Django 2019 Vs. Ibis Ripley 2019?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Django 2019 Vs. Ibis Ripley 2019?

Hi all,

I'm curious how the 2019 Django compares to the newly released 2019 Ibis Ripley.

I understand they are similar bikes and even have a D-W link pedal platform in common!

I been riding a V1 Ripley for about 4 years now and am looking into my next bike. I've demo'd an earlier Django, although I liked it, it didn't seem to have the climbing prowess of the Ripley.

Fast forward to the current Django, I was reading the specs the other day and noticed it's very similar to the Ripley and an added bonus is that it's a bit cheaper. I also like how it comes with a 140 fork.

Now, I'm sold on the new Ripley - I know what I'm getting. And the company is local - I live in NorCal. They offer good support too.

However, Devinci offers a lifetime warranty on the frame which is nice.

Anyway, I'd be interested in getting some input on this especially if any of you had a chance to demo both bikes recently.

Thanks people!

EXORCIZE
    Haven't ridden a Django or new Ripley but Ripley's slacker, longer reach (esp. compared to ST length), lighter, and a true DW link. Django is cheaper, adjustable geo, and lifetime warranty. Wish I could ride both tomorrow and compare!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The Ripley has a true DW link. The Django has a Split Pivot suspension which was designed by Dave Weagle but it's not the same. The original Ripley was the best climbing bike I've ever owned. I also owned and loved the original Devinci Atlas which is the predecessor to the Django. I demo'd the Django when it first came out and had the same thoughts about it's climbing prowess. It didn't seem as efficient. It seemed pretty capable for rocky, rooty, technical climbing, though.

The Devinci website is only showing the aluminum Django so maybe they weren't selling enough of the carbon version and decided to reduce their product line a bit. Something to consider. I

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Subscribed

EXORCIZE
    Quote Originally Posted by 12snap View Post
    The Ripley has a true DW link. The Django has a Split Pivot suspension which was designed by Dave Weagle but it's not the same. The original Ripley was the best climbing bike I've ever owned. I also owned and loved the original Devinci Atlas which is the predecessor to the Django. I demo'd the Django when it first came out and had the same thoughts about it's climbing prowess. It didn't seem as efficient. It seemed pretty capable for rocky, rooty, technical climbing, though.

The Devinci website is only showing the aluminum Django so maybe they weren't selling enough of the carbon version and decided to reduce their product line a bit. Something to consider. I
    Am nearly certain Django carbon 29 was on their website 1-2 weeks ago. It's being sold at retailers online with a nice dropper thrown in for free, so maybe a new one is on the way soon? Hasn't been updated since it came out, right?

Downcountry AF
    sub'd
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    This is a good matchup! Seems like Devinci was early to the steep seat angle bandwagon and no one really noticed. Ibis came out with the Ripmo and now it's all about the steep seat tube!

My current experience between both brands is that they both ride great. Devinci has a slight advantage on the fit/finish of the frames and design.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I'm currently cross shopping these the new Ripley and would consider a new Django if they release it. Maybe considering the trance advanced as well. I live in the PNW and am condensing down to a single bike quiver and am trying to determine if either of these would be enough bike to keep up with the odd days I ride steeper, gnarlier trails. Granted nothing crazy, but some of the repetitive hits may overwhelm the read end. I've ridden the Troy LTD, Ripmo, and Ripley LS v3, but can't seem to find demos out here for the new Ripley. I Love the way the Troy rode, but the fit wasn't as good for me in comparison to the Ripmo. The front end felt too tall even after a few adjustments. The ripmo's short seat tube was great as I had no issues fitting a 150mm dropper. In the end I liked the big bikes, but I love the snappy feel of the smaller bikes. Well, I'm done rambling on my decision indecision haha.