB. I know some people say its no longer a concern, yet others still seem to have issues. Nobody I know of has any "real" issues with threaded BB's.
    2) No bottle cage. The new Jeffsy changed their cage to a fidlock bottle system, so I'm unclear if you can mount a standard cage or it has to be fidlock specifically. If its a proprietary fidlock system I wouldn't be stoked personally, I want options.

I like the YT bikes, their suspension designs are super progressive and have a really pleasing aesthetic. I like their marketing scheme, though I know it has no affect on how the bike rides, I just think it's got a cool vibe and it instill a certain feeling of fun. Still all the aside, I wouldn't be looking at their bikes personally.

Unfortunately your budget doesn't leave you with a lot of options. I would be either looking at whatever sales I could find, try to increase my budget to 3000-3500 or if your really interested in the Release 2 be patient.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    So I am not personally looking at the YT or any other bikes. I am completely happy with my Release 3 and plan to ride that for a couple years at least if not more. Its awesome and I can upgrade it completely...except over 2.5/2.6" tires of course.

I just thought in that price range DB doesn't really have anything to compete with and seeing that the release 2 for this year still has not come out...and they have been out of stock for almost 6 months now...its an issue for DB. I was just curious if others would pay up in that range for the Release 3, or down on the Release 1 instead of going for the Jeffsey. More of a come on DB get your Bike out in that range.

Trying to be helpful
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerm2006 View Post
    So I am not personally looking at the YT or any other bikes. I am completely happy with my Release 3 and plan to ride that for a couple years at least if not more. Its awesome and I can upgrade it completely...except over 2.5/2.6" tires of course.

I just thought in that price range DB doesn't really have anything to compete with and seeing that the release 2 for this year still has not come out...and they have been out of stock for almost 6 months now...its an issue for DB. I was just curious if others would pay up in that range for the Release 3, or down on the Release 1 instead of going for the Jeffsey. More of a come on DB get your Bike out in that range.
    Ah, yeah sorry I didn't get any of that vibe about paying up for the 3 or down to the 1, seemed more or less like you were shopping, apologies for the confusion.

I would definitely pay up for the 3 as I'm doubtful that DB is going to spec a fork on the 2 anywhere close to the Fox 34 on the 3. Again never going to get me on a Jeffsy or any bike with a PF BB, not my cup o' tea.

I know how you feel about the wait, I'm waiting on the new Mission Pro and have no ETA or confirmation if its going to be production. But I'm hopeful. Sometime in July or August would be a nice release time frame, since my Bday is July it would be an easier sell to the wife.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Jul 2017

2019 R4c

2019 Release 4c up on adventuron!2019 Diamondbacks-c82565a3-4074-403b-ae7b-1d65c8022d96.jpg
    Last edited by Bluroo; 01-15-2019 at 10:13 PM.

Slow and Old
    No water bottler mounts on the 2019 Mason?

Trying to be helpful
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluroo View Post
    2019 Release 4c up on adventuron!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C82565A3-4074-403B-AE7B-1D65C8022D96.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	105.6 KB 
ID:	1233756
    Really like that colorway.

#THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Really like that colorway.

Yeah I was trying to think of another color they could have used like black lettering but I think the idea is not to look like a (Santa Cruz). Plus the spec on the orange and black WTB volt is awesome.

Trying to be helpful
    Yeah I was trying to think of another color they could have used like black lettering but I think the idea is not to look like a (Santa Cruz). Plus the spec on the orange and black WTB volt is awesome.
    Yeah I really want that saddle, sadly it's too narrow for my "wide load" arse, I need a 150, the stock saddles is 142.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Yeah I really want that saddle, sadly it's too narrow for my "wide load" arse, I need a 150, the stock saddles is 142.
    Haha yeah that’s the next upgrade for me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I really like that color.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Does that say "Release 27" on the top tube of the Release 4c? Interesting...

Trying to be helpful

2019 Diamondbacks

Quote Originally Posted by SCxXxMTB View Post
    Does that say "Release 27" on the top tube of the Release 4c? Interesting...
    It's reference to tire size I believe.

Sent from #THELEGENDMTB using Tapatalk on an iPhone
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    So far everything is playing out just like the pdf I saw.

The release 4c says release 27... Because they are coming out with a 29in tired version .

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Any info on the Catch?

Trying to be helpful
    The release 4c says release 27... Because they are coming out with a 29in tired version .
    My thoughts exactly
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    This color reminds me of REI's bike section which, for the last few years, looks like a forest fire went through

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
    This color reminds me of REI's bike section which, for the last few years, looks like a forest fire went through
    I never thought of that...but your spot-on lol. My wife wants the Clutch 1 to be a dark flat purple. Threw a request out there yesterday to Bradley for future ref.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    New video from Eric Porter
    https://vimeo.com/314759886#t=169s
    żA Mission?

Trying to be helpful
    Quote Originally Posted by totoreco View Post
    New video from Eric Porter
    https://vimeo.com/314759886#t=169s
    żA Mission?
    YUP, thats it. You can tell by the front shock mount. On the Release its up on the top tube on the new Mission its on the downtube.

Nice catch

Couple of screens:
    2019 Diamondbacks-2019-02-04-13_38_27-beyond-borders-vimeo.jpg2019 Diamondbacks-2019-02-04-13_42_58-beyond-borders-vimeo.jpg
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    nice!

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    That new mission is massive, I know Porter likes his rides in large even though he would fit an XL with no problem. If those pics are of a large frame mission then the XL version is going to be a monster!

Trying to be helpful
    That new mission is massive, I know Porter likes his rides in large even though he would fit an XL with no problem. If those pics are of a large frame mission then the XL version is going to be a monster!
    Me thinks that maybe an XL. I know he rides Large normally, but I agree it looks huge, almost too big to be a large.

#THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

Trying to be helpful
    Confirmed by Eric definitely a size large - DAMN! Can't wait to see the numbers on this going to be interesting.

#THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Heck yeah it will!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I'm guessing that's a 27.5. Hopefully there is a new 29er coming out soon too.

Trying to be helpful
    Quote Originally Posted by richulr View Post
    I'm guessing that's a 27.5. Hopefully there is a new 29er coming out soon too.
    Yes indeed 27.5.

Supposedly there is also a purpose built 29" Release in the works.

#THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Hi all, I'm a noob here. So.. hi.
    I bought a Diamondback Overdrive 29er last year and it's still great!

Trying to be helpful
    Quote Originally Posted by bearded monkey View Post
    Hi all, I'm a noob here. So.. hi.
    I bought a Diamondback Overdrive 29er last year and it's still great!
    Welcome, hopefully you find the DB forums informative and entertaining.

Stoked to hear your enjoying your Overdrive 29, please post up some pics, bike, riding or both, if you can in the photo thread.

#THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Apologies in advance if this has been covered previously, but this is a long thread....

Has the rumor mill mentioned anything about steeper STAs for the 2019 Release? I'm currently in full bike shopping/research mode and while I have not actually ridden one, I've bought into the steep STA hype. I do a lot of long, steep, grinder climbs where I think a >75* STA would be pretty awesome.

I bought my wife a Clutch 2 last summer and did some shuttle laps on it so I could dial in her suspension setup. I was really impressed with how it descended and I'd be strongly considering a Release right now were it not for the 73* STA. I have considered sizing up to a medium Release (I'm 5-6) and running the seat way forward on the rails to increase the effective STA, but that seems a bit kludgy

FWIW, the two bikes at the top of my wishlist right now are the SBG Transition Scout and Guerilla Gravity Shred Dogg.

Trying to be helpful

2019 Diamondbacks

Quote Originally Posted by RMCDan View Post
    Apologies in advance if this has been covered previously, but this is a long thread....

Has the rumor mill mentioned anything about steeper STAs for the 2019 Release? I'm currently in full bike shopping/research mode and while I have not actually ridden one, I've bought into the steep STA hype. I do a lot of long, steep, grinder climbs where I think a >75* STA would be pretty awesome.

I bought my wife a Clutch 2 last summer and did some shuttle laps on it so I could dial in her suspension setup. I was really impressed with how it descended and I'd be strongly considering a Release right now were it not for the 73* STA. I have considered sizing up to a medium Release (I'm 5-6) and running the seat way forward on the rails to increase the effective STA, but that seems a bit kludgy

FWIW, the two bikes at the top of my wishlist right now are the SBG Transition Scout and Guerilla Gravity Shred Dogg.
    Not to my knowledge and I seriously doubt DB is going to be making any geo changes to the current bikes any time soon. If they change the alu bikes, then they would need to update the carbon bike which is not a cheap endeavor.

DB has been going through some management changes internally in the past year, so spending money hasn't been a top priority for them. Getting them to produce an XS Carbon Release and new Carbon Mission Pro apparently took a lot of convincing to upper management, which to be fair their upper management are not "industry" guys. Maybe next year, but who knows, as I agree their geometry could use some updating.
    Last edited by Guy.Ford; 1 Week Ago at 07:17 PM.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks, Guy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Hey just curious what your thoughts are on the Haanjo Trail? Thats the carbon version, rihght? Hows the ride quality of the Haanjo frame? Are you able to speak to any comparisons with other bikes?
    I'm looking at pulling the trigger on the Haanjo 7c carbon or a Giant TCX SLR 1. Just havent been able to find many reviews or feedback on the Haanjo
    Thanks!

Trying to be helpful
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono_SK View Post
    Hey just curious what your thoughts are on the Haanjo Trail? Thats the carbon version, rihght? Hows the ride quality of the Haanjo frame? Are you able to speak to any comparisons with other bikes?
    I'm looking at pulling the trigger on the Haanjo 7c carbon or a Giant TCX SLR 1. Just havent been able to find many reviews or feedback on the Haanjo
    Thanks!
    Not sure if your asking me, but I'll chime in JIC.

My Haanjo is the 2017 Alu model, not the 2018 Carbon. If your looking for feed back on the Carbon Haanjo I would suggest checking out this search

https://www.google.com/search?q=diam...hrome&ie=UTF-8

I really like my Haanjo a lot, the only thing I have to compare it too is my old road bike and thats not much of a comparison, Haanjo wins hands down.

One thing to consider with regards to the Haanjo vs Giant TCX SLR, I feel the Haanjo will allow you to run a larger tire if that matters. The Giant only specs a 33mm tire, so I'm not sure how much more room it has, were as the Haanjo can go up to a 700x40 or 27.5x2.1. So if your looking for an adventure/gravel bike it's got an advantage.

Good luck.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Sorry, ya that was for you Guy. Thanks for replying!
    From my research and talking with a Giant rep, the TCX has room for 50mm up front and 45mm outback. Which is good enough for what I think i'll need, but still, not as much as with the Haanjo.

What qualities about the Haanjo make it a hands down win for you?
    How about handling on the road compared to your old road bike? Is it considerably more 'sluggish' or slow handling? Less fun to ride on road than your old bike?

Trying to be helpful
    Sorry, ya that was for you Guy. Thanks for replying!
    From my research and talking with a Giant rep, the TCX has room for 50mm up front and 45mm outback. Which is good enough for what I think i'll need, but still, not as much as with the Haanjo.

What qualities about the Haanjo make it a hands down win for you?
    How about handling on the road compared to your old road bike? Is it considerably more 'sluggish' or slow handling? Less fun to ride on road than your old bike?
    Things that drew me to the Haanjo where wider tire clearance, thru-axles, solid kit (Ultegra), frame mounts (racks and bags) and of course price (corp discount).

I definitely like it a lot more than my old roady, its much more comfortable. I don't notice a difference in handling, though I'm not much of a roadie so unlikely I would recognize a difference. But I find it handles great as a road bike, super comfy especially with the wider tires, plus it works great offroad.

Hope that helps, good luck.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Things that drew me to the Haanjo where wider tire clearance, thru-axles, solid kit (Ultegra), frame mounts (racks and bags) and of course price (corp discount).

I definitely like it a lot more than my old roady, its much more comfortable. I don't notice a difference in handling, though I'm not much of a roadie so unlikely I would recognize a difference. But I find it handles great as a road bike, super comfy especially with the wider tires, plus it works great offroad.

Hope that helps, good luck.
    Thanks Guy! Ya that helps!

Another question RE sizing. The size L (56cm) lists the standover height at 834mm. My inseam is 842mm and I'm 6' tall. How acurate did you find their measurements? What size do you have, whats your inseam and how do you feel it fits?
    A little nervous the 56cm might be too big for me :S

Thanks,

Trying to be helpful

Another question RE sizing. The size L (56cm) lists the standover height at 834mm. My inseam is 842mm and I'm 6' tall. How acurate did you find their measurements? What size do you have, whats your inseam and how do you feel it fits?

Thanks,
    I'm 6'4" with a 34-35" inseam depending on riding shoes. I bought an XL, I'd say their sizing is pretty accurate, I don't have a lot of room when standing over the bike. The fit is nice, I find the bike very comfortable to ride.

I'd say you'll be good on a large, your right in that size pocket, 5'10"-6'1".

#THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    So while I'm still saving up for a new bike (and waiting on the Catch 2 to come out with stock) I've shopped around and found the Canyon Neuron AL 7.0: https://www.canyon.com/en-us/mtb/neuron/neuron-al-7-0 . It's quite comparable to the Catch 2, but not a plus bike. A size Medium will have 29 x 2.35 tires and Support responded that the bike will only accept a 2.4 tire max (I was hoping to go 2.5 to 2.6). The Canyon is $300 more than the DB & has an $85 shipping fee too. I'm really tempted by the upgrade to GX (mainly to get that big 50 tooth cassette) and suspect wheels are a higher build quality. The brakes on the Canyon are entry level Shimano, but I'm guessing are sufficient (I think I'd prefer Shimanos over SRAM given the choice).
    With the recent change to a new job and steady overtime right now, I can afford to up my budget a little. So any opinions out there between these two choices? Is the Canyon easily worth the +/- $400 additional? I guess the bigger decision I need to make is, do I want to go with 27.5 plus, or stick to a standard 29er (what I currently ride, though hardtail)?

Thanks,
    -Garry

Trying to be helpful
    So while I'm still saving up for a new bike (and waiting on the Catch 2 to come out with stock) I've shopped around and found the Canyon Neuron AL 7.0: https://www.canyon.com/en-us/mtb/neuron/neuron-al-7-0 . It's quite comparable to the Catch 2, but not a plus bike. A size Medium will have 29 x 2.35 tires and Support responded that the bike will only accept a 2.4 tire max (I was hoping to go 2.5 to 2.6). The Canyon is $300 more than the DB & has an $85 shipping fee too. I'm really tempted by the upgrade to GX (mainly to get that big 50 tooth cassette) and suspect wheels are a higher build quality. The brakes on the Canyon are entry level Shimano, but I'm guessing are sufficient (I think I'd prefer Shimanos over SRAM given the choice).
    With the recent change to a new job and steady overtime right now, I can afford to up my budget a little. So any opinions out there between these two choices? Is the Canyon easily worth the +/- $400 additional? I guess the bigger decision I need to make is, do I want to go with 27.5 plus, or stick to a standard 29er (what I currently ride, though hardtail)?

Thanks,
    -Garry
    Personally dont think the Canyon is worth an additional $400.

Another option I might suggest is YT, specifically the Jeffsy, I think its a much better spec'd bike than the Canyon. Good luck.

EDIT: With regards to the Catch, have you tried looking online, but Adventuron has Mediums (17) and Amazon has M-XL (17-21).

https://aventuron.com/products/diamo...xoCpzgQAvD_BwE

https://www.amazon.com/Diamondback-B...667&th=1&psc=1
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Thanks. The Jeffsy is in the running too (if it ever comes in stock). Adventuron & Amazon don't support the Corp. discount though.

-Garry

Trying to be helpful
    Thanks. The Jeffsy is in the running too (if it ever comes in stock). Adventuron & Amazon don't support the Corp. discount though.

-Garry
    Ah yeah sorry forgot about that. Well damn.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Micayla Gatto was riding a release 29er today on her IG story

mtbr member
    DB is supposed to have a new bike at the Sedona MTB Fest. Maybe it'll be the 29'er full suspension.

And to chime in on the Haanjo...I'm eyeing one up for a later in the year purchase but if you're on a tighter budget also check out Raleigh Willard series. You can get 12x142 and TA fork at a cheaper level of bike than you can the Haanjos. It looks like you have to got up to the $1500 Haanjo 5C EXP Carbon to get those features and with the Raleigh you can them with the $835 Willard 3. Of course there's more to consider than just rear and front dropouts...but they are a big consideration for me.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

poser Administrator

Thanks,
    I find the bikes are sized small especially in the TT length. When I replaced my Haanjo Carbon trail with a 7C I noticed that they have changed their recommended sizes. I think I am on a L but when I got the Trail it said from 5'9" to 6'-1" and then I got my 7C which is identical in size and it says from 5'-11" to 6'4" or something. I think it large could feel too small for some one in the 6'1-3" range but DB thinks they should be fine.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    So while I'm still saving up for...
    My first (real) full sus was a catch 1. I'm 6 foot and had a size large. I had it only a few weeks before I swapped the fork to 150mm so the majority of my riding was in this configuration. I absolutely loved this bike. Even though I'm now a much better rider and have a top of the line Release Carbon, I still wish I had my Catch. I think the 150 increased the stack height enough that it gave it monstrous roll over ability. Ultimately I'd say go with the Catch, at least you'll have the option to run a wider tire. And really, the level link makes it pedal very efficiently.

mtbr member
    My first (real) full sus was a catch 1. I'm 6 foot and had a size large. I had it only a few weeks before I swapped the fork to 150mm so the majority of my riding was in this configuration. I absolutely loved this bike. Even though I'm now a much better rider and have a top of the line Release Carbon, I still wish I had my Catch. I think the 150 increased the stack height enough that it gave it monstrous roll over ability. Ultimately I'd say go with the Catch, at least you'll have the option to run a wider tire. And really, the level link makes it pedal very efficiently.
    Thanks for that. So was your love of the Catch due to the wider plus sized tires or was it more than that? I've been waffling back and forth on Catch 2, Jeffsy AL (both 27.5 & 29), and the Canyon Neuron. I confirmed with Canyon support that the widest tire that bike will accept (per their recommendation I guess) is a 2.4. I figure with the Diamondback I can always swap out to slightly smaller tires if I decide 2.8 is too big (i.e. 2.5 to 2.6). Also, as far as the Neuron and Jeffsy having those larger cassette cogs (50T) for a better granny low for a huffer & puffer like me, I guess I can always swap out a Sunrace 11-46T cassette.

-Garry

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast