need help with bike build..i am a newbie!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010

need help with bike build..i am a newbie!

Hi all, I have decided to build a cyclocross from the ground up as it seems to be the perfect commuter bike for me (I hate the skinny tired road bikes and mtn bikes are just to heavy )..but i need some advice as I would like to keep some mtb features like a flat road bar( I have a ritchey carbon ) and I also want to use my existing 9 speed shimano deore XT rear derailleur and front shifter as well as mtb brake levers with cantilever brakes....can this be done and what type of brake levers should I get??)....i also want to go 1 X 9 but am not sure what size front ring /crankset would fit my needs.(i want to get a specilaized tri-cross that s available on ebay).. lastly, I want reasonably light weight wheelset that won't break my bank account ($500) that will accept fairly wide tires (noting less than 38mm)....any help would be most appreciated thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    It's hard to tell what you actually have and what you actually need...

It looks like you have XT shifters (front and rear), derailluers and cassette (assuming 9 speed). I'm assuming that you have a MTB crankset w/BB as well. If you have this stuff, you can use most, if not all of it. If you have a MTB crankset, that will give you a taste for what gearing will work. My guess is that you'll find yourself in the big ring mostly - especially since you're likely running a wide range MTB cassette. You may be forced to go 1x9 because your existing front derailleur may not fit the new frame.

For brakes, you can do either Canti or V-Brakes. Just make sure that the levers are compatible with the brakes that you get. For $500, you can get a really nice set of wheels. I'd look for a nice hand built set, clinchers, box rims. Or maybe Ksyrium clinchers.

For what it's worht, you can get some pretty nice entry level cross bikes for about a thousand bucks. It might be worth considering that option... you can still swap your bars and derailleurs. but this way, you have the road parts if you want to go back to drops.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    thaks for youir help.....yes i do have XT sfifters and dreailleurs..but as i said my goal is to go 1 x 9 as i have no need for 18, 27 gears :0 I do want to get anew BB as mine is the older isis style truvativ (very heavy!)....any suggestions for BB and crankset?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    You can pick up a Shimano Sora cranksets pretty cheap used. I would go with a road crankset. Check those out. For front ring anyway from 38 to 42 probably fine for you riding. I have a 42 on my SS road and 38 on my gravel bike and have done 40 plus road miles on it without issue.

For brake levers you need good old short pull cantilever brake levers like everyone used in the old days.

And yeah for $500 you choose your wheelset. Just start researching. Or maybe look at Bicycle Wheel Warehouse. They have 15% off too. Is building your own wheels an option for you?

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by blkangel View Post
    You can pick up a Shimano Sora cranksets pretty cheap used. I would go with a road crankset. Check those out. For front ring anyway from 38 to 42 probably fine for you riding. I have a 42 on my SS road and 38 on my gravel bike and have done 40 plus road miles on it without issue.

For brake levers you need good old short pull cantilever brake levers like everyone used in the old days.

And yeah for $500 you choose your wheelset. Just start researching. Or maybe look at Bicycle Wheel Warehouse. They have 15% off too. Is building your own wheels an option for you?
    This thread is 8 years old
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Dang my bad. :-). Guess I was a little late.