Spartan/Troy/Django for Northeast riding??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Spartan/Troy/Django for Northeast riding??

Picked up MTB'ing after a 15 year hiatus last season. Got a Kona Kahuna to get myself back into riding. Progressed a lot quicker than I imagined, and now am looking to get a more serious bike for future riding. I want to get a bike that is versatile and one I can "grow" into, in terms of skill. Of the 3 listed bikes, Im leaning toward the Troy, which should have enough travel/specs to get into more downhill/aggressive trails. Can anyone provide some first hand feedback/reccs based on experience? Im in Mass. and will continue to explore trails in the area. From the reading Ive done, the Troy should fit the bill to ascend/descent the trail types in my area without too much weight/diff. in pedaling. Anyone here own a devinci in the NE USA and want to share their experience? Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I have a Django 29, but I just got it built up in November and only got a couple rides in on it. And truth be told, I really don't have the skills to push it as hard as it can go, and so wouldn't be a good example to tell you what it's like.

I can, however, point you to a few videos of people riding Devincis in NE, who have way more ability and experience than I, so their comments may prove useful. Perhaps you may have already seen these, but if not:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaxY4XY321U&t=489s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEra0I2BHY8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usDv6uvzGPY

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Troy is an awesome NE trail bike. A bit more than needed for much of local stuff in MA, but will suit you well wherever you go. Django would be great if you want to focus more on covering ground a bit more quickly.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    I primarily ride a troy in southeastern mass and I think it fits the area well. As stated, it's more than enough bike to handle anything you'll find in the majority of the state. One thing that stands out with me is it seems to climb way better than it should being a 140/150 bike. I am not a fan of the wheelsets that DeVinci uses on some of their builds, but other than that their bikes are A+ right out of the gate.
    Last edited by madgan; 02-10-2018 at 12:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I'd like to try a Troy, I owned the last generation Spartan and thought it climbed just fine. Reading about the new Spartan it says it climbs even better. I'd probably buy the new Spartan. I live in central MA and like finding trails with big drops and jumps, I know the Troy would handle 98% of it, just nice having that extra in my pocket in case I make a mistake or want to try something bigger than I've done before.