2020 Devinci Django Thread- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

2020 Devinci Django Thread

I have one ride on it so far and loved it!

Bloody Bastard
    Yep. Just got the Pinkbike preview in my newsfeed. Looks like a great update to the model. It was actually my first choice (2019) before deciding to go with the Troy.

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/first-ri...carbon-29.html

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Things I like and should have been implemented on the OG Django 29:

- The shock mount no longer collects water and dirt as there are holes for stuff to escape!
    - The bike comes with frame protection
    - It comes without the silly DT Swiss rear axle (or am I wrong on this?)
    - Some sizes actually have a decent length on the chainstay!

Things I don't like:

- Well, the first is obvious: rear spacing/superboost
    - The geometry is really close to Troy, so the difference on a medium is basically the amount of travel. Interesting. A bit like the Pivot Trail429 and Switchblade...
    - The new one is uglier IMO but this is subjective
    - Price is quite high for spec

Glad I have the original Django 29 with rear spacing that don't kill my knees (-> q-factor grows) and where travel, geometry and build-kit meets. The build on the new bike is kinda heavy-hitting compared to travel. BUT, I have never ridden this bike, only the previous version. It might be the best bike on the planet, who knows? But seeing this new bike does not make me want it as it follows the whole industry in making trailbikes overly aggressive for what they are. All people are not the same though and some will sacrifice all-day fun for a bit more speed on the roughest descents.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Disappointed in sizing. Top out on an XL is probably 6'2"...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    When I saw the news, I thought maybe I'd look into the new frame, but reading it is super-boost means I can't just swap stuff over without a rear wheel rebuild and crankset. I wish they'd have left the Troy as their super-boost bike and used this opportunity to clean up some of the little stuff on the Django. It looks like they nailed that stuff - the lower shock mount, improved pivot bearings, carbon chainstays and linkage, frame protection (threaded BB, but I have never really had a problem with PF).

Of course they were going to slack it out a bit to stay current with what everyone else is doing, and I'm glad to see they didn't get as crazy as Santa Cruz did with the new Tallboy. Looks like a fun new bike, but I wish they would have stuck with a 148 rear end for the Django.

Rocks belong
    What does the Django offer that the Troy doesn't? Seems like a lot of overlap?
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

Bloody Bastard
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    What does the Django offer that the Troy doesn't? Seems like a lot of overlap?
    My understanding is that the Django falls squarely in the Trail category, while the Troy is All Mountain. I chose the Troy over the Django for the extra travel (with the option to run 160 forks up front) since there is plenty opportunity to negotiate more technical terrain here in Colorado, so the Troy fits the bill as being a better all-arounder for the type of riding I do here. If it weren't for that I think I would've opted for the Django in a 27.5... if that's what you're asking.

mtbr member
    Nice looking bike. Looking at the geo, this is really more of a short travel Enduro bike than a Trail bike. Not much of a difference between it and the Troy expect for little less travel and a little lighter.

Devinci should have went the other way with it, designed it around 120/130 fork and much shorter wheelbase. Trail bikes should be playful and easy to ride. This does not look like it would be either in tight twist trail type riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by In2falling View Post
    Nice looking bike. Looking at the geo, this is really more of a short travel Enduro bike than a Trail bike. Not much of a difference between it and the Troy expect for little less travel and a little lighter.

Devinci should have went the other way with it, designed it around 120/130 fork and much shorter wheelbase. Trail bikes should be playful and easy to ride. This does not look like it would be either in tight twist trail type riding.
    This seems to be the type of geometry that gets the better reviews by the professional reviewers. Pinkbike, vital, etc... Good reviews lead to sales.

Ibis Ripley V4 has almost identical angles and Ibis can't keep up with demand.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorangutan View Post
    This seems to be the type of geometry that gets the better reviews by the professional reviewers. Pinkbike, vital, etc... Good reviews lead to sales.

Ibis Ripley V4 has almost identical angles and Ibis can't keep up with demand.
    Yep. And it's perceived value and marketing. Hardly anyone knows what a Devinci is compared to the likes of Ibis. And when it comes to resale it's not even close. Put a different sticker on a lot of bikes, and sales skyrocket.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    There's also the DW link suspension difference. I actually prefer Devinci's split pivot to pretty much every 4-bar incarnation I've ridden, but fancy suspension seems to sell.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SlipperyToad View Post
    There's also the DW link suspension difference. I actually prefer Devinci's split pivot to pretty much every 4-bar incarnation I've ridden, but fancy suspension seems to sell.
    Yeah, I was trying to be kind. I've owned about 6 or 8 DW Links and 1 or 2 Split Pivot. Split Pivot is very good on descents under braking, but it's climbing prowess in loose, rocky, steep and fast sections is below average. Plus the feedback through the pedals in high torque choppy descents is not that good. But most riders don't know or care about that. They buy based on impulse or emotion; I have about 15 years in sports and outdoor marketing and advertising so I dole out the BS as well as anyone, ha.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Agreed, if technical climbing is your jam, you're better off on a DW link bike.

mtbr member
    This guy does a great job of putting into words a lot of what I experience riding this bike.

https://youtu.be/Zms49DpP8m4
    https://youtu.be/Zms49DpP8m4

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Based on a photo in one of the reviews, it seems that devinci aren’t using a trunnion mount shock on the new Django. I can’t help but wonder why.

I have a Troy 29er. The new Django is marketed as being able to accept bigger tires than the Troy (2.6 vs 2.4). On the Troy, the limitation seems to be the overall wheel height/short chain stays. I’m curious if the chain and seat stays are interchangeable between the two models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    https://images.immediate.co.uk/produ...size=375%2C250

Here is the photo that I was referring to

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by incubus View Post
    https://images.immediate.co.uk/produ...size=375%2C250

Here is the photo that I was referring to

I'll look and see with the bikes I have. That would have made sense to keep manufacturing costs down!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Maybe its an improvement overall as a bike, But I'm just not a fan of the looks. Similar to the Troy, that Scott-like bend to the top tube doesn't thrill me, and that extra carbon wedge between it and the seat tube just strikes me as fugly.

Do like the full carbon stays, and the downtube and chainstay protection. Not sure whether the 44 offset is a plus or minus. The blue looks sharper in your picture than the stock photos on the website.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    Yeah, I was trying to be kind. I've owned about 6 or 8 DW Links and 1 or 2 Split Pivot. Split Pivot is very good on descents under braking, but it's climbing prowess in loose, rocky, steep and fast sections is below average. Plus the feedback through the pedals in high torque choppy descents is not that good. But most riders don't know or care about that. They buy based on impulse or emotion; I have about 15 years in sports and outdoor marketing and advertising so I dole out the BS as well as anyone, ha.
    Hmmm, I have a Django and a Pivot 429. I find the Devinci handles better in most circumstances. As far as efficiency with the rear suspension? The Pivot may be a bit snappier but I’d be splitting hairs. I haven’t ridden the Pivot since I got the Devinci, my son is on it now. The split pivot is probably more efficient than most designs. I’d say that calling it below average isn’t accurate at all.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinshield View Post
    Hmmm, I have a Django and a Pivot 429. I find the Devinci handles better in most circumstances. As far as efficiency with the rear suspension? The Pivot may be a bit snappier but I’d be splitting hairs. I haven’t ridden the Pivot, my son is on it now. The split pivot is probably more efficient than most designs. I’d say that calling it below average isn’t accurate at all.
    It's just my opinion based on owning the django carbon for two years, and being an extremely strong climber. It's also just my opinion based on anecdotal evidence of friends witnessing me flail about or ride slower in many trail conditions for those two years that I normally cleaned or sped through with less effort. Since parting ways with the split pivot, my Strava times, KOMs, and the aforementioned anecdotal input have returned to "normal."

Descending, the django was very good. Compared to my Ripley V4 with the same parts spec, it's not even in the same league as a climber whether seated or standing.

Climbing in many situations, I'll stick with my opinion that the django was below average especially in the low-chip position. Too much leverage and I don't think it was a true 74.5 STA; the sag had to be decreased to keep it from riding too low and bobbing under power.

To each their own. I'm much happier not spending all day climbing on a Split Pivot especially in steep, loose, rocky conditions.

mtbr member
    It's just my opinion based on owning the django carbon for two years, and being an extremely strong climber. It's also just my opinion based on anecdotal evidence of friends witnessing me flail about or ride slower in many trail conditions for those two years that I normally cleaned or sped through with less effort. Since parting ways with the split pivot, my Strava times, KOMs, and the aforementioned anecdotal input have returned to "normal."

Descending, the django was very good. Compared to my Ripley V4 with the same parts spec, it's not even in the same league as a climber whether seated or standing.

Climbing in many situations, I'll stick with my opinion that the django was below average especially in the low-chip position. Too much leverage and I don't think it was a true 74.5 STA; the sag had to be decreased to keep it from riding too low and bobbing under power.

To each their own. I'm much happier not spending all day climbing on a Split Pivot especially in steep, loose, rocky conditions.
    My Pivot sucks on techy steep climbs. Takes every bit of attention to keep it steering straight. My Django always straight and I’m able to motor up stuff I couldn’t on my Pivot. I’ve never ridden in the low setting. Too rocky around here I set it to high and left it. I’ve set more PR’s on my Django than any other bike I’ve owned. I honestly don’t think it has anything to do with the rear suspension and everything to do with the geo and how I fit on it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Related sidenote: tried giving you more rep, but seems I did a while ago for another of your well-written posts, ha. It's nice having a mature opinionated convo on a forum. Rare these days. Enjoy your ride.

mtbr member
    Related sidenote: tried giving you more rep, but seems I did a while ago for another of your well-written posts, ha. It's nice having a mature opinionated convo on a forum. Rare these days. Enjoy your ride.
    Thanks, you too man

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    To those who think the '20 Django is like the '19+ Troy at all, it's most certainly not. In my stable right now I have a '18 Marshall, '18 + '19 Troy, '20 Django, and '19 Spartan. They are very different feeling bikes. And they all (except the 2 Troys) have very different ride characteristics.
    To be completely honest, the Troys are not getting ridden much at all anymore. I've passed the '18 Marshall to my wife (she LOVES it), and the '18 Troy to a friend. The '19 Troy is getting sold now. I just use the '20 Django and '19 Spartan now.
    The Spartan is too close to the Troy for me. They pedal and fit similarly. I figure if I want to ride blues with occasional blacks, the Django is awesome. If I'm on burly rides, the Spartan is the go-to. The Troy never really did either that well.
    Troy vs Django: Uphill traction, equal. Uphill grinding, Django. Uphill tech, Django. Flat sprints, Django. Downhill flow, Django. Downhill tech, Troy. Downhill jank, Troy. Maneuverability, Django. Snappiness, Django. Jumping, Troy. Fun, Django.
    The only times I wished for the Troy, I would have rather been on the Spartan.
    Still think the Troy is a strong bike, and a great do-it-all (especially with a coil), but if you can have two, I love having the Spartan and Django.
    **The Django is built on the burly side with 150 Lyrik, Saint brakes, WTB Vigilante light/TrailBoss tough. Weighs in at 31 lbs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by abacall View Post
    To those who think the '20 Django is like the '19+ Troy at all, it's most certainly not. In my stable right now I have a '18 Marshall, '18 + '19 Troy, '20 Django, and '19 Spartan. They are very different feeling bikes.
    When do you ride the Marshall? I am considering a used to compliment my Ripmo AF.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    No much, my wife loves it and it's her bike now. TBH, the new Django does everything it did, but a little better. The Marshall felt a bit more burly, and it can switch between 27.5+ and 29. She currently running it with 2.8 HR2 and Ikons. She loves the traction and comfort that gives, but still pedals awesome.

Oh, and I took a pic of the new Django fully compressed in Low. Looks like about 10mm more left, so not sure on running longer stroke shock unless it's in the high position. I have a spare 50mm stroke shock I'll swap on at some point this winter to check if it'll work.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2020 Devinci Django Thread-img_1472.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by abacall View Post
    **The Django is built on the burly side with 150 Lyrik, Saint brakes, WTB Vigilante light/TrailBoss tough. Weighs in at 31 lbs.
    abacall, I’ve been demo’ing the 2020 Django for a week now and am getting along with it quite well. I had a ‘18 Troy but went back to my ‘17 Switchblade. The Django definitely climbs east coast super tech better than the Pivot, which is kind of a pig and has a slack STA. My only concern with the Django is the increase in pedal strikes I’m getting, which I think might be a result of both a lower BB and more active suspension than I’m currently riding. I put it in “high” setting but that placed me just a tad bit too forward for my liking (made it feel more like the riding position of a Ripley V4, which I’m not a fan of).

I’m thinking that putting a 150 fork on the Django (to slacken a bit) will allow the “high” setting to feel less forward, i.e. maybe doing this will maintain the geometry and riding position of the “low” setting while also gaining a few mm of BB height and add some travel. Question is... have you run in “high” with the 150 fork? How does the bike handle and climb in “low” with the 150? Any significant difference from stock 140 fork...? Thx!
    Last edited by Jspagat; 05-19-2020 at 05:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Jspagat View Post
    abacall, I’ve been demo’ing the 2020 Django for a week now and am getting along with it quite well. I had a ‘18 Troy but went back to my ‘17 Switchblade. The Django definitely climbs east coast super tech better than the Pivot, which is kind of a pig and has a slack STA. My only concern with the Django is the increase in pedal strikes I’m getting, which I think might be a result of both a lower BB and more active suspension than I’m currently riding. I put it in “high” setting but that placed me just a tad bit too forward for my liking (made it feel more like the riding position of a Ripley V4, which I’m not a fan of).

I’m thinking that putting a 150 fork on the Django (to slacken a bit) will allow the “high” setting to feel less forward, i.e. maybe doing this will maintain the geometry and riding position of the “low” setting while also gaining a few mm of BB height and add some travel. Question is... have you run in “high” with the 150 fork? How does the bike handle and climb in “low” with the 150? Any significant difference from stock 140 fork...? Thx!
    Never put it in the high position with the 150 fork. Like you said, the fork does ride the BB a bit, and that just seems way too high for me. With the 150 fork the ST is still plenty steep, and the HA gets a bit more slack, which is good for my intentions with this bike.
    I've never really had pedal strike issues with the 150 fork, at least not any more than any other modern bike. A fast engaging hub helped that a lot, as you can ratchet your way up and adjust for those pedal smash moments easier.
    As far as handling with the 150, it feels pretty damn natural to be honest. I thought the 120/150 combo would be ridiculous, but it's not. Part of the is the RS Lyrik. Like most RS forks, it has a little bit of suck-down, which makes it really close to the 140 anyway.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Yea, a 150 fork in the low setting works well. Good all around. High works too, but low better if the terrain allows for it.