mtbr member
    Jul 2017

Fuji Cross 1.1 opinions

I guys

Looking at cross bikes for fitness, dirt roads, city, road, some single track and of course local cross races. I only did two cross races this last season and lined up at the back and finished back half in the un-sanctioned race. Not looking to get serious but enter a race now and then for fun.

A Fuji 2017 cross 1.1 looks like a good $2K build. A little steep and tight but that's OK. Most of my riding would be around an hour with a few 2-5 hour rides a year so a harder ride would be OK.

Any thoughts, recommendations, red flags?

Thanks

Scott

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I picked up a used 2014 Fuji Cross 2.0LE (Performance Bike edition) with all SRAM Rival components and it's been a solid bike for me. I did have an issue with the front fork, so replaced it with a Whisky No7.

It's my all road anytime crap weather CX racing gravel road road bike right now and does everything well for me.

I know I'm not commenting on the same model exactly, but I do like the Fuji.

$2k seems pretty steep to me though, but I don't usually but New bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I have a Cross 1.7 and love it.
    I bought 3 of them for the family.
    Does what I wanted to do very nicely,
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Cross 1.5 here, favorite cx bike I’ve had including some nice bikes

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Is the frame the same between the levels or are there different frames for each?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Frame is the same on the current generation. 1.1 has better components than my 1.5.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I had a Cross 1.1 frame for a while. As other people have said...it does everything you need it to do and has a lot of modern touches (thru axles, flat mount brakes, etc) for a good price point

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by eness215 View Post
    I had a Cross 1.1 frame for a while. As other people have said...it does everything you need it to do and has a lot of modern touches (thru axles, flat mount brakes, etc) for a good price point
    Any creaking? I sem to be hard on AL bikes. Mine creak. What didyou replace it with?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by scycllerist View Post
    Any creaking? I sem to be hard on AL bikes. Mine creak. What didyou replace it with?
    I never had any creaking and I rode it all over for cross racing and singletrack. What creaks on yours? BB, headset, saddle? Just make sure everything is greased and torqued properly. If you are worried about the PF30 bb creaking, you can get one of the threaded pf30 bb's from Wheels Manufacturing. I've had them on a few bikes now and have been very happy with them.

I had the chance to get a killer deal on a new Trek Crockett. Seeing as the shop I race for is a Trek dealer, it made sense. From a ride feel perspective, there's not much noticeable difference. Only thing I really notice is that the Fuji has more tire clearance in the fork (which I miss when it's really messy out).

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    No creaks for me as long as the pf BB is torqued correctly. I've had it in some ugly weather too, but I kept it lubed and clean pretty quickly afterword. No issues here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    The bike that creaks is my trail and I think it's a little of everything. I but a new BB on it in Oct so it migh need a retighten.

Comparing the crocket with the cross, frame specs are within a few mm one way or another.Standover is about an inch higher on the fuji.

I guess it would be a matter of house brand parts and LBS service vs mail order.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I just got one from bikesdirect ($1600). For the price the components are killer. SRAM Force 1X11, and the Force hydro brakes. The bike is pretty light (again for the price), and there are some nice adds ons, like a carbon seat post (hope that holds up for cross), decent OVAL wheelset (tubeless compatible, with solid grifo tires) and front thru axle (although the website said both were, I seem to have a QR for the rear). I haven't gotten to take it out yet, but it's a good looking bike and I'm looking forward to testing it out ASAP.

One note: I got a size 56 (the biggest they had in stock). I usually go for 58s, but I"m going to try it, as Fuji claims this size fits 5'10" 6'1" (I'm 6'0"). It does however, have a 172.5 crank, whereas I've pretty exclusively ridden 175s for 15+ years. Just keep that in mind. Might not be a terrible thing for cross or trail riding to have a little more clearance and spinning.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Anyone know tire clearnace on these and than the Altamira frames have heard they are the same but very little info out there. I am hopin they can clear a 38mm buyt pics I see guesing 35 might be max and even than mud may be a factor.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    I have a 1.3 listed here in the classifieds that’s sporting a set of 40c files. I normally run it with a riddler 45 up front, and the same in 37 out back when not in “road touring” mode.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I'm looking at a close out 2017 Cross 1.1 for $1700. Are you guys liking the bike overall? 2 guys i ride with regularly have 1.7s and like them alot. seems like a good bike for the price.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    At the time I poseted this thread I was riding my Timberjack in some CX races and thought the 1.1 was a good value. I spent my money on a Canfield EPO HT and decided not to persue CX so never bought a 1.1. It still looks like a good value and in two years or so I may get one for "all road" use.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    I have a 1.3 listed here in the classifieds that’s sporting a set of 40c files. I normally run it with a riddler 45 up front, and the same in 37 out back when not in “road touring” mode.
    Question: Have you run 40s with tread bigger than file on the front and back, and if so how was clearance?