Handlebar question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Handlebar question

I have a Kona Major Jake CX bike as well as a full suspension mtn bike. Going to sell the FS bike since my age and nerve factor has me doing less trail riding and more on the Greenway (paved) and rail trails, fire roads, etc.

Can the dropped bar be easily replaced with a straight bar easily by a bike shop?

I was thinking about getting an inexpensive hard tail, however they will be much heavier and Iím guessing if I put 40mm tires on my Kona, it would provide a cushier ride.

Or just buy a fitness bike with a flat bar for ? Any good advice out there?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by rickcin View Post
    I have a Kona Major Jake CX bike as well as a full suspension mtn bike. Going to sell the FS bike since my age and nerve factor has me doing less trail riding and more on the Greenway (paved) and rail trails, fire roads, etc.

Can the dropped bar be easily replaced with a straight bar easily by a bike shop?

I was thinking about getting an inexpensive hard tail, however they will be much heavier and Iím guessing if I put 40mm tires on my Kona, it would provide a cushier ride.

Or just buy a fitness bike with a flat bar for ? Any good advice out there?

Thanks
    I just went thru a similar situation...getting to the age where my body can't take the beating of the rocky trails in the Phoenix area (I have a hard tail mtb). So I ended up just rebuilding my vintage Serotta cross bike with used parts (some from Craigslist some from my own parts bin) and started riding the extensive multi-use canal trail system here in Phoenix.

I would give the drops a chance...I actually prefer it for the various hand positions. But if you prefer the flat/riser bar set up, I'm sure a bike shop could make that happen. Just for grins, below is link to a recent ride I hyper lapsed (moving time-lapse). It highlights 2 of the main canal systems in Phoenix.

https://youtu.be/TqVY0cX9Lf8

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EatMoreSushi View Post
    I just went thru a similar situation...getting to the age where my body can't take the beating of the rocky trails in the Phoenix area (I have a hard tail mtb). So I ended up just rebuilding my vintage Serotta cross bike with used parts (some from Craigslist some from my own parts bin) and started riding the extensive multi-use canal trail system here in Phoenix.

I would give the drops a chance...I actually prefer it for the various hand positions. But if you prefer the flat/riser bar set up, I'm sure a bike shop could make that happen. Just for grins, below is link to a recent ride I hyper lapsed (moving time-lapse). It highlights 2 of the main canal systems in Phoenix.

https://youtu.be/TqVY0cX9Lf8
    Real nice bike path, my style since there are no climbs. I do really like my Kona and perhaps the flat bars wouldnít even excite me. I was thinking it would be good to have two bikes, use my XC for pavement while having another flat bike for rail trails/dirt.