Open tubular CX clinchers with latex tubes; vs tubular tires for cyclocross- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Open tubular CX clinchers with latex tubes; vs tubular tires for cyclocross

What do you guys think about "open tubular" clinchers with latex tubes (for CX); vs tubulars. The Challenge versions have a very similar high TPI cotton casing (like the tubular versions). I can run fairly low pressures (on my Challenge Grifo "open tubular" clinchers) with the latex tubes, but since I weigh over 200#s, it is in the 20s not the teens. Either way, they ride very well, and I can't see going back to tubular for myself. Has anyone heard of any pros racing "open tubular" clinchers?

Technology
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Open tubular CX clinchers with latex tubes; vs tubular tires for cyclocross-open_tubular_render.png  

Open tubular CX clinchers with latex tubes; vs tubular tires for cyclocross-tubular_render.png  

Last edited by Erik_A; 09-10-2014 at 08:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I've had a Limus bead pop off the rim under hard turning. Which is kind of a bummer.

In my opinion, there is still no substitute for tubulars for racing cross.
    Wow- I have not heard of a properly seated tire's bead popping off the rim, that defeats the purpose for sure! Are there any other manufacturers making a similar cotton casing clincher, with better results in use?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I've never heard of a tire coming off the rim in that manner either.

I believe vittoria might do "open corsa" clinchers but maybe only for road. I personally have no experience with challenge's open tubulars but plenty of people like them combined with latex tubes (or other supple tires with latex tubes) and report good things. Supposedly the latex tube is supposed to be more resistant to pinch flats.

I don't know any pros that aren't running tubulars though. I imagine some may try tubeless but I'm not sure there either. There are probably more cat 1/2 guys running tubeless than pro guys. Tubulars are still the most widely used and I don't see many clinchers/tubeless even in the elite races.

EAT MORE GRIME
    clinchers with latex tubes pop tubes all the time

my faaaaaast cx racer buds -all- prefer old-skool glue+sewups for the best seasonal results in CX and SSCX

-clinchers work but use butyl tubes and they are heavy
    -latex tubes and clinchers are shown to just not last long at all, they fail at the middle of the rim and valve area (at least the ones they tried)
    -tubeless with sealant, always find a way to roll them off the rim on every course
    -tubulars and glue. works best all conditions, super strong wheel too

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Has anyone tried the Vittoria 320tpi cross clinchers?
    Cyclocross Categories Vittoria

mtbr member
    As I read the Vittoria Specs as presented: 320 tpi for Tubulars, 150tpi for Clinchers.

No 320tpi clinchers here.

Eric
    If I don't make an attempt, how will I know if it will work?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    There is a great discussion going on in the forum at CX Magazine regarding tires (Tubular, Open Tubular, and Tubeless options): Best all around cyclocross tubular - Cyclocross Magazine