New parts needed for my devinci hucker- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2014

New parts needed for my devinci hucker

Hey guys! im new to this forum and this is my first post. well I have devinci hucker1 2008. ride is so good and it runs very well up to now. but for a 6 year old bike, some parts need to be replaced. One of them is my shimano hg30 11-32t 8 speed cassette. but i wanna ask you guys what is the good replacement for this one. for now, not looking for the high end one but a reasonable price with the same quality or higher than my old one. Thanks!

Fat-tired Roadie
    HG30 11-32 8-speed.

Seriously, I think Shimano cassettes are pretty good. You could also substitute a SRAM cassette. Whatever you get needs to be 8-speed. You can change up everything else if you want to.

Shimano numbering is a bit of a mess. The HG50 and named cassettes are nicer. SRAM does it sequentially. The first number needs to be '8.' For the next two digits, higher numbers are fancier. A SRAM 830 should be comparable to what you've got.

Get a new chain at the same time.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Oh i see, so thats what number on sram stands for.
    Actually, im also considering the powerglide 830, but I also read some mix review bout this. Sime they say that it breaks easily after couple of miles of use but maybe it depends how they use. But considering the price, the shiny color, and the reputation of the brand name, i think this is a good replacement.

For the chain, i still have my unused shimano ig51 sitting for couple of months.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    HG30 11-32 8-speed.

Seriously, I think Shimano cassettes are pretty good. You could also substitute a SRAM cassette. Whatever you get needs to be 8-speed. You can change up everything else if you want to.

Shimano numbering is a bit of a mess. The HG50 and named cassettes are nicer. SRAM does it sequentially. The first number needs to be '8.' For the next two digits, higher numbers are fancier. A SRAM 830 should be comparable to what you've got.

Get a new chain at the same time.

Fat-tired Roadie
    User error. Lots of people can't work on their bikes. They damage stuff, then blame the part.

I do like Shimano a bit better, but there's nothing wrong with SRAM cassettes. I end up buying them more often, actually, because they're usually cheaper.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    But, does it really need to follow the recommended chain specified by the cassette info or any chain with the correct links and speed specs would be fine?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I also run 8 speed for the most part and have mixed and matched cogs, rings, and chains across different manufactures a ton of times. Never really noticed much difference in performance at similar price points between them.

If you're happy with the way the original worked, no harm in just replacing it with the same thing, or go up to a 'better' one if you find a deal.

I've got a 2008 Devinci Hectik kicking around that I rode for a number of years; they make good bikes IME. Have fun with it.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I have so many 8 and 9 speed cassettes laying around and they are all the same at their given price points. Sram and shimano are pretty much interchangeable. I would go with whichever is cheaper.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Thanks for the feedback guys. One of these days i would get the cassette and I will post any updates here. Well done I guess with the cassette, no plans now for changing brakes since the stock one still grips a lot. Still running with mechanical one and i dont have any problems with that but, i just wanna know if what level of quality is the avid db1 compare to avid bb7 mech type?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Ok so for an update, i decided to get the shimano hg51 8 speed cassette. I didnt shift to 9 speed as i have to change most of the things. But i have a couple of question that i need to uknow or understand:

First,
    - right now im running RPM Comet crankset Forged, 32/22T, 170mm w/alloy CNC bashguard. I dont have any info of the bottom bracket, but for the year and model of the bike, posible that it has 68/73mm BB shell?

-if im running 68mm, or 73mm shell how do i know the right bottom bracket to use?

-how will i know the size of my bottom bracket without removing it?

-and if im running isis BB, is there any way to use any type of BB like gxp or anything else?

Fat-tired Roadie
    I'd almost bet money you have a 68 mm English-threaded bottom bracket. That's based on year and that Devincis aren't department store bikes but they're not super-exotic either. Post some pics.

68 and 73 correspond to the actual width of the bottom bracket shell. So you can measure it with a calipers or a ruler and have that answer.

The next piece of the puzzle is spindle length and interface type. Honestly, the only way I know to really know is to pull it out and look. You didn't want to keep your hands clean, did you?

The bottom bracket must match both the crank and the frame. Asking if you can run some other standard of you're running ISIS, or whatever, sorta doesn't make sense. No, you can't. If your crank fits ISIS, it only fits ISIS. But I think that's not what you're really asking. If you want to substitute a different crank, that uses a different bottom bracket standard, you can. Just so long as the bottom bracket fits your bottom bracket shell. That's going to be most cranks on the market right now of I'm right about your shell type. You still need to do your homework, though, because there are some new standards that won't.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Ok so here are some pictures of the bike
    New parts needed for my devinci hucker-image.jpg

As i check the measurement, it shows that its 73mm. So is it posible that im running 68mm english thread BB on 73mm shell?

Fat-tired Roadie
    No. But English-threaded describes the threading, not the shell width. So 73 mm English is possible. :-) That's what I think you've got.

It's less common, but it's still very easy to get parts. Most of the new outboard bearing bottom brackets are designed to be cross-compatible. You'd just use fewer spacers. Any three-piece crank will work too. You may need to use the next longer spindle length. New cranks should say somewhere in the specifications or instructions. Sometimes it ends up being guess-and-check.

To my eye, your crank looks fine. But it's your money.