Django 2019 Vs. Ibis Ripley 2019?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Django 2019 Vs. Ibis Ripley 2019?

Hi all,

I'm curious how the 2019 Django compares to the newly released 2019 Ibis Ripley.

I understand they are similar bikes and even have a D-W link pedal platform in common!

I been riding a V1 Ripley for about 4 years now and am looking into my next bike. I've demo'd an earlier Django, although I liked it, it didn't seem to have the climbing prowess of the Ripley.

Fast forward to the current Django, I was reading the specs the other day and noticed it's very similar to the Ripley and an added bonus is that it's a bit cheaper. I also like how it comes with a 140 fork.

Now, I'm sold on the new Ripley - I know what I'm getting. And the company is local - I live in NorCal. They offer good support too.

However, Devinci offers a lifetime warranty on the frame which is nice.

Anyway, I'd be interested in getting some input on this especially if any of you had a chance to demo both bikes recently.

Thanks people!

EXORCIZE
    Haven't ridden a Django or new Ripley but Ripley's slacker, longer reach (esp. compared to ST length), lighter, and a true DW link. Django is cheaper, adjustable geo, and lifetime warranty. Wish I could ride both tomorrow and compare!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The Ripley has a true DW link. The Django has a Split Pivot suspension which was designed by Dave Weagle but it's not the same. The original Ripley was the best climbing bike I've ever owned. I also owned and loved the original Devinci Atlas which is the predecessor to the Django. I demo'd the Django when it first came out and had the same thoughts about it's climbing prowess. It didn't seem as efficient. It seemed pretty capable for rocky, rooty, technical climbing, though.

The Devinci website is only showing the aluminum Django so maybe they weren't selling enough of the carbon version and decided to reduce their product line a bit. Something to consider. I

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Subscribed

EXORCIZE
    Quote Originally Posted by 12snap View Post
    The Ripley has a true DW link. The Django has a Split Pivot suspension which was designed by Dave Weagle but it's not the same. The original Ripley was the best climbing bike I've ever owned. I also owned and loved the original Devinci Atlas which is the predecessor to the Django. I demo'd the Django when it first came out and had the same thoughts about it's climbing prowess. It didn't seem as efficient. It seemed pretty capable for rocky, rooty, technical climbing, though.

The Devinci website is only showing the aluminum Django so maybe they weren't selling enough of the carbon version and decided to reduce their product line a bit. Something to consider. I
    Am nearly certain Django carbon 29 was on their website 1-2 weeks ago. It's being sold at retailers online with a nice dropper thrown in for free, so maybe a new one is on the way soon? Hasn't been updated since it came out, right?

Downcountry AF
    sub'd
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    This is a good matchup! Seems like Devinci was early to the steep seat angle bandwagon and no one really noticed. Ibis came out with the Ripmo and now it's all about the steep seat tube!

My current experience between both brands is that they both ride great. Devinci has a slight advantage on the fit/finish of the frames and design.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I'm currently cross shopping these the new Ripley and would consider a new Django if they release it. Maybe considering the trance advanced as well. I live in the PNW and am condensing down to a single bike quiver and am trying to determine if either of these would be enough bike to keep up with the odd days I ride steeper, gnarlier trails. Granted nothing crazy, but some of the repetitive hits may overwhelm the read end. I've ridden the Troy LTD, Ripmo, and Ripley LS v3, but can't seem to find demos out here for the new Ripley. I Love the way the Troy rode, but the fit wasn't as good for me in comparison to the Ripmo. The front end felt too tall even after a few adjustments. The ripmo's short seat tube was great as I had no issues fitting a 150mm dropper. In the end I liked the big bikes, but I love the snappy feel of the smaller bikes. Well, I'm done rambling on my decision indecision haha.

EXORCIZE
    Quote Originally Posted by HotDishman View Post
    I liked the big bikes, but I love the snappy feel of the smaller bikes.
    Deep down you know the answer: N+1.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I own a Django 29 and I also felt the Ripley LS G3 was more efficient than the Devinci and DW Link has rightly earned its praise but it's also a much lighter bike. However, the Django with it's Split Pivot is no slouch when pedaling. I don't have any real issues getting it up and over obstacles and I don't feel like I lose a lot of power due to bobbing when I get on the gas, even when standing. It's WAY better than a horst link bike and Trek's rip-off implementation of Split Pivot.

When the trail goes the other way, the Django ups the bets and takes the hand...IMHO. Itís kind of a bomber and wants to rip and pushes you to ride faster. BUT...you don't have to have it pegged for it to feel alive. I love that it is comfortable in a variety of terrain and riding styles while maintaining efficiency. As far as geometry, the STA is great for getting you over the cranks and the HTA on the Django feels much slacker than it's measured 68 degrees. I run mine in LO setting and have no complaints. I also have the FRG -1 degree cup, but I've never felt the need to install it. It's a really great and fun bike and itís a much more solid-feeling bike than the Ripley LS. To me, the Ripley LS always felt twitchy and nervous once you picked up speed. With the Django, it feels planted while still maintaining it's signature pop. It scares me sometimes how comfortable it feels as it picks up speed. It definitely will push you to the edge of what you are comfortable with. In short...just an awesome bike. I love mine and plan on keeping it for a while. It's super versatile and gives you a lot of options for whatever you are after. Iíve seen weight weenies make them as light as possible and others throw a 36 and X2 on it and make it much more DH than it's original intention. I hope Devinci doesn't go all Super Boost Plus on the next Django. That kept me away from the latest Troy and Pivot's excellent Switchblade and Trail 429.

I, too, would like to throw a leg over the new Ripley. Looks like they made some very solid updates and addressed a lot of the issues that pushed me into Devinci's arms when I was very close to buying an LS. I just finished a Ripmo build so Iím really not interested in replacing the Django any time soon, but from the looks of it and what I've read and seen and IF Ibis has succeeded into infusing some of the Ripmo DNA into the Ripley, it's going to be a pretty special bike. If you do get a Django or a new Ripley, I donít think youíll be disappointed with either. You are looking at benchmark bikes.

When it comes to value for your dollar, the Django wins here. It's been on the market longer and there are some good deals to be had, new and used. I bought a new previous year model and saved about $1500 and I could have saved some more if I bought used. I highly recommend you check out Pink Bike.

Best of luck!
    Last edited by danoiz; 06-13-2019 at 09:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I have a Django 29er carbon with 130 fork. Built up to about 26 pounds.
    Few weeks ago built up a Ripley V4 with 130 fork. About 25 pounds.

Ran the django in high mode and with -1 Works Component headset. That was the best setup for pedaling and stability. Low mode put too much leverage on the shock and the climbing suffered. Felt the STA in low was too slack even though it's claimed 74.5. Did every combo in the 2 years owned.

Ripley cable routing is simple. Django internal routing was one of the worst I've ever built up

Ripley customer service was answered same day. Django customer service took weeks if they even replied.

I paid $2160 for my django frame brand new 2 years ago.
    I paid just a little more for my new V4 Ripley with Factory rear shock. Got a great deal.

Ripley climbs better than my django in every imaginable possibility. I have over 200 Strava KOM climbing segments and have won a state championship for hillclimbing. While neither bike is a pure weight weenie XC climber, my Ripley is so close to my hardtail and old Turner Czar. The django is a good climber, but I felt the anti squat and other kinematics was stuck firmly in "trail bike" mode. The Ripley climbs like a XC race bike most of the time.

Descending it's pretty close to both. I feel the django is great on braking bumps. It's awesome on the descents depending on personal setup. The Ripley handles chop and square edge at speed much better. No matter if 25% or 30% sag, the Ripley is better on the teeth rattling fast stuff.

Lifetime warranty vs 7 year. Doesn't matter to me.

Django resale is pathetic. Ripley resale will always be strong.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    For a one bike quivery, I would recommend the Ripmo. It's the bike I would keep if I had to get rid of everything else.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Great info! Sounds like the new Ripley is a winner. I will definitely take one out for a ride. Any creaking with the Works Component angleset? I've heard bad things about another brand. Just to be clear, the angle-set allowed you to slacken the HTA to 67.5 while keeping the STA at the HI setting of 75 degrees, correct? Might do this to mine to keep the Ripley bugs at bay for another year or so.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by danoiz View Post
    Great info! Sounds like the new Ripley is a winner. I will definitely take one out for a ride. Any creaking with the Works Component angleset? I've heard bad things about another brand. Just to be clear, the angle-set allowed you to slacken the HTA to 67.5 while keeping the STA at the HI setting of 75 degrees, correct? Might do this to mine to keep the Ripley bugs at bay for another year or so.
    The WC is the best headset available. Quiet! Yes, 67.5 and 75 claimed in high.

Dream it, Do it.
    Based on climbing efficiency, my guess would be that the dw-link Ripley would climb better. I recently rode the Devinci Troy 29 and found that it climbed well until the trail got rougher. Rocks, roots and other obstacles really seemed to sap forward momentum on the Troy 29 and I would guess that the Django would not be too dissimilar.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

Downcountry AF
    I got to ride the Ripley last night, super fun bike. Granted it was decked out with a $9,400 build kit, but it performed every bit as good as I expected to. The suspension was super plush yet supportive, geo felt pretty spot on (reach felt a little short in XL), it climbed like billy goat and had great traction, jumped well, really didn't do anything poorly.

I rode it with XTR 12 speed group which was pretty sweet. The BikeYoke dropper was a standout component, best dropper I've used hands down.

If I was in the market for a new short travel trail bike that I could also race the Ripley would be very high on my list. Really a pretty incredible bike.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

EXORCIZE
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    I got to ride the Ripley last night, super fun bike. [...]
    If I was in the market [...]
    During your recent "steel FS" thread, I silently speculated whether the Ripley might test your loyalty to steel.

So your Hei Hei is a keeper?

Downcountry AF
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryder1 View Post
    During your recent "steel FS" thread, I silently speculated whether the Ripley might test your loyalty to steel.

So your Hei Hei is a keeper?
    My interest in the steel FS bike is still there, I'd love to ride one. I wanted to ride the Ripley just to compare it to the Hei Hei. I figured it was going to be good, and it was, but not different enough that I would consider selling my bike.

The biggest difference was the suspension platform and the steeper STA. Otherwise the two bikes are fairly similar. The Hei Hei is my endurance race bike.

I still prefer my steel hardtails but they're both currently broken (I'm in the process of building a new one, Kona Honzo ST).

My next FS trail bike will be something a little burlier that prioritizes going down, but not so much travel that I wouldn't want to ride it locally. Transition Smuggler and Knolly Fugitive are currently at the top of my list. I briefly considered the Django but the geo is different than what I'm looking for.

I want an aluminum frame, and preferably frame only. The Smuggler is sold out in XL with no more on the way, otherwise I'd probably already have one.

The upcoming 2020 Kona Process 134 29er also has my attention but won't know details for another 6-8 weeks.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

EXORCIZE
    I still prefer my steel hardtails but they're both currently broken
    You broke the suspended Krampus?

I briefly considered the Django but the geo is different than what I'm looking for.
    I think a XL Django w/140mm fork would have worked nicely for me. Was my runner up choice to a Following MB which I received/rode today. Fantastic bike. What a mountain bike should be. I already prefer it in every way to the 429T (even climbing). There's no FMB XXL (20" long) which is weird b/c Evil would sell many. But the XL fits me great with 800/50 bar/stem, saddle slammed forward.

Downcountry AF
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryder1 View Post
    You broke the suspended Krampus?
    Spokes pulled through the rear rim. I have a replacement already but I need to take it to the powder coater because I just HAD to make the wheels pretty. What a pain. (new rim is much stronger and eyeleted)
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I talked my brother into buying a new 2018 Django 27.5 Carbon from Evo, it was steeply discounted (3k for a 6k build), arrived ready to assemble, thirty minutes and he was rolling. He had some surgery so it's been sitting, but I took it for a couple spins:

Very lightweight, stiff frame, efficient climber, took hits well, better climber and more agile than my Signal Peak. No real downsides that I could find, though the fork is not plus so I don't think a tire larger than 2.5 would fit; the rear triangle looks big enough for 2.6, 2.8.

Compared to a Hendrix, it feels lighter, quicker, and stiffer.
    Compared to an Atlas, it feels similar, better trail geo so more agile and stable at speed, just as good or better for climbing efficiency.

I have not ridden the new Ripley, though the reviews are glowing (aren't they always?).

Which is better? Well, it just depends on what you want and how you ride.

The Django on sale is a good buy, but at full price I'd pass.
    Lrg GG Shred Dogg
    Lrg Fezzari Signal Peak
    Lrg Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    Based on climbing efficiency, my guess would be that the dw-link Ripley would climb better. I recently rode the Devinci Troy 29 and found that it climbed well until the trail got rougher. Rocks, roots and other obstacles really seemed to sap forward momentum on the Troy 29 and I would guess that the Django would not be too dissimilar.
    Those two bikes couldn't be more different, the Troy is an enduro bike, the Django is a all mountain/XC bike. The 27.5 Troy climbs like crap, always did, never could find the love for that bike. The Django climbs more like an Atlas.
    Lrg GG Shred Dogg
    Lrg Fezzari Signal Peak
    Lrg Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    After many more miles on my V4 Ripley, I think my django carbon 29er with a -1.5 Works Component headset would give up nothing to the V4 or any bike on descents that did not have a lot of braking or chatter bumps. I have/had a -1 headset, and it made a big difference. The Ripley has a big advantage on high speed chatter.

But as for climbing, there is nowhere my django stands a chance against the Ripley. I made a thread months ago asking if the Split Pivot was the reason I could not clear this specific section on my local trails. Steep, powerful torque, loose, rocky. The django never did it no matter how I set the bike up or if I had a good day in terms of fitness.

The Ripley obliterates the same section. I'm a top tier climber, and friends were surprised I had to get off on the django each time whether in low or high mode, 25 or 30 sag, gearing changes, etc. On the Ripley someone said "I think you caught air at the top", jokingly, because I was accelerating instead of grinding to a halt.

MSRP for a django is ridiculously high for what you get in terms of weight and performance. As stated, on sale it could be a great option for the right rider.