troy vs spartan- Mtbr.com

Thread: troy vs spartan

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

troy vs spartan

pacific northwest rider here looking at the new spartan as my new daily driver that i can take up to whistler and ride the local steeps with. but i'm also considering just getting a troy and mounting up a 160 36 and an x2. what do you guys think? how capable is the troy for those of you that have them? i wish the ha was a touch slacker

mtbr member
    May 2010
    The troy is super capable. It gets away with way more than it realistically should, but it definitely can get overwhelmed at speed through really rugged trails.

If you plan to keep to flowier trails or not bomb through DH trails, it is awesome.

I've had a Troy for 2 years now, and will be switching to a Spartan over the winter to try and find more speed on really rugged stuff.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Simple solution is to get both haha

mtbr member
    Anospa sums up the Troy well. It's definitely more capable than a lot of other bikes in its class. With a 150mm fork it's a nicely balanced trail bike and with a 160mm fork it's capable of pretty much anything you want to throw at it. I've owned a 1st gen and current Troy frame as well as a 1st gen Spartan frame. Really looking forward to checking out the new Spartan as my big bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anospa View Post
    The troy is super capable. It gets away with way more than it realistically should, but it definitely can get overwhelmed at speed through really rugged trails.

If you plan to keep to flowier trails or not bomb through DH trails, it is awesome.

I've had a Troy for 2 years now, and will be switching to a Spartan over the winter to try and find more speed on really rugged stuff.
    I would second this. I ride my Troy at Angel Fire when the dh bike is down. On the flow trails it hold it's own and I'll take it in the rough stuff, but there it is noticeably less stable and confidence inspiring than the Jedi (well really even on the jump lines I like the Jedi because of the feeling of stability at speed but the difference is slight)

I run it 160 in the front and love the way it feels on technical climbs, and there isn't much I wouldn't take it on and feel great locally. It is really just where it gets really step and fast (40% grades and over 30mph) or really rough (fast sustained rock gardens with lots of 6 inch to 12 inch rocks) that I would like something longer lower slacker with a bit more travel. But I love it on the fast, windy, rocky trails around here and on the climbs.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    It's just a flesh wound!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm PNW rider as well and I just picked up a Troy a couple months ago. I run the Pike up front at 160mm and the bike is a ripper. Only did a couple lift served days and I'd agree with the comments above. The Troy does awesome on flow jump lines but like any trail bike it finds it limits on black tech trails. I will be keeping it for a while and planning on doing a couple days at Whistler next summer on it, probably sticking to A-line, B-line, crank it up, blue velvet etc. I'd love a new Spartan but for most of the local riding at Tiger mountain and Duthie etc it'd be too much for me. Wish I could get both! Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
    I'm PNW rider as well and I just picked up a Troy a couple months ago. I run the Pike up front at 160mm and the bike is a ripper. Only did a couple lift served days and I'd agree with the comments above. The Troy does awesome on flow jump lines but like any trail bike it finds it limits on black tech trails. I will be keeping it for a while and planning on doing a couple days at Whistler next summer on it, probably sticking to A-line, B-line, crank it up, blue velvet etc. I'd love a new Spartan but for most of the local riding at Tiger mountain and Duthie etc it'd be too much for me. Wish I could get both! Good luck!
    nice. i'm up in bellingham. i went from the 2 bike fleet back down to one and you just have to compromise so much. be nice to have a snappy troy for galbraith and like a spartan for our off the map trails like stumpwater. i may just have to go back to the 2 bike set up like dogboy is gonna have