2017 Devinci Django 29er - Page 2- Mtbr.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 201 to 282 of 282
  1. #201
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    914
    Got my first real ride in on the Django today since finishing the build, and it was amazing. I thought maybe the 140 Pike on it might make it handle just different enough from the 130 Fox on the bike I demo'd that it would just feel a bit off to me. Nope, handled the tight twisty stuff just fine, felt pretty much just like the other bike did. Just like the demo bike, does everything better than my old bike.

    I will say, I rode this on pavement to the trails, first time I had this on the road for any extensive time, and this thing just motors. Pedals very efficiently and smooth, and each pedal stroke just makes it want to jump, wants to fly.

    This one's a keeper. Haven't ridden a ton of mountain bikes in my day, but this is easily the best one I've ever been on.

  2. #202
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by deserat View Post


    Not the best pic but its already snowing outside...

    Thought Id throw this up for anyone interested. Cane Creek inline coil 190/50 and MRP Ribbon at 140mm. Been riding it for a couple months and its pretty cool. Everything from xcish to some bike park stuff. Strava times arent really any different than in the stock set up but I dont tend to carry my phone on the local rides. my seat of the pants says it feels better. And Id say its now more capable across a wider spectrum of trail types.

    The coil does come really close to the seat tube. No contact afaik. Put a piece of protective take there just in case.

    Also running RWC needle bearings on the top mount. Did the same with the stock shock and can notice a positive difference.
    Shameless plug: this frame with the cane creek coil is for sale. Size small. FYI in case someone is interested.

  3. #203
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    5
    Anyone know how far down a seat post can go on a Medium Django 29 Carbon? So measurement from seatpost clamp down? Want to see if I can fit a 150mm Fox Transfer Dropper.

  4. #204
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by Vengeance View Post
    Anyone know how far down a seat post can go on a Medium Django 29 Carbon? So measurement from seatpost clamp down? Want to see if I can fit a 150mm Fox Transfer Dropper.
    200mm

  5. #205
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    116
    Anyone tried a "seventyniner" with smaller rearwheel and 140 fork, high position. Could be interesting to ride.
    Last edited by _tarzan; 01-14-2018 at 12:51 PM.

  6. #206
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    5
    Thanks HappyM

  7. #207
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,197
    Quote Originally Posted by cunningstunts View Post
    a question for D29 owners: does this bike really climb as well as some of the reviewers gush about? i'm dying to try one. it sounds like the goldilocks of trail bikes that climbs like a goat. is this your experience compared to other bikes you've owned?
    Yes. I run it in the steeper geometry, and the seat angle is about 74.5 degrees. The frame is about a pound heavier than my other bikes, but the reach and overall geometry let me put the power down. I have it built up as a 26 pound trail bike, and my Strava times on climbs under 10 minutes are no slower than my short travel XC bikes (Turner Czar 100mm fork) while it goes downhill much smoother and in more control. I usually run 25% sag in the steep mode and when I rarely put in slacker mode it's closer to 30% sag.

  8. #208
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    914
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    Yes. I run it in the steeper geometry, and the seat angle is about 74.5 degrees. The frame is about a pound heavier than my other bikes, but the reach and overall geometry let me put the power down. I have it built up as a 26 pound trail bike, and my Strava times on climbs under 10 minutes are no slower than my short travel XC bikes (Turner Czar 100mm fork) while it goes downhill much smoother and in more control. I usually run 25% sag in the steep mode and when I rarely put in slacker mode it's closer to 30% sag.
    What's your build list to come in at that weight? That's probably over three pounds lighter than my bike.

  9. #209
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,197
    Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    What's your build list to come in at that weight? That's probably over three pounds lighter than my bike.
    It's probably my tires and wheels that "save" weight. For lower valley trails I run a Vittoria Barzo 2.35 which is barely above 700 grams and my rear is Vittoria Mezcal G+ 2.35 at 708 grams.

    Wheels are 27mm inner carbon 32H with Sapim Laser and alloy nips. Total weight is 1460 grams. I'm a 160 pound Cat 1 marathon/XC type so it's not like I'm bashing rocks and flat landing.

    I do have burlier tires for higher mountain trails that are decomposed granite and softball size rocks. Maxxis Forekaster 2.35 rear is about 735 grams and HighRoller II 2.35 is 930 grams. Plus I slap on a 180mm rotor otherwise it's 160 both ends.

    Saddle is Bontrager RXL at 190grams which is on all bikes. Pure comfort for even 12 hour days. ESI Racer, 195 gram carbon bar at 780 width, 110 gram short stem, Praxis LYFT carbon crank, Eggbeaters, X01 Eagle, Fox Factory 34.

    Again, I think it's my wheels and tires (and that crankset).

  10. #210
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    914
    Well, I see a pound and a half, and maybe another pound between crank and pedals. Maybe another half pound in rotors and adapters(I'm 180mm front and rear) groupset and fork. So there's roughly the three pounds.

  11. #211
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    111
    Here is my Django 29, just love this thing.

    Did anyone tried to fit 29x2,6 tyres?
    Seems to be perfect solution for mountains.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2017 Devinci Django 29er-ddcfcdf6-8af7-411a-a261-22daaafe8008.jpg  


  12. #212
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,197
    Quote Originally Posted by luke_ View Post
    Here is my Django 29, just love this thing.

    Did anyone tried to fit 29x2,6 tyres?
    Seems to be perfect solution for mountains.
    130 or 140 fork?
    You prefer low or high chip geometry?

  13. #213
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by luke_ View Post
    Here is my Django 29, just love this thing.

    Did anyone tried to fit 29x2,6 tyres?
    Seems to be perfect solution for mountains.
    2.6 Nobby Nics fit with plenty of room. I'm running a fox 36 up front though so I don't know about the 34 that comes stock

  14. #214
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4
    I've got the 29x2.6 with the 34 Fox. Fits just fine.

  15. #215
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    130 or 140 fork?
    You prefer low or high chip geometry?
    I have stock Fox 34, 130mm and I mostly ride in low setting.

    Thanks for comments, I will buy the Nics then :-)

  16. #216
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    5
    Hi,
    thanks to cookerq I can't stop thinking about pimping my rear shock. As I already ride my Django 2017 with a 140mm Fox 34 Performance FIT Grip, I'd like to have a bit more travel in the rear as well. I'm going to try the DBInline with two offset bushings. So it won't change my bb height too much hopefully. Another thought was to try a 185/50mm Trunnion metric shock. I just don't know too much about Trunnion shocks. Does anyone have an idea if they fit into the Django?

  17. #217
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    25
    Below are where my tune on the DBair inline ended up. Depending on the ride some adjustments get tweaked slightly by 1/4 -1/8th turn on the high speed. I found the shock was easier to tune than the Fox since the circuit adjustments are independent. As for the climb switch it's served two purposes for me. Normally I leave it in the climb position where it's more snappy, supportive, and playful. I'll switch it out of climb when I need more traction climbing or for really steep descent sections where I need braking traction.

    All turns/clicks are from full open:

    Shock 190*50mm
    PSI 220
    Sag 10mm/20%
    LVol 0
    Svol 0
    HSC 2.5
    LSC 11
    HSR 2.5
    LSR 12

  18. #218
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    5
    Thanks, this will be a starting point for me. My rider weight is around 160pds. What is yours?
    Would you recommend trying a second offset bushing (top)?
    As I remember you wrote about some Devinci athlete using a trunnion shock. Do you think they had to make adaptions in order to fit the shock? That would be even better than using offset bushings.

  19. #219
    Rider/Builder/Hacker
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    419
    I've got my Django alloy frame in, and have started the build. First order of business is the shock, where I've sourced a CC Inline Coil, RWC roller bearings w/red spacers (to go with the frame's Gray/Red colorway). Still waiting on the offset bushing for the lower shock mount, as the chainstay is just touching the BB shell. The rest of the component spec is still TBD, but I picked up a set of used ENVE M70HV rims on CK hubs and a Fox 34 Performance Elite fork as foundation pieces.

  20. #220
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    18

    Tire Sizes

    Steering the discussion back to tire sizes...

    I'm really interested in fitting some 2.6" - 2.8" tires on 29" x 35mm ID rims. I'd like to know if anyone has tried a combination like this yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by cookerq View Post
    2.6 Nobby Nics fit with plenty of room. I'm running a fox 36 up front though so I don't know about the 34 that comes stock
    A full 3" Chupacabra on a 29" x 45mm ID rim fits up front on the Fox 34, as this is the same combo I'm currently running on my Trek Stache. After playing with the pressures I have come to appreciate the traction and comfort of the plus size tires, and really believe they need the wider rims to enable accurate steering on technical stuff.

    I am worried, however, about the clearance on the rear tire with this frame.

    What's the widest tire / rim anyone has tried?

    -Tom

  21. #221
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    116
    Got my first real ride on the Django today. I have mixed feelings about the bike. Seems like a great bike but something strange is happening with the cockpit/geometry. The steering feels somehow wrong.

    I have a Med, My height is 174cm (5' 8,5"). Handlebar 760mm 20mm rise, 50mm stem (slammed!). Handlebar height from the ground is about 30-50mm (1-2") higher than my other trailbikes, reach about 30mm longer, headtube 5mm taller. My other bikes are Pivot mach 429c (60mm stem), Camber Evo (50-60mm stem). Also have a Radon Swoop 170 and a Mondraker Summum.

    All those bikes seems to fit me great and have had no problem setting handlebar height and choosing stem length but with the Django I struggle finding the right cockpit setup. The bike is over an inch longer in reach than anything I've had, but somehow it feels short and twitchy when standing up. Also, seems hard to lift the front end and can't get a feel of the front end while cornering. Could this be because of too high handlebar, too long stem? Then again, I feel that a longer stem would be better so I could put weight on the front easier... Just can't get my head around why the steering feels so odd. Would like to sort this out because it seems like a potent bike.


    Other things I noticed:

    - Its silent when riding
    - Climbs great
    - Pedals really well
    - Rear end could be longer, would add more stability and it wouldn't break loose so easily, also would be more balanced
    - The stock fork (34 Perf. Elite) is ok but honestly I would prefer a Pike above this. Or then I'll try a DVO at some point
    - BB is low but not too low. Great with 170mm cranks.
    - Steering/weighing the front feels strange as noted above, could be my setup or the 51mm offset fork, don't know, need to try my 46mm offset PIKE on this thing.
    - The Mavic XA Pro Carbon wheels felt great. Not too stiff like my Nox Skylines on another bike.

    Thoughts?

  22. #222
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    776
    you are suffering from toomanybikeitis, making it difficult to love one more.

  23. #223
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    116
    Hit the nail on the head

    Difficult to part with bikes you have custom built, you consider beautiful and are not made anymore!

  24. #224
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    57
    @_tarzan did you try it with a flat handlebar? Or with just 5mm rise? Or a stem with negative rise? Well you get it, anything that would lower the bar

  25. #225
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,197
    Quote Originally Posted by _tarzan View Post
    Got my first real ride on the Django today. I have mixed feelings about the bike. Seems like a great bike but something strange is happening with the cockpit/geometry. The steering feels somehow wrong.

    I have a Med, My height is 174cm (5' 8,5"). Handlebar 760mm 20mm rise, 50mm stem (slammed!). Handlebar height from the ground is about 30-50mm (1-2") higher than my other trailbikes, reach about 30mm longer, headtube 5mm taller. My other bikes are Pivot mach 429c (60mm stem), Camber Evo (50-60mm stem). Also have a Radon Swoop 170 and a Mondraker Summum.

    All those bikes seems to fit me great and have had no problem setting handlebar height and choosing stem length but with the Django I struggle finding the right cockpit setup. The bike is over an inch longer in reach than anything I've had, but somehow it feels short and twitchy when standing up. Also, seems hard to lift the front end and can't get a feel of the front end while cornering. Could this be because of too high handlebar, too long stem? Then again, I feel that a longer stem would be better so I could put weight on the front easier... Just can't get my head around why the steering feels so odd. Would like to sort this out because it seems like a potent bike.


    Other things I noticed:

    - Its silent when riding
    - Climbs great
    - Pedals really well
    - Rear end could be longer, would add more stability and it wouldn't break loose so easily, also would be more balanced
    - The stock fork (34 Perf. Elite) is ok but honestly I would prefer a Pike above this. Or then I'll try a DVO at some point
    - BB is low but not too low. Great with 170mm cranks.
    - Steering/weighing the front feels strange as noted above, could be my setup or the 51mm offset fork, don't know, need to try my 46mm offset PIKE on this thing.
    - The Mavic XA Pro Carbon wheels felt great. Not too stiff like my Nox Skylines on another bike.

    Thoughts?
    I'm a xc marathon type and the 29 django is my first trail bike with more than 100mm travel. I'm 5'10" on large django and ran 50mm stem slammed with 780 bar with 15mm rise mostly due to everyone telling me trail bikes should have 50mm stems. Also tried flat wide bar. Sag was 25 to 30 percent. Didn't fall in love with the bike. The 50mm stem made my lower back and arms get fatigued on super fast xc type pedaling.
    Then I put a 60 degree with +7 rise and slammed. Muuuuuuch better climbing and more of a "in the bike" feel instead of a short elbow in belly enduro bro descending feel that compromised power pedaling on flats. I can still weight the front end on corners, climbing for an hour is night and day better.

    I was focused on the 29er django's extra reach and thought a 50mm stem would "balance" the cockpit, but it almost felt like my old Turner Czar (short reach) with a stem that was too short. It had an under and backswept feel.

    As noted the django 29 headtube is tall. About 15mm taller than others in class. Pinkbike mentioned this, too. They slammed the stem and I've seen many with flat bars or 15mm rise depending on their stem choice and local terrain.

    Hope this helps.

  26. #226
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    116
    Thanks. Guess I need a new bar. Bought a RaceFace Next from my friend for this bike. Too bad it has too much rise. With the stem slammed, the handlebar measures the same from the floor as my DH-bike - and that's unsagged...

  27. #227
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    190
    I swapped the stock F34 for a 150mm DVO diamond and after 1 ride I think I may leave it set at 150 for a while! I need to get it out on my local trails to see how it compares, but it handled South Mountain in Phoenix extremely well.

  28. #228
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    776
    but how did it climb? is this really the greatest climbing mountain bike that's ever been created?

  29. #229
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    190
    I was fully expecting to lose a fair amount of climbing ability, but it ended up climbing better than I expected and felt a lot more composed on the downs. Based on my very basic iPhone head angle measurements it sits right around 67 degrees. Ill be able to give some better feedback once I get some rides on my home trails.

  30. #230
    Rider/Builder/Hacker
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    419
    Quote Originally Posted by carbine_275 View Post
    I've got my Django alloy frame in, and have started the build. First order of business is the shock, where I've sourced a CC Inline Coil, RWC roller bearings w/red spacers (to go with the frame's Gray/Red colorway). Still waiting on the offset bushing for the lower shock mount, as the chainstay is just touching the BB shell. The rest of the component spec is still TBD, but I picked up a set of used ENVE M70HV rims on CK hubs and a Fox 34 Performance Elite fork as foundation pieces.
    Here it is...

  31. #231
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    190
    After another ride at 150mm up front I'm going to leave it there for now. It still climbed well and I felt like technical climbing may have been slightly better. It was a little easier for the front wheel to wander and I did have to be a little more deliberate with getting my weight forward, but any loss in climbing is definitely worth it for the descents! If you haven't tried the Django at 140 or even 150 I highly recommend it. The DVO diamond is amazing and pairs very nicely with the split pivot rear suspension too.

  32. #232
    Not a Barry supporter.
    Reputation: Crash_FLMB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,934
    I'm looking at a couple of new rides and the Django is very high on the list. I'm in the Phoenix area too. Not many dealers around these parts. Did you test ride one? Which shop?
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

  33. #233
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,197
    Quote Originally Posted by cunningstunts View Post
    but how did it climb? is this really the greatest climbing mountain bike that's ever been created?
    No it is not.

  34. #234
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    18
    Stopped by my LBS today and played with tires/rims. Fitted a 29x2.60" Nobby Nic on a 35mm internal width rim on the rear. The clearance is fantastic, so good in fact that I'm considering lacing up a 40mm internal rim for use with this tire.

    -Tom

  35. #235
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    175
    In case anyone is interested, I have a Cane Creek DB In-line coil shock 7.5 x 2.0 with RWC needle bearing on top for sale. Same size as discussed earlier in this thread. Hit me up if interested.

  36. #236
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by kipstylee View Post
    Where is this color combo at? Saw this before the Django 27.5 was released, once it was, I was hoping this would pop up for the 29 offering, the yellow / blue is not attractive.
    So, Devinci asked me to help them sell off their SoCal demo fleet, and low and behold this very bike (or at least the color way) was in the mix of bikes I picked up. It's a SX build, medium. Looks like it's only been ridden a handful of times. If any of you are interested lmk I'm going to put up in the Buy Sell Trade if I can't sell it locally. Only thing I've done to it, is warranty the guides, and had a couple folks demo it.

    2017 Devinci Django 29er-20170906_175020.jpg

  37. #237
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,197
    Quote Originally Posted by Brahm View Post
    So, Devinci asked me to help them sell off their SoCal demo fleet, and low and behold this very bike (or at least the color way) was in the mix of bikes I picked up. It's a SX build, medium. Looks like it's only been ridden a handful of times. If any of you are interested lmk I'm going to put up in the Buy Sell Trade if I can't sell it locally. Only thing I've done to it, is warranty the guides, and had a couple folks demo it.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170906_175020.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	113.9 KB 
ID:	1186958
    Warranty the guides?

  38. #238
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    Warranty the guides?
    There was a batch of guide brakes that had issues with the pistons sticking in warmer temperatures. SRAM was offering extended warranties on those.
    Last edited by Brahm; 03-12-2018 at 04:09 PM.

  39. #239
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    116
    What bar width/rise/height and stem length have Medium-sized frame owners settled on?

    At the moment my setup is:
    760mm bar
    20mm rise
    5mm spacer
    45mm stem, 0 deg
    Rider: 5'8"

    Cockpit feeling still a bit off somehow but don't know why. So different bike than previous, but I think I'll get used to it. Handlebar is almost 2" higher (from ground) than on my 429, saddle to bar-distance the same.

  40. #240
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    18
    Hey guys,

    after my 2015 Patrol broke down again, i'm thinking about a new bike.
    I would like to go with 29" wheels.

    I got the troy some time ago and it was a blast.
    Now i'm thinking about switching to the django.
    My question is how capable the bike is while descending.
    I would go with a 7.5 x 2.0 shock to get a little bit more travel.
    I also would install a 140mm oder 150mm Pike in it.

    Will it last going rough terrain and jumping moderate big jumps?

  41. #241
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by matzen View Post
    Hey guys,

    after my 2015 Patrol broke down again, i'm thinking about a new bike.
    I would like to go with 29" wheels.

    I got the troy some time ago and it was a blast.
    Now i'm thinking about switching to the django.
    My question is how capable the bike is while descending.
    I would go with a 7.5 x 2.0 shock to get a little bit more travel.
    I also would install a 140mm oder 150mm Pike in it.

    Will it last going rough terrain and jumping moderate big jumps?
    I have both the Troy and the Django. I run the Django with a -1 angleset and a 140mm fork. The Django is very capable but I find it limited by the rear suspension. The Troy is a better downhill bike and more forgiving since it has 20mm more rear travel and has a way more progressive leverage ratio. On the other hand the Django is more lively and fun to ride.
    I have had my Django with the stock Kashima Float DPS and also with a coil shock. The coil shock was terrible: either too harsh or comfortable but would bottom out when dropping half a meter...

  42. #242
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyMTB.fr View Post
    I have both the Troy and the Django. I run the Django with a -1 angleset and a 140mm fork. The Django is very capable but I find it limited by the rear suspension. The Troy is a better downhill bike and more forgiving since it has 20mm more rear travel and has a way more progressive leverage ratio. On the other hand the Django is more lively and fun to ride.
    I have had my Django with the stock Kashima Float DPS and also with a coil shock. The coil shock was terrible: either too harsh or comfortable but would bottom out when dropping half a meter...
    Thanks. You rode the Django with the stock shock size?
    Or did you upgrade to the large shock? Then the Troy should have 134mm i think it was?

  43. #243
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    57
    The Troy has 140mm of rear travel.
    I rode the Django only with 184x44 shocks which is the stock size giving 120mm of travel.

  44. #244
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    192
    Anyone had a problem with pivot bearings? Doing a thorough spring cleaning and pulled the suspension apart for a clean and regrease... the NDS rocker bearing that connects to the seatstay was frozen. I pulled the seal and got it loosened up and greased, but it's notchy and will need to be replaced. Just wondering if it's worth bothering Devinci for a replacement (no Devinci dealer around here) as the bike is still under the 1 year. Anyone dealt with them directly on warranty parts? I don't want a huge hassle for a bearing I can get for $10, but on principle it seems like I should at least contact them. Thoughts?

  45. #245
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    175
    Good luck contacting them. Ive called and emailed multiple time. Havent received any type of response.

  46. #246
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Velorangutan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    264
    Quote Originally Posted by deserat View Post
    Good luck contacting them. Ive called and emailed multiple time. Havent received any type of response.
    Have you tried a local shop? When I call Devinci I get a sales rep every time and they have always been quick to help with anything.

  47. #247
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Velorangutan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    264
    Quote Originally Posted by SlipperyToad View Post
    Anyone had a problem with pivot bearings? Doing a thorough spring cleaning and pulled the suspension apart for a clean and regrease... the NDS rocker bearing that connects to the seatstay was frozen. I pulled the seal and got it loosened up and greased, but it's notchy and will need to be replaced. Just wondering if it's worth bothering Devinci for a replacement (no Devinci dealer around here) as the bike is still under the 1 year. Anyone dealt with them directly on warranty parts? I don't want a huge hassle for a bearing I can get for $10, but on principle it seems like I should at least contact them. Thoughts?
    I'm willing to bet Devinci will send you a set of bearings. However, it may be much quicker to keep you on the trail to just buy them locally.

  48. #248
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    192
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorangutan View Post
    I'm willing to bet Devinci will send you a set of bearings. However, it may be much quicker to keep you on the trail to just buy them locally.
    Thanks, I picked up a handful of 6903s yesterday afternoon to replace the one that was crunchy and have some on hand. I figure I'll get it replaced now and see if I have any luck with Devinci - could be a good test for how I'd ever get a warranty done on my frame (which I hope I never have to do). I wish a shop in my area would pick up the Devinci line.

    On another note, I'm about 500ish miles into the Django 29 now and still loving it. Might not be quite as fast as a XC bike on most our clay and dirt trails, but I like how stout it's built and how supportive the suspension is once you get into it.

  49. #249
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dogboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,542
    Quote Originally Posted by SlipperyToad View Post
    I figure I'll get it replaced now and see if I have any luck with Devinci - could be a good test for how I'd ever get a warranty done on my frame (which I hope I never have to do). I wish a shop in my area would pick up the Devinci line.
    Out of curiosity, where did you buy it? Considering Devinci has a dealer network (as opposed to a consumer direct sales model), I wouldn't expect them to work directly with a customer.

  50. #250
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    192
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogboy View Post
    Out of curiosity, where did you buy it? Considering Devinci has a dealer network (as opposed to a consumer direct sales model), I wouldn't expect them to work directly with a customer.
    I bought it from EVO - one of their dealers that ships bikes. I am going through EVO to try to get the bearing warrantied too... a lot of overhead to get a standard bearing replaced, which is why I picked up a few locally.

  51. #251
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyMTB.fr View Post
    I I run the Django with a -1 angleset and a 140mm fork.
    I didn't know integrated headsets with offset exist. What kind of angleset are you using? Do you have a link?

    Btw. I'm running the Django with a CCDB Inline 190x50 and two offset bushings. BBH is around 340mm in low position. The difference between the stock shock is amazing. A lot more supple and yet endless travel in comparison.

  52. #252
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    192
    Evo was super quick with their reply... they have forwarded the issue to Devinci.

  53. #253
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MiWi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    98
    Quote Originally Posted by maui400 View Post
    I didn't know integrated headsets with offset exist. What kind of angleset are you using? Do you have a link?
    My 2017 Django (carbon) has ZS headset, not IS. No problem to get an angleset for ZS.
    I got a ZS56/EC44 from works components.

  54. #254
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MiWi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    98
    Quote Originally Posted by matzen View Post
    Hey guys,

    after my 2015 Patrol broke down again, i'm thinking about a new bike.
    I would like to go with 29" wheels.

    I got the troy some time ago and it was a blast.
    Now i'm thinking about switching to the django.
    My question is how capable the bike is while descending.
    I would go with a 7.5 x 2.0 shock to get a little bit more travel.
    I also would install a 140mm oder 150mm Pike in it.

    Will it last going rough terrain and jumping moderate big jumps?
    Unfortunately Ive never ridden a Troy.
    But I have a 2017 Django and a 2018 Smuggler and had a Spitfire and a Rune before.
    Dont know if the comparison is of any worth.
    I have no doubt the Django will last going rough terrain and jumping, but of course its not the right tool for regularly "huck to flat attempts".

    My Smuggler and Django are built with the same parts, both 140mm Pikes, same wheels, same tires and so on.
    Both bikes feel completely different to me.
    The Django is a way better climber, more nimble, a lot quicker to handle. Easier to flick around in the air. Easier to get to speed out of turns.
    It does feel like a 120mm bike though (which I like).

    The Smuggler needs rougher and more high speed terrain to shine.
    It feels like a lot (!) more travel. But its not nearly as nimble and easy to handle in tight stuff and feels a little dead on trails wich are not very steep. Jumping feels very very stable, but Im not flicking it around. (Its the heavy alloy version)

    I had a Spitfire and a Rune before the Django and the Smuggler.

    To me, the Django is similiar to the Spitfire. Id say Djago climbs a little better and there is a bit more shaking and bouncing going on on fast and rough descents.
    Which I like. I like it alot in fact.
    (Just for reference: I like taking my "kind of enduro" Hardtails with 140mm pike on rides where my buddies ride Bronsons, Wardens and Patrols. I always enjoy the sensation of feel whats going on underneath me, but I ride my shorttravel bikes on the same terrain as my bigger full sussers.)

    The Smuggler feels quite a lot more capable as the Spitfire. Halfway to Rune maybe. Its more plush and the very long geometry (I ride XL bikes) gives me more highspeed confidence compared to the Django. When it gets rough, fast and the jumps got not exactly smooth landings, the Smuggler will be more relaxed than the Django.

    But: My favorite bike is the Django. Without any doubt. I can ride any trail and jump anything I dare (I dont have big balls, I regularly jump 20-25ft gaps but not much more)
    In steep and rough sections Im a bit slower with the Django than on Smuggler or Rune. But I make up for that twice on the other parts of the trail. The Django is the bike I ride the most.

    So, yes. I think the Django will last going rough terrain and jumping moderate big jumps.
    The questions are maybe more like:
    "Will you like the amount of feedback it will give you ?"
    and
    "Are you looking to set any Strava records on those kind of terrain?"

  55. #255
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    57

  56. #256
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Velorangutan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    264
    Thanks for the link! I'm reverse from the rest of the world I guess. I'd use them to steepen the HA up to at least 71deg

    Quote Originally Posted by HappyMTB.fr View Post

  57. #257
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    116
    The other day I was wondering why my Django seems to be bottoming out a lot (like i was riding a Trek...) when having sag around 30-35%. I remember all the reviews goin' on about how progressive the suspension is so I was a bit confused. I guess Bikemag and others had some volume spacers installed because I had.. none. Might also be I suffer from light weight as always, need to run low pressures to get correct sag/right feeling and then it blows through the stroke like nothing.

    Do all Djangos come with no spacers/tokens installed? Does it make a big difference after installing a volume spacer or should I have the shock tuned for me?

    2017 Devinci Django 29er-img_4388.jpg

  58. #258
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    57
    Mine came without any spacer. I did a few with different sizes from an Ikea cutting board and experimented with them.

  59. #259
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MiWi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    98
    They get delivered without any spacer.
    Mine had no spacer as well. Thats also what the Fox Center shows for the ID/tune of the Django (2017) shock.
    I ride 25-30% sag and use a medium spacer. Without a spacer I bottom out quite often.

  60. #260
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    116
    I borrowed a spacer from a friend, felt better but I guess the spacer was a bit big 'cause I never used the last 4mm of stroke with approx. 30% sag

    Now I'll try my Pivots spare shock (Monarch RL 184x44), initial impressions are promising. Feels somehow more composed, I feel better what's happening down there. Seems I don't benefit that much from that "extra volume" on the Fox. Fox needs 130-135 PSI and Monarch 90-95 PSI to get the same sag.
    2017 Devinci Django 29er-img_4486.jpg

    I'll go for a proper ride when my Guide brake starts working again, the lever piston gets stuck in high temperatures...

  61. #261
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crankpuller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by _tarzan View Post
    I borrowed a spacer from a friend, felt better but I guess the spacer was a bit big 'cause I never used the last 4mm of stroke with approx. 30% sag

    Now I'll try my Pivots spare shock (Monarch RL 184x44), initial impressions are promising. Feels somehow more composed, I feel better what's happening down there. Seems I don't benefit that much from that "extra volume" on the Fox. Fox needs 130-135 PSI and Monarch 90-95 PSI to get the same sag.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4486.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	128.4 KB 
ID:	1198318

    I'll go for a proper ride when my Guide brake starts working again, the lever piston gets stuck in high temperatures...
    Take the guides back to your shop for warranty- it is a known issue. same thing happened to my guides and levels last year. Replaced with Shimano and never looked back.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

  62. #262
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    192
    Just a quick update on my frozen pivot bearing... Evo contacted Devinci and a new set of bearings is on the way.

  63. #263
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    192

    Recon 29x2.6

    Just fitted a pair of maxxis recon 2.6s on 29mm internal rims. Minimum clearance in the rear is about 5mm to the DS chainstay. Should be fine in anything but really muddy conditions. Here are some photos if you're interested.

    https://photos.app.goo.gl/HUiUXRKTZDMzdbr3A

  64. #264
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    776
    do you like the tires and how they ride? do they have enough cornering grip? are they an improvement from your previous set up?

  65. #265
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    192
    I haven't had a chance to ride them much yet... we've had a ton of rain lately and the trails here have been closed. They opened yesterday but were still pretty wet. I wasn't overly impressed with how they handled those conditions. I run 29x3 WTB Rangers on my fatbike during the summer, and I love the traction they provide on dry, but they suck on wet too. I would have been better off with the stock HR2/Ardent yesterday.

    The fatter Recons just didn't bite into the wet clay like the HR2. I do like that there's not as much drift in the transition from the center knobs to the edge. I suspect I'll like the setup more when I get a chance to ride it on some better dirt. I also had the pressure a little high, I think. I was running 18f/20r, I think the next ride I'll go down to 15-16f/17-18r (I weigh about 180 ready to ride).

  66. #266
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    25
    Just got done the first ride on a -1 deg Works Components head set and it was an improvement pretty much all around.

    Descending improvement was expected but climbing was also improved. Climbing the bike holds a line better through technical parts and off camber sections. I found myself pushing a bigger gear and needing to make fewer corrections.

    Descending It's not as quick to change lines but doesn't get knocked off line as easily which I consider an improvement.

    Front end grip is lessened but weighting the front more eliminates any understeer.

    For reference I'm running a 150 36 51mm offset with an extended shock and offset bushing.

  67. #267
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    116
    So you basically have yourself a Troy 29er, w/o the silly superboost and better heel clearance. Funny how they say it's because of tyre clearance, short chainstays etc. when someone managed to build a 140mm 29er without superboost out of a Django that has essentially the same dimensions in the rear centre EDIT: and without a trunnion mount shock!

    I've been trying this bike out as a "Troy 79er", with 190x51 shock and 650B rear wheel. Gives exactly the same geo on paper but a bit lower BB in action (more travel -> more sag). If someone is interested I can try and describe how it feels like.

    Would be awesome to be able to fit a 185x50 trunnion shock on the Django 29, you would have same geo but more travel.

  68. #268
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by _tarzan View Post
    So you basically have yourself a Troy 29er, w/o the silly superboost.
    Pretty much. BB height is identical, reach is slightly shorter and the rear chainstay a touch longer. The biggest advantage I see to the superboost is chaining clearance. The biggest ring I can get on my Django and have a reasonable chain line is a 32 rubbing on the derailleur cable if everything isn't pulled tight.

    There are pictures of some Devinci team members bikes with trunion mount djangos. I'd like to see if the Spartan rockers fit the Django. From what I can tell all the hardware is the same.

  69. #269
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    57
    Chainring clearance? I can run a 34t on my Django with a non boost SLX crankset. It's tight but there 1mm clearance to the derailleur cable.

    The new Troy 29er is likely to have a much more progressive linkage than the Django which on itself is a great upgrade since I found the linear-ish linkage of the Django to be quite limiting if, like me, you want good support without too much harshness or suppleness without bottoming out too easily...

  70. #270
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    192
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyMTB.fr View Post
    Chainring clearance? I can run a 34t on my Django with a non boost SLX crankset. It's tight but there 1mm clearance to the derailleur cable.

    The new Troy 29er is likely to have a much more progressive linkage than the Django which on itself is a great upgrade since I found the linear-ish linkage of the Django to be quite limiting if, like me, you want good support without too much harshness or suppleness without bottoming out too easily...
    Have you tried adding a spacer to the rear shock? I was having the same issue (bottoming out on decent hits at more than 20% sag) and added a volume spacer to the shock and it cured it. Now I can run lower pressure and not worry about bottoming out. I think I used the second smallest one Fox includes in the spacer kit.

  71. #271
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    57
    Yes, I have done that and it is indeed a step in the right direction. Thanks Toad!

  72. #272
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    192
    Now that I've had some time on the 2.6 Rekons, I thought I'd share some thoughts. For me it's a mixed bag. My first couple rides I didn't like them at all. The trails were soggy and they don't do particularly well on wet clay. I'd take the HR2/Ardent any day over the 2.6 Rekon in those conditions.

    As things dried up and became hero dirt, I started to moderate my opinion. They handle fairly well in ideal conditions, but the bike felt dulled when compared HR2/Ardent. I should have expected that, since I put a bunch of miles on 29x3 in the last year. I'm running them at about 16 front and 19 rear. I tried going down to 17 on the rear, but I burped sealant on a couple less than perfect landings. At any rate, I think I'd still prefer the HR2/Ardent in ideal conditions. This bike is so capable and I feel a little less precise on the Rekons.

    This past weekend, I rode in a mix of conditions, some parts of the trails were dry and dusty. I also rode an old quarry that's rockier than any other stuff around here. For me, that's where the 2.6 Rekons shine. They floated over the sandy spots, cornered well on the dusty hard pack, and really hooked up on the rocky and rooty climbs. I even managed a few PRs on some of the more technical climbs, which I attribute to the increased traction from the bigger rear tire. There's way less slippage from the Rekon when compared to the 2.25 Ardent.

    I think I'm going to leave them on for a while, but I'm also guessing that at some point I'll probably go back to a more traditional 2.3-2.4 setup. I feel like the ride characteristics I really like in the Django 29 are a bit muted with the bigger tires.

  73. #273
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2

    RESPONSE: THREE Observations about 'Smoke 'Em If You Got 'Em'

    Quote Originally Posted by paris View Post
    Large
    custom build
    xt/xtr build
    170 dropper
    130 pike pictured, just set it to 140 today
    only 1 ride, review soon
    Attachment 1120621
    What is your height? I'm a shade over 6' with a long torso and may have to buy this bike without a test ride. I currently ride a SC Tallboy 2 and it's a smidge too short for me on the reach, which I fixed with a longer stem, but would rather not have to do that this time around...

  74. #274
    Rider/Builder/Hacker
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    419
    Hey MTBR,
    I'm interested in locating a gloss Silver Django carbon 29 frame in medium for my next build. Either new or excellent used condition. Please contact me via PM.
    Thanks!

  75. #275
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    914
    Quote Originally Posted by carbine_275 View Post
    Hey MTBR,
    I'm interested in locating a gloss Silver Django carbon 29 frame in medium for my next build. Either new or excellent used condition. Please contact me via PM.
    Thanks!
    Didn't find the 2018 silver frame, but did see evo has a complete bike 2017 slx/xt black and white for around $3500. Sell off the parts you don't want, and build that one up, if that color's ok.

    Otherwise, I'd say check with Velorangutan and see what he might have. He was very helpful in getting me my medium blue/orange frame last season around this time, for a decent price too. I'd say go to his website, but it appears to be under construction, and none of the links work.

  76. #276
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    123
    I just built up a Django 29 frame with parts from a previous bike and had my first ride on it today. My Pike is currently set at 150, but I am thinking I need to reduce it.

    If it were my one bike, the 150 fork would be ideal. But I also have a Norco Range 29 so I'm hoping for sharper handling. With the 150 fork, I need to think about keeping on top of the front end both on technical climbs and while cornering. I think a shorter fork would make the bike more intuitive for its intended use.

    So here's the question - do I want to drop the Pike to 140 or 130?

  77. #277
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    192
    If you're looking for sharper handling, the bike does really well at 130. I haven't ridden it at 140, I have the air shaft for my Fox 34, but I like the way it rides at 130 so well that I haven't installed it. I find it as playful as any 29er I've ever ridden with the 130 front. The handling isn't as quick as an XC bike, but it's not bad, and there's still enough travel to save your bacon if you're not ridiculously outside of your skills. Obviously Devinci thinks 140 is perfectly suited to the bike too, since that's what they've been selling for the last couple years.

    If I had a Range 29, I'd definitely go to 130 with the Django, just for a little more separation. The A-C on the Fox at 130 is about 537mm, 547mm at 140, not sure how that compares to the Pike, but that would play into my decision too.

  78. #278
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by SlipperyToad View Post
    If you're looking for sharper handling, the bike does really well at 130. I haven't ridden it at 140, I have the air shaft for my Fox 34, but I like the way it rides at 130 so well that I haven't installed it. I find it as playful as any 29er I've ever ridden with the 130 front. The handling isn't as quick as an XC bike, but it's not bad, and there's still enough travel to save your bacon if you're not ridiculously outside of your skills. Obviously Devinci thinks 140 is perfectly suited to the bike too, since that's what they've been selling for the last couple years.

    If I had a Range 29, I'd definitely go to 130 with the Django, just for a little more separation. The A-C on the Fox at 130 is about 537mm, 547mm at 140, not sure how that compares to the Pike, but that would play into my decision too.
    Thanks, this is good info. I agree with you; I'm leaning toward 130. My Pike A-C is 551 in 140 and 541 in 130, so just slightly longer than your Fox.

  79. #279
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,197
    Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    Thanks, this is good info. I agree with you; I'm leaning toward 130. My Pike A-C is 551 in 140 and 541 in 130, so just slightly longer than your Fox.
    On a somewhat related note, I stayed 130 and installed a Works Component -1 headset. I wanted the seat angle steep as possible. It's a claimed 75 STA in high position (never got along with it in low even after 6 months hard use), and with the 130 F34 it's claimed 67.5 HTA. Not slack by relative comparison, but the $85 headset made a huge difference in high speed cornering and stability without affecting MY climbing like the 74.5 or slacker seat tube does. Going to a 140 fork would've decreased the 75 seat angle.

  80. #280
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    123
    After a few more rides, I think I'm sticking with 150. The handling is plenty sharp (head angle is still 'only' 67 degrees in low), and I like the stability on the rougher trails we have here in Coastal BC. With the geometry and relatively short rear travel, the bike is quite poppy and efficient. And after going back and forth with my Range 29, the two bikes definitely have distinct strengths and weaknesses and don't overlap too much.

  81. #281
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    192
    Anyone still riding their Django? After 2.5 years, I'm still loving the bike. This year I replaced all the pivot bearings because I had a creaking that showed up. At first I thought it was the BB because it shows up when pedaling, so I put in one of the dual row enduro bearings. Great BB, but it didn't fix the issue.

    Replacing all the pivot bearings did fix my issue, but yesterday I managed to create it again. It happened on a poor landing - I was a little off center and came down pretty hard leaning left on the rear end. The creak was back immediately. I'm glad to know what causes it now (before I figured it just developed over time), but not super happy that I'm going to have to take things apart again. I hope to figure out which pivot/bearing is the culprit this time. I just wanted to check to see if anyone else has encountered an issue like this? I'll post a follow-up once I figure out what's going on.

  82. #282
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    192
    Just a quick update... I started with the rocker arms and found the problem right away. I must not have torqued the shock bolt on the rocker. It was loose, but of course I had already pulled bolts from the seatstay and center pivots. So I went ahead and cleaned the grime off things and checked the bearings. I was surprised at how much grease had already run out of the brand new bearings, so I picked off the seals and filled them back up before putting things back together and making sure everything was torqued to spec.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. 2017 Devinci Marshall. (Hendrix Rename)
    By Velorangutan in forum Devinci
    Replies: 102
    Last Post: 08-08-2018, 03:23 AM
  2. Devinci Django 29
    By Velorangutan in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-18-2017, 10:23 PM
  3. Devinci django?
    By spoker247 in forum Devinci
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-10-2016, 01:19 PM
  4. 2017 Trek Fuel EX 29er
    By Geocyclist in forum Trek
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-29-2016, 08:57 AM
  5. Devinci 2017
    By zepplin758 in forum Devinci
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-12-2016, 05:50 PM

Members who have read this thread: 75

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.