Wide Wheels on Troy?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    286

    Wide Wheels on Troy?

    I'm considering going with some wide carbon wheels on a 2014/2015 (yellow green accents) Troy XP. Looking at the Ibis 741 wheelset with 41mm outside 35mm inside diameter.

    Anyone have experience with those or similar wheels and have feedback RE performance and fit with specific tires? Thinking of running the new Bontrager XR4"s or similar relatively high volume rounded profile tires.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crankpuller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    592
    Quote Originally Posted by angelo View Post
    I'm considering going with some wide carbon wheels on a 2014/2015 (yellow green accents) Troy XP. Looking at the Ibis 741 wheelset with 41mm outside 35mm inside diameter.

    Anyone have experience with those or similar wheels and have feedback RE performance and fit with specific tires? Thinking of running the new Bontrager XR4"s or similar relatively high volume rounded profile tires.
    Wide wheels put more tread on the ground - I would suggest a lower profile tread pattern for the rear or the drag on climbs would be excessive. My 2.4 hr2 rear is too beefy for my liking on 38mm rims

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    286
    Thanks-I was thinking about the XR3 for the back for that reason. The new model XR4 in 2.4x27.5 is available now but the XR3 not until September.

    How is the fit on the back with your 2.4?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crankpuller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    592
    Quote Originally Posted by angelo View Post
    Thanks-I was thinking about the XR3 for the back for that reason. The new model XR4 in 2.4x27.5 is available now but the XR3 not until September.

    How is the fit on the back with your 2.4?
    Lots - I will try to snap some pics for you -

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crankpuller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    592
    Quote Originally Posted by crankpuller View Post
    Lots - I will try to snap some pics for you -
    Last edited by crankpuller; 07-15-2016 at 09:35 AM.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crankpuller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    592
    That is a high roller 2 2.4 on a noble 38mm rim

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    286
    Thanks-certainly looks like plenty of room to spare.

Similar Threads

  1. Narrow carbon wheels vs wide aluminum wheels?
    By irck in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-18-2016, 02:00 AM
  2. Wide Rim XC Race Wheels?
    By Metamorphic in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-26-2015, 06:06 AM
  3. Recommend some wide tires for 33mm wide 26er wheels?
    By exploder in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-09-2014, 12:30 PM
  4. how do i know how wide my wheels are
    By drivengsxr1000 in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-21-2011, 09:39 PM
  5. wide wheels vs narrow wheels
    By Wayne Meuir in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-24-2011, 12:53 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.