Troy: Monarch and Monarch Plus pressure increasing- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

Troy: Monarch and Monarch Plus pressure increasing

I copied this from the 'shocks' forum to see if anyone else with a Troy has this issue.

Were there some duds put on the market recently? I have two Monarchs, an RT and a Plus RC3 that seem to be increasing air pressure in the main chamber.

I've been riding for over 10 years and except for pulling apart dampers I have serviced and maintained all parts on my bike so I am sure it's not me doing something wrong. The norm has always been - pump up the rear shock to 200psi, remove the pump, reattach, and the pressure reading is always about 10psi lower, accounting for the volume of the hose. For me this has been the case on any Fox or RS standard or debonair.

I recently purchased a Troy from the lbs with a Monarch RT3 and at the same time purchased a Monarch Plus RC3 online for the bike. On both shocks, with two different pumps, I constantly find that a few days after I set the pressure and go for a ride, when I reattach the pump the pressure reading is the same or more than what I set it at. Yes, I cycle the shock to balance the +/- chambers as I set the pressure initially. I have never experienced this on any other Fox or Monarch before. Are there a bunch of shocks out there with bad seals or sleeves causing an issue with the +/- chambers?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coolatt View Post
    I copied this from the 'shocks' forum to see if anyone else with a Troy has this issue.

Were there some duds put on the market recently? I have two Monarchs, an RT and a Plus RC3 that seem to be increasing air pressure in the main chamber.

I've been riding for over 10 years and except for pulling apart dampers I have serviced and maintained all parts on my bike so I am sure it's not me doing something wrong. The norm has always been - pump up the rear shock to 200psi, remove the pump, reattach, and the pressure reading is always about 10psi lower, accounting for the volume of the hose. For me this has been the case on any Fox or RS standard or debonair.

I recently purchased a Troy from the lbs with a Monarch RT3 and at the same time purchased a Monarch Plus RC3 online for the bike. On both shocks, with two different pumps, I constantly find that a few days after I set the pressure and go for a ride, when I reattach the pump the pressure reading is the same or more than what I set it at. Yes, I cycle the shock to balance the +/- chambers as I set the pressure initially. I have never experienced this on any other Fox or Monarch before. Are there a bunch of shocks out there with bad seals or sleeves causing an issue with the +/- chambers?
    Temperature is the same when you checked?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk