Raleigh Tamland 1 / Marin Lombard Elite- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Raleigh Tamland 1 / Marin Lombard Elite

I am considering buying one of these bikes. It will mostly be used for commuting but will see many meandering road/ singletrack rides and the occasional gravel race. Thoughts? Geometry? Components?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    I am considering buying one of these bikes. It will mostly be used for commuting but will see many meandering road/ singletrack rides and the occasional gravel race. Thoughts? Geometry? Components?
    The Raleigh is closer to a road bike. That's not so great for riding dirt.

The Marin seems to run a little tighter across the top which is good for dirt riding. Double-check the crank arm length.

The only other thing to check is for toe overlap. But, all of this might not be important if you like the ride of one over the other and the LBS is a good fit for you.

As for the brands, both are buying from some OEM somewhere. All good product.

mtbr member
    I will add that I cannot test ride either of these bikes because I would be buying them through the bike shop where I work and we don't have any in stock to test ride. I am fairly certain, based on the ETT measurements of CX bikes I have previously ridden (is there another measurement I should consider?), that a 54cm frame in either model will fit me. I have only briefly owned a "real" road bike and it was a bit too small for me so I only rode it a few times before selling it again.

my impression was the same as yours- the Tamland is more like a road bike that is equipped for dirt and the Lombard is is CX bike that has been adapted for dirt roads.

my two concerns are these:

drivetrains- I like the idea of a clutch derailleur and more conventional 10-speed parts that will be easier to source parts for on the Lombard and all that might fair better on trails. The Tamland has the new-fangled 11 speed stuff that will probably be standard in a few years but seems better suited for roads.

frame and fork materials- being a bmx kid at heart, I really like steel. I have never owned an alu bike long enough to know if I really like it, but all my steel bikes have been fine, albeit heavy.

ideally, I would get a Tamland or similar steel frame with the parts that are on a Lombard. trust me, I have searched every possibility and those two models are the only bikes I can get that are within my budget. perhaps I could get one and swap the frame or swap out the parts and get that in the end, but it sounds like a big PITA.

in the end, I probably need to just be realistic about where and how I am actually going to ride this bike. it will primarily be a commuter. then it will see long road rides in which I will blend in as much gravel, singletrack, and bushwhacking as possible (which is why I don't want a conventional road bike). Then it will see a few gravel races a year, which I will ride at my own pace (middle of the pack), with the largest tires I can fit on it because Texas gravel is pretty darn chunky. everything that is dirt and rowdier than that, I will ride on my mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Too late, bought a Tamland!

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    Too late, bought a Tamland!
    I've had my eye one for a while.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.