Good tire for cross AND pavement use?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Good tire for cross AND pavement use?

Now that winter is coming and cross season is here I want to change out my street tires for a set of multi use tires that I can run both on dirt and pavement. I'll be doing more road riding than cross racing, but I do plan on doing a few races and some training, so I really don't want to keep switching my tires back and forth as I had to do twice last week.

I like to run a tire with some tread in the winter, because of all the sand and leaves and crap that end up on the roads this time of year. I realize I'll give up some speed and handling over a street tire, but I'm not that fast anyway.

I just want something that will be fairly quiet and handle reasonably well without wearing too fast.

For cx tires I currently have a set of Challenge Griffo's that are awesome offroad, but slow, loud, and quick wearing on pavement.

I was talking to a Kenda rep last week, he suggested the Happy Medium or the Kommando, in 35c size. I like the look of the Happy Medium, but I wonder if the file tread will wear fast? The Kommando has more of a diamond knob tread that the rep said will roll faster on pavement.

I also like the look of the Ritchey Speedmax, but once again, I'm concerned about the file tread.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    '15 Charge Cooker Maxi 2
    '13 Salsa Horsethief 2
    '12 Trek 6000
    '11 Ridley X-Ride
    '11 Santa Cruz Driver 8

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    The specailized triggers are nice. My favorite so far. I had 40 Mso I imagine the 35mso would be nice for your app. Tubeless ravens roll ok but hum. I am still looking for the perfect front though for old logging trails and mtb trail around.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Might check out some of the rugged touring tires. I run Schwalbe Marathon Mondials on and off pavement and find they work quite well. I've had about 2.5 years on them with hardly any tread wear. On the road they are quiet unless on smooth concrete where you get a slight hum. I found they really responded well to tubeless, totally different tire than with a tube. I run 30 psi on and off road with them.
    - DSCF1445

They are not a light tire, but I have never felt like I was being held back by the tires.

jrm
    mtbr member
    You cant beat the Clement Explor line. Im using the 35c ASH.

Wēk Ss
    I have used the Happy Medium, they are fine for light trail use. They do wear quickly, and when they do, they start to drag (in the rear). The front will get "flatter" as part of the center ridge wears out.. I also have the Kenda Kommando, they are bigger knobs, and slower. I can't really compare speeds as my Happy Medium is 40c and my Kommando is 32c. The Kommando is directional. I have it set up for offroad use mostly, as in slower rolling and soft conditions. You can set it up for hardpack, faster rolling.

I would say for general use, it is hard to beat the XPlor MSO. I have those too, especially if you want bigger tires. Another tire to look at is the Small Block 8, for general purpose or the Vee Rubber 12 (cheap, but hard even though it is high TPI). If money is not much of a concern, XPlor. I have not used the USH above, but the MSO is right on.

Clement X?Plor MSO Tires: Overall Review | Gravel Grinder News I concur, FWIW.

Ride Everything
    Second the Clement recommendations.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

mtbr member
    I commute on Clement X'PLOR MSO's, and they work really well. Not sure if I'd race CX on them though. I live on the Front Range here in Colorado, and the PDX is my go-to choice for a racing tire.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006

Good tire for cross AND pavement use?

Stan's Raven 35's.
    Kappius Components Ambassador - Ping me a note for a discount code

mtbr member
    i'm loving my Maxxis Raze's.

have them on both my CX bikes, can average ~30km/h on the street so they are fine by me!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Just installed a set of Maxxis Raze tires. Haven't raced on them yet but so far I am loving them for pavement, gravel paths and light singletrack. They feel significantly smoother rolling on pavement than the Clement PDX's I had on previously.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Clement for me, too. I ride a combination of gravel and pavement, and the USH works perfectly for me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    If you're using Challenge tires currently, have you thought about their Gravel Grinder PLUS in 38mm? Might not be the best for an actual CX race...

I just replaced some Schwalbe Rapid Robs which are about the cheapest cross tires I've seen at $20/each. A nice grippy, cheap tire for gravel riding, but wow, those flex knobs feel like suction cups when riding on pavement.

I'm trying out the Challenge Gravel Grinders. Specialized Triggers have worked well for me as well; were a little more money than Challenge's.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Crawler View Post
    Might check out some of the rugged touring tires. I run Schwalbe Marathon Mondials on and off pavement and find they work quite well. I've had about 2.5 years on them with hardly any tread wear. On the road they are quiet unless on smooth concrete where you get a slight hum. I found they really responded well to tubeless, totally different tire than with a tube. I run 30 psi on and off road with them.
    - DSCF1445

They are not a light tire, but I have never felt like I was being held back by the tires.
    Thanks for the info! I'll definitely keep that one on the short list. It looks pretty good for the kind of conditions I'll encounter, other than perhaps wet grass that I may encounter on a cross course.

Also, I really enjoyed reading about your build! Looks like a great ride you have there. I'm definitely jealous of the type of riding you have!
    '15 Charge Cooker Maxi 2
    '13 Salsa Horsethief 2
    '12 Trek 6000
    '11 Ridley X-Ride
    '11 Santa Cruz Driver 8

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I haven't had a lot of opportunity to try the Mondials out in the wet. In thick mud, the tread packs up pretty solid. I damp dirt, they do OK, but have not ridden any wet grass. I built the bike for the unpaved levee trails, fire roads and the easier MTB trails in my area, it works great for that, glad you liked the build photos. It's been a low maintenance bike, just pump up the tires and lube the chain every week or so.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    +1 clement xplor. 120tpi setup tubeless with orange seal. stans kept weeping through the sidewalls. i use my gunnar for commuting, gravel road rides, and cx (dry course). definitely a 'dry' oriented tire. they have held up well with 4+ months of regular use.

mtbr member
    Depending on how big you want to go / where you live nano 40s could be a good bet too. Surprisingly confident on (at least fairly dry) trails and dirt roads but also roll really well on pavement for their size. Only downside is the tread does pack up with mud so might be the best for some areas.

mtbr member
    Smart Sams are my tire of choice for paved and offroad mixes. Fast rolling and the cheap ones have a harder compound for low wear on the tarmac. I get 1500 to 2000km a pair with proper rotation.
    GTA
    Ontario

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by NDTransplant View Post
    If you're using Challenge tires currently, have you thought about their Gravel Grinder PLUS in 38mm? Might not be the best for an actual CX race...

I just replaced some Schwalbe Rapid Robs which are about the cheapest cross tires I've seen at $20/each. A nice grippy, cheap tire for gravel riding, but wow, those flex knobs feel like suction cups when riding on pavement.

I'm trying out the Challenge Gravel Grinders. Specialized Triggers have worked well for me as well; were a little more money than Challenge's.
    Second the Gravel Grinders, went to these from a Happy medium 35. The GG's roll better inspite of their extra 3mm girth.

Moderator Moderator
    I'll throw Conti speed rides into the mix. It measures at 39, so it might be out of your range. Folding versions are reasonably priced, it's a good quality tire on the road or dry.

mtbr member
    Stan's Raven in 35c have served me very well in everything from moderate trail, to gravel grinders to pavement; I've got 1000 miles on the set I have and it is time to rotate front to rear as there is now a noticeable difference front to rear. Traction is good/predictable on most surfaces and conditions...I have yet to ride them in snow. As another plus; low tubeless pressures(35psi off road @160lbs) and road tire weight.

Kenda Small block 8's work better for hard pack, loose over hard conditions and roll a bit faster on pavement; but wear VERY fast.

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Bontrager: LT3 700C (Model #08316)

I have been using the Bontrager LT3 on my CX bike. I use the bike as a 3x a week commuter and weekend offroader. I ride it on the same trails I ride my MTB on. It hooks up great on all but the loosest rocky climbs. It would probably do better but I am too lazy to reduce my tire pressure. I run 75 PSI for commuting.

I ran these tires on a 46 mile Gravel race recently and last weekend did a 34 mile ride that was about half trails and half roads.

Only drawback for weight weenies is that they are pretty heavy. Despite that, my average speed on last weekend's ride was 15 mph.

mtbr member
    I would like to ask a question, or perhaps try to fathom the tyre issue here.

I do not CX race, but have 2 set-ups for mixed surfaces that I use. Both of my options are Schwalbe, using on 1 set of wheels: Sammy Slick. These are fast on gravel and pavement, run quiet, but I feel a little nervous as soon as I lean into a corner on gravel (finer pea gravel on a hard base). The other wheelset has a Rocket Ron on the front and Racing Ralph on the rear. I find that the RR's to be very secure on gravel, quick and predictable, about the equal of my 26 x 2.1 RR indentical set for grip. The MTB size wear forever, but I am alarmed at how quickly the CX size wears. Each time I go out for a pavement to gravel ride and return via the same route - have to ride pavement to get to the gravel, the tyres seem to disappear quickly. I guess that the compound used in the CX tyres are softer and more grippy. The Sammy Slick's wear is excellent so far. I had thought of using Kenda Small Block 8's, but I see that they wear quickly as well.

I am limited to 35mm max tyres, and it would appear that 'race' tyres are soft and grippy but pavement wears them out quickly. The other option is to go to file tread style tyres, but you loose the grip.

Do I have the correct understanding here? My understanding seems to match the responses given here so far as the options appear very limited. Clement X'Plor USH appear to be close but the file side tread does not appeal.

Eric
    If I don't make an attempt, how will I know if it will work?

Moderator Moderator
    You might look at the Conti Speedrides I'm using. Granted, I don't have that many miles on them, but they've been stellar so far. Similar to many CX file treads, but the main difference is that instead of pointy diamonds in the center tread, they actually have solid, closely spaced square knobs. When you quickly wear off the points on the diamonds on many file treads, they become slicks, but these should still stay knobs and have edges for grip for quite a while, they're 1.75mm tall. They're relatively cheap too for a quality folding tire. @ $30

mtbr member
    I should say the Kenda's wear very fast ON PAVEMENT. Gravel and dirt yield similar wear to other high performance cx tires.

mtbr member
    Pretty happy with running a 700x40 Kenda Happy Medium up front and 700x35 SB8 out back. I have approx 1600 miles on the pair with probably 60-70% of that being pavement. Front shows no wear really. Rear is squared off approaching slick status in the middle and will probably need to be tossed in another few hundred miles. I feel it is a good compromise for both terrains. Never really have a traction issue offroad and I really don't feel it has a big enough disadvantage on the road where I would think about something with a different tread profile. My only gripe with these tires is setting them up tubeless.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Thanks A1an. I would be happy with that sort of mileage for the SB8. My Schwalbe RR combo would not see 500 miles, so I will give the SB8 a trial and see how they go.

Eric

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by A1an View Post
    Pretty happy with running a 700x40 Kenda Happy Medium up front and 700x35 SB8 out back. I have approx 1600 miles on the pair with probably 60-70% of that being pavement. Front shows no wear really. Rear is squared off approaching slick status in the middle and will probably need to be tossed in another few hundred miles. I feel it is a good compromise for both terrains. Never really have a traction issue offroad and I really don't feel it has a big enough disadvantage on the road where I would think about something with a different tread profile. My only gripe with these tires is setting them up tubeless.
    What psi are you running with the SB8? I would say my rear was 70% worn after 5-6 hundred miles. Not to say I didn't like them; I bought another set that I haven't used much.

Also anyone have comments on the WTB Nano 700X40?

Ride Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by invader_zoom View Post
    What psi are you running with the SB8? I would say my rear was 70% worn after 5-6 hundred miles. Not to say I didn't like them; I bought another set that I haven't used much.

I'm liking the Nano--better on pavement than expected. Too soon to talk about wear, though.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by invader_zoom View Post

I'm running between 50 and 60 tubeless. Sometimes I'll air it down lower if my ride is primarily offroad.

Signature

mtbr member
    I would like to say thanks for the advice and can confirm that the SB8 is indeed a very good tyre. I am more than happy with the grip, braking and cornering experienced and the wear is looking much better.

Thanks Guys.

Eric