Hatchet thread- Mtbr.com

Thread: Hatchet thread

mtbr member
    Mar 2017

Hatchet thread

Anyone riding a Hatchet gravel grinder? I have two rides on mine and I really dig it. I got the mid-grade "Rival" model, mis-named really because the only Rival component on it is the derailleur; everything else is Apex. But it all works really well, and I'm amazed at how stable it is at speed....it likes to get rowdy! Planned upgrades are a dropper post and eventually some carbon hoops, but for now it's just great to have something to break up the routine and cover some more miles.

mtbr member
    Awesome! I'm been thinking of getting a Hatchet to get some base KM's in and something to use on my trainer and the Hatchet looks sick! I'm looking at the Sora G model.
    Can you tell me if the frame has routing for an internal dropper post?
    My MTB adventures! Subscribe & Like!

http://toogyhowsermtb.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Toogy View Post
    Awesome! I'm been thinking of getting a Hatchet to get some base KM's in and something to use on my trainer and the Hatchet looks sick! I'm looking at the Sora G model.
    Can you tell me if the frame has routing for an internal dropper post?
    Hey Toogy -

yeah, the cable routing is yet another of the notable cool things on this bike. Shifter, brake, and dropper cable all go in a port on the downtube right behind the head tube.

mtbr member
    I'm really tempted to pick up a Hatchet. Found a deal on a GRX LTD, and the spec seems pretty much perfect.

Any updates on how you're getting along with the bike?

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Hi Sid -

The wheels on mine are definitely a weak point. V2? Not really familiar with them prior to this but these are heavy and not particularly sturdy or well built. The rear started groaning after three rides and all the spokes needed tightening. It's quiet now and I expect they'll last a few months, but as soon as I'm able I'll upgrade. Good news is that the rest of the bike is really worthy of that upgrade! Geometry is wonderful, and there are several nice touches like plenty of bottle mounts and good cable routing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeInPA View Post
    Hi Sid -

The wheels on mine are definitely a weak point. V2? Not really familiar with them prior to this but these are heavy and not particularly sturdy or well built. The rear started groaning after three rides and all the spokes needed tightening. It's quiet now and I expect they'll last a few months, but as soon as I'm able I'll upgrade. Good news is that the rest of the bike is really worthy of that upgrade! Geometry is wonderful, and there are several nice touches like plenty of bottle mounts and good cable routing.
    Cool, thanks for response!

Also, as luck would have it, I have a carbon gravel wheelset sitting in my garage (long and not very interesting story), so those will be the daily driver. I'll probably put some road tires on the stock wheelset and use it for the handful of road rides I do per year.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    You're all set then. And those DT Swiss on the GRX LTD are no doubt way better than the V2s. I was thinking of going with the higher spec, but when it came time for me to do this thing I could find one. I knew I'd want even better wheels eventually, so this will work out over time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I’ve also been impressed with this frame design. Sure wish Devinci would offer a frame only option like their other bikes.

Sid - lucky you, where did you find a deal on the GRX LTD!
    Last edited by RichA; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:52 PM. Reason: grammar

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichA View Post
    I’ve also been impressed with this frame design. Sure wish Devinci would offer a frame only option like their other bikes.

Sid - lucky you, where did you find a deal on the GRX LTD!
    Wrench Science (a shop local to me, but I think most of their business is online) is doing a sale with 15% off pretty much everything.

I’ve bought from them before and they’re super cool to work with for customizations. I wouldn’t be surprised if they could get you a frame only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I’ve bought from them before and they’re super cool to work with for customizations. I wouldn’t be surprised if they could get you a frame only.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thanks for the tip.
    I contacted them, no frame only option is available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on one of these. Anyone ride theirs on the street? Curious how it does as a road bike.

beater
    I bought a ‘16 in March of that year. I’ve been happy with it, and it sees more paved miles than gravel. No upgrades yet, but I keep thinking about cable-actuated hydraulic brakes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Pmrmusic26 View Post
    I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on one of these. Anyone ride theirs on the street? Curious how it does as a road bike.
    I've probably put half road/half gravel miles on mine so far and it's fine on the road. I'll admit that I've spent the past three years riding 99% MTB, and my Trek Madone hangs above my workbench like a decoration these days, so I don't have any fresh comparison, but I feel like the Hatchet is comfortable and efficient, and maybe just a little bit slack for really hammering on the road. In other words: perfect (!) if you're not trying to win the sprints and want a bike that can go anywhere.