Devinci Spartan or Dixon?- Mtbr.com
    dmo
    mtbr member

Devinci Spartan or Dixon?

I'm looking for a new 27.5 trail bike and was thinking of the new Spartan Carbon. Would the Dixon be better suited as a trail bike? They seem very similar. I have a SB95c as my 29er and want to get something different that still can climb ok and descend well.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Well, if you want 27.5 then you have to get the Spartan. The Dixon is 26".

dmo
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by goobernaculum View Post
    Well, if you want 27.5 then you have to get the Spartan. The Dixon is 26".
    Sorry. I must have meant the Troy

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dmo View Post
    Sorry. I must have meant the Troy
    ah, makes sense! Provide us with some info about where you ride and the type of riding you want to do. I'm sure with a bit more info someone with better knowledge than me will be able to steer you in the right direction.

dmo
    mtbr member
    ah, makes sense! Provide us with some info about where you ride and the type of riding you want to do. I'm sure with a bit more info someone with better knowledge than me will be able to steer you in the right direction.
    I ride in New England (MA actually) so typical trails are rocky and rooty, short ups and downs, muddy sometimes in Spring and Fall. I have a rigid bike I ride on XC type trails - pretty smooth stuff. As I said I also have a 29er (SB95) for general trail riding.

I've been looking at the Devinci (or even a Bronson or Nomad) for riding more rocky trails. Im hoping to improve my skills and be able to carry more speed in rocky areas especially downhill sections whenever I cross them. I'd also like to feel more comfortable with small drops, 2-4ft.

I'm also relatively small (5'6") and want a bike that I feel comfortable in and that does not feel like I'm fighting an oversized bike.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    i'd say if you're after a trail bike get the troy, have had one for a few weeks now and i'm pretty blown away by how capable it is and also how plush it feels. I thought about the spartan too but its more bike than I want to have to pedal up.
    Record your bike setup on your iPhone http://www.bike-setup.com

mtbr member
    If the SB95 isn't enough bike for the rocky terrain you're riding and you want to ramp up your steep DH and drops capability then step up to the Spartan..... especially if you're thinking of keeping the yeti.

If this bike is to replace the yeti....then maybe consider the Troy for more all around trail bike with some All Moutain capability. Very capable bike but I'm not sure it will provide a ton of improvement over the SB95 for most of what you describe. In fact the SB 95 sounds about perfect for the rocky terrain you ride. The Troy might be a little better if the trails are tight, but otherwise, I'd think you're pretty well set.

Go Spartan.
    Last edited by KRob; 09-16-2014 at 03:29 PM.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

dmo
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    If the SB95 isn't enough bike for the rocky terrain you're riding and you want to ramp up your steep DH and drops capability then step up to the Spartan..... especially if you're thinking of keeping the yeti.

Thanks for the advice. I have no plans to replace the Yeti. I guess I'll get the Spartan then. Two questions:

Small or medium for me if I'm 5'6"?

Should I run a Fox 36 160 or 170mm fork?

mtbr member
    May 2014

Small or medium for me if I'm 5'6"?
    According to DeVinci you should be on a small (152 CM-171 CM) do you have the opportunity to try one first?

dmo
    mtbr member
    According to DeVinci you should be on a small (152 CM - 171 CM
    ) do you have the opportunity to try one first?
    I know my LBS sells them. Ill have to see if they have any to try

dontcha?
    Should I run a Fox 36 160 or 170mm fork?
    I would stick to 160mm, seemes like that's what they recommend.
    "The future belongs to those that believe in the beauty of their dreams."

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I'd try the medium. I'm 5'11" and have a large spartan. Try to get the shop to switch out to a lighter set of tires if you get the spartan.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I also recommend the Medium frame if your 5' 6". Their frames do run small. I'm 5' 10", and went with the medium Spartan XP, and it fits pretty much perfectly.

As for the fork, all of their build kits (I think) default to a 160mm Pike (which is a phenomenal fork btw).

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    What I found for MA - trail bikes with 4-6" of travel do better on our trails vs Enduro bikes. We do not have mountains per say and no huge fast descends. Most of the riding is slow-speed tech.
    Every time I try Pivot Mach6, Nomad, Spech Enduro - they seem really sluggish. Where they shine is high speed descends that we have to go to Highland bike park to find.
    Therefore I would say - carbon Troy all the way. Mojo HDR and Pivot 5.7 are other good options. I see those bikes all over the place including burly places like Lynn Woods, Harold Parker and NTF.
    Also Brian at JRA carries Devincy bikes and has a couple of demos, that you can take to Fells park right next door to try with plenty of tech climbing and descends.

dmo
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilyam3 View Post
    Also Brian at JRA carries Devincy bikes and has a couple of demos, that you can take to Fells park right next door to try with plenty of tech climbing and descends.
    I actually talked to Brian and he's arranging for me demo the Devici rep's Spartan. I'll ask about the Troy while I'm at it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I've got a Dixon and its a sweet bike. Never rode a Troy, but if you're looking to save some money there seems to be plenty of good deals on used Dixon's.

Al