2015 Devinci Troy Sizing help- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

2015 Devinci Troy Sizing help

Hello,

With the 2016 Troy soon to be shipping, many dealers are offering deals on the 2015 version. I am in contact with one but can't decide which size. From researching, it's my understanding these frames run small. I thought a medium would fit me well, but now I am not sure. I am 5'-8" with 29" inseam. Some dealers recommend a Large. So I am confused. There are no local dealers that have any for me to test. In comparison to my Medium Kona Process 134 the geometry of the Troy is closer to a Large. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by RSMBiker View Post
    Hello,

With the 2016 Troy soon to be shipping, many dealers are offering deals on the 2015 version. I am in contact with one but can't decide which size. From researching, it's my understanding these frames run small. I thought a medium would fit me well, but now I am not sure. I am 5'-8" with 29" inseam. Some dealers recommend a Large. So I am confused. There are no local dealers that have any for me to test. In comparison to my Medium Kona Process 134 the geometry of the Troy is closer to a Large. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    I am 5'9" 30" inseam on a large and worked great for me. 50mm stem and 780mm bars, were no problem. What you will need to take into consideration is the seatpost length on the large I was only able to fit a 100mm dropper, could not do a 125mm.

Other then that a really good bike, great pricing, even better warranty.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bervin View Post
    I am 5'9" 30" inseam on a large and worked great for me. 50mm stem and 780mm bars, were no problem. What you will need to take into consideration is the seatpost length on the large I was only able to fit a 100mm dropper, could not do a 125mm.

Other then that a really good bike, great pricing, even better warranty.
    Thanks for the input.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Don't know if you have ordered your bike yet, we are of similar height and inseam, I have test ridden both large and medium frames. Both fit me well. I ended up going with the medium, because I feel its a little bit more playful than the large.

mtbr member
    I'm 5,9" with 31" inseam and bought the Medium. It feels a little compact, I switched to a 70mm RaceFace Turbine Stem and it feels better on fireroad climbs.

I love this bike and am tottaly hooked on riding again!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks for the input guys. Still on the bubble. Especially now with a chance to get a very good deal on a Large.

Calm like a Bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by RSMBiker View Post
    Thanks for the input guys. Still on the bubble. Especially now with a chance to get a very good deal on a Large.

Sorry to jump in but had a similar question.

I am about 5'6"1/2 with about a 29" inseam, will a medium be best for me? I am not sure which geometry to use for the top tube as the list tt1 and tt2 and I'm not sure how that equates to normal TT measurements. Generally I like to stay under 23" TT's

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by stunzeed View Post
    Sorry to jump in but had a similar question.

I am about 5'6"1/2 with about a 29" inseam, will a medium be best for me? I am not sure which geometry to use for the top tube as the list tt1 and tt2 and I'm not sure how that equates to normal TT measurements. Generally I like to stay under 23" TT's
    TT1 is measured using a setback post, which yields the inch of spread between the two.

For what it's worth, I'm 6' with a 33" inseam and the L fits perfectly. I do use a setback post but always have to get my knees in the right spot over the cranks. I also fit a L on all Specialized bikes I've ridden, and my Medium 2010 Pivot Mach 429 (24" top tube spec) was a bit too small even with the setback.

My wife is 5' 4.5" with 29" inseam and felt too spread out on the Medium. She has short arms for her height.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Just built up a Large 2015, and I'm 5'10". Love the feel, fits great. Usually get a Medium

mtbr member
    I'd image you would be a medium. I'm a 5'5.5 female with inseam 30" on a small. I jumped on my brother's medium troy and would never feel comfortable on that. He is 5'10" 32" inseam and pretty maxed out on the medium, but said it felt good on the trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jewels View Post
    I'm a 5'5.5 female with inseam 30" on a small.
    Jewels, how would describe the fit. My daughter is looking at 2015 Troy but was worried the TT is short. She is the same height as you, what length stem are you using?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Echoing the questions here, I'm wondering if anyone has a link to the correct published geo/measurements for the 2014/2015 Troy? My search of several reviews and posts note that Devinci's published numbers were wrong -- at least initially. Anyone have the correct ones, especially ETT?
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    The 2015 and older bikes ran on the small side, I am 5'10" and rode both an Atlas and Troy.
    No way a Medium would have worked.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I am 5'10" and rode a 2014 Large Atlas and needed to use a 80mm stem on it or the handlebars were so close to my knees I couldn't pull the front end up. They definitely have short reach so you should go a size up. Even my Devinci dealer Velorangutan advised me to order my 14 a size up. I just placed an order for a 2016 Troy which has a 20mm longer top tube so I went with a medium on that frame.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    OP - Did you get your bike yet?

I'm 5' 8", 30" inseam and coming off a Medium SB-66 w/50mm stem dropped right onto the headset. Shirt sleeve is 32.5 but that is notoriously inaccurate. The SB-66 frame has a pretty long reach - probably comparable to what everyone is doing in 2016 models - and lower stack due to 26" wheels and short head tube. I felt good but aggressive on that bike - probably would have also been okay with a 35/40mm stem for a slightly more relaxed ride.

You think I should go large Troy with like a 35/40mm stem? Or Medium with like a 70mm stem?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    OP - Did you get your bike yet?

I'm 5' 8", 30" inseam and coming off a Medium SB-66 w/50mm stem dropped right onto the headset. Shirt sleeve is 32.5 but that is notoriously inaccurate. The SB-66 frame has a pretty long reach - probably comparable to what everyone is doing in 2016 models - and lower stack due to 26" wheels and short head tube. I felt good but aggressive on that bike - probably would have also been okay with a 35/40mm stem for a slightly more relaxed ride.

You think I should go large Troy with like a 35/40mm stem? Or Medium with like a 70mm stem?
    I'm the same height as you with a slightly longer inseam. I also had a medium SB66 with a 50mm stem and went with a 1st gen Troy in large with a 35mm stem. The only thing you need to watch is seatpost insertion/height, but you should be fine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks for the replies here. I am in the same boat, pretty seriously thinking of getting a 2015 Troy XP online... no retailers close to me. I'm 5'9" with a 30" inseam (I can go 32" but a little long, actually 31" would be perfect but don't normally see that). I'm looking to go with the M but interested in the L, but a little afraid of going too big, I'm typically more interested in a "playful" bike/riding style (I have demoed 29ers and have no interest). So will consider the comments here and welcome any others.
    Not to high-jack this sizing post, but also very interested to hear from current Troy riders about the rear suspension and how good it is related to "brake-jack." I really like the Trek Fuel/Remedy ABP rear suspension and the Troy split-pivot is similar and interested to know if the Troy rear is still active when on the brakes hard.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdeath View Post
    Thanks for the replies here. I am in the same boat, pretty seriously thinking of getting a 2015 Troy XP online... no retailers close to me. I'm 5'9" with a 30" inseam (I can go 32" but a little long, actually 31" would be perfect but don't normally see that). I'm looking to go with the M but interested in the L, but a little afraid of going too big, I'm typically more interested in a "playful" bike/riding style (I have demoed 29ers and have no interest). So will consider the comments here and welcome any others.
    Not to high-jack this sizing post, but also very interested to hear from current Troy riders about the rear suspension and how good it is related to "brake-jack." I really like the Trek Fuel/Remedy ABP rear suspension and the Troy split-pivot is similar and interested to know if the Troy rear is still active when on the brakes hard.

Thanks!
    Rear end tracks well without locking up in my experience, even under hard braking. Maybe not quite as supple as Horst link bikes everything else being equal, but very close.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I ended up with a 2015 Bronson in Size Med, so I can't provide firsthand comment on the Troy sizing. However, I think it's very likely that if I had gotten the Troy, the size Large would have been the one for me.

Again, I'm 5' 8" 30" inseam ... after coming off the SB-66 the Med Bronson v1 feels kind of small, even with 760mm wide bars ... but I only feel hindered by lack of size during high speed chunder. Otherwise it feels fine on smooth trails. It seems like more people complain on these forums (and in the mtn bike bible test reviews) about the Troy feeling tight than the Bronson v1, so my logic is that if I'm sometimes wanting a longer layout with my Bronson v1 then I probably really would have wanted the Large Troy. I'm now running a 60mm stem on my Bronson and it just feels like the bike ought to be 1/2" longer or so.