Django 29 vs 27.5 which should I get?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bacon Fat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    433

    Django 29 vs 27.5 which should I get?

    Has anyone spent time on the 27.5 and 29 Django? I'm interested in how they compare. I'm looking for a new trail bike and with great deals on the 27.5, they have peaked my interest.

    I'm looking for a fun, playful bike that likes to pop of roots, rock etc. Something that will carve thu tight east coast trails. The trails that I'm riding are pretty smooth with light roots and rocks, they are punchy ups and down, no long climbs, very little features.

    Medium speed turning is most important to me. I'm not crawling rocks at 3mph and not riding berm at 20mph. Not too worried about losing some rollover as there isn't much to roll over.

    I'm currently riding a rigid fat bike that does well on these trails. My FS fat bike is just to heavy and is the opposite of playful.

    My only concern of 27.5 is that I'm 6-1 and feel like 29s might be a better fit. My last FS 29 was a 2013 Rocky Instinct which was too small and not the greatest handling bike. But 29er have improved since then.

    Unfortunately I can't test ride either as there are no dealers near me.

    So which one should I get?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    920
    I haven't ridden the 27.5, but every review I've see say if you want to do what you want, pop roots and rocks, ride something playful, the Django 27.5 is the way to go.

    The 29er is still a lot of fun, but not to the extent of the smaller wheeled model.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1
    I have a 2016 27.5. I am 6'2", but with relatively short arms, so a large fits me great. I also debated between the 27.5 and 29; they are both great bikes. I especially like how burly they look and feel - the increased confidence has allowed me to ride stuff I haven't hit before. As rufus said, the 27.5 will be a little more playful, the 29 will allow you to roll over everything, but I don't think the differences are big enough to stress too much about. I went with 27.5 because it was a good deal.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bacon Fat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    433
    Thanks for the replies,
    I ended up ordering the 27.5. Looking forward to giving 27.5 a try

  5. #5
    Rider/Builder/Hacker
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    418
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon Fat View Post
    Thanks for the replies,
    I ended up ordering the 27.5. Looking forward to giving 27.5 a try
    Any feedback to share? I currently have a Django 29er, but have been kicking around the idea of adding a 27.5.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bacon Fat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    433
    Quote Originally Posted by carbine_275 View Post
    Any feedback to share? I currently have a Django 29er, but have been kicking around the idea of adding a 27.5.

    I really like the bike. The more I ride it, the better it gets. But I would think its more do to the design of the bike than the tire size. I have noticed in a couple sections, 29 might roll better or a large root or rock, but if I hit that section with more speed then its not an issue. It corners well, I can change lines mid corner, sweep around the outside or square off the corner, I didn't feel like I could do this as well on my older 29s.

    I seem to have more fun on this bike, not sure if its a mental thing where I think 27.5 is more playful, so I ride it in a more playful manner.

    I haven't regretted getting a 27.5, but I doubt I would regret getting the 29 Django instead. I don't think there is that much noticeable difference between the 2 tire sizes. Each size might be a little better in a tiny section of the over all trail.


  7. #7
    Rider/Builder/Hacker
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    418
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon Fat View Post
    I really like the bike. The more I ride it, the better it gets. But I would think its more do to the design of the bike than the tire size. I have noticed in a couple sections, 29 might roll better or a large root or rock, but if I hit that section with more speed then its not an issue. It corners well, I can change lines mid corner, sweep around the outside or square off the corner, I didn't feel like I could do this as well on my older 29s.

    I seem to have more fun on this bike, not sure if its a mental thing where I think 27.5 is more playful, so I ride it in a more playful manner.

    I haven't regretted getting a 27.5, but I doubt I would regret getting the 29 Django instead. I don't think there is that much noticeable difference between the 2 tire sizes. Each size might be a little better in a tiny section of the over all trail.
    Thanks Bacon Fat!
    My Django 29 is a medium alloy frame up build, and works fine for me at 5'9", but I've got other bikes that are longer/slacker as well.

    Yes, that's a coil along with ~135mm of travel. I've also run it with 3" Purgatory front and rear in monster truck mode.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bacon Fat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    433
    Sweet looking bike.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    273
    Quote Originally Posted by carbine_275 View Post
    Thanks Bacon Fat!
    My Django 29 is a medium alloy frame up build, and works fine for me at 5'9", but I've got other bikes that are longer/slacker as well.

    Yes, that's a coil along with ~135mm of travel. I've also run it with 3" Purgatory front and rear in monster truck mode.
    I was kicking around the idea of a Django but decided I wanted something a little slacker or with more travel. How did you get 135mm travel out of it, and would it be possible with an air shock? If I could run a 29 Django in large with 135 out back, 140mm in front and an angleset it might work well for me.
    Patrick

  10. #10
    Rider/Builder/Hacker
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    418
    Quote Originally Posted by pjames12 View Post
    I was kicking around the idea of a Django but decided I wanted something a little slacker or with more travel. How did you get 135mm travel out of it, and would it be possible with an air shock? If I could run a 29 Django in large with 135 out back, 140mm in front and an angleset it might work well for me.
    Offset lower bushing and a 190x50 shock of your choice will get you there. According to the math, the resulting travel is ~136mm (120*50/44). Be aware that something like a Fox DPX2 won't fit the alloy frame - the piggyback will hit the frame near the lower cable mount about 2/3 through the travel.

  11. #11
    Rocks belong
    Reputation: 06HokieMTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    5,121
    Quote Originally Posted by carbine_275 View Post
    Offset lower bushing and a 190x50 shock of your choice will get you there. According to the math, the resulting travel is ~136mm (120*50/44). Be aware that something like a Fox DPX2 won't fit the alloy frame - the piggyback will hit the frame near the lower cable mount about 2/3 through the travel.
    I'm not sure that math works out. While the "stroke" increased by 5mm, the total length of the shock also increases by 3mm (with the -2mm offset bushing).

    Stock length shock: 184mm with 44mm stroke
    Your shock: 190mm with 50mm stroke... -2mm offset bushing brings the shock length down to 188.

    Typically long shocking a bike is when the e2e (shock length) remains the same and you get additional stroke for the same length shock.

    ie: Using a 200x57 shock on a frame designed around a 200x51 shock

    200-57 = 143
    200-51 = 149

    At full compression, the shock is 7mm shorter, which allows for the extra travel.

    On your Django, at full compression, your shock is only 2mm shorter... meaning 125.5mm of travel
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

  12. #12
    Rider/Builder/Hacker
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    418
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    I'm not sure that math works out. While the "stroke" increased by 5mm, the total length of the shock also increases by 3mm (with the -2mm offset bushing).

    Stock length shock: 184mm with 44mm stroke
    Your shock: 190mm with 50mm stroke... -2mm offset bushing brings the shock length down to 188.

    Typically long shocking a bike is when the e2e (shock length) remains the same and you get additional stroke for the same length shock.

    ie: Using a 200x57 shock on a frame designed around a 200x51 shock

    200-57 = 143
    200-51 = 149

    At full compression, the shock is 7mm shorter, which allows for the extra travel.

    On your Django, at full compression, your shock is only 2mm shorter... meaning 125.5mm of travel
    It sounds like you're making an assumption that the frame can't fully compress the longer shock, which might be true in certain scenarios.
    Without the spring installed the shock body was able to contact the bottom out bumper. This was done to ensure adequate clearances when running the intended tire and wheel combination.

  13. #13
    Rocks belong
    Reputation: 06HokieMTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    5,121
    Not sure I follow.

    A 190 shock, with 50mm stroke, can only be compressed to a length of 140mm (190-50mm).

    A 184 shock, with 44mm stroke, can only be compressed to a length of 140mm

    If the compressed length is the same, you're not gaining any additional travel.

    Example: 200x57 has a 6mm shorter compressed length than 200x51... or 210x55 is 5mm shorter compressed length than 210x50. ERGO: smaller compressed length, more wheel travel as the rear suspension moves more.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    Not sure I follow.

    A 190 shock, with 50mm stroke, can only be compressed to a length of 140mm (190-50mm).

    A 184 shock, with 44mm stroke, can only be compressed to a length of 140mm

    If the compressed length is the same, you're not gaining any additional travel.

    Example: 200x57 has a 6mm shorter compressed length than 200x51... or 210x55 is 5mm shorter compressed length than 210x50. ERGO: smaller compressed length, more wheel travel as the rear suspension moves more.
    When you over-shock a frame, you can add travel to the beginning of the wheel path, or to the end of it. The former will raise BB height, steepen head tube angle, and swingarm may hit the BB shell.

    The latter will not change your static BB height, but will lower the seated BB height for the same % of sag due to travel change. The end of stoke is limited by rear wheel hitting seat tube, or swingarm hitting something.

    If you check the other Django 29er thread, people are using 190/50mm shock with 2mm offset bushing. Effectively, adding travel to both the beginning and end of the wheel path.

  15. #15
    Rider/Builder/Hacker
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    418
    Quote Originally Posted by upsha View Post
    When you over-shock a frame, you can add travel to the beginning of the wheel path, or to the end of it. The former will raise BB height, steepen head tube angle, and swingarm may hit the BB shell.

    If you check the other Django 29er thread, people are using 190/50mm shock with 2mm offset bushing. Effectively, adding travel to both the beginning and end of the wheel path.
    Thanks for confirming my original comments on this topic. It might not exactly work out to 135mm due to the variable leverage ratio, but it works really well.



    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Similar Threads

  1. 2017 Devinci Django 29er
    By Velorangutan in forum Devinci
    Replies: 284
    Last Post: 08-06-2019, 01:28 PM
  2. Who's on a Django 27.5?
    By zootsuitbass in forum Devinci
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-05-2017, 11:25 AM
  3. Devinci Django 29
    By Velorangutan in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-18-2017, 10:23 PM
  4. Devinci django?
    By spoker247 in forum Devinci
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-10-2016, 01:19 PM
  5. Replies: 36
    Last Post: 03-02-2014, 06:32 PM

Members who have read this thread: 3

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.