First Cx or MTB support race - bike choice- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

First Cx or MTB support race - bike choice

I think I'm gonna dive in and race either my first Cx or MTB support race. However, not 100% sure what bike to use. Option A is I've got a Gravel bike but it's an Alfine 8 IGH with 40c Nanos on it. I can replace the tyres cheaply enough with 33c but worried how the A8 would fare and it's a thumb shifter. Alfine is not designed for pedal mashing. Option B is MTB support with with a rigid fat bike w/ 4.7" tyre...ridiculous I know. I think the weight and muck picked up on tyres would work against me. Option C is an old 26" Giant Anthem...pretty great bike for it's time....and let's go with Option D....borrow a light 29er for MTB support or actual Cx bike for the Cx race. Thoughts?

XC
    Trail
    Road
    Fat...it's all cycling.

Up In Smoke
    I'm a bit confused what kind of race this is but I'll go on to assume its a standard cyclocross race. Option D seems like the best option if you can swing it. Option C seems like the most realistic choice though. Not sure I'd even consider option A or B.

mtbr member
    thanks for your response. Yeah, unfortunately the race (standard Cx) was cancelled so I never got the chance. In the end I was gonna borrow a 29er from a mate for MTB support. B was the "fun" option but most likely I would've ended up looking like a dick!

XC
    Trail
    Road
    Fat...it's all cycling.

Formerly of Kent
    What is "MTB support"?

I've never heard anyone use that term as it pertains to mountain bike racing.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    What is "MTB support"?

I've never heard anyone use that term as it pertains to mountain bike racing.
    Here in Northern Ireland some Cx races they have this category for mountainbikes. It's usually the same course/fewer laps. Usually its an option to get people hooked into the sport if they don't have a Cx bike.

XC
    Trail
    Road
    Fat...it's all cycling.

mtbr member
    The gravel bike would have been perfect...no need for CX bike. Tire tread pattern would matter based on the surface you'd primarily be racing on (and the weather that day), but a 40 would be perfectly fine in terms of size for a "fun" race.

mtbr member
    as far as I know 33c is the limit for race events here. However that wasn't the issue. The bike is internally geared 8 speed with a bar end shifter. It can be quite difficult to make changes on short twisty courses. It's designed for longer gravel rides and is brilliant for those. Anyway, I'll stick to spectating at Cx events for now :-)

XC
    Trail
    Road
    Fat...it's all cycling.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cr3anmachin3 View Post
    as far as I know 33c is the limit for race events here. However that wasn't the issue. The bike is internally geared 8 speed with a bar end shifter. It can be quite difficult to make changes on short twisty courses. It's designed for longer gravel rides and is brilliant for those. Anyway, I'll stick to spectating at Cx events for now :-)
    I'm not racing for UCI points (nor do I care at all), so I'll run whatever tire I feel like. ;-)