2016 Devinci Troy- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011

2016 Devinci Troy

Hey guys, I'm excited as everyone else to get my hands on a new troy. Wanted to start a thread on what people are saying and what fork lengths people are going to put on the new model. I have a 160mm fox 36 I might set it up with but worries about the geo changing and the ride quality diminishing. Post up.

mtbr member
    Stock builds are with a 150mm RS Pike (542mm axle to crown) and your 160mm 36 has a 549mm axle to crown. So a minimal difference - less than .5 degree head angle change and probably a few mm's of BB height change. I think anything in the 150-160mm range on the Troy works well. I used a 140mm for a short bit and it was definitely too short/not ideal.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Has anyone seen the 2016's in person yet? Is Devinci still going with the 3k weave over uni on the carbon models?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogboy View Post
    Stock builds are with a 150mm RS Pike (542mm axle to crown) and your 160mm 36 has a 549mm axle to crown. So a minimal difference - less than .5 degree head angle change and probably a few mm's of BB height change. I think anything in the 150-160mm range on the Troy works well. I used a 140mm for a short bit and it was definitely too short/not ideal.
    Haven't seen them in person but saw pics recently on dirtmountainbike. Two color options, white and green.
    Quote Originally Posted by XyesterdayX View Post
    Has anyone seen the 2016's in person yet? Is Devinci still going with the 3k weave over uni on the carbon models?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    This video popped up. No new info, but we finally get a decent look at the blk/wht color scheme. Now show us the green!

2016 Devinci Troy Preview | 2015 Eurobike

Big Test Icycles
    I like the updates to the Troy but the Boost standard rules it out for me. I'm in the market for a new frame but not new wheels.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'm on the same boat. I really really want it but the boost options are so limited. I love spank wheels and just heard directly from them boost is not coming out soon. Only true options are chappy sram wheels, custom set with hope pro 4 (just announced) or i9 hubs or their own wheel sets.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    This video popped up. No new info, but we finally get a decent look at the blk/wht color scheme. Now show us the green!

2016 Devinci Troy Preview | 2015 Eurobike
    Pic of the green. Looks really sweet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by marathon dave View Post
    I'm on the same boat. I really really want it but the boost options are so limited. I love spank wheels and just heard directly from them boost is not coming out soon. Only true options are chappy sram wheels, custom set with hope pro 4 (just announced) or i9 hubs or their own wheel sets.
    What is the difference between Pro 2s and Pro 4s? Im okay with the Pro2 Evo 40t I have on my DH bike plus the price I get them for is correct. All my other bikes use 240s and one set of 350s. My friend has been running I9 classic hubs on his DH bikes for a few years now without issue, price may be my issue.

I have zero 650b bikes so rear hub spacing isn't so much an issue. I was looking hard at the Aurum with its 142x12 rear spacing as it would allow myself to swap wheelsets if and when I went 650b. The 650b Operator is coming with Boost 148 so that is a possibility as well.

I likely could get a 16 Trance Advanced 1 complete for the price of a Troy frame/fork but those 17.3" CS are the same as my V10C. Plus I would have to order a 36 for the stock 34 (Had a 34 on my Chromag, switched to 36 when they came out)

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Pic of the green. Looks really sweet.

Thanks Dave! I'm in. I want it. Will be going for the RS model in Green if everything lines up for me.

mtbr member
    No 3k weave on the white/black. The green/black is gloss but I've only seen the picture in the dealer book, so not sure on that one. I will say that you have to see the new bike in person to appreciate just how different it looks - much burlier, beefed up everywhere. Looks awesome.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks Dave! I'm in. I want it. Will be going for the RS model in Green if everything lines up for me.
    I would love to pull the trigger but as I'm trying to build a frame up the wheels is my biggest concern. Need to do more research. Another thing for me to look into is whether my current next sl cranks and raceface n/W ring will work with the boost chain line. Dam you sram!!

mtbr member
    I would love to pull the trigger but as I'm trying to build a frame up the wheels is my biggest concern. Need to do more research. Another thing for me to look into is whether my current next sl cranks and raceface n/W ring will work with the boost chain line. Dam you sram!!

Your cranks will work fine. Your chainline won't be optimal with your current ring, but it will probably work.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I finally pulled the trigger. Getting the green/black troy, dvo diamond all blacked out and i9 enduro wheels. Can't wait.

JNG
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Your cranks will work fine. Your chainline won't be optimal with your current ring, but it will probably work.
    I contacted Raceface to see if the Next SL with the single direct mount chainring will work with the Boost 148. SRAM has a 49mm chainline and it would have to be moved 3mm more outboard to work (52mm chainline is ideal). The NextSL direct mount chainline is 51mm and according to Raceface will work perfectly with 148 Boost.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    That's great news. Race face. You're the best

JNG
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Hey guys, I'm excited as everyone else to get my hands on a new troy. Wanted to start a thread on what people are saying and what fork lengths people are going to put on the new model. I have a 160mm fox 36 I might set it up with but worries about the geo changing and the ride quality diminishing. Post up.
    I am currently riding a Norco Sight Carbon with a 150mm Pike. I've done some calculating and figure a 160mm Pike on the 2016 Troy would give a bottom bracket height of 341mm which is exactly the same as my Sight. The head tube angle would be 66.4 degrees on the Troy with a 160mm Pike. My Norco is 66.9. My Norco handles like a dream. The new Troy has shorter chain stays, a longer top tube and would only be 1/2 degree slacker.

I am probably going to get a Troy frame and outfit it with a 160mm Pike and Cane Creek DB Air with climbswitch and use it as an Enduro bike that can double as a trail bike for when my Norco Sight is out of commission for repairs/adjustment/service.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    JNG- have you looked at Devinci's Spartan? That may be more up your alley for an enduring rig. My impression is that the Troy and Norco Sight are very similar (but I have not ridden a Sight), and you would just end up adding competition for your current bike rather than offsetting your collection with a more burly/enduro style bike. Just my 2 cents.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    2016 models are now up on Devinci.com

...and the green carbon RS is gonna look beautiful in my stable...

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Anybody know the best place where one can demo one of these near northern California?

mtbr member
    There are a dealer in NorCal, called hell bent motorcycles. I hope that is correct. They are in Hollister. We are a dealer but not mentioned on their site though. We are in Bakersfield and called Boards and Bikes.
    2015 Devinci Troy Carbon

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by danmtchl View Post
    There are a dealer in NorCal, called hell bent motorcycles. I hope that is correct. They are in Hollister. We are a dealer but not mentioned on their site though. We are in Bakersfield and called Boards and Bikes.
    Umm, the Hell Bent Motorcycles website looks to me like they have nothing to do with bicycles. Did you mean to point to something else?

mtbr member
    Here are the dealers in NorCal. Hellbent is a real dealer. If you look at their website, there is a section that says DH/FR biking.

Danville Bikes
    175 Hartz Ave
    Danville, California, USA

Blisworks Bikes
    340 East Covell Blvd ste.107
    Davis, California, USA
    Blisworks Bikes, Davis, California.

Auburn Bike Company
    13122 Lincoln Way
    Auburn, California, USA
    Auburn Bike Company | Bike Shop in Auburn, California

The Hub Bicycles
    2500 Jerfferson
    Napa, California, USA
    The Hub Napa

HellBent Motorcycles
    2540 San Juan Hollister Rd.
    Hollister, California, USA
    hellbentmotorcycles.com - Home

Velo San Francisco
    182 12th Ave
    San Francisco, California, USA
    2015 Devinci Troy Carbon

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Any recent 2016 Troy shop sitings in the states?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Troy are getting produced on 10/15, prob wont see them until end of october, beginning of november.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Troy are getting produced on 10/15, prob wont see them until end of october, beginning of november.
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Heard that production is being pushed back, first batch in December which is already sold out. Next best shot is February for some.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Heard that production is being pushed back, first batch in December which is already sold out. Next best shot is February for some.
    Boooooo!!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    That's why I cancelled the order and went with a knolly endorphin 27.5

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Anyone know a good online source to order a 2016 frame from?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    It looks like fanatik has the 2016 Spartan frames, you might want to check with them or Colorado Cycl. as to the availability of the 16 Troy frames.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I just ordered a 2016 Troy and Pike from Velorangutan in Austin TX. I live in Florida but there aren't any dealers in the state and Wes from Velorangutan has helped me with a previous Devinci Atlas purchase. Gave me a great price both times and shipped them quickly. I would suggest if you are looking for a place to order online or are close enough to visit their shop you give him your business.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by qbngringo View Post
    I just ordered a 2016 Troy and Pike from Velorangutan in Austin TX. I live in Florida but there aren't any dealers in the state and Wes from Velorangutan has helped me with a previous Devinci Atlas purchase. Gave me a great price both times and shipped them quickly. I would suggest if you are looking for a place to order online or are close enough to visit their shop you give him your business.
    Nice, congrats! Got my 2015 from Wes and he's since become my first stop when I need parts or tools. Great guy and shop.

mtbr member
    The 2016 Troy was just reviewed in Bike's 2016 Bible of Bikes test. They seem to like it and have some interesting observations about it.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    May 2010
    The frame arrived yesterday and a few parts were put on it already. It sure is burly and beautiful. Wheels and handlebars are the only items holding the build up now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2016 Devinci Troy-20160201_190646.jpg  

2016 Devinci Troy-20160202_001954.jpg  

2016 Devinci Troy-20160202_002029.jpg  

2016 Devinci Troy-20160202_002057.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Just had a medium aluminum frame dropped off. 8.0 lbs according to the super accurate bathroom scale weighing method.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    The 2016 Troy was just reviewed in Bike's 2016 Bible of Bikes test. They seem to like it and have some interesting observations about it.
    Take a look at the Blister Gear review too... they loved it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Take a look at the Blister Gear review too... they loved it.
    I feel like the Vital review is going to be good. Looking forward to it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Yes. and they are being so slow with the reports. Annoying

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

got my Large Troy

Got mine on monday and finished build that night and have 3 rides on it.
    Bike freaking rips! I set my sag around 32-33% and its so progressive at end of stroke i couldnt bottom shock out even on 15-20ft doubles and through rough rock sections at high speeds. The rear end is so stiff and corners into berms better than any trail bike I've ridden. It's also really well balanced when in air on jumps. Some shorter travel bikes feel awkward when jumping with steeper angles and lack of travel for pre loading. This bike really doesn't feel like it's in that 5010 or sb5 travel categorie. I'm blown away on how capable this bike is for a 140mm trail bike, I hit everything i hit on my spartan and i seriously have no idea when im going to grab spartan to go out for ride unless its park riding or shuttle dh days. Im not very good at writing good detailed ride reviews as im a high school drop out,haha! Ive ridden alot of bikes over last 3 years trying to find best trail bike that is playful but not twitchy and sketchy and high speeds in rougher terrain. It rides like my evil uprising did which i loved but was over the issues and flimsy rear end and bolt/bearing issues. All i can say is so far it rips and when pushed hard it gets even more fun and poppy! I had a chance to try out the new rfx 4.0 and it rides very similar to it, which i also loved. The crazy thing is that it feels just as capable as it and its a 160mm plus the troy climbs a tad better. The new added length in toptube is spot on, the older troy in large for me being 6ft was way to small. I was planning on getting a rfx or evil insurgent. The RFX was a great feeling suspension and cornered so well, I cant say anything but good stuff about the new rfx. but i felt both of those would be to close to my spartan so i went went with troy and i was pleasantly surprised how its so close to a legit enduro bike if wanted to be used as such but climbs so good like a trail/all mtn bike. Im not a big forum guy and never post but felt i had to since bike is blowing my mind,haha! Bike came in at 29lbs 2016 Devinci Troy-img_0118.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2016 Devinci Troy-img_0166.jpg  

Last edited by fedup2; 02-04-2016 at 12:38 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    is the chainstay carbon also?

mtbr member
    Beautiful bikes!

I'm just trying to decide on color...I think I like the carbon/green but would prefer a matte finish like on the white one.

Do you think the decal on the seatstay is removable? Just a little too much white going on there.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    No the decal doesn't look easily removable. It isn't just a sticker you can peal off, however it is on top of the carbon so it is possible (probably would void warranty though).

I agree I would have preferred to have less white on the frame but it looks great in person still. The Black and Green frame has TROY written in grey on the seatstay so it is much more subtle but like you I wanted the carbon color not gloss black.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Rear rotor is temporary while I wait for a 180/IS adapter to get here.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    It came out beautiful! I really like the color combo. Let us know the weight if you can and how it performs when you get to take it on a trail.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    From my posting on Ridemonkey -

Busted out a bunch of laps this morning

Early impressions-

They nailed the rear suspension. Feels bottomless without getting harsh deep in the travel. Loading up the rear is like pulling back on a wind up toy, unloading out of corners induces hoots and motorcycle noises. If I didn't know the amount of travel I'd think it was 160mm, and I never think that about a bike.

It's super poppy off lips.

Pedals well, very consistent sitting or standing with the shock wide open. Not as immediate as the SB-75 it's replacing, but very good.

Very maneuverable, it'll be great on tight trails. Not as super stable at speed as the SB-75 was.

The frame of mind this thing puts me in when riding is like I'm on an '03 RFX/Titus Quasimoto. It makes me want to go look for hucks to flat and fat trail gaps. My brain does not think trail bike when I'm riding this thing.
    As for weight, I don't have a good scale to weigh it with. If I had to guess I'd say 30/31 lbs. The build isn't optimized for weight at all.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinoymr05 View Post
    is the chainstay carbon also?
    The chainstays are alloy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    Post up the link.

And the others as well

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    It looks like the carbon frame already comes fitted with a headset, does anybody know what size the frame head tube is (internal diameters) as I would like to fit a 1 degree angled headset to compensate for a longer 160mm fork.
    I ask as I have read some Devinci frames have larger lower cup sizes than the std ZS56, ie 68mm OD - 62mm ID ??

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Think I found the answer to my own question, Fanatik quote headset as ZS44 / ZS62.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    ^ I can't seem to find any Works Components headsets in that lower cup size

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by PUNKY View Post
    ^ I can't seem to find any Works Components headsets in that lower cup size
    Might have to contact Works directly otherwise Freeborn bike shop has them listed, appear to be 1.5 degree only. Post up if you have any joy.

mtbr member
    Well, I decided to go with green. Looks great in person and matches my Sweep fork.

2016 Devinci Troy-uploadfromtaptalk1455818613425.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by wankel View Post
    Well, I decided to go with green. Looks great in person and matches my Sweep fork.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1455818613425.jpg 
Views:	1131 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	1050912
    Looks great Wankel! Want this one myself...

mtbr member
    Anyone have any ideas on what to use for a downtube protector? The downtube on this thing is massively wide. Surprised it didn't come with some sort of guard like the Spartan does.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Anyone have any ideas on what to use for a downtube protector? The downtube on this thing is massively wide. Surprised it didn't come with some sort of guard like the Spartan does.
    Mine (2015 build kit) came with Lizard Skins protectors:
    Amazon.com : Lizard Skins Carbon Leather Downtube Protector : Bike Accessories : Sports & Outdoors

They aren't rigid but feel good enough that I haven't worried about anything more (except an ISCG bash guard), and we have a LOT of rocks and ledges.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I would've said a Rock Guardz but they don't do Devinci it seems. The 3M paint protector tape works great as well.

mtbr member
    Wow these look so nice! - whats the frame weight of the carbon?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cykelk View Post
    Mine (2015 build kit) came with Lizard Skins protectors:
    Amazon.com : Lizard Skins Carbon Leather Downtube Protector : Bike Accessories : Sports & Outdoors

They aren't rigid but feel good enough that I haven't worried about anything more (except an ISCG bash guard), and we have a LOT of rocks and ledges.
    I also found this one for Cube frames. It's a little wider at the bottom which would fit better on the Troy:
    Cube Stone Guard Carbon | Protection (Frames & Stays) Shop

Looks like Crankskins also has some nice wide clear ones that could trimmed to fit nicely:
    https://crankskins.myshopify.com/col...-by-crankskins

I've already applied some of this Gorilla Clear Repair Tape | Crystal-Clear Tape Perfect for Any Repair | Waterproof to the seatstays, but want something thicker for the downtube.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    great thread....I have a couple of questions for you all....first of all to change to a 160mm fork do I need to change the headset or just switch it out?

secondly does anyone know how wide of a tire you can run on the troy? I know it comes with 2.35/2.4 can you run 2.5? .8? 3.0?? in to a plus tire situation??

I am going back and forth between this bike and the spartan, so these reviews are great. thanks all

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Fedup2 great review...I hope you check back often enough to asnwer some questions....I am curious to have your views as you have a spartan and a troy....I am right now trying to choose between those two.

so here is my situation...my wife and i are both looking for new bikes this spring....in the next couple weeks actually. She loves the troy and is a perfect bike for her...and really more bike than she (or perhaps even me) would ever need.....but I am trying to decide if I should get 2 troys or get a spartan and a troy....here is the best part though...we ride the same size of frame...so in essence I am getting 2 bikes haha.

Here is why i am considering the spartan as well...I travel a lot for work through out alberta and bc...this allows me to take my bike a long and ride some amazing trails and parks....I am not anyone who goes huge...but I do like to go fast and i really like riding at resorts. I am also a bigger rider....not in height but in weight lol..i am around 200-210lbs and just wondering if the added squish of the spartan will do better for me or if the troy will stand up to that ok?

I know the spartan will not climb as well as the troy but i am no climbing stud anyways so that may not make a difference?? haha..I know I keep talking myself in circles but just looking for a bit of real world owners experiences.

will the Troy hold up to multiple resort days?? I am good to my bikes and enjoy regular maintenance etc.

am I silly to not get one of each??

should I just get 2 troys?

I'm fairly certain that if I was only getting one bike I would go with the Troy...but seeing as how I can get two that is why I keep going back to the spartan and the troy....build a bit of a stable....thoughts??

thanks all for the advice

mtbr member
    To change a Pike to 160mm you just need to replace the air shaft with a longer one. Takes about 30 min and $50.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    To change a Pike to 160mm you just need to replace the air shaft with a longer one. Takes about 30 min and $50.

thanks travis...not sure why I didn't realize this lol

hmmmm I only seem to be able to find a 160mm upgrade for a 26" wheel.....anyone have a link for a 160mm airshaft for a 27.5 wheel?

mtbr member
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheClash View Post
    thanks travis...not sure why I didn't realize this lol

hmmmm I only seem to be able to find a 160mm upgrade for a 26" wheel.....anyone have a link for a 160mm airshaft for a 27.5 wheel?
    Jenson will special order it for you

160mm airspring FK232E01 is there part number. It was about $39 from them.

Sent from my LGLS660 using Tapatalk
    It's just a flesh wound!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I posted a full review on Ridemonkey - 2016 Devinci Troy Write-Up | Ridemonkey Forums

mtbr member
    Excellent.

I've been on my Troy for over two years now, got if from the man, Wes at Velorangutan. I'm 5-11 and ride a medium because I really like how maneuverable and responsive it is, given Austin's tight terrain. However, at speed, and not even super fast speeds, it's twitchy, which I've gotten used to. I'm thinking maybe some extra top tube/reach stability is in order, but I'd hate to loose the responsiveness I get out of it.

Does anyone have lots of experience riding both the "old" and the new frame in the same size? How does the slow speed handling work given the much longer top tube?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Fancied trying the Troy but the UK frame price has now jumped up twice in the last 3 weeks (up 20% on original price). ie since when I first tried to buy one and was told they were out of stock, would need to wait for the next shipment, which has now been put back another 4 weeks. Life's too short and I can't save fast enough to keep up with the price hikes...
    Don't really see Devinci around here, suppose that's going to continue as far as I'm concerned.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BritPOP View Post
    Fancied trying the Troy but the UK frame price has now jumped up twice in the last 3 weeks (up 20% on original price). ie since when I first tried to buy one and was told they were out of stock, would need to wait for the next shipment, which has now been put back another 4 weeks. Life's too short and I can't save fast enough to keep up with the price hikes...
    Don't really see Devinci around here, suppose that's going to continue as far as I'm concerned.

Was in the same position as you dude. At the original price it was a great option.. now its moved up in price twice its less attractive and im looking elsewhere.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    has anyone taken their troy to resorts? I plan on riding fernie, whistler, silverstar and whitefish this year..i would say between 5-10 trips in total. I just do not want to beat my troy up too bad. I rode a few resorts last year on my giant trance x advanced and just felt under gunned and it really beat my bike up...I am not a super shredder or anything.....but speed and flow are my friends...thoughts? anyone riding their troy on blue to light black runs at resorts often? how is it holding up?

anyone ride Half nelson in squamish often on a troy?....how does it handle that trail?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

looks beautiful...just curious if anyone knows or has ordered a complete bike from devinci...does it come with the BB installed or will i need to have a press ready to go for when it arrives?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I live in the Okanagan and did a demo, a guy has one in our group. We ride all over the province and race Enduro. The bike is way capable to pound in the park on black all day long. Get some maxxis DD and theres really nothing it can't handle. It's such a stout strong frame that loves to be pushed. You are all good !

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Starkhünd View Post
    I live in the Okanagan and did a demo, a guy has one in our group. We ride all over the province and race Enduro. The bike is way capable to pound in the park on black all day long. Get some maxxis DD and theres really nothing it can't handle. It's such a stout strong frame that loves to be pushed. You are all good !

wow this is great info....love riding in your area BTW.....my only worry is that I am a heavier rider....over 200lbs loaded with my gear...knowing this would you still say i am good to go on the troy or would you say i should jump on the spartan?

mtbr member
    looks beautiful...just curious if anyone knows or has ordered a complete bike from devinci...does it come with the BB installed or will i need to have a press ready to go for when it arrives?
    BB will need to be pressed in.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    thank you sir

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    The Sparten is a whole different bike, That's like comparing the Bronson v2 with the Nomad. That's the difference between the 2. One side of the spectrum you have bikes that love to be pumped, pop off features, smash corners, they ride on top of the rough stuff. Spartan and Nomad are much more planted and plough through the shit. IMO the spartan is to much bike for your majority of riding. I'm 200 geared up and have a GT Sanction which I raced last year and Bronson v2 I just finished building. I'm going to use the Sanction for park now and race the B in the Canadian Enduro companionship . If you have the $ email PUSH and tell them to tune an 11.6 and you will have a bike, that you probably will never reach it's full potential. I get mine next week. The shock is expensive but its a game changer, also you can move it to any frame. You will save $ in the long run

ELEVENSIX Shock - PUSH Industries

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Starkhünd View Post
    The Sparten is a whole different bike, That's like comparing the Bronson v2 with the Nomad. That's the difference between the 2. One side of the spectrum you have bikes that love to be pumped, pop off features, smash corners, they ride on top of the rough stuff. Spartan and Nomad are much more planted and plough through the shit. IMO the spartan is to much bike for your majority of riding. I'm 200 geared up and have a GT Sanction which I raced last year and Bronson v2 I just finished building. I'm going to use the Sanction for park now and race the B in the Canadian Enduro companionship . If you have the $ email PUSH and tell them to tune an 11.6 and you will have a bike, that you probably will never reach it's full potential. I get mine next week. The shock is expensive but its a game changer, also you can move it to any frame. You will save $ in the long run

ELEVENSIX Shock - PUSH Industries
    I agree it isn't a fair or real comparison...but i like your referral to the nomad and the bronson as i have spent time on each....and I liked each for different reasons but to be honest I still felt a little too.....i don't even know the word......i just wasn't blown away by the bronson. it was a fantastic bike but i never felt like it was blowing me away but i loved the nomad however I am not convinced I would love the nomad all the time lol...i am terrible at this...i talk myself in circles.

How do you think the troy would perform with stock suspension at silverstar?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    The '16 Troy has a smooth and highly progressive rate; it can take very big hits without harsh bottoming and generally keep up it's speed but you'll get tired quicker than on longer travel bike. I haven't ridden Silverstar but if you've ridden Whistler Bike Park I think I'd have a lot of fun riding my Troy on trails like Angry Pirate.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    that is a fun trail and a good yard stick for what I ride mostly....thanks for the info

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    is this something a regular guy with a decent amount of mechanical aptitude can do (proper tools of course) or should I be taking it in to my LBS to have it done?

mtbr member
    is this something a regular guy with a decent amount of mechanical aptitude can do (proper tools of course) or should I be taking it in to my LBS to have it done?
    It's pretty straightforward. Having the proper tools is pretty important - the non drive-side surface around the BB is pretty flat, so I'd press that side first. All that said it's fairly high consequence if you mess it up, so assuming you trust the LBS it's worth considering taking it in.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    sound advice Dogboy for sure. thank you.

mtbr member
    Got my 2016 Troy frame together this week. Just one ride on it so far, but it's feeling pretty good.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    that looks fantastic

bog
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Got my 2016 Troy frame together this week. Just one ride on it so far, but it's feeling pretty good.
    Absolutely awesome build. Hit us with a ride report ASAP - the good and the not-so-good.
    Tallboy3c : Stigmata2 : Hightower LT

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BritPOP View Post
    Think I found the answer to my own question, Fanatik quote headset as ZS44 / ZS62.
    According to the Cane Creek headset finder the 2016 uses a standard zs44/zs56 while the 2015 used a 44/52.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Anyone know the reverb length use on the medium

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Has anyone weighed their Troy Carbon frame by any chance?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Large Troy with rear shock, headset cups pressed in and frame tape is 6 lb.s 13 oz.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Thanks, sounds good considering how beefy the frame looks.

Does it have a PM160 or a PM180 brake mount btw?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by badIuck View Post
    Thanks, sounds good considering how beefy the frame looks.

Does it have a PM160 or a PM180 brake mount btw?
    Its a 160 post mount.

mtbr member
    Why do so many pics show yellow when it's called green?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NHMB View Post
    Good question. There's a little green in the color, but it's mostly yellow.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    It's like one of those yellow/green colours where people argue if its neon yellow or lime green.

Looks a bit greener in person than it does on most pictures but if I had to choose I'd say its yellow.

Did your frames come with some kind of foam hose as well? Am I supposed to use it for the internal cable routing in order to prevent rattling or something? Is it necessary?

mtbr member
    It is definitely more of a chartreuse yellow in person:

Name:  dfff00.png
Views: 3413
Size:  107 Bytes

Matches the yellow on my Xfusion sweep fork almost perfectly.

mtbr member
    The only thing I wish the troy has is a threaded bb :-\

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    The only thing I wish the troy has is a threaded bb :-\
    Have you had any problems with the bb so far? How did you guys install it? Scott told me to install the pf bb on my Scott Scale dry eit no lube or anything at all and it has been absolutely creakfree.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Really interested in this bike, any big guys riding it? 200 lbs here. It's been reported as being a stiff frame, curious about what sort of pressures needed in the rear shock.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Since it only uses an 50mm stroke shock and to my knowledge the frame doesnt even use the full stroke of the shock when going through its whole 140mm of travel (or has anyone been able to compress his shock all the way?), shock pressures are fairly high.
    If I remember correctly I had to ride well over 200psi at a bit under 70kg.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Air pressures run high in the DebonAir cans. I run 225 psi at 180 lbs / 80 kg geared up. I played around above and below that and settled in there (2015 frame). What I've read before is to add 40-50 psi to your geared riding weight (in pounds) as a starting point. The max pressure for the shock is 350psi.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I haven't shed my winter weight yet and am riding at ~190lbs geared up. I've tried everything from 30-40% sag and have settled on 35% which is ~195 PSI on my pump using the stock amount of spacers. Even on head high drops to transition I'm not getting any harsh bottoming.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by djjohnr View Post
    I haven't shed my winter weight yet and am riding at ~190lbs geared up. I've tried everything from 30-40% sag and have settled on 35% which is ~195 PSI on my pump using the stock amount of spacers. Even on head high drops to transition I'm not getting any harsh bottoming.
    I was curious if the 2016 would be different due to the more progressive linkage rate. Also note from my info - I err on firm over plush because our terrain requires a lot of punchy pedaling.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Parking lot tested the new Troy today. I asked the guy about bearing life and he said 2 years on his older Troy and they are ok still, which is great news. I weigh 215 right now. He started me at 210psi in the rear shock, but it wasn't nearly enough. We got to 35% sag at somewhere above 210psi. I didn't get the exact number. But once we got the sag in the ballpark, man it felt REALLY good. Charged off a few dirt piles behind the shop and it felt great. The progressivity of the rear was clearly apparent landing from the air. And this is stiffest frame laterally I have ever seen. It doesn't flex at all! Super plush feeling suspension action, but still good pop for jumping stuff. Rear is short for easy manual action, and it had little to no bob seated in the low gears. What a ripper! It feels like trail desTROYer!! I am shocked how good it felt. I am buying one as soon as I can.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I'm 195 geared up and riding around 280 psi in the shock.

Frame has been stiff and fun as **** so far. I raced an enduro over the weekend full of step downs and high speed hits and have yet to bottom the bike out at 30% sag.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The split pivots tend to be less bobby and more firm compared to my knolly which bobs a little to much for my liking but not enough to stop loving the ride

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Anyone else running race face cranks? What size rings are you able to do?

I've got a 32 tooth ring on sixc cranks right now and as hoping to put a 34 on for some days, but the clearance is less than ~1mm, not sure if I trust it...

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    The VitalMTB Review is up. Can anyone confirm/not confirm this description:

"On a few instances while jumping into rocky sections we noted a slight tugging sensation and the bike seemed to get hung up a bit"

I love jumping into roots and rocks so this would be intersting to me.
    My guess is that this could be prevented by using fewer "bottomless rings" and instead increase the pressure and set it up to about 25-30% sag?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I've got mine at 30% sag and haven't felt it behave that way in a major way. If I really think about it, there may be a slight hang here and there, but I'm not convinced it wasn't bad line choice.

35% would get you some great small bump compliance, but for me, 30% feels really good. I need to do a bit more experimenting to see where my sweet spot is. 25% could ride overly harsh.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I wish I could try mine out... I have torn a ligament in my thumb two days after my frame arrived, havent ridden it yet and still about 5 weeks to go with my injury...

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    The VitalMTB Review is up. Can anyone confirm/not confirm this description:

"On a few instances while jumping into rocky sections we noted a slight tugging sensation and the bike seemed to get hung up a bit"

I love jumping into roots and rocks so this would be intersting to me.
    My guess is that this could be prevented by using fewer "bottomless rings" and instead increase the pressure and set it up to about 25-30% sag?
    I haven't felt any noticeable amount of hang compared to other bikes I've owned, and I've had a few that I did feel had that trait. The rear feels like it has a lot more travel than it does in the rough, and if you're comparing it back to back with a 160 bike you may run into more hang just because of how much deeper you are into the travel.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anospa View Post
    I've got mine at 30% sag and haven't felt it behave that way in a major way. If I really think about it, there may be a slight hang here and there, but I'm not convinced it wasn't bad line choice.

35% would get you some great small bump compliance, but for me, 30% feels really good. I need to do a bit more experimenting to see where my sweet spot is. 25% could ride overly harsh.
    I agree with this. I'm running mine at a little over 30%, but shy of 35%. I feel like 25% wouldn't yield anything positive. I'm not riding hyper rocky stuff like Geronimo at South Mountain, but it's moderately rocky and rooty locally and I haven't experienced anything unreasonable with hanging up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Strongly considering this bike. Between this and a 5010/Bronson. Was actually looking at the 5010 and the guy told me he thought the Troy was a better bike overall. He said it doesn't pedal as efficiently but was better for technical climbing. I do like descending but since in Colorado you have to climb a lot, don't want a hog for the climbs. I know people may be slightly biased here but anyone have any two cents you guys can throw in?

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    As far as trailbikes go the Troy does lean more towards the "enduro" type of bikes. I think its the perfect do it all bike for (ex-) downhillers and people who have access to fast and steep trails/bikeparks etc.
    It's like an endurobike for people who focus on fun instead of racing, compared to the 5010 which is better suited for all day epics, pedalling and less rowdy terrain (although not comparable to true XC bikes, it's still very fun on the downs).
    On the downside a 5010 is not going to be nearly as confidence inspiring and planted downhill.

If you're going to ride flowy, not so steep trails I would probably consider a more agile bike like the 5010. If you like to hammer your bike downhill but it should still be comfortable to pedal on long rides, get a Troy. The nice thing about the Troy is that its still fairly flickable and easy to manual/bunnyhop compared to "real" 160mm endurobikes, but not as much as the 5010.
    You probably got my point

Bronson is kinda inbetween 5010/Troy but much more comparable to the Troy.

I have only ridden those bikes for about 2h each though, maybe there is someone with a bit more experience on them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Ok, so with 2 reports we have one guy at 190 lbs running 195 psi, and another guy at 195 lbs running 280 psi? Seems a pretty big disparity there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    As far as trailbikes go the Troy does lean more towards the "enduro" type of bikes. I think its the perfect do it all bike for (ex-) downhillers and people who have access to fast and steep trails/bikeparks etc.
    It's like an endurobike for people who focus on fun instead of racing, compared to the 5010 which is better suited for all day epics, pedalling and less rowdy terrain (although not comparable to true XC bikes, it's still very fun on the downs).
    On the downside a 5010 is not going to be nearly as confidence inspiring and planted downhill.

If you're going to ride flowy, not so steep trails I would probably consider a more agile bike like the 5010. If you like to hammer your bike downhill but it should still be comfortable to pedal on long rides, get a Troy. The nice thing about the Troy is that its still fairly flickable and easy to manual/bunnyhop compared to "real" 160mm endurobikes, but not as much as the 5010.
    You probably got my point

Bronson is kinda inbetween 5010/Troy but much more comparable to the Troy.

I have only ridden those bikes for about 2h each though, maybe there is someone with a bit more experience on them.
    Just real bizarre that he pointed me in that direction when I was looking at the 5010 and not the Bronson. Of course the travel ratings should have told me it was going to be a pretty different bike. Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Has anyone ran their fork at 160mm? Any thoughts on doing it vs 150?

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammertime View Post
    Has anyone ran their fork at 160mm? Any thoughts on doing it vs 150?
    Multiple people in this german forum run 160 forks and say that it doesnt feel wrong either way.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I've tried both. Either works ok but 160 felt a little choppered. Would rather install an angle set to slacken it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by djjohnr View Post
    I've tried both. Either works ok but 160 felt a little choppered. Would rather install an angle set to slacken it.

Well, also depends on the fork. For example the 160mm Fox 36 has the same a-c length as the 150mm Marzocchi 350.

I would probably run any fork at about 545-550mm a-c length.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I run a '15 36. If this was my only bike I'd consider keeping it at 160, but I think it corners better at 150.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    has anyone tried fitting a coil shock on the new carbon Troy? I might want to try one out, should be really good with the progressive linkage, though the space seems kinda tight for a coil shock.

mtbr member
    Well, also depends on the fork. For example the 160mm Fox 36 has the same a-c length as the 150mm Marzocchi 350.

I would probably run any fork at about 545-550mm a-c length.
    Have you looked at an MRP Stage? At 160mm it's a-c length is almost the same as the pike at 150mm. A ten mm travel increase with no geometry change. I've got a brand new never installed 2016 Stage for sale if anyone's interested. PM me for price and details.

mtbr member
    Here's mine. Still a work in progress. Need to finish building the matching front wheel and maybe some black cranks.

2016 Devinci Troy-img_20160511_185655.jpg2016 Devinci Troy-img_20160511_185712.jpg

Love the way it rides. Very playful and poppy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I just picked up a 2016 Troy carbon frame. It looks great, although I'm thinking the lower part of the down tube looks a bit exposed to rock strikes. Any suggestions on a guard or shock-absorbing tape of some sort for that area?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dromond View Post
    I just picked up a 2016 Troy carbon frame. It looks great, although I'm thinking the lower part of the down tube looks a bit exposed to rock strikes. Any suggestions on a guard or shock-absorbing tape of some sort for that area?
    I'm just using 12 mil tape from crankskins along the bottom of the down tube for now. Would prefer something more substantial for the bottom bracket area.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    This is what I did.

I Used a leather strip trim (from a welder apron) to match the downtube/BB area.
    2016 Devinci Troy-mms_20160519_084314.jpg

Glued with 3M 77 .Paint with PlasticDip rubber paint.
    2016 Devinci Troy-mms_20160519_084350.jpg

It was not hard enough for my taste, so I layer a 2 parts epoxy on it and sand a bit. second layer of epoxy to come.
    2016 Devinci Troy-dsc_0092.jpg2016 Devinci Troy-dsc_0094.jpg2016 Devinci Troy-dsc_0095.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Rode a demo last year with a 150 pike, and built mine with a 160. Have no thoughts on running it shorter, its amazing.

Word to the wise, the area under the shock can pack with mud and make awful sounds. Keep an eye on that, raced a absurdly muddy enduro and my bike started making all sorts of awful sounds. I had packed that space with foam but didn't help with the sheer volume of mud in this race.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Anyone know if there there spacers in the monarch already?

mtbr member
    May 2010

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    2016 Devinci Troy-unnamed-1.jpg

Just got done building mine. She rips!

More detailed pics to come.

mtbr member
    Beautiful bike, I hope to get mine soon

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by handsomehwang View Post
    Anyone know if there there spacers in the monarch already?
    Mine had three or four. I went to two and find that is optimal for my weight of 165

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by micgills View Post
    Mine had three or four. I went to two and find that is optimal for my weight of 165
    So I just checked and I have 0 spacers that came on the Monarch and 0 that came with some stuff they gave me. I only have two bottomless tokens where none were installed. Did the spacers come on the 2016 Troy RS (VitalMTB article is on a 2016 Troy RR)? If so, I may have to contact them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    So I just checked and I have 0 spacers that came on the Monarch and 0 that came with some stuff they gave me. I only have two bottomless tokens where none were installed. Did the spacers come on the 2016 Troy RS (VitalMTB article is on a 2016 Troy RR)? If so, I may have to contact them.
    Yeah mine is an RR. I can not imagine they specd it differently but who knows.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    The Troy is impressing me everyday.
    2016 Devinci Troy-img_0159.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Just built one at the weekend- never got a chance to test it in anger as there's always those 'little jobs' when building a frame that don't always go quite to plan. Hopefully I can take it for a blast tomorrow evening.

2016 Devinci Troy-troy.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by lobby_dosser View Post
    Just built one at the weekend- never got a chance to test it in anger as there's always those 'little jobs' when building a frame that don't always go quite to plan. Hopefully I can take it for a blast tomorrow evening.

Name:	troy.jpg 
Views:	4691 
Size:	345.1 KB 
ID:	1071781
    Nice color edition, wish I had the choice back then.
    On a other note, your chain look short.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by cadoretteboat View Post
    Nice color edition, wish I had the choice back then.
    On a other note, your chain look short.

Quote '
    • s there's always those 'little jobs' when building a frame that don't always go quite to plan.

like the chain, the front and rear brake hoses, contaminating my rear brake pads et etc. I would sack the mechanic but he's cheap

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    that orange is sweet I was inches away from pulling the trigger on one....wish I had now

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    So I sent an email to Devinci and they said that not all of them come with spacers in the monarch. I guess maybe they got it custom made?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    My monarch started making awful sounds lately so opened it up to clean the seals/etc. I didn't have any spacers in it either which I found pretty shocking.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    My monarch started making awful sounds lately so opened it up to clean the seals/etc. I didn't have any spacers in it either which I found pretty shocking.
    What size frame are you guys running? Mine is a large, maybe an account for weight? Very strange to have shocks built all different ways.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    What size frame are you guys running? Mine is a large, maybe an account for weight? Very strange to have shocks built all different ways.
    I ride a medium. I actually was thinking that too but the VitalMTB guys said they had some on their medium in their review. I'm not sure what it is because I don't think it's spec either because in the bikeradar test, they said they had some reducers. However, their RS also came with a Reverb so maybe Devinci sent them a modified RS. Regardless, I haven't been bottoming it out or anything so I guess that's fine.

Devinci Troy Carbon RS review - BikeRadar USA

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Mine's a size large, built it up from the frame. The box it came in said it was associated with the RR build though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Rode a demo last year with a 150 pike, and built mine with a 160. Have no thoughts on running it shorter, its amazing.

Word to the wise, the area under the shock can pack with mud and make awful sounds. Keep an eye on that, raced a absurdly muddy enduro and my bike started making all sorts of awful sounds. I had packed that space with foam but didn't help with the sheer volume of mud in this race.
    What sort of region/terrain are you riding? I'm just building mine up now. I have the air shafts to make my Pike either 150 or 160 so I was thinking I would try both.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    What sort of region/terrain are you riding? I'm just building mine up now. I have the air shafts to make my Pike either 150 or 160 so I was thinking I would try both.
    I live in WNC ride in pisgah and the surrounding area. Mine's at 160 but I would like to try it back at 150 again and see if it's more balanced as an all around trail bike. Downhill rips, but the front is really light for steep and technical climbs. I dropped the stem and it seemed to help. I also notice the center of gravity feels little high in tight switchbacks, and it can get hung in roots and rocks with the front wheelie-ing easily. I'm not sure if these things are related to the head angle and wheel base with the longer fork, rider error, or because my last bike as a 29er. Maybe I'm just picky...

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammertime View Post
    I live in WNC ride in pisgah and the surrounding area. Mine's at 160 but I would like to try it back at 150 again and see if it's more balanced as an all around trail bike. Downhill rips, but the front is really light for steep and technical climbs. I dropped the stem and it seemed to help. I also notice the center of gravity feels little high in tight switchbacks, and it can get hung in roots and rocks with the front wheelie-ing easily. I'm not sure if these things are related to the head angle and wheel base with the longer fork, rider error, or because my last bike as a 29er. Maybe I'm just picky...
    Don't you need a longer stem to put more weight on the front if you are feeling it lift off? 29ers tend to be more steep and by adding the 160 sounds you made the troy more slack. You could try to ride in the steep setting but that would also raise your bottom bracket.

Regardless I ride in the front range of Colorado, lots of rocky terrain, climbs and descents. I don't think I really need any more travel than the 150 but that's probably personal preference.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I just got my first ride on the Troy - thought it was awesome! I'm getting some chain slap noise with the thin factory chainstay stickers. What are people using these days, foam tape? I'll also have to upgrade the thin moto tape on the downtube just because little rocks kicking up and hitting it are super noisy.

The only other oddity is that out of the box my Monarch has a slow leak. It loses maybe 40psi overnight. Has anyone else run into this?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Sounds like SRAM has had some QA/QC issues lately with so many shock issues. A friend's Monarch on his capra died recently too.

I live in Boston and ride all over New England. I built mine up for racing enduro, so giving myself a little slackness was the aim of the 160 Pike.

I haven't noticed many detrimental effects while climbing and I'm on a 35mm length stem.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    What sag % are ya'll running in the front?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I was probably doing 20-25% I think with 2 tokens, but just threw 2 more in to max it out. Unfortunately I broke my thumb the next day, so no real ride time to sort it out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Well just got the second ride it. The handling on this bike is so awesome and I got the rear sag dialed just right. However, I'm experiencing insane amounts of creaking and noise. Constant low level crackling sounds during standing or seated pedaling as well and intermittent creaking and cracking-like noises on impacts. Pretty weird for a new frame that has barely seen moisture. I'm planning to do the typical linkage di-assembly, lube and torque to spec but wanted to ask around to see if anyone had experienced these sorts of issues and could suggest what to try.

mtbr member
    Well just got the second ride it. The handling on this bike is so awesome and I got the rear sag dialed just right. However, I'm experiencing insane amounts of creaking and noise. Constant low level crackling sounds during standing or seated pedaling as well and intermittent creaking and cracking-like noises on impacts. Pretty weird for a new frame that has barely seen moisture. I'm planning to do the typical linkage di-assembly, lube and torque to spec but wanted to ask around to see if anyone had experienced these sorts of issues and could suggest what to try.
    If I remember right, initially on my Troy, the cables crashed quite a bit. You might wrap where they enter/exit the frame with tape or foam.

Also, my seat rails creak (which doesn't explain your standing/creaking issues.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    It's just a flesh wound!

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I had some weird creaking when I was ending near the end of a ride. It turned out to be a cable rubbing on a zip tie every time the rear suspension moved.

mtbr member
    Check the pivots at the rear axle. Pull them apart, liberally grease the interface where they pass through the chainstay/seatstay bearings, and torque them to spec.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Check the pivots at the rear axle. Pull them apart, liberally grease the interface where they pass through the chainstay/seatstay bearings, and torque them to spec.
    Doing so with the axles and shock pivots fixed me up. I actually think it was the shock pivots as those were dry.

I'm somewhat skeptical of the design of the lower shock mount. Perhaps less of an issue in actual use but since there is no drain it really has the potential to gather water and crud!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I cut up a piece of foam and stuck it in there, shake it out every few rides and helps keep the nasty puddle from forming.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    So I contacted Devinci regarding the volumespacers in the Monarch and they answered that there should be 3 spacers installed from stock.

On another note, pinkbike just uploaded a review of the Troy and they state that it comes with a bolt on downtube guard does anyone have that guard and where is it supposed to be bolted on to..?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    So I contacted Devinci regarding the volumespacers in the Monarch and they answered that there should be 3 spacers installed from stock.

On another note, pinkbike just uploaded a review of the Troy and they state that it comes with a bolt on downtube guard does anyone have that guard and where is it supposed to be bolted on to..?
    I don't have the guard but my shock does have the three spacers. I haven't quite hit full travel yet and am at 33% sag so I guess I should try pulling out a couple of spacers. I'm not sure how noticeable of a change each spacer will make.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Somethings not adding up. Maybe they were trying to pass me off because mine didn't come with any?? Did you contact them by email?

Also mine didn't come with a 'shield' either.

Name:  Email.png
Views: 2454
Size:  20.2 KB

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Somethings not adding up. Maybe they were trying to pass me off because mine didn't come with any?? Did you contact them by email?

Also mine didn't come with a 'shield' either.

Name:  Email.png
Views: 2454
Size:  20.2 KB
    Yeah I contacted them via mail though it took them some time to reply.
    It was even the same guy who was talking to me.

Waiting on an answer regarding the sowntube protector mystery now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Yeah I contacted them via mail though it took them some time to reply.
    It was even the same guy who was talking to me.

Waiting on an answer regarding the sowntube protector mystery now.
    It took forever for me as well. Like 3-4 days.

mtbr member
    May 2016

No guard on mine neither

mtbr member
    That's definitely a typo. Must've gotten it mixed up with the Spartan somehow. No threaded bosses = no bolt-on downtube guard.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Ok I asked again this time and the guy apologized and said it was supposed to come with 3 spacers this time so if you guys are missing spacers on your monarch, that's not normal

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Hello, a 5010 user here. I have the 2015 S size (16.3 seattube). Great bike but I feel it short and not quite stable, my trails are mostly technicals, there just a few flowy trails, the rest is not flat, lots of holes, mini drops and steep climbs. Still I like the 5010, climbs well and it is very playfull, things that I look for in a MTB.

I am hesitating in upgrading to 2016 5010 or this new Troy, I've never used the vertical kind of rear suspension. My question is how different is the handling to the 5010 and which size should I get. I im 5´ 7.7" (172 cm) I could either go Small or Medium, looking for climbability, stability down the trail, and something to play with (not so sober)

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Edit: Also money factor Troy´s frame at 2300 USD vs 5010 CC 3250 USD and 2600 USD no shox (also weights a pound less than troy)

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Geeezas View Post
    Hello, a 5010 user here. I have the 2015 S size (16.3 seattube). Great bike but I feel it short and not quite stable, my trails are mostly technicals, there just a few flowy trails, the rest is not flat, lots of holes, mini drops and steep climbs. Still I like the 5010, climbs well and it is very playfull, things that I look for in a MTB.

I am hesitating in upgrading to 2016 5010 or this new Troy, I've never used the vertical kind of rear suspension. My question is how different is the handling to the 5010 and which size should I get. I im 5´ 7.7" (172 cm) I could either go Small or Medium, looking for climbability, stability down the trail, and something to play with (not so sober)

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Edit: Also money factor Troy´s frame at 2300 USD vs 5010 CC 3250 USD and 2600 USD no shox (also weights a pound less than troy)
    I actually was split between the two bikes. I asked a couple questions at blistergearreview and ended up going with the Troy. His take was that the Troy is more comparable to the Bronson so more stable. The climbing also won't be as efficient as the 5010 and probably wouldn't pump as well through flowy . From your trail description, I feel like you should 5010 v2 in medium more than the Troy. I was leaning for the 5010 C S but didn't think it was worth the premium over the Troy RS.

mtbr member
    I am picking up a new troy sx tomorrow - does anybody know how wide the dt Swiss spline 1900 rims are?

Devinci website doesn't say - just wondering if I should negotiate a wheel upgrade before leaving the store.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by crankpuller View Post
    I am picking up a new troy sx tomorrow - does anybody know how wide the dt Swiss spline 1900 rims are?

Devinci website doesn't say - just wondering if I should negotiate a wheel upgrade before leaving the store.

Thanks
    DT site might have your anwser: 22.5mm inside
    Try to upgrade. The POA on those hubs were already outdated in 1900.
    My self, I went with Nobl carbon rims on Hope 4 hubs. Day and night compare to the dt 1900.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cadoretteboat View Post
    DT site might have your anwser: 22.5mm inside
    Try to upgrade. The POA on those hubs were already outdated in 1900.
    My self, I went with Nobl carbon rims on Hope 4 hubs. Day and night compare to the dt 1900.
    Thanks
    They messed up my build and put a spartan kit on there. Bigger rotors, dh casing high rollers, 160mm like and devinci bars instead of chromag.

I am having them get me the proper tires as these are almost 1300grams a pop. I will get the chromag bar too.

Not sure what to do about the fork - should I just set the sag a bit soft and letter rip?

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Thanks
    They messed up my build and put a spartan kit on there. Bigger rotors, dh casing high rollers, 160mm like and devinci bars instead of chromag.

I am having them get me the proper tires as these are almost 1300grams a pop. I will get the chromag bar too.

Not sure what to do about the fork - should I just set the sag a bit soft and letter rip?
    They put the monarch plus off the spartan on the troy? They still gave you the bike? That's what I'm assuming you mean by 160mm but it doesn't work that way. It's a completely different sized shock so I wouldn't ride it cause I know some people were playing with the 2.5" shocks and they were saying sometimes there was interference with the frame when you bottomed out. Not to mention the eye to eye size is different.

mtbr member
    They put the monarch plus off the spartan on the troy? They still gave you the bike? That's what I'm assuming you mean by 160mm but it doesn't work that way. It's a completely different sized shock so I wouldn't ride it cause I know some people were playing with the 2.5" shocks and they were saying sometimes there was interference with the frame when you bottomed out. Not to mention the eye to eye size is different.
    It was a mishmash. Spartan rotors,fork,bars,stem,tires. Gx crank instead of the x1 but the gx has a cinch style 28 tooth ring.

Shock, shifter seatpost, saddle, cassette and frame are from the Troy build.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    It was a mishmash. Spartan rotors,fork,bars,stem,tires. Gx crank instead of the x1 but the gx has a cinch style 28 tooth ring.

Shock, shifter seatpost, saddle, cassette and frame are from the Troy build.
    I'd probably ride it. The 160mm fork might be better depending on your preference. The 28t ring though might be a little too easy is my only thought.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Wondering if you can increase its climbing capabilities by putting a 140 mm PIKE at front. Old troy used 140 at front and the Head angle remains the same on this new version, I think it will be just right. What do you guys think?

The way and trails I ride are completely capable with 140 mm so the extra cm won't be needed much...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Wondering if you can increase its climbing capabilities by putting a 140 mm PIKE at front. Old troy used 140 at front and the Head angle remains the same on this new version, I think it will be just right. What do you guys think?

The way and trails I ride are completely capable with 140 mm so the extra cm won't be needed much...
    The head angle is the same with a longer fork and would be steeper with a shorter one. I wouldn't recommend that. You'd be better off just using the climb compression modes on the fork and shock to stiffer it up a bit.

mtbr member

Devinci did spec one model of the Troy (Carbon SL) with a 140mm fork, but in my personal experience it isn't a good fit. I rode my old Troy for a short time with a 140mm Pike and the BB was a little too low for my tastes - and I like low BB's. Head angle also wasn't optimal.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    If you want a lower travel, quicker handling Troy, that's the Django which I've ridden and liked as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    If you want a more spritely ride, also make sure that you are using the "high" geometry setting.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Thank you guys, I agree with everything said above. I guess I just buy the shaft to convert the PIKE to 150 (30 USD) and set it on Hi geometry.

mtbr member
    Does anybody know what length of stem the medium stock carbon troy sx comes with?

I will be getting the kit sorted in the next couple of weeks and the 35mm stem on there now is too cramped.

Thanks
    Mike

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I'm pretty sure it's 45mm stem. You'll probably be happier with a 50mm stem. I think that's the length Chromag BZA stem they put on the RR

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    This thing is an absolute blast to ride. You can take on all day epics just as well as chasing DH riders in the bikepark or smash corners in flowtrails.
    So glad I got.the Troy and the coil shock really brought this thing to life. Just as smooth as the 36 up front while having the ability of not diving through the travel during manuals etc. Also it feels absolutely bottomless at high speeds. Huge improvement over the Monarch with 3 volume spacers.
    2016 Devinci Troy-2031782-ghvmv9n5lz9y-p1020158-medium.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I've gotten several rides in with my Pike at 160 and with a single offset bushing. Overall I like the setup, it's a little more slack and forgiving up front but not too mismatched with the rear. The front definitely rides a little higher and there is some trade-offs there in terms of perhaps climbing or fit depending on your preference. Overall I think the stock 150 is a great all-around setup, and only prefer the 160 somewhat because we have a lot of longer, steep and/or rough descents in my area.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by PUNKY View Post
    What is the difference between Pro 2s and Pro 4s? Im okay with the Pro2 Evo 40t I have on my DH bike plus the price I get them for is correct. All my other bikes use 240s and one set of 350s. My friend has been running I9 classic hubs on his DH bikes for a few years now without issue, price may be my issue.

I have zero 650b bikes so rear hub spacing isn't so much an issue. I was looking hard at the Aurum with its 142x12 rear spacing as it would allow myself to swap wheelsets if and when I went 650b. The 650b Operator is coming with Boost 148 so that is a possibility as well.

I likely could get a 16 Trance Advanced 1 complete for the price of a Troy frame/fork but those 17.3" CS are the same as my V10C. Plus I would have to order a 36 for the stock 34 (Had a 34 on my Chromag, switched to 36 when they came out)
    Is the pike rtc standard on troy? What is difference if upgrade to rtc3 pike?
    Quote Originally Posted by fedup2 View Post
    Got mine on monday and finished build that night and have 3 rides on it.
    Bike freaking rips! I set my sag around 32-33% and its so progressive at end of stroke i couldnt bottom shock out even on 15-20ft doubles and through rough rock sections at high speeds. The rear end is so stiff and corners into berms better than any trail bike I've ridden. It's also really well balanced when in air on jumps. Some shorter travel bikes feel awkward when jumping with steeper angles and lack of travel for pre loading. This bike really doesn't feel like it's in that 5010 or sb5 travel categorie. I'm blown away on how capable this bike is for a 140mm trail bike, I hit everything i hit on my spartan and i seriously have no idea when im going to grab spartan to go out for ride unless its park riding or shuttle dh days. Im not very good at writing good detailed ride reviews as im a high school drop out,haha! Ive ridden alot of bikes over last 3 years trying to find best trail bike that is playful but not twitchy and sketchy and high speeds in rougher terrain. It rides like my evil uprising did which i loved but was over the issues and flimsy rear end and bolt/bearing issues. All i can say is so far it rips and when pushed hard it gets even more fun and poppy! I had a chance to try out the new rfx 4.0 and it rides very similar to it, which i also loved. The crazy thing is that it feels just as capable as it and its a 160mm plus the troy climbs a tad better. The new added length in toptube is spot on, the older troy in large for me being 6ft was way to small. I was planning on getting a rfx or evil insurgent. The RFX was a great feeling suspension and cornered so well, I cant say anything but good stuff about the new rfx. but i felt both of those would be to close to my spartan so i went went with troy and i was pleasantly surprised how its so close to a legit enduro bike if wanted to be used as such but climbs so good like a trail/all mtn bike. Im not a big forum guy and never post but felt i had to since bike is blowing my mind,haha! Bike came in at 29lbs Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0118.JPG 
Views:	1091 
Size:	144.1 KB 
ID:	1047697

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    Is the pike rtc standard on troy? What is difference if upgrade to rtc3 pike?

Rct3 has preset compression modes (open pedal lock) and the Rc just has a dial you need to set yourself. I actually prefer the Rc because it's easier to set compression unless you're not picky then the three presets probably work fine.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    My Troy started making a creaking noise when compressing the rear shock. It sounds like some kind of cablerub but I cant seem to find it. Has anyone else experienced some creaking from the rear part of the bike and been able to solve it?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    This thing is an absolute blast to ride. You can take on all day epics just as well as chasing DH riders in the bikepark or smash corners in flowtrails.
    So glad I got.the Troy and the coil shock really brought this thing to life. Just as smooth as the 36 up front while having the ability of not diving through the travel during manuals etc. Also it feels absolutely bottomless at high speeds. Huge improvement over the Monarch with 3 volume spacers.

Name:	2031782-ghvmv9n5lz9y-p1020158-medium.jpg 
Views:	1998 
Size:	166.9 KB 
ID:	1081176
    Always wanted a Cane Creek Coil on mine. What was the process of getting that size, I looked and it said the frame was incompatible on Cane Creek's website.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    My Troy started making a creaking noise when compressing the rear shock. It sounds like some kind of cablerub but I cant seem to find it. Has anyone else experienced some creaking from the rear part of the bike and been able to solve it?
    Start with re-greasing the shock hardware, this helped with mine. If not that pull the pivots, clean and grease. I rode my Troy out of the box for a week and then did a tear down; I found little to no lube on the pivots. It runs incredibly smooth now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    My rear brake cable sometimes makes noises with the zip tie and I just kind of play with it and it goes away.

mtbr member
    If the creak only happens when seated, try greasing the seat collar bolt. That was the source of my creak.

mtbr member
    Gonna sell my Troy at the end of the month, more than likely. If anyone is interested please let me know via PM. Its gonna break my heart. 2015 Carbon, M. Lots of upgrades.
    Santa Cruz HT2

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I got mine from here: CANE CREEK DOUBLE BARREL Rear Shock - Probikeshop

I asked CC why the Shock is incompatible according to their website and the reason is that the shock doesnt fit the frame with the theoretical max outer diameter coil available for the CCDB.

Then I found this guy who fitted a Fox DHX2 on his XL Troy: Devinci Troy 2016 | Seite 5 | MTB-News.de

So I thought I'd give it a shot and with the Cane Creek 450x2.0 coil mine has plenty clearence to the seattube of my size large.

I am getting 30% sag with a 450 coil at 70-75kg rider weight btw.

Also thanks for the suggestions regarding the creaking, only thing left that I could do is grease the frame pivots. The noise only comes from compressing the shock hard while standing up so seatpost cant be the issue..
    Maybe its the Cane Creek shock? I hope I'll find out sooner or later

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks! That is really cool. I may go the coil route now, just wish you could get the CS switch in that size...

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Thanks! That is really cool. I may go the coil route now, just wish you could get the CS switch in that size...
    https://www.bike-components.de/de/Ca...l-2016-p46382/

Pretty darn expensive though and they dont have it in stock but they'll get you one I'm sure.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Which model? Rs or rr?

mtbr member
    Which model? Rs or rr?

I bought frame only.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I bought frame only.
    Is it better to buy frame to build the bike? Or buy the whole bike?

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Is it better to buy frame to build the bike? Or buy the whole bike?

Not trying to be rude or offensive but just buy a complete bike if you ask that kind of question. Otherwise you will have to learn some stuff and get information on building a bike yourself. The main advantage of building a bike from a framekit is that you can choose every single part to your liking. If you dont have special requirements for your parts just buy a complete bike and save money. Building a framekit usually gets very expensive.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast