SC Bronson vs Devinci Troy vs Pivot Mach 6- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2006

SC Bronson vs Devinci Troy vs Pivot Mach 6

I'm really struggling to determine which bike to purchase. I'm currently on a 7 year old Yeti 575 and ready to pull the trigger on a new bike. I'm looking at the SC Bronson (X0-1 kit), Troy RR build or Mach 6 (XO-1). Due to weather it's going to be awhile until I can ride so I was looking on any input from anyone that may have tried or owns these bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I came off a 9 year old jamis hardtail, and went with the bronson. I purchased it last June. Best decision of my life. I went with the aluminum RAM kit with the kashima rear shock cus i'm not a balla. But it sounds like you can get the cream of the crop. Go with the Bronson. I was originally looking at speci enduro's but am glad i went with my decision. It climbs well too and i can charge the bike park on it. I have zero complaints with it other than i do drop chains with the 3x set up and vpp. I need to convert it to a 1x/poor mans x01.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I have a troy and it's sick. I haven't ridden the others, so I can't objectively say it's the best of the bunch. What I will say is it's firm under pedaling and plush on descents. I think all of those bikes will be that way for you. I think it would be a matter of figuring out what angles and sizes fit you best, along with aesthetics and spec value. Obviously, riding them is the way to go, but at least with regards to Devinci dealers; they are not plentiful in the states.

If you go the troy route, you might want to look into the XP spec and upgrade from there. The only reason I mention that is, you get the Pike with the XP kit. You can get it with the carbon frame for a $500 up charge from what the XP alloy build is($3500 total). Depending on what the prices end up being, it might make more financial sense to get that build and swap parts.

Good luck with your choice. You won't make a bad decision. It's nice to know that regardless what you pick, you'll get a sick looking, sick riding bike that will likely do pretty much anything you want. Take care.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks for the suggestions and I know it's very subjective. tokarsky thanks for the info on the build kit; I'll take a look at that option. I was going to go with the Pike as the LBS told me that Devinci will do the Pike or the Fox for the same price.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Sure thing. Happy to help.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I forgot to add the types of trails. I mainly ride trails in Park City, UT, Las Vegas, NV and Fruita, CO if that makes a difference. I know a lot of it comes down to personal preference and I don't think I can go wrong with the selection that I'm looking at.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I was bored with some downtime at work and I figured something for you. Troy Carbon XP($3500)+ X01($1200ish I think)+Reverb stealth($450). That puts you at $5150 vs the RR price of $6599. Now, you either need at XD driver for the X01 or get wheels that are 1X11 compatible. If you went with light-bicycle carbon wheels with Hope hubs, that puts you at $6050. New Ibis 41mm carbons: $6350. ENVE AMs: $7650. Who knows what money you could get back or get credited from your LBS with the parts you wouldn't use. If you set up that build with the Light-bicycle wheels and a RaceFace Next SL crank, you'd have a seriously light, seriously capable ride, and it'd be the same as the RR build. It could be very interesting. I suppose that's the fun of building up a sweet custom ride.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks for all the great info. Funny that you sent that we had already discussed the Race face next sl and upgrading the brakes. There are only a few (2) Troy's left in stock for medium which I think is my size. Otherwise, I can wait until May but it will be in next years color (green). Of course there is also a new devinci coming out, but I still think the Troy is going to be the best for my riding. I was getting the RR for ~$5900, but it still sounds like it makes sense to look at the custom build you mentioned. Now I need to research wheels.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Haven't rode a Troy, so can't comment there, visually it looks nice. Have a Bronson and overall I'm pretty happy. But I looked at the Mach 6 and two things just really bothered me. As someone with years on the Nomad, why is anyone still making 6" bikes with 71 degree seat angles? All these bikes are so versatile and can be ridden both up and down. However, if you set the bike up with 25-30% sag, then are climbing, you can easily be at 35-40% sag which equals a crazy slack seat angle and really uncomfortable climbing very long. The more progressive companies now are at 74 or 75 degree SA and the difference between the Nomad and Bronson in terms of a comfortable saddle position climbing was very noticeable. Santa Cruz address this in the new Nomad, but Focus, LaPierre and others are are ahead of SC IMHO.
    Second, the only Mach 6 I've seen had crazy tight tolerances on between the bottom linkage and the carbon and sand was already getting stuck and grinding away. Looked like over the long term it would be at least cosmetically hammered.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Great info. GrooveNinja. Thanks for the info on the two bikes. I've been trying to do a lot of reading to understand the measurements and how they affect the ride so I appreciate the detail. In the past I just jumped on and found something that felt right and didn't really look at the specs, but knew what I liked.

mtbr member

I've owned a Nomad for 5yrs+ and just got a Mach 6. They both climb well. The Mach 6 sits higher in its travel so the effective STA while climbing is not as slack as the geo chart suggests relative to other designs. I've never understood the criticism of the slack STA and certainly climb great on both bikes.

Tech climbing is my priority which is why I went with the Mach 6 and its DW-Link. Having a bike that's 8lbs lighter than the Nomad doesn't hurt either...

One notable benefit to the M6's geo is that it combines a short CS with decent sized TT in a short overall wheelbase. If you ride tight trails that's great.

As for the wear around the lower linkage on the M6 two small sections of protective tape solve that in about 60 seconds. The Lizard Skins patches fit perfectly. It's only cosmetic damage, but why not prevent it if it's easy?

FWIW - I wouldn't be unhappy to ride any of these bikes. They are different so it's worth considering which will serve you best, but at least you are picking from 3 nice options.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Wow! That is a beautiful Pivot. The LBS only had the black and from the picture in the brochure I didn't care much for the blue, but after seeing your's I have an entirely different opinion. I'm currently leaning towards the Troy; mainly because I really like working with the shop. They are a small family shop, but go the extra mile and they've been very easy to work with. I like SC, but I had a HORRIBLE experience with the dealer close to be so I'd have to drive elsewhere for that bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccie6460 View Post
    Wow! That is a beautiful Pivot. The LBS only had the black and from the picture in the brochure I didn't care much for the blue, but after seeing your's I have an entirely different opinion. I'm currently leaning towards the Troy; mainly because I really like working with the shop. They are a small family shop, but go the extra mile and they've been very easy to work with. I like SC, but I had a HORRIBLE experience with the dealer close to be so I'd have to drive elsewhere for that bike.
    Thanks. I ride in the forest 95% of the time so a bright bike is nice.

I considered a Troy briefly when I was looking for a new bike. I thought about getting a shorter travel bike and keeping my Nomad for heavy duty use then decided I was better off with one main bike...so I wanted a longer travel ride.

The AL Troys are made in Canada which is pretty cool and the carbon bikes look very nice.

I've enjoyed my Santa Cruz bikes, but when you drop a lot of $$ on a new ride you want a LBS you can trust to stand behind you if anything bad happens.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    The Focus SAM, new Nomad, and LaPierre Spicy team are other bikes I'd try as well.

mtbr member
    I wrote up an extensive comparison of my experiences having owned a Bronson and now owning a Mach 6 over on the Pivot forum:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/pivot-cycles/...es-905338.html

Re: the slack seat angle, I'd echo what Vik said: the DW link on the M6 rides high in its travel and has a lot of anti-squat built in.

IMHO the steep seat angle on many "modern" MTBs is a band-aid solution to cover up squat-prone long travel suspension designs. This makes a bike that will climb OK even when "squatted", but that puts the rider in a non-optimal pedaling position on flatter ground, with too much weight on the hands. The Mach 6's slacker angle feels very balanced when pedaling, and means it has a shorter wheelbase, which makes the bike more playful and fun (again, my opinion.)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    That is a ridiculously good looking bike.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Great review DrewBird and based on my riding I think I'm going to eliminate the Bronson from the list between what I've read and my experience with the dealer. I may wait a few weeks for the full specs on the new longer travel devinci bike before making a final decision.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I can't wait to see that new Devinci. Even more, I'm hoping someone does a shootout between the Norco Range C, Intense T275, New Nomad, and The Devinci X. What an awesome time that such amazing bikes are coming out.

mtbr member
    Yeah, the M6 is a looker!

SC Bronson vs Devinci Troy vs Pivot Mach 6-img_1494.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    vikib: great looking build! Where did you get the custom fork decals?

Quote Originally Posted by DrewBird View Post
    I wrote up an extensive comparison of my experiences having owned a Bronson and now owning a Mach 6 over on the Pivot forum:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/pivot-cycles/...es-905338.html
    This makes a bike that will climb OK even when "squatted", but that puts the rider in a non-optimal pedaling position on flatter ground, with too much weight on the hands. The Mach 6's slacker angle feels very balanced when pedaling, and means it has a shorter wheelbase, which makes the bike more playful and fun (again, my opinion.)
    That might be our difference, I have basically no flat trails, I'm either climbing for hours or descending. It could be shock tune or setup as well, but at 30% sag on flat I still wanted better small bump sensitivity on the M6, so I hardly wanted more air in the shock and climbing I was seeing 35-40% sag depending on the trail. When measuring how far the seat is behind the BB, it was quite a bit further behind the BB than than the Bronson and quite a few other bikes I was considering. I'm sure this is personal preference, but years of climbs on a Nomad and my knees just can't do that position comfortably anymore and a 74+ SA is ideal for my legs and femur length. Perhaps as you said, this is a more balanced bike on flat terrain than the 74/75 degree SA bikes.

Protective tape would not have stopped the gouges I saw on the lower pivot. To get the rock out, the guy had to pull the pivot apart and the gouges were 1/8" deep on the linkage and carbon.

mtbr member
    GrooveNinja I'd guess you had a setup problem or a bad shock on your M6 test ride. I've owned at least 10 bikes in the 150mm travel range and the M6 is as plush as the best of them while still being a great pedaling bike.
    Can't keep track anymore - Giant, Santa Cruz, Pivot, Yeti, Norco, Salsa, Intense - if it rolls on dirt I like it :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GrooveNinja View Post

That might be our difference, I have basically no flat trails, I'm either climbing for hours or descending. It could be shock tune or setup as well, but at 30% sag on flat I still wanted better small bump sensitivity on the M6, so I hardly wanted more air in the shock and climbing I was seeing 35-40% sag depending on the trail. When measuring how far the seat is behind the BB, it was quite a bit further behind the BB than than the Bronson and quite a few other bikes I was considering. I'm sure this is personal preference, but years of climbs on a Nomad and my knees just can't do that position comfortably anymore and a 74+ SA is ideal for my legs and femur length. Perhaps as you said, this is a more balanced bike on flat terrain than the 74/75 degree SA bikes.

Protective tape would not have stopped the gouges I saw on the lower pivot. To get the rock out, the guy had to pull the pivot apart and the gouges were 1/8" deep on the linkage and carbon.
    Thanks ...you can get custom fork decals from a few places. I got those ones from Silk Graphics - Slik Graphics

My early impression Mach 6 vs. Nomad MK2 is the Nomad is more plush and the M6 is more responsive to pedalling and more efficient. I'm not nearly done the suspension tuning on the M6, but I would be surprised if I get it to be as supple as the Nomad. Given how much I need to climb that's a worthwhile trade off for me. To be clear that's not saying the M6 is harsh...it's just I've got my Nomad uber buttery smooth...LOL... ;

I'm in the same boat with no flat sections...I'm either going up something steep or coming down something steep. The slack STA's work for me well, but I think that's really something folks have to investigate for themselves in the context of the whole bike design.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

Good job! Fork decals

Quote Originally Posted by GrooveNinja View Post
    My Bronson has similar decals from Slik Graphics in the UK. I selected "black background | light blue details" when ordering.

Had the shop install them after custom-painting the originally-white fork to match the black frame. Here's a close-up:

SC Bronson vs Devinci Troy vs Pivot Mach 6-img_1184.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm in a similar situation, looking at the Mach 6, Bronson, etc.. Only ridden the Bronson so far out of what you mentioned. But I will say, for being a bottom end build on the AL frame it was a very well balanced bike. Cornered very well, you could confidently throw it into corners, be aggressive with the front end and trust it to stick, let the rear end drift out to rotate it a little, overall very controllable and confidence inspiring. Descending through techy rocky sections it was good, not great, not quite nimble enough to weave your way through stuff, but not plush enough to just plow through it. Though a higher end fork and shock would have made a big difference.

Another bike you should seriously consider is the bandit 27.5. I rode that back to back with the Bronson. Definitely felt more "focused" towards the nimble, flickable end. You could plow through stuff just as well if you wanted, but always felt better popping and weaving your way down. Cornering was better in that it just felt glued and super easy to whip around corners, wasn't quite as predictable when the bike started sliding, but that's probably more down to being on skinnier ardents vs high rollers on the Bronson. A bandit with a pike 160, good shock, and some bigger tires would be awesome.

Only place the Bronson was a little better was going over big square edge hits, where the slacker HTA soaked up impacts better. The bandit liked to have the front end popped up where the Bronson could just plow and roll over.

If it were me right now, between what I've ridden I'd go with the bandit. I just plain felt fast in it. Though I really need to try out a Mach 6 before I decide.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Not to throw another wrench in things, but I was in the same predicament a few months back. I had a Nomad Carbon that I liked a lot, but it was a bit heavy and was too short for my liking. Handled great in Whistler, but on regular pedally trails it just didn't have the get up and go that I was looking for. I sold the bike and rode my Chromag Samurai while I waited for the Pivot Mach 6 to be released, but I ended up pulling my name from the waiting list and going with a Banshee Spitfire 650b.

I swear I have never ridden a full suspension all mountain bike that is as generally fast and confident as the Spitfire. It is longer and slacker than my Nomad, and despite only having 140mm of travel it handles all the drops, jumps and gnar that the Nomad did. The CCDBA CS shock no doubt helps with this, but the bike sits high in its travel and uses every millimeter efficiently. Flip on the CS lever on the shock and it climbs very well, zipping along with hardly any pedal bob. The bike just loves to go fast, and it's a rare breed of efficient and confident that I haven't seen elsewhere. Sure, it's not made of fantastic plastic nor is it the lightest frame out there, but it's an absolute riot to ride.

SC Bronson vs Devinci Troy vs Pivot Mach 6-spitfire.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I looked at the spitfire too prior to pulling the trigger on the Troy. For my budget I was getting a better spec'd bike with the Devinci. The spitfire was awesome though. A bit more plush, long, and definitely more slack. A solid addition to this discussion. Beautiful ride man.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thank you all for all of the great info. I've decided to go with the Troy and placed my order today. I felt all of the bikes were pretty similar, but in the end it came down to the LBS. I found a great shop. It's a small shop that is run by a husband and wife, but they were amazing to work with and very helpful with my MANY questions. I decided not to do the RR build (thanks to tokarsky) and we are doing a custom build for about the same price. I'm going with the Red frame. Some people have pushed their order to get the green frame so they actually have some red one's at the factory.

Devinci Troy XP Carbon (Pike shock)
    Panceti TL 28 wheels (was thinking about carbon, (derby's or LB's) but I'm going to wait on those)
    Hope evo2 pro hubs
    rockshox reverb stealth
    Race Face Next SL Crank
    SRAM X01 drivetrain (minus the crank of course)
    X01 trail brakes (I read a lot of mixed reviews on SRAM brakes, but I've never had a single issue with the one's on my 7 year old Yeti so I decided to try them)
    Still working out some of the other details, but those are the items that we ordered today.

Now the hard part...the waiting game.

It also worked out well for my son as he has a specialized hardrock and we are going to put the parts of the XP build kit on his bike (brakes and drivetrain).

Thanks again for all of the valuable information.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Congrats on pulling the trigger. You'll love it I'm sure, and its so nice to patronize a shop with good people. Have fun!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thank you all for all of the great info. I've decided to go with the Troy and placed my order today. I felt all of the bikes were pretty similar, but in the end it came down to the LBS. I found a great shop. It's a small shop that is run by a husband and wife, but they were amazing to work with and very helpful with my MANY questions. I decided not to do the RR build (thanks to tokarsky) and we are doing a custom build for about the same price. I'm going with the Red frame. Some people have pushed their order to get the green frame so they actually have some red one's at the factory.

Panceti TL 28 wheels (was thinking about carbon, (derby's or LB's) but I'm going to wait on those)
    Hope evo2 pro hubs
    rockshox reverb stealth
    Race Face Next SL Crank
    X01 trail brakes (I read a lot of mixed reviews on SRAM brakes, but I've never had a single issue with the one's on my 7 year old Yeti so I decided to try them)
    Still working out some of the other details, but those are the items that we ordered today.

It also worked out well for my son as he has a specialized hardrock and we are going to put the parts of the XP build kit on his bike (brakes and drivetrain).

Awesome!!! I've gone the same route. Got a green troy xp

I put on my ghetto 1x. I've got a xx1 crank, xtr rear derailuer/shifter, xt cassette with 42 wolf tooth, xt chain. Also XT brakes, Thomson stem, haven carbon bars. Thing that are on there way. Thomson seatpost, wtb seat and i9 torch trail 24H.

mtbr member
    My troy should be ready in a week or two thank goodness. Great choice sir. Go join the rest of udon that Troy thread and let's see some pics when you get them!
    Santa Cruz HT2

mtbr member
    Thank you all for all of the great info. I've decided to go with the Troy and placed my order today.
    Congrats! The Troy is a fine ride. Enjoy...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Nice Choice you will Love It . I do Mine

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Nice choice. I also think the red frame is the better looking option

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post

I've owned a Nomad for 5yrs+ and just got a Mach 6. They both climb well. The Mach 6 sits higher in its travel so the effective STA while climbing is not as slack as the geo chart suggests relative to other designs. I've never understood the criticism of the slack STA and certainly climb great on both bikes.

Tech climbing is my priority which is why I went with the Mach 6 and its DW-Link. Having a bike that's 8lbs lighter than the Nomad doesn't hurt either...

One notable benefit to the M6's geo is that it combines a short CS with decent sized TT in a short overall wheelbase. If you ride tight trails that's great.

As for the wear around the lower linkage on the M6 two small sections of protective tape solve that in about 60 seconds. The Lizard Skins patches fit perfectly. It's only cosmetic damage, but why not prevent it if it's easy?

FWIW - I wouldn't be unhappy to ride any of these bikes. They are different so it's worth considering which will serve you best, but at least you are picking from 3 nice options.

Your bike is stunning. I rank it in the top 2 bikes I've seen, the other is a Turner Flux with a polished frame. Pivot should use a pic of your bike on their site because the one on their website looks nothing like this one.
    2012 GT Karakoram
    2013 Scott Genius 940

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue426 View Post
    Your bike is stunning. I rank it in the top 2 bikes I've seen, the other is a Turner Flux with a polished frame. Pivot should use a pic of your bike on their site because the one on their website looks nothing like this one.
    Thanks...

Sadly it doesn't look nearly as nice now that it's seen quite a lot of mud, but there's a time to pimp your bike and a time to thrash it on the trails!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I received the confirmation today that they did have the red in stock at the factory and it shipped this afternoon. Can't wait to get the new bike! This was a nice surprise because as of early last week I would need to wait until late May for the next run. I think some people canceled to get the green frame so if you are in the market for a red Troy check with your LBS.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Thanks for the suggestions and I know it's very subjective. tokarsky thanks for the info on the build kit; I'll take a look at that option. I was going to go with the Pike as the LBS told me that Devinci will do the Pike or the Fox for the same price.
    Is this just in regards to the Fox on the RR build? I ask b/c I'm considering the carbon XP, but I would be interested in the carbon RC but with the Pike. If there's no $ diff, to me, that's a no brainer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeynets View Post
    Is this just in regards to the Fox on the RR build? I ask b/c I'm considering the carbon XP, but I would be interested in the carbon RC but with the Pike. If there's no $ diff, to me, that's a no brainer.
    Can you clarify your question? Are you asking if you can swap the fork without swapping the entire part spec? If that's the question, I'm not sure. I was under the assumption that you couldn't do that. That being said, I'm assuming and didn't ask the question of my Devinci dealer.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    It's with either. I ended up with the XP carbon build and then we ordered all of the other parts so you should be able to do it with any build.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tokarsky268 View Post
    Can you clarify your question? Are you asking if you can swap the fork without swapping the entire part spec? If that's the question, I'm not sure. I was under the assumption that you couldn't do that. That being said, I'm assuming and didn't ask the question of my Devinci dealer.
    I was asking if the fork swap could be done on any build for no extra cost. I thought it might be different based on Devinci using diff. Fox forks for each build, but a quick check on the website confirms it's the same 34 Float across all builds that use the Fox.

So, I guess the Pike and Float are close enough $$ wise that it can be swapped without an upcharge?

ccie6460 can you explain how your order process went? Did you start with XP and then just swapped parts, or did you basically buy a complete XP build and then also buy your upgrades, keeping the XP kit?

mtbr member
    Mikeynets,
    I made a visit to Bear Creek Bicycle while I was in Ashland (I see you are in Portland) last month on business. The guys there are awesome and they carry the Troy's as well as Giant bikes. If indeed they are the closest to you, you should give them a shout for sure.

My dealer out here (my Troy is on order) is amazing. Started with XP build and because they have to actually build the bike from the ground up, they let me do some customization on my build. They offered to give me a few bucks for some of the XP kit I changed out, but I opted to keep most of it. It's one of the attractions about going with the Troy for me. My local dealers act like you are a PITA if you want to change Anything before it leaves the shop. Upgrading things here and there were well accepted by them....shout out to Billy Goat Bikes in Asheville, NC.
    Santa Cruz HT2

mtbr member

Hope evo2 pro hubs
    rockshox reverb stealth
    Race Face Next SL Crank

Great choice and congrats on the new bike. I kinda missed this thread when it first came up and when I saw the title I thought to myself, "Pick any one".

I think between these three it comes down to fit, minor geometry differences, dealer/local shop preference, availability, color options, and price. The dw link suspension on the Pivot is a bit more sofisticated than the split pivot on the Troy but in real world riding I didn't feel that big of difference.

I would happily ride any one of those three.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I was originally going to buy the RR kit and my LBS would just charge me the difference in cost for the new parts. ie Race Face Next SL crank. He was then going to sell them himself. After looking at everything and some advice here it made sense to go with the lower build. I ordered the XP build. I was told that I could get some credit back on parts, but I'm actually going to use the crank set, brakes and shifter to upgrade my son's Hard rock so basically I just have the extra wheels.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuch View Post
    Mikeynets,
    I made a visit to Bear Creek Bicycle while I was in Ashland (I see you are in Portland) last month on business. The guys there are awesome and they carry the Troy's as well as Giant bikes. If indeed they are the closest to you, you should give them a shout for sure.

My dealer out here (my Troy is on order) is amazing. Started with XP build and because they have to actually build the bike from the ground up, they let me do some customization on my build. They offered to give me a few bucks for some of the XP kit I changed out, but I opted to keep most of it. It's one of the attractions about going with the Troy for me. My local dealers act like you are a PITA if you want to change Anything before it leaves the shop. Upgrading things here and there were well accepted by them....shout out to Billy Goat Bikes in Asheville, NC.
    I live in Fairfax, CA now thought I changed that on my profile, guess not. But I lived in Portland for a long time and if/when the time comes to buy the Troy, I plan on buying it through Fat Tire Farm in Portland. An awesome shop BTW for anyone who's traveling in the area.

On a side note, I demoed the Troy in Ashland this winter. It handled the snow and ice very well and felt great even on a slap-dash pre-ride setup.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Troy is finally done. I just got back from Moab and should be picking it up on Wednesday.

Carbon frame with XP kit
    Pike fork
    Race Face Next SL crank
    Pacenti wheels
    Hope hubs
    X0 Trail brakes
    X01 shifter/drivetrain
    Reverb dropper post

SC Bronson vs Devinci Troy vs Pivot Mach 6-troy.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    All nice bikes, considered them myself. In the end I decided to get a 2014 Giant Trance Advanced SX. The Advanced SX is their Carbon version, comes with a Fox 34 FACTORY FIT Talas (160/140 travel) and a Fox Float X rear shock (140 travel), X01 1x11 drivetrain, Avid Trail 9 brakes (180/170), tough and light wheels Giant/DTSwiss P-TRX1 wheels, and dropper post, STEALTH BLACK. Bike weighs around 29lbs. stock. MSRP $6400 Canadian but I got a bit of a deal. Happy shopping!

I am making a couple of minor setup changes:
    -Schwalbe Magic Mary Trailstar 2.35 Front Tire
    -Schwalbe Hans Damf Pacestar 2.35 Rear Tire
    -Chromag Ranger 50mm stem
    -Jerome Clementz Carbon Bar 750mm
    -Specialized Venom Pro Saddle (sizing options, mine feels good!)
    -Ergon GE1 Grips
    -MRP XCg ISCG 05 Ring Protection

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I think that if I had the extra cash, my first choice would be the T275 Carbon (Knolly Warden really close second). So many great bikes these day! But personally, I think getting a bike that comes with at least a Fox 34 Factory FIT or Pike, good brakes, strong and light wheels... are mandatory. Fox 32 and Evolution dampers are weak sauce!

Similar bikes to consider are:
    Intense T275 Carbon
    Knolly Warden
    Kona Process 153
    Yeti SB66
    Norco Range
    Trek Slash 9
    Devinci Spartan
    Santa Cruz Nomad 3

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    BTW, nice ride ccie6460. Sounds light too, how much does it weigh? Did you keep the Hans Dampfs on? If so, how are they performance and wear wise?

26" wheels but had to mention the Transition Covert Carbon. Sexy and nicely spec'd!