Devinci quality and brand experience inquiry- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 32 of 32
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    115

    Devinci quality and brand experience inquiry

    Hi,

    Newbie poster here that is considering a carbon Devinci Django 29er as my new bike and wanted to check in and ask about impressions and experience regarding the quality and build of Devinci mountain bikes. Currently riding a 2013 Cannondale Scalpel 29er but want to step up to a better bike. Mainly ride Trail and All mountain and not looking to race or hit big downhills (at 51 i am too old and slow to heal for that! lol). Bikes I am considering are the Devinci Django, Pivot 429Trail, and Santa Cruz Hightower/Tallboy. Really want to demo a Devinci but not many dealers in my area. Any thoughts, experiences, impressions very much appreciated with regards to the bikes i am looking at. Might post over in the 29er forum as well.

    Thanks much for reading and Tight spokes!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DannyRob1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    13
    I absolutely love my Troy. 5'11'' riding a L, Geo and wheel size is different than the 29 Django obviously, and with slightly different disciplines.
    Price point and quality are hard to compare with.
    Up here we ride flowy low elevation, big steep, nasty chop and chunder, and starting on regular trips to the bike parks and its all there. It is the perfect all around, I wouldnt expect Django to be any less of a bike.
    Test ride before purchase though as always, but Ive not been happier with a bike.

  3. #3
    beater
    Reputation: evasive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,634
    Devinci makes quality bikes. I don't own one of their mountain bikes (I do have a Hatchet gravel bike), but I've enjoyed the ones I've demoed. I have a bunch of friends with Troys and Spartans, and they're all pleased with them. As our Devinci dealer was for a while only selling frames and not completes, all of those are custom builds for experienced and discriminating riders.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    115
    Thanks for the info! I ride in the North Georgia mountains mainly, including the Tanasi trails in Tennessee. you are right, i really do need to find a demo!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pulpwoody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    429
    Quote Originally Posted by gratefulron View Post
    Hi,

    Newbie poster here that is considering a carbon Devinci Django 29er as my new bike and wanted to check in and ask about impressions and experience regarding the quality and build of Devinci mountain bikes. Currently riding a 2013 Cannondale Scalpel 29er but want to step up to a better bike. Mainly ride Trail and All mountain and not looking to race or hit big downhills (at 51 i am too old and slow to heal for that! lol). Bikes I am considering are the Devinci Django, Pivot 429Trail, and Santa Cruz Hightower/Tallboy. Really want to demo a Devinci but not many dealers in my area. Any thoughts, experiences, impressions very much appreciated with regards to the bikes i am looking at. Might post over in the 29er forum as well.

    Thanks much for reading and Tight spokes!
    I've owned a Devinci since 2014 when the Troys first came out....I'm on Troy number two now!!

    I might do different riding than you, but regardless, my experience with the bike has been outstanding, but the thing that really stands out is Devinci's customer service. I've had some technical questions about the frame and contacted them directly, and every time, Manuel has gotten back to me quickly and with a great solution, once while he was on vacation!!!! If feels like your dealing with a mom and pop company with service like that. I can't speak to Santa Cruz or Pivot's customer service, certainly not dissing them, just don't know. I have several examples of small things they've done to support their customers, but luckily, I've never needed a frame replacement or had anything major happen, because the bikes are manufactured well.

    The other thing to consider is the lifetime warranty on the frames. There aren't many companies that do that anymore, and it says a lot about the confidence they have in their products. If you're a guy that buys a bike every two years, then it's no big deal, but if you're a "keeper" then this should seal the deal. I could have gone with another company instead of buying my second Troy, but between their very personal customer service and the warranty, it makes the decision much easier.

    However, it really does come down to which bike fits you best, but what I mentioned are some things to consider.

    Happy hunting.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    115
    Thanks everyone for the kind info. Really appreciate it!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dogboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,566
    Quote Originally Posted by gratefulron View Post
    Thanks for the info! I ride in the North Georgia mountains mainly, including the Tanasi trails in Tennessee. you are right, i really do need to find a demo!
    There is an event in Charlotte, NC the weekend of October 22nd/23rd and Devinci will have demo bikes there, so maybe worth the trip. As for your initial question, I've owned a handful of Devinci bikes and they are a great company making great products. I've dealt with most of the bike brands over the years and Devinci is one of the very best!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    115
    thank you! i am going to try to get up there for Interbike East.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Velorangutan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    340
    I've been a dealer for them for about 4 years. The bikes have been very high quality and I've had minimal issues with failures. The company is great to work with and any issue I have had, they've taken care of immediately and professionally.

    It's nice that they are not a big box company and are very personal and easy to work with.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    115
    Thanks everyone for the comments. I will be looking to demo a Divinci.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fuzzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    544
    Quote Originally Posted by gratefulron View Post
    Thanks everyone for the comments. I will be looking to demo a Divinci.
    I'm looking forward to hearing about your experience.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    115
    Spoke to a LBS and he tells me that Divinci will not be at the Interbike East next month. kinda bummed about the news and he says he will try to get a L for a demo (says XL, which is likely my size, would be too hard to sell so if he gets one it will be a L). Still very interested in the Django but if i can't swing a leg over one then it makes it hard to justify spending that kind of $ on something i have not trail tested.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    253
    trail testing ... oh I dream of being able to do that. around here, it is nigh impossible despite there being multiple Devinci dealers (multiple spec, multiple trek etc) in our city. The MFR do have trail days at the local mtn bike trailhead .. maybe once a year per mfr. So when I am in the market for a bike in August, I have to wait till April next year and even then they probably not my model/size/components level etc.

    come to think of it, I have never had the opportunity to test any of the mtn bikes I bought - several I ordered have never seen one in person (going back 26 years when I bought the first Klein Attitude in my region, and heck my fillet brazed Ritchey Commando I ordered in ~'88)! and heck, my family used to own the bike shop.

    (I know some major bike destinations offer a wide range of mtn bikes to rent/test though. And Whistler not too far for me.)

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    715
    Quote Originally Posted by gratefulron View Post
    Spoke to a LBS and he tells me that Divinci will not be at the Interbike East next month. kinda bummed about the news and he says he will try to get a L for a demo (says XL, which is likely my size, would be too hard to sell so if he gets one it will be a L). Still very interested in the Django but if i can't swing a leg over one then it makes it hard to justify spending that kind of $ on something i have not trail tested.
    Do a search for dealers and plan yourself a trip to demo one. You'll get a bonus vacation out of your purchasing process. See where there are dealers, figure out where you would like to go and can get readily enough, and make some phone calls.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    115
    thanks, that is not a bad idea at all! now if i could add a show/music concert to the mix then that would really work!

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ride the biscuit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    943
    Rode the Dexter 26 XC race frame as an aggressive trail build for over 3 years, and it was amazing. Handling was a dream and you wouldn't believe what such a crazy light alu frame could cope with.

    I never had to worry; it never once let me down on the trail. When I did manage to develop a hairline fracture (after 2.5 yrs of abuse) or rattle pivot hardware out due to negligence, they were always Johnny-on-the-spot with replacements. Even had the right color on a 4 year old model swingarm.

    I've been in the sport a while through a bunch of awesome bikes, and Devinci stands out. I appreciate their approach- dialed engineering, reliable gear, lifetime warranty, no proprietary crap, legit aesthetic. Building and wrenching on that Dexter there were never any of the usual hiccups you run into. Devinci is a no brainer, especially in the trail segment.

    There was no way I was ever gonna give up that frame until the Django 29er came along. Been on it a couple weeks now.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fuzzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    544
    I'm really stoked to read all these posts. My good buddy back in CA rides one and swears by the brand and he is someone I trust.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    115
    i really like what i hear about Divinci in this thread but i have still not been able to ride the Django. I have pretty much decided that if i can't trail test the Django then i will go with the Pivot 429 Trail. A LBS is trying to get a demo but he says they want him to buy it.......

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    715
    See if you can find a cheap SW flight, and come-up to see the foliage. My favorite MTB shop anywhere, which is no longer local to me, has a nice demo fleet: Demo Fleet ? JRA Cycles

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    115
    Thanks phride!

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    20
    I have the Devinci Hendrix and live in Marietta, GA. Check out Twisted Spokes (AKA MTBGarage) in Johns Creek. They carry Devinci and is where I got mine. I'm loving the bike, absolutely amazing.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    796
    I'm watching this thread as well... Considering my first carbon frame to be either a Devinci Django or Marshall. Coming from riding Yeti for nearly a decade and have loved the performance and feel of their bikes. I'm still not convinced on going carbon, cross-thread here; http://forums.mtbr.com/clydesdales-t...e-1030293.html but these Devincis look quite burly and capable! Velorangutan do you demo rentals?

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    254
    Quote Originally Posted by keithrad View Post
    I'm watching this thread as well... Considering my first carbon frame to be either a Devinci Django or Marshall. Coming from riding Yeti for nearly a decade and have loved the performance and feel of their bikes. I'm still not convinced on going carbon, cross-thread here; http://forums.mtbr.com/clydesdales-t...e-1030293.html but these Devincis look quite burly and capable! Velorangutan do you demo rentals?
    Hey keithrad, I actually just rode one of Wes's demos (a 2016 Troy) yesterday. He's got a few bikes built up and I think I saw a Django sitting in there. Call him up at the shop. He's a great guy to deal with but I think he only checks in on the forum occasionally.

    As far as Devinci quality, I've been on my older Troy Carbon since fall 2015 riding all over central Texas and now the Pacific Northwest. I rode the chunkier greenbelt stuff multiple times per week in Austin for almost a full year. These bikes are solid.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    796
    Thanks for the heads up cykelk, I'm south of DFW so a trip down will be a planned event. But it looks as if thats the way to go to check one out! As far as I can tell Velorangutan is the only Decinci dealer in Tx.



    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by gratefulron View Post
    Hi,

    Newbie poster here that is considering a carbon Devinci Django 29er as my new bike and wanted to check in and ask about impressions and experience regarding the quality and build of Devinci mountain bikes. Currently riding a 2013 Cannondale Scalpel 29er but want to step up to a better bike. Mainly ride Trail and All mountain and not looking to race or hit big downhills (at 51 i am too old and slow to heal for that! lol). Bikes I am considering are the Devinci Django, Pivot 429Trail, and Santa Cruz Hightower/Tallboy. Really want to demo a Devinci but not many dealers in my area. Any thoughts, experiences, impressions very much appreciated with regards to the bikes i am looking at. Might post over in the 29er forum as well.

    Thanks much for reading and Tight spokes!
    Let us know what you bought,

    I am looking at the same bike. I am coming off an evil insurgent which is too much bike for where I live. I have ridden the Following, Mach 4 Trail and Hightower.

    I am also considering a yeti 4.5 but from what I have been told they still have rear end cracking issues. And at 220 pounds and I ride hard, (two broken mondraker foxy rear ends in a year) I would rather not spend a mint on something I have to get warranted all the time. My friend has had 4 devinci's and raves about them, well more about weagle's skill as a designer.

    dave

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Velorangutan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    340
    I currently have the following Demos. They are free of charge to demo for a few days. I just require a credit card preauthorization.

    Django Carbon 29er Medium and Large
    Dango Carbon 27 Large
    Marshall Carbon 275+ Medium and Large
    Troy Carbon Medium and Large
    Spartan Carbon Large

    Quote Originally Posted by keithrad View Post
    I'm watching this thread as well... Considering my first carbon frame to be either a Devinci Django or Marshall. Coming from riding Yeti for nearly a decade and have loved the performance and feel of their bikes. I'm still not convinced on going carbon, cross-thread here; http://forums.mtbr.com/clydesdales-t...e-1030293.html but these Devincis look quite burly and capable! Velorangutan do you demo rentals?

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorangutan View Post
    I currently have the following Demos. They are free of charge to demo for a few days. I just require a credit card preauthorization.

    Django Carbon 29er Medium and Large
    Dango Carbon 27 Large
    Marshall Carbon 275+ Medium and Large
    Troy Carbon Medium and Large
    Spartan Carbon Large


    Is Devinci just selling a Marshall frame or are they just doing a django for the 29er?

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    796
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorangutan View Post
    I currently have the following Demos. They are free of charge to demo for a few days. I just require a credit card preauthorization.

    Django Carbon 29er Medium and Large
    Dango Carbon 27 Large
    Marshall Carbon 275+ Medium and Large
    Troy Carbon Medium and Large
    Spartan Carbon Large
    That's a sweet deal, not sure how that's profitable for you, but I'm not one to argue. I'll definitely want to check out that Django 29er. However, not being from Austin I'm hoping someone could point out a decent trail near the shop that would be a good test track. By looking at google maps I recognize Zilker Park is near. I have been there with the family when the kids were smaller , but did not ride. I understand the Greenbelt is accessible from there, but I would certainly not know my way around it. Would love to find something that wont kick my a$$ but will give me a good taste for the bike...Not too easy, yet not too hard...You know, a Goldilocks trail! Also, I will be driving from south of DFW, which is about a 2 hour +/- drive which is no biggie, just sayin...

  29. #29
    Nor­wegr
    Reputation: Vegard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,899
    I had a 2013 Atlas for a while and the frame was perfect in terms of build quality. I'd rate it higher than my Cannondale factory racing scalpel frame.

    If you can't ride before you buy it though, I'd stay clear. Things that look perfect on paper can have a way of not working out irl.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Velorangutan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    340
    Quote Originally Posted by keithrad View Post
    That's a sweet deal, not sure how that's profitable for you, but I'm not one to argue. I'll definitely want to check out that Django 29er. However, not being from Austin I'm hoping someone could point out a decent trail near the shop that would be a good test track. By looking at google maps I recognize Zilker Park is near. I have been there with the family when the kids were smaller , but did not ride. I understand the Greenbelt is accessible from there, but I would certainly not know my way around it. Would love to find something that wont kick my a$$ but will give me a good taste for the bike...Not too easy, yet not too hard...You know, a Goldilocks trail! Also, I will be driving from south of DFW, which is about a 2 hour +/- drive which is no biggie, just sayin...
    Once someone takes one for a demo they typically buy one from me. The Greenbelt is nearby. The good stuff is further to the west of Zilker, but you can ride some descent stuff from the park.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    796
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorangutan View Post
    Once someone takes one for a demo they typically buy one from me.
    Well that clears up the reasoning behind your demo policy pretty good! I'm looking forward to coming down within the next month or two and checking one out. And to hitting a bit of new to me trails...Will be in touch!

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    796
    Quote Originally Posted by depeche4 View Post
    Is Devinci just selling a Marshall frame or are they just doing a django for the 29er?
    Check out this page from Devinci's website.DEVINCI
    Should clear things up! Cheers...

Similar Threads

  1. Devinci quality and customer service?
    By OldHouseMan in forum Devinci
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-23-2015, 10:28 AM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-09-2014, 06:47 AM
  3. I have an inquiry.
    By KonaKiller in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-23-2013, 04:41 PM
  4. road inquiry
    By gsy971 in forum Hawaii
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-11-2012, 06:39 PM
  5. 530 inquiry,,
    By nickcarll in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-30-2011, 04:11 PM

Members who have read this thread: 3

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.