New Troys for 2019- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014

New Troys for 2019

DEVINCI

29s and 27.5s

Superboost?

Threaded BB

I like how they changed the geo chip. The old way was a pain to use.

Maybe a little on the pricey side?

Norwegr
    Saw the email, it's pretty:

Odd that they went even wider than regular boost yet only found room for 2.4s.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
    Saw the email, it's pretty:

Odd that they went even wider than regular boost yet only found room for 2.4s.
    Boost and Superboost are primarily about making a stiffer wheel, not fitting fatter tires.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Damn, just laced in an I9 boost hub thinking it would be more 'future proof.'

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Been kinda waiting for something like this from Devinci. I thought they would just fit a 185x50 trunnion mount shock, longer fork and a bit slacker HA on the existing Django 29 and call it awesome but this is a totally different route.

A few things come to mind. First, Chris Cocalis. Then 157 spacing. They say it's because of clearance, CS length and stiffness. Well, many have overshocked their Djangos to ~140mm, with comparable wheel clearance and CS length. Can't say I've had issues with wheel stiffness on any 29er ever (some carbon wheels have actually felt too stiff). So there goes those arguments. Maybe the rear end is stiffer as a whole with 157, but do we really need it to be stiffer? I'd say its mostly marketing and a small part improvement. But there are also drawbacks. Knee problems for many of us because of larger Q-factor, heel clearance issues for big feet and the obvious compatibility issues. In my eyes superboost is more negative than positive. You guessed it already, huh?

Geometry. I know they all want to sell a "stabile but agile" bike combining a long front center and short rear. Well, it would be nice if both teams could win in tug-o-war but it's impossible. Why nyt have a bit longer CS on a bike that's clearly designed for speed and create a balanced riding position instead? It's really a challenge to weigh the front on these reverse mullet bikes. Same problem on my Django 29 and 170mm Enduro/park bike. Wish they both had a bit longer CS, then they'd be awesome, and balanced! Some kind of flip chip to change CS length would make many a happy customer...

I guess the industry knows these things but don't want to create a totally balanced and awesome bike top-to-bottom. What would they sell next year then?

But yeah, rest of the bike looks to be quite nice. Flip chip in better position, shock mount in better position (not that great implementation on Django carbon!!!) and different mounting options for a bottle. Still, I'll vote for regular boost with my money.

banned
    Apr 2006
    Shock mount ugly ugly ugly!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I'll be interested to see how they ride. Doesn't seem like much has changed all that much. Super boost, 5ish mm longer reach, and degree slacker HT, otherwise geo is pretty similar. The 29er is the biggest thing imo, but I don't feel I need to immediately dump my current Troy for this one. It's still a pretty dialed bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by _tarzan View Post
    Knee problems for many of us because of larger Q-factor, heel clearance issues for big feet and the obvious compatibility issues. In my eyes superboost is more negative than positive. You guessed it already, huh?
    This is what pisses me off about Boost. Everything I read originally when they were introducing it was that it was the widest you could go and maintain the narrower Q Factor- then all the manufacturer threw that right out the window when designing their frames.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    This bike and it's pricing has me wondering about Devinci's business and market strategy. It's freaking expensive. More expensive than comparable bikes of premium brands like Santa Cruz, Ibis, Yeti, Evil...and more than other Canadian brands like Rocky Mountain and Norco - who appear to be getting traction outside of Canada. It a significant price jump from the previous Troy. And I don't think Devinci has the premium brand equity to charge at this level, plus their bikes (carbon or aluminum) are heavier than most.

In many ways they are missing the boat to better market "handmade in Canada" at least for the Aluminum bikes. And maybe they can actually charge this premium if their carbon layup was in Canada too, but I'm pretty sure it's done overseas. It seems like boutique brands like Guerrilla Gravity has done a much better job and marketing "Made in America" with their bikes. And at this price point, I rather get a GG.

Honestly the pricing of this bike has me scratching my head...and as brands like YT and Canyon continue to push into NA, it's going to be tougher for brands like Devinci.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothmoose View Post
    This bike and it's pricing has me wondering about Devinci's business and market strategy. It's freaking expensive. More expensive than comparable bikes of premium brands like Santa Cruz, Ibis, Yeti, Evil...and more than other Canadian brands like Rocky Mountain and Norco - who appear to be getting traction outside of Canada. It a significant price jump from the previous Troy. And I don't think Devinci has the premium brand equity to charge at this level, plus their bikes (carbon or aluminum) are heavier than most.

In many ways they are missing the boat to better market "handmade in Canada" at least for the Aluminum bikes. And maybe they can actually charge this premium if their carbon layup was in Canada too, but I'm pretty sure it's done overseas. It seems like boutique brands like Guerrilla Gravity has done a much better job and marketing "Made in America" with their bikes. And at this price point, I rather get a GG.

Honestly the pricing of this bike has me scratching my head...and as brands like YT and Canyon continue to push into NA, it's going to be tougher for brands like Devinci.
    To be fair the only other company you can compare them to SC since both offer Lifetime.

Trek Slash $3699 2 year Warranty
    Yeti $3500 5 year.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Another example of bad marketing job with Devinci. Made in Canada and Lifetime warranty should be what they lead with. Neither show up on the Troy webpage clearly. I guess they want to lead with Carbon on this bike.

Either way - warranty is only one factor - so I would still compare it to other premium brands. SC does a great job marketing the lifetime warranty...part of it is from SC owners that get a frame replacement are walking advertisements.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothmoose View Post
    Another example of bad marketing job with Devinci. Made in Canada and Lifetime warranty should be what they lead with. Neither show up on the Troy webpage clearly. I guess they want to lead with Carbon on this bike.

Either way - warranty is only one factor - so I would still compare it to other premium brands. SC does a great job marketing the lifetime warranty...part of it is from SC owners that get a frame replacement are walking advertisements.
    Lifetime warranty yes, made in Canada no. Not the carbon frames anyway.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Does anybody happen to know if Devinci are planning on offering the Troy in aluminum?

I agree with several of the posts here re: the high cost of these bikes. The frame itself is $3250 but it appears that the frame includes a reverb dropper. Which strikes me as odd as youd think theyd expect frame-only buyers to run their dropper of choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by incubus View Post
    Does anybody happen to know if Devinci are planning on offering the Troy in aluminum?

I agree with several of the posts here re: the high cost of these bikes. The frame itself is $3250 but it appears that the frame includes a reverb dropper. Which strikes me as odd as youd think theyd expect frame-only buyers to run their dropper of choice.

Most of the release articles mentioned aluminum bikes coming in the fall.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Anybody out there have some time on Troy 29? Some decent deals have popped up recently and Im looking to try a 29er. I had the old generation Troy and liked it quite a bit. This newer one doesnt have anything extreme or eye popping about it as far as geometry but is in the sweet for me of a burly and capable trail bike. Any info would be appreciated, also looking at a ripmo and sb130 but they are both more expensive and Im a big Devinci fan.

mtbr member
    I think the Troy is an awesome bike. It's a pretty aggressive geometry, but not so much that it can't be an all day type bike to ride. Those steep seat angles that all the paid reviewers think they need are great for climbing, but put you in a more hand heavy riding position on flatter sections.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Ive got one! I got the 2019 GX in XL, its a really nice ride especially with the chip flipped in low but have to watch for peddle strikes!

Re the warranty its solid I had to claim as had a inch wide out bound crack under the seat post after 3 months ownership and light riding but all good since so hopefully I just got the bad one first time round.

mtbr member
    Just bought a 2109 frame off Competitive Cyclist for $2274. 30% off. Cant wait to build it.