Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle - Page 4- Mtbr.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    mtbr member

Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle

Quote Originally Posted by InVeloVeritas View Post
    Don't forget if you're planning to run current 11spd that you have a 'road 11 speed ' freehub body. Mountain 11 speed is either XD or new XTR, neither of which will take a road cassette.
    Selection of road disc hubs is a little limited, even more so if you want thru axle. Bontrager, Easton, and DT come to mind with options.

I don't think that's true if you're going 1x11. This one takes xd driver and is advertised to work with force cx1 drivetrain: https://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/p...uster-cassette

I might even try to get away with running my X01 cranks and cassette on the Force 1 drivetrain. they seem very similar
    Last edited by Couloirman; 07-19-2015 at 08:42 PM.

mtbr member

I'm ordering through peter who used to work at xmiplay but now has started his own thing. Looks similar to the miracle bike (maybe the same, who knows). The last chinese mountain bike I bought, that IP-256 super light one could only be used with a 34 tooth ring max with a 1x setup or it would grind on the chainstay.

Anyone having chain ring clearance issues with a 1x setup on this frame? With an SRAM Force 1 setup I hope to use everything from 36 tooth to 44 tooth chainring as long as it fits

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Couloirman View Post
    I'm ordering through peter who used to work at xmiplay but now has started his own thing. Looks similar to the miracle bike (maybe the same, who knows). The last chinese mountain bike I bought, that IP-256 super light one could only be used with a 34 tooth ring max with a 1x setup or it would grind on the chainstay.

Anyone having chain ring clearance issues with a 1x setup on this frame? With an SRAM Force 1 setup I hope to use everything from 36 tooth to 44 tooth chainring as long as it fits
    I'm running 1x10 with a 42T & sram crank. No interference issues through 11-36t shift range.

mtbr member
    Awesome thanks man!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Couloirman View Post

I run a Force CX1 setup with a 44t ring, no problems.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by w0lla View Post
    I run a Force CX1 setup with a 44t ring, no problems.
    Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-uploadfromtaptalk1437484183441.jpg

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1437484183441.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	1003413

I think the least of your problems is chainring clearance w0lla.

Please tell me that's not Spokey Dokey's I see !

WTF ????

Is it still 1980 in your part of the world ?

PMSL

Made my week buddy.

Rock on

Fat Biker

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    hah! got them as a present was forced to put them on

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    hah! got them as a present was forced to put them on

A likely story

Come on now we're all friends here just admit it n come clean.

You CHOSE them really didn't ya

Best "upgrade" I seen on a bike in ANY forums in a loooong time.

Fat Biker

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Newb to this forum. Read the whole thread and still a bit confused as to the "142mm thru axle" as this is bigger than the current 135 mm axles standards. How does this pan out in practice?

As an example, which rear hub would you choose from this page:
    Hubs-CX
    Last edited by BridlepathsForever; 07-22-2015 at 02:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    double post deleted
    Last edited by BridlepathsForever; 07-22-2015 at 02:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    How are you guys getting on with the 53 mm bottom bracket drop?

I'm looking for an affordable carbon frame to make a gravel friendly alternative to my road bike. (As opposed to making a bike for proper CX duties.)
    This frame could be perfect, except for my small doubt as to whether the high BB will be too noticeable in terms of handling.
    Last edited by BridlepathsForever; 07-23-2015 at 02:39 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Thanks for all the great info I've been following this thread for a while and just ordered my frame.

What thru axle cx wheels are you guys using?

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    142 is the width of the hub. yes its bigger than 135. The frame has 3.5mm notch on either side to locate the wheel while you thread the axle through

here is some extra info:

12 mm x 142 mm Axle Standard Explained - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'm a fan of the DT R23/R24. Centerlock, tubeless, and pretty good value.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Using a grail+dt350 combo, smoooth

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-img_20150802_133221.jpg

You guys noticed similar "anomalies" on the fram finish as the one shown above.

mtbr member
    For me, on some single track, the BB drop is NOT an issue.
    I'm even using an eccentric BB set in the lower position. So the BB is even lower.

GF and I did 10 hours/120 miles of dirt/pave a few days ago. I was wishing for a longer frame, but glad for the clearance on stand over.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Still happy w/ this bike.
    The memories of bike packing the Colorado Trail are still too fresh in my head to do any large loops on the mountain bikes so I'm finally able to link up some of the great stuff I built this bike for.

GF and I did 120 miles of dirt/pave a few days ago. About 10 hours of wheels turning time.
    Some of the miles were perfect for this bike. Easy rolling.
    For some of the miles this SS road-ish bike was, perhaps, the wrong tool for the job.
    Stand up and haul on the bars for a few stinger ups and the bike feels great.
    Do a climb that lasts more than an hour and my frail little self begins to wilt and a SS CX bike is as clever as someone on a 26" fat bike claiming they don't like suspension.
    Too much time standing and sawing at the bars had me crafting solutions.

Did the Miracle flinch? Nope.
    Did Chicken Bones?
    Yep. You could have heard me crack from space.
    Almost a week later and I might be re-hydrated to where I was pre-ride.

So now- it's a dingle speed.
    Know the type? It uses two front rings, and two rear. Each separated by the same 3 tooth count. (in this case a 32/20 for the long ups, and a 35/17 for the easier stuff)
    No derailleurs, no tensioners. Just move the chain onto the smaller front ring, then move it onto the larger rear. Voila! An uphill gear and one for other stuff too.

Why? Why am I so adamant to avoid gears on this bike?
    Vanity.
    During this transition I frog-modified a rear der onto the frame to make it a 1x9. Even managed to cram an XTR rear shifter onto the bars.
    (Show of hands please- How many of you knew that a road bar is ever so slightly larger than a mountain bar? well I'm glad you knew that but this is not a contest)

Nope.
    The der had to go.

Anyone else still glad they made the purchase?

-JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Stoked to build this up this week. Anyone know what the difference between Chris King Road and Mountain bottom brackets are, and which fits this frame? Putting Force CX1 cranks on here, and all I am missing is the BB but I can't figure out which to order. Either going Chris King or Enduro XD15 ceramic on the BB but both say road and mtn versions and can't figure which goes on this bike

mtbr member
    In the slim chance that I can help here....
    The bottom bracket shell of the frame isn't mountain or road.
    The cranks are.

So- if you're using a mountain crank on the Miracle- get the King mountain BB.
    And likewise if you're running a road crank.
    The real difference is the crank spindle length.

Somebody will know the exact specs but- road cranks are more narrow than mountain.

And for what it's worth, the King BB is really worth it (to me anyway).
    I'm using one on the SS, have been since 2011. It's all scuffed and battered, faded (since King can't anodize worth a crap) and running absolutely perfectly.
    I use their little grease injector several times a season. It's pretty good but seems to occasionally blow the rubber o-ring out if I inject the grease too fast.

On the bikes w/o a King BB- I press in a new bearings at least once a season.
    So.. blah blah blah.
    Get the King in the size that works w/ your cranks.
    Or I guess more accurately- get the King BB and then get the correct adapter for it.

-JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Anyone?
    Can anyone tell me for certain?
    Is this our Miracle rebranded?
    It's 3:30 am and I need sleep but it sure seems to be the same.
    Vitus
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    It sure looks like the same frame to me. There's a product page up on their retail web site with geometry charts and all. I haven't checked to see whether the dimensions all match, but the frame sizes being offered definitely match.

The claimed weight is 2 pounds less than my bike, but they are probably using lighter wheels, and the hydraulic brakes and 1x drivetrain probably save some as well.

mtbr member
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/bikes/c...super-prestige

Also very close match to this frame. Geo numbers are almost spot ETT, headtube. Etc.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Hello

I just get my cx frameset from Asiancycle express. It looks very good, but then I noticed that I might have some problem. Frameset come with 142x12 rear thruaxle dropout and 15x100 front thruaxle fork. The problem is that in the frame or fork does not have thread where I can put thruaxles. So does Asiancycleexpress forget something or do I need some parts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-20150908_144158.jpg  

Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-20150908_144213_-nekoskentie.jpg  

Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-20150908_144221_-nekoskentie.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nope.
    There seems to be no mistake.
    My frame looks the same.
    Somewhere in this overly long thread there's a bit about the axles.
    Each uses a threaded nut on it's end. I think the DT 12mm thru will work on the rear of your frame.
    As far as I've seen, there's only one that will work on the front. It's the version Miracle sells.
    So you'll need to contact your seller and get the correct set up. If I was in your shoes, I'd order both F and R. They are super cheap.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks for your reply!

This is photo from another side of fork.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-2015-09-08-19.07.20.jpg  

mtbr member
    Yep Toni-
    That completely makes sense.
    The fork on my Miracle has that same insert. The QR lever will go on the R side of the bike, and that hollow area is where the axle bolt snugs in.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    They look close but I can't say for sure.
    We went thru a long headache of these damned things. Originally Miracle sent a handful of us the incorrect F axles. Not sure what they fit, but it wasn't the Miracles.
    The rear is likely pretty much able to fit w/ several different 142 set ups.
    The front was the issue. Evidently it needs to be just the right width, and the "nut" of the axle it has to fit in the fork's recess.
    I'd contact the seller and see which they suggest.
    If it's needed- I can measure the axles that I have. I suppose the un-threaded width would be key.

Check page 16 or so of this thread for some shots I took of the right and wrong F axles.

-JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    It's been a few months in the making, but I finally got her built up last night. It took Jenny a few months to get me a 56cm frame and about 8-weeks back and forth on the paint (trying to figure out what colors they actually had available wasn't easy).

My primary use is CX racing (lots around here in Minneapolis) I was unsure on how it was going to come together so if it was a turd, it was going to be relegated to my pit bike. It's a mix of ebay parts I got on the cheap and some Chinese tubular wheels I had built up on the cheap as well. I would say only have about $1500 into her.

I must say, I'm super stoked on how it turned out! All up weight with my Ti eggbeater pedals is 15lbs 14oz, which for a thru axle disc bike exceeds my expectations. I was shooting for under 17lbs. I need to get the tires glued on and put her thru it's paces on the local Wednesday night CX races. I'll report back.

Cheers,
    Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-img_0911-2-.jpg  

Last edited by foresterxt; 09-11-2015 at 07:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Jesus Dave.
    Really?
    You aren't sitting on any pit bikes that you'd like to get rid of?
    Like some crap wagon 17lb tank needing a home?

That bike is gorgeous. Really.
    Everytime I see someone's Miracle that has such perfect paint- I realize how little consideration I gave the paint on mine.
    Man.

Written with envy,
    -JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member

Minor Update

As I've written- Deda Tape is crap.
    And now.... well, I will throw the Lizard Skins stuff out too! Slippery when wet, and too shiny.

So, instead I'm now using some Fizik Performance microfiber stuff I found on close out at a shop.
    AND ITS FANTASTIC! It's almost more fabric than cork or anything else.
    3mm thick and great.

It's fall everywhere. The time that I ride a bike like this the most.
    My recent 2 cents- not much give in that fork eh? Too straight.
    After about 5-6 hours I start to feel it.

But I'm still loving it.

You should be riding, not reading.
    -JCB

I have a great shot w/ some leaves and such but I think it's too big, it won't upload.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Hey! That's my bike.
    But w/ better parts. And cleaner paint.
    Clearly the TA is different on both ends. The rear plates don't appear to be swapable. The F axle enters from the R side of the bike so it's different too.
    IB15: Basso Cuts the Mud & Wind with Full Thru-Axle Fast Cross Disc & Konos TT/Tri Machine; Plus New Price Point Venta

I sure would like to know the real story behind these open molds.
    I'm betting Miracle doesn't make them either. But who does? If we are now able to scoop the big brands w/ such a frame, who do we send $$ to in order to scoop Miracle too?
    How do we go Factory direct?
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    After 6 week of racing here in Colorado I am super happy with the bike! Here is shot of her in action
    Last edited by c1gary; 10-08-2015 at 08:05 PM.

mtbr member
    c1gary- We were promised a photo!
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I can not upload the photo from my phone. I will have to do once I get to my computer this weekend.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Looking at getting one of the miracle frames(FM286), I'm just wondering if I should go for BB30 or bsa, I'm leaning towards bb30, but what are people's experience with creaking? Also, what's the deal with the axels, do they come with them or do you have to buy your own? Cheers

mtbr member
    I'm still glad I went BSA- just for the option to use old parts.
    And of all the creaky that I've read about- BB30 seems to be worse than PF30 or other options.
    I'm the guy whose BSA wasn't glued in so now it's a BB30 anyway but since I'm using it with an eccentric BB as a single speed- it's fine.

Order axles with it.
    Their F axle is the only one that works with their fork. As far as we've seen.
    And the R axle is so cheap- just order that too!

-JCB

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Good to hear, what's the internal cable routing like for the frame? fairly easy to route?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I don't like the way these rear drop-outs are only held on with those 2 little screws. I'm used to seeing the thru axle captured by the frame itself. As it is, those 2 screws on each side are the only thing keeping your wheel attached to the frame. Does that concern anyone else?

mtbr member
    Many of these questions have already been answered in this long thread, but I can understand why you may have skipped the bulk of it.

The internal route isn't all that great but works fine. I only routed hydro brake housing thru it so had to futz a bit. My frame wasn't pre-threaded. Some have been.

I was also concerned w/ the two little screws holding the rear drops in. I've had ZERO issue w/ it (perhaps 1200 miles so far, mostly dirt) but more importantly, another rider has the same set up on his mountain frame from Miracle.
    Also -ZERO issues.

Of the things about this frame I don't like (riding position, straight fork w/ no compliance), the rear drops are not a concern anymore.

-JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Hello, thank you for very good thread you write here...very interesting. And make me consider this frame so much. From the post here I learn there are 2 provider thru axle frames; CS-286 2015 Newest disc cyclocross carbon frame for 135mm QR/142*12mm axle - Xiamen Carbon Speed Sport Goods Co.,Ltd and 2015 New cyclocross bike thru axle 142mm-Carbon bike frame,Carbon bike parts,Carbon bicycle frame,Carbon road frame,Carbon MTB frame Questions: are they actually the same frame with different sales point? (Because when I checked group they are same) Anyone has experience with both of companies?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by noufa777 View Post
    Hello, thank you for very good thread you write here...very interesting. And make me consider this frame so much. From the post here I learn there are 2 provider thru axle frames; CS-286 2015 Newest disc cyclocross carbon frame for 135mm QR/142*12mm axle - Xiamen Carbon Speed Sport Goods Co.,Ltd and 2015 New cyclocross bike thru axle 142mm-Carbon bike frame,Carbon bike parts,Carbon bicycle frame,Carbon road frame,Carbon MTB frame Questions: are they actually the same frame with different sales point? (Because when I checked group they are same) Anyone has experience with both of companies?
    They look identical.

mtbr member
    When mounting my front wheel it is as if the front fork is maybe 5 mm too wide for the hub and I can easily squeeze the fork to flex it to fit and it compresses easily with the through axle hub, but is this normal? None of my other bikes ever did this so it had me concerned, but I just did 150 miles on it yesterday on it's maiden voyage and it held up just fine and I didn't notice any flex while riding.

mtbr member
    I'd say that 5mm too wide is 5 reasons that something is wrong.
    Either the hub is too narrow, or the fork is too wide. Either way- until I understood it, I wouldn't use it. But that's me.

If possible, please meaure the inner width at the axle of your fork. A 15mm thru axle fork should be 100mm wide.
    I'd say my Miracle fork is perhaps a half millimeter too narrow. Maybe.
    Thin enough that it can hold a F wheel in place w/o the axle, but barely. It squeezes it just enough.
    Or stuff your cross wheel in a mountain fork. Should fit well enough for this test.

What hub are you using?

Please measure that and I'll compare it to mine when I can.
    If you have any other F wheels that are 15mm TA, you might put them in the fork just to see how they fit. Even if you have to let all the air out of a mountain tire's wheel it'd be a test to see if your hub is too narrow, or the fork is too wide.

I'm the clown that usually uses gear way past when it should be retired, but if I were in your shoes- I'd be too scared of that fork to pedal it.
    If it's made incorrectly, who knows what else is wrong w/ it.

It should pop out of a mold at the correct width. If that's wrong- I doubt it's their fork mold. More likely something else is amiss.

Let me know your width, and we'll go from there.

-JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

banned
    Mar 2015
    What do you think about these wheels ?

Look at attached pictures of road/CX disc tubeless wheels, front 38mm-25mm, rear 50mm-25mm

Hubs: DT 240s custom road/CX disc hubs
    Spokes: sapim CX-Ray
    Nipples: Sapim self-securing nipples
    Rims: Carbon Speed 700C clincher tubeless compatible rims TM38C-25mm, TM50C-25mm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-img_0087.jpg  

Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-img_0088.jpg  

Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-img_0089.jpg  

Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-img_0090.jpg  

Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-img_0091.jpg  

Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-img_0093.jpg  

Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-img_0096.jpg  

mtbr member
    Umm.....
    Light and stiff spokes.
    One of the most perfect hubs out there- really DT 240s are the good stuff. To me, they are much better than King (unless you need ano bling)
    Don't know anything about the rims.

Am pretty sure that would be a wonderful wheel set.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Chicken Bones View Post
    Umm.....
    Light and stiff spokes.
    One of the most perfect hubs out there- really DT 240s are the good stuff. To me, they are much better than King (unless you need ano bling)
    Don't know anything about the rims.

Am pretty sure that would be a wonderful wheel set.
    Agreed - that wheelset is pretty much optimal. I'm using 38mm deep front/rear with the same hubs (albeit 350s because I'm cheap) - they've been perfect all season with both road tubeless and cross. Just make sure you can get some tubeless valve extenders for that 50mm.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Here are the promised photos ...

c1gary- We were promised a photo!
    Here they are...

Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-img_2777.jpgChinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-img_2778.jpg

mtbr member
    Lose that beard and you could gain upwards of 10 seconds when riding in your local park!

(If that sounds like I'm a shade unhinged, I am. Stoopid living at 9000 feet in the Rockies means a nice sunny day like that w/ no full legs/arms is way behind us now)

I like the blue tape.

Along these lines- Can anyone point to a failure of these frames in any way?
    Have we seen any cracks yet? Each time I shudder thru a stack of breaking bumps on singletrack I wonder about that fork. Even though I have no reason to!
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm not finding these frames in stock anywhere online, anyone have a tip where I can pick one up? Checked asian cycle and xm carbon speed, neither have them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty904 View Post
    I'm not finding these frames in stock anywhere online, anyone have a tip where I can pick one up? Checked asian cycle and xm carbon speed, neither have them.
    They are almost always available on Aliexpress.

Here's one example: 2015 NEWEST Thru Axle Carbon Cyclocross Bike Frameset 142mm Rear Spacing Fork 15*100mm Axle 160mm Rotor Disc Brake 50cm UD Matte-in Bicycle Frame from Sports & Entertainment on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

mtbr member
    Want to buy my frame/fork/headset/axles?
    New last spring. Ridden though not as much as it should have been!
    I know- blaspheme.
    I think I'm going to try these 29er+ shinanigans w/ some of the Miracle's parts.
    Once it starts snowing here, my brain starts churning on new projects.
    This video keeps haunting my brain. Something about grassy roads and drop bars.
    http://youtu.be/C7hEitIsuM4

-JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Want to buy my frame/fork/headset/axles?
    New last spring. Ridden though not as much as it should have been!
    I know- blaspheme.
    I think I'm going to try these 29er+ shinanigans w/ some of the Miracle's parts.

-JCB
    PM Sent

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

I know- blaspheme.

-JCB
    Careful JCB it's the top of a very slippy slope going 29er +

Next thing you know you'll be getting into full fat.

Keep watching Coastkid videos and you'll be there in no time LOL and you could do a lot worse than watch his back catalogue. Excellent videographer.

Fat Biker

mtbr member
    Daaaannnnggg.... You know how to kick a guy Fat.
    Phat Bikes.... Damned things are the stand up paddle boards of winter.
    One day people will say "I used to have a lower back tattoo...." Someone else will say "Hell, I had a SUPaddleboard!"
    I just hope I can't trump them all by saying- "You folks don't know what it's like- I used to have a fat bike."

And yet the allure of them continues to pull at me. Then I see one go by and think "Please god- don't let me be that clown...."

A friend of mine likes making frames. He's made af ew fat bikes.
    We would take them out at night and ride down the ski slopes here in Colorado. They weren't too bad, but not compelling enough. Not yet at least.

I only ride bikes for fun and (maybe I'm just a grump- wait No, I am definitly a grump) and the world of fat just isn't that fun to me. Fun yes, not fun enough.
    Not fun enough to add one more bike to store and care for. Not fun enough to watch new standards make my new bike look old one season later.
    Maybe when tire prices come down (and I get them cheap already) and axle/BB standards calm the hell down. Maybe.
    That Ice Cream Truck had my attention for about w week.

As it is, there are ample roads that are groomed here (though I call it plowed) and my town bikes are studded so I'm going for a ride.

-JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Well hook line and sinker for me.
    Took the plunge and built an alloy "cross" / "urban" bike.
    It's perfectly fine BTW.
    But felt I needed a carbon fat bike to add to the stable. (already got an alloy On-One Fatty, XT equipped and reverb, 30+lbs)
    The carbon currently has MT8's (yeah I know, well see how the hold up) Next SL's, carbon hoops etc. Not quite finished yet but sat around 20.5lbs (if only I could get some Juggernaut Pro's it would be sub 20lb )

Come to the fat side JCB.. . . . . . . . . .

we have cakes

Fat Biker

mtbr member
    Fat-
    My first instinct was to point out the way that some vegetarians will work so hard to make a veggie meal that's like a carnivore's meal.
    "Great Lasagna!" (yea, can you believe it's all veggie)
    Or tofu burgers, hot dogs, and whatever else.

Like how Gary Fisher tried so hard to make (well, to market as such) their early 29ers feel like a 26" wheel.
    I get it, we want all the good and none of the bad. Not sure if it's human or American nature, but it's sure my way. I want a bike that rolls like a 29er yet is playful like a smaller wheel.

And if I had some bloated rubber shod dirge (wait, is a dirge a boat? Or a dreary Irish song? What is it they put trash on? Oh- a barge.) anyway, If I had a fat bike I too would want to clip all it's fat bad wings, and keep only the good stuff.

And man am I a sucker for trick brakes. Good luck w/ the MT8s.
    They are one of those bits that I want to work. Sure Shimano carries the lionshare of the brake markey lately but, that'll change and it's about time Margura had some of the lime light.
    What is your fat crabon frame?

And I heard this said- Cake is the steak of dessert. And I love me some steak.
    Fat- I don't know where you live but if- if I ever get to pedal fat near you, I'd like to see what there is to learn.

As it is, I ride some (though never enough) w/ a certain fat rider of the LaceMine29 variety.
    When he talks, I listen. Well, more accuratly- I watch what he's riding and try to learn.
    Yet I just can't seem to embrace the Phatness of his world. Not yet. Though he predicts I'll be on something wide before long. He also says that anything less than about a 2.5 is dead to him. Or mostly dead.

It's late. It's snowing.

-JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    JCB

The frame is one of the many Chinese iterations of the FM190 (19") . The geo's not that great (think loooong chainstays - not good for the super steep technical climbs I like to do but hey ) I chose it so I could fit decent size rubber in there for winter and some nice 29+ rubber for summer. Yet I needed clearance at the stays (for either option) to cope with the year round mud over here in the UK.

Spring, summer, autumn (fall - ) or winter. The seasons just vary the temperature of the rain and the amount. So mud tends to range from thick and sticky to a gloopy paint consistency.

I am of the float on top of the mud not cut through it school of thought. So with that in mind. Fatties fit fine . Plus they fit my prefered riding pace these days too (slow - LOL )

I've not got to ride the bike yet but the brakes don't feel too great in testing. The levers come far too close to the bars when trying for full power for my taste. But we'll see in real world testing. If they don't work out I'll just get some XTR's or maybe try the new Guides, who knows ?

Are you gonna try one of the new carbon asymmetrically stayed copies of the Stache for your +bike experiment ? I think one of those with some drops on would be awesome, especially with the variable stay length.

The thing is with fat you either get it or you don't. That's not to slight anyone who doesn't though. If it clicks for you great if it doesn't well ride something that does. One aspect of fat that I think does affect peoples opinion is wheel weight. You need to get a ride on a lightweight wheel setup of your chosen chariot before making any kind of decision IMHO. But then that can be said about any discipline of cycling really. Even cyclocross LOL.

Back to the regular scheduled programming folks.

Chinese carbon cyclocross. Are there any newer frame designs floating around yet other than the one (possibly two) discussed in this thread ?

I wouldn't mind finding the Chinese raw version of this beauty

Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-cboobbbcx1_p1.jpg

Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-cboobbbcx1_p2.jpg

Rear clearance looks to be quite good for some fat rubber too.

Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-289131_p10.jpg

Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-289131_p8.jpg

It's an On-One / Planet X Bish Bash Bosh (Here). Beautiful machine, just a little garish and expensive (even for just the frameset) for my tastes .

Fat Biker

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    c1Gary - Nice meeting you yesterday at the bowl of death! What a mudfest. Thanks for letting me take a quick look at your bike. I'm still a little concerned about tire clearance, although your bike looked fine with CX tires and all the mud we had. I would like to run at least 38mm tires for some gravel grinding, etc. and am concerned about the rear clearance, any help? Also, it looks like the rear dropout has a small hole that could be used as a set bolt for the rear 142x12 nut. Any idea if this is a possibility?
    Thanks again and good luck for the rest of your CX season!

mtbr member
    Andy-
    I've run Nano 40c tire's on mine. No issues really but stepped the rear down in width a bit to a 38.
    The 40s worked but I was afraid a bent rim or extra mud would screw up the frame and a ride.

Yep-stuff a bolt in that dropout and your rear axle nut will stay out. It's how I'm running mine.

-JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by foresterxt View Post
    It's been a few months in the making, but I finally got her built up last night. It took Jenny a few months to get me a 56cm frame and about 8-weeks back and forth on the paint (trying to figure out what colors they actually had available wasn't easy).

My primary use is CX racing (lots around here in Minneapolis) I was unsure on how it was going to come together so if it was a turd, it was going to be relegated to my pit bike. It's a mix of ebay parts I got on the cheap and some Chinese tubular wheels I had built up on the cheap as well. I would say only have about $1500 into her.

I must say, I'm super stoked on how it turned out! All up weight with my Ti eggbeater pedals is 15lbs 14oz, which for a thru axle disc bike exceeds my expectations. I was shooting for under 17lbs. I need to get the tires glued on and put her thru it's paces on the local Wednesday night CX races. I'll report back.

Cheers,
    Dave
    This bike is really beautiful, where does the frame? that code has? thank you

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Biker View Post
    JCB

The frame is one of the many Chinese iterations of the FM190 (19") . The geo's not that great (think loooong chainstays - not good for the super steep technical climbs I like to do but hey ) I chose it so I could fit decent size rubber in there for winter and some nice 29+ rubber for summer. Yet I needed clearance at the stays (for either option) to cope with the year round mud over here in the UK.

Spring, summer, autumn (fall - ) or winter. The seasons just vary the temperature of the rain and the amount. So mud tends to range from thick and sticky to a gloopy paint consistency.

I am of the float on top of the mud not cut through it school of thought. So with that in mind. Fatties fit fine . Plus they fit my prefered riding pace these days too (slow - LOL )

I've not got to ride the bike yet but the brakes don't feel too great in testing. The levers come far too close to the bars when trying for full power for my taste. But we'll see in real world testing. If they don't work out I'll just get some XTR's or maybe try the new Guides, who knows ?

Are you gonna try one of the new carbon asymmetrically stayed copies of the Stache for your +bike experiment ? I think one of those with some drops on would be awesome, especially with the variable stay length.

The thing is with fat you either get it or you don't. That's not to slight anyone who doesn't though. If it clicks for you great if it doesn't well ride something that does. One aspect of fat that I think does affect peoples opinion is wheel weight. You need to get a ride on a lightweight wheel setup of your chosen chariot before making any kind of decision IMHO. But then that can be said about any discipline of cycling really. Even cyclocross LOL.

Back to the regular scheduled programming folks.

Chinese carbon cyclocross. Are there any newer frame designs floating around yet other than the one (possibly two) discussed in this thread ?

I wouldn't mind finding the Chinese raw version of this beauty

Name:	CBOOBBBCX1_P1.jpg 
Views:	419 
Size:	136.5 KB 
ID:	1029903

Name:	CBOOBBBCX1_P2.jpg 
Views:	441 
Size:	133.7 KB 
ID:	1029904

Rear clearance looks to be quite good for some fat rubber too.

Name:	289131_P10.jpg 
Views:	537 
Size:	151.6 KB 
ID:	1029905

Name:	289131_P8.jpg 
Views:	438 
Size:	126.9 KB 
ID:	1029906

It's an On-One / Planet X Bish Bash Bosh (Here). Beautiful machine, just a little garish and expensive (even for just the frameset) for my tastes .

Fat Biker
    You got me looking at the Planet-X site, I really like the look at some of the Tomac bikes on there but I wonder why they sell the Planet-X Frames for so much more? I'm looking for an unbranded version of this guy. Tomac Montezuma Carbon Adventure / Gravel Road Frameset | Planet X

Basically I want a carbon frame with maximum tire clearance yet without long chainstays (430mm or less preferably). They are two contradictory ideas I know but does anyone have any other suggestions?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I'm with Rusty on "wants". It sounds contradictory like he says, but I race Cyclocross, so I want short chainstays and mid 60mm BB drop. I would also like clearance for Nano 40c or Knard 41c. I also need a higher stack than average due to a back fusion. I would also like thru axles front and rear. I am asking too much, but I got a right to dream, right? So either an aggressive gravel grinder or relaxed cx racer(?).

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy13 View Post
    I'm with Rusty on "wants". It sounds contradictory like he says, but I race Cyclocross, so I want short chainstays and mid 60mm BB drop. I would also like clearance for Nano 40c or Knard 41c. I also need a higher stack than average due to a back fusion. I would also like thru axles front and rear. I am asking too much, but I got a right to dream, right? So either an aggressive gravel grinder or relaxed cx racer(?).
    So I like this one from Planet-X as a decent compromise. Too expensive for what it is but I suppose you could get some decent support plus the paint job is pretty sweet IMO. https://www.planet-x-usa.com/i/q/FRT...-road-frameset

Even weirder they sell a "Viner" Branded version of what appears to be the same frame for $570 more??? They also sell Viner and Tomac branded versions of what appears to be the frame everyone on this thread is using. Biggest geo differences I'm seeing between the two is the gravel variant has a lower bb (55 vs 70 drop), longer TT lengths, 5mm longer chainstays, and taller headtubes.

Also found this on Ican's site. I personally think it's a bit of an uglier frame but the geometry numbers look ok and it's supposed to clear a 40c tire. Haven't asked about pricing yet.
    AC129 WIDE Disc brake frame Cyclocross 2015 - Shenzhen ICAN Sports Equipment Co., Ltd.

Really want to find an unbranded version of the "Montezuma" frame. I do like the paint but I don't want to pay a huge markup for a branded frame ordered out of a catalog.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    The Montezuma does look interesting, however, it is the first frameset I've seen w/ a 12X100 Thru-Axle fork. I emailed them and they confirmed it is 12mm not 15mm. I agree that it is probably a $500 frameset being sold at 40% off at $850.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy13 View Post
    The Montezuma does look interesting, however, it is the first frameset I've seen w/ a 12X100 Thru-Axle fork. I emailed them and they confirmed it is 12mm not 15mm. I agree that it is probably a $500 frameset being sold at 40% off at $850.
    Weird! I didn't even notice that! I kind of assumed it was the same 15x100 axle they put on the "Mesa Verde" frame. I guess I could shim down a 15x100 hub to fit, otherwise I don't know where you'd get one to fit. I like the patriotic paint on that bike but it seems a little ironic on a Chinese catalog frame sold by a UK based company.

Ican quoted me $500 plus $80 shipping on their AC129 frame. Wish it had thru axles and wasn't so ugly!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by foresterxt View Post

Cheers,
    Dave
    could you do a quick parts list of what you used and the source of the wheelset. If the tubulars were inexpensive enough I would be tempted. thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterXu View Post
    What do you think about these wheels ?

Look at attached pictures of road/CX disc tubeless wheels, front 38mm-25mm, rear 50mm-25mm

Hubs: DT 240s custom road/CX disc hubs
    Spokes: sapim CX-Ray
    Nipples: Sapim self-securing nipples
    Rims: Carbon Speed 700C clincher tubeless compatible rims TM38C-25mm, TM50C-25mm
    with 240s and 28 spoke cxrays I thought they might be a little lighter. Obviously the deep rims add the weight. Is it worth it? I don't imagine much aero advantage on a cross bike? I suppose the V shape rim sheds mud better. and granted the wheels are stiff but are they that much different than lets say a 30mm deep rim. So I look at those wheels and yes they will look sexy on my cross rig but are they worth it. Or would a wheelset with 30mm U shaped rim with DT 350 hubs be approximately the same weight, same stiffness but cheaper price point?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    To anyone still thinking about this frameset or fork (Miraclebike):

if you have a front hub with end caps like here on the right:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8X...Ca3R1Yk1J/view
    you're gonna have a problem because the insets on the dropouts are too deep and the hub is effectively too wide for the fork
    This end cap is from a Fastace hub, but SRAM X0 has similar ones. I had to had mine ground down on a lathe and the dropouts still need work because there's a little bit of play with the wheel installed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    longtime reader, first time poster. Wanted to share my experience with Miracle Bikes and the MC286 frame. We ordered 2 matching framesets for my wife for cyclocross. This is our 5th (and 6th) chinese carbon frame but the first from Miracle. Easiest the smoothest transaction so far and Jenny at Miracle was great. Ordered BSA threaded frames, so I just had to wait for those to get in stock. Placed the order in October and they were here the first week of January.

Can't comment on the ride myself and the wife hasn't actually ridden it yet, but the quality appears to be top notch. The paint is just fantastic, especially when it was only $60 to add. We were actually going for a more Trek Boone color light blue, but it came out celeste. I'm sure Miracle has only a limited color palette and this was as close as they had. Not a big deal and I wasn't going to complain for the price. Just had to order some celeste bar tape though to match and haven't received that yet, so no tape on the bars yet.

For the thru axles, I ground down the front nut so it would fit flush in the in the fork and then epoxy'd it into place. So no need to worry about it falling out everytime you take the wheel off.

The build is Shimano Ultegra Di2 with the hydraulic calipers. I had to drill out the cable hole covers so they would fit the hydraulic lines. One set was large enough to fit Di2 or hydraulic lines, but the other was smaller to just fit cables. Not anything that a few minutes with a drill didn't fix. I built the wheels with DT 350 hubs, Cx Rays and Stans Grail rims. I've also got two sets i'm still building with the same hubs but with 38mm carbon tubular rims from aliexpress.

Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-img_1729.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    are you sure you'll be able to position your front axle lever in an acceptable way with a different hub and no way to turn the nut?

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    The lever spins independently of the axle once you close it about 2/3's of the way. So you can place it wherever you want once you have the axle screwed in.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    weird
    gotta take another look at mine!
    by the way, any chance you could find an X0 hub or one with similar end caps to try and put in this fork? I wrote before (in this thread) that there appears to be a compatibility issue

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    The only other thru axle hubs I have are HEDs. They fit fine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I love the paint job. I also found the custom paint job on mine to be of good quality. For anyone designing a custom paint job, I believe Miracle Bikes uses YS paints. I don't remember MB mentioning it anywhere on their web site. I had bought a previous frame through velobuild.com, which did say on their web site that they used YS paints, so I assumed Miracle Bikes was likely using the same suppliers. I specified YS paint numbers in the graphics I sent to them, and the finished frame had exactly the colors I was expecting.

I got the same size frame as the one in your picture for my wife. The exceptionally steep seat tube angle on that small frame has made it a challenge getting the seat as far back as she wants. I'd be curious what your wife thinks of it after she has tested it.

mtbr member
    Well done Seamusdog. That's a sharp paint job.
    The revival of this thread has me chomping at the bike bit as per usual in Feb. Also as usual when it won't stop snowing here in Colorado.

So... W/bikes on the brain, what will the spring rides include?
    Hopefully a pack of the Kokopeli.

-JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016

New Build - Miracle FM286 56cm Frame

I have just finished a bike build using the Miracle FM286 cyclo-cross carbon frame. The build was seamless and frame arrived promptly and in perfect condition. My contact was Sally Li at Miracle Bikes.
    I am very satisfied with this bike and the frame. I use it for a combination of road and trail/gravel riding and its beautiful to ride.

Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-img_9503.jpgChinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-img_9505.jpgChinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-img_9506.jpgChinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-img_9510.jpgChinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-img_9514.jpgChinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-img_9515.jpgChinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-img_9639.jpg

Specifications are:
    Weight: 8.4kg (18.5lbs)
    Frame: FM286 142/12 rare, 100/15 front axle UD matte carbon frame
    BB: BSA - fitted with Ultegra SM-BBR60
    Crank: Ultegra 6800 mechanical 52-36
    Cassette: Ultegra 6800 11-32 cassette
    Shifters: Shimano ST-RS685 2x11-speed
    Brakes: Shimano BR-RS785 hydraulic disc brakes
    Rotors: Shimano Disc Rotor SM-RT99S 160mm Center Lock
    Pedals: Shimano Ultegra Pedals SPD-SL PD-6800
    Hubs: White Industries CLD front & Rear (142/12 & 100/15)
    Saddle: Fizik Arione R3 Braided Carbon
    Rims: Stan's Notube Grail Cyclocross
    Tires: Continental Grand Prix 4000S II 28C
    Stem: Easton EA70 (+6 degrees)
    Bars: Easton EC70 SL3 Carbon Dropbars (42cm)

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    can't understand matching $500 frameset with $500 hub set
    coulda bought carbon rims with that

mtbr member
    Nice Stealth Build JD.
    Really like all that black. Esp the cranks.

Now you just need some slight bling near the seat to echo that blue theme.
    I'm sure you've searched seat collars!

I don't understand what's going on w/ that rack it's on. Can you give me a manufacturer name for that thing?
    Always looking for a new way to store the bikes.

In the end I made mine into a 9 speed. Will keep the SS to the mountains.
    A SS CX bike is just too narrow a window of usability for my cadence/knees/enjoyment.
    Last fall pedaling up a long mountain pass the insanity of a SS road-ish bike hit me full force.

Go ride.
    -JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    In the end I made mine into a 9 speed. . . .
    Last fall pedaling up a long mountain pass the insanity of a SS road-ish bike hit me full force.

Go ride.
    -JCB
    But how's that BB holding up JCB ?

That's the question on everyone's lips

Fat Biker

mtbr member
    Well Fat....
    Should have gone Praxxis.
    The Wheels Manufacturing was a lame bandaid.

That damned BB area isn't my favorite part of the bike.
    Even bought a PF30 adapter to make it thread in but not permanently. (because it's way cheaper than the Praxxis)

And as you all know (I was the last to learn this) PF30 isn't the same dimension as BB30 so I'm sitting on that piece
    (Anyone want it? Free? Just pay shipping and I'll give you this BB30-BSA adapter)

Frustrated as I am, it's likely I'll just glue the original BSA adapter in and run it.

I ride some bikes and think of where I could take it. Where could it take me?
    I ride the Miracle and keep thinking about what to change on it.
    So now that it's geared I'll try to clear up the last self created BB area issues.
    And I'll think about what stem might make more comfy.

And one day, maybe I'll wonder where it can take me.

On a side note-
    I went fat at the end of this season. For a specific trip. One where I'd tie a pack raft to the bars.
    Ride a bit, float a bit. Smile lots.
    About a week before we were to set off I got pneumonia. So I missed the trip.
    Now have a fatso that I'm using as a 29+.
    And well....
    I think that it was pretty un-fun in fat form. Just slow and sluggish but it's not anywhere near the svelte end of the fat spectrum.
    But in 29+? Bordering on amazing and quite capable.
    But the trip looked terrible. So glad I missed it.....
    (all lies)
    Big Wheel Building: Fat 'n happy.

So even a crusty chump like me has learned a bit.

Hope you are excite to pedal as things get nicer here and there.
    Go ride.

-JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Thanks JCB.

As for the bike stand it's unfortunately called "Yuki Bike Stand Japan", although I suspect, like all things, its made in China.

https://www.facebook.com/bicycle.jp/...78802242166812

The stand is great if you need to conserve space. Basically it was the difference between my wife letting me store the bike in our laundry and not. Cost was around THB1,200 (US$35).

Cheers

JD

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by bruto View Post
    can't understand matching $500 frameset with $500 hub set
    coulda bought carbon rims with that
    Fair comment. I have done about 20 builds with Chinese carbon frames and so I am probably more comfortable with the quality and performance of these frames than other people might be. You need to choose your supplier carefully, but otherwise I have had no issues. Therefore I don't have a problem matching this frame-set with quality parts, but can understand how others might see this as a miss-match.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JD_Cyclocross View Post
    Therefore I don't have a problem matching this frame-set with quality parts
    I thought the main reason everyone bought open-mold was so we could afford to splurge on the bling? When I still raced, because I spent ~$500 on open mold frames (DengFu and later Xiamen XPlay), I was able to build disc brake cross bikes with Dura Ace, SRM Hollowgram, and Enve Twenty9 XC carbon tubular disc wheelsets!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Just curious:
    How many people here ride this thru-axle fork from Miraclebike and other merchants?
    You know, the only unbranded one that comes up on ebay if you search for carbon cyclocross thru-axle fork, with 410g listed weight and a distinctive cable guide on the side
    Are any of you heavy?

mtbr member
    That's a great question but I don't know if any can really answer it.
    Don't know how many ride em, or how many were sold.

I do know that I (170lbs) have ridden plenty of singletrack, dirt road, and some pavement on it.
    It's not bad. Not at all.
    I'd like to see a more clean thru axle. The frame is fine, but it'd be good to see one clean TA bolt, maybe tightened by a 6mm or so. No clunky QR lever hanging off the side.

And I'd like to try a more comfy seating position.
    Look at all the photos on this thread- we all like a stack of spacers under the stem. Most of us anyway.

-JCBones
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    a hex head axle would be inexpensive to make locally
    the one they sell is inconvenient, but it's not the big deal with this fork Mine snapped yesterday, under me
    yay for lightweight carbon

now I'm out a fork, a carbon rim, a shifter, a cheap saddle
    surprisingly, my thin wind jacket and pretty as hell Castelli jersey escaped unscathed

mtbr member
    Whoa.
    SOrry about the bits but hope you're OK.
    Not sure there's many ways a fork can break that allows you to come out of it not mangled.
    Jeeez. Dang Muchachooo. DANG! Brutal.

Can you be a bit more clear about the event?
    You were using a Miracle fork? RIding along? And it snapped under you?
    Can you tell me more about what happened?
    Any chance at photos of the damage?
    Where did it occur? Cracked that the crown?

Jesus.
    Next time I'm headed anywhere on this thing, I'll be spooked all to hell.

I know a machinist and have thought about bending his ear for a TA or two. He did start Manitou back in the day, seems to know a few zillion things about things.
    Just standing in his garage is a treat, even if he doesn't want to help.
    Will try to keep you posted on the TA event.

Tell me more about your fork crash PLEEEZZZZZ. Please?

-JCB.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Under braking, of course - it's the most extreme force acting on a disc brake fork

Mileage under 1000km, my weight is 80kg
    failure happened when braking from 20-something kph, no idea if it was an instant one or just a culmination of fibers breaking gradually during previous brake applications

Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-img_20160515_184709_rsz.jpg

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
    I'm ok, though, it really picked a safe place to break I guess

be spooked, man
    Don't know if they changed the layup at some point and made it beefier, but all the ebay and aliexpress listings still show the same weight (410-415g uncut)
    Last edited by bruto; 10-31-2016 at 06:46 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I know a machinist and have thought about bending his ear for a TA or two. He did start Manitou back in the day, seems to know a few zillion things about things.
    Just standing in his garage is a treat, even if he doesn't want to help.
    Will try to keep you posted on the TA event.

-JCB.
    Why not make your own JCB ? I did for the fatty . Held up to their maiden gentle test run yesterday just fine . Rear is 197mm x 12mm front is 135mm x 15mm so a 142mm x 12mm and 100mm x 15mm should in theory be less flexible/stiffer/stronger . Using armchair physics if course (definitely the most accurate without a doubt )

Made them out of carbon tubes , 3mm aluminium [sic] rod , titanium shock pivot bushings , titanium bolts and aluminium [sic] washers . Think I saved 120g out of the pair IIRC .

Rear :- 12mm external 8mm internal over a 60mm shorter piece of 8mm external 6mm internal carbon tube . Push a shock bushing in each end (they were 30mm long and 8mm diameter hence 30mm x 2 = 60mm) . Cross drill with a 3mm bit through tube and bushing 25mm from end and pin with alloy rod . All bonded together with some suitable adhesive (I used Liquid Metal epoxy for this first attempt)

Front :- Built up as per rear but an additional 15mm external 12mm internal tube was used to sleeve over to gain strength and the required extra girth .

Bond one bolt in one end of each axle .

Easy peasy . Job done .

6'2" and 215lb - 225lb of Fat Biker didn't snap 'em in the first 10 miles of gentle dry gravel trail .

I'll keep you posted on their longevity

Oh BTW approx $50 - $70 for everything should see 2 full sets of axles for front and rear .

Fat Biker
    Last edited by Fat Biker; 05-16-2016 at 01:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Been talking to a Chinese company Aelbike before this crash cause I didn't like the dropouts on Miraclebikes' fork anyway.
    And they have this: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8...2tXLXd5TkxSdkU
    + 450g uncut so slightly beefier than this other fork
    + fender eyelets
    + $95 with an axle (plus shipping which is 50-60 or thereabouts via fedex)

- flat mount (but there're cheap adapters)

If anyone is interested in a T-A CX fork at a less mind-boggling price than TRP/3T/Enve/etc., I can put you in contact with them
    The email lady said they've been making this model for 3 years, none came back in pieces yet (as if they'd tell me otherwise

On the fence myself, waiting for velocarbon to reply to my warranty claim and looking at other options

mtbr member
    What the hell is going on here?
    I stay away from the web for a few weeks, then return to find homemade thru axles and broken forks?
    Has the world gone crazy?
    (Extra points if you get what movie they is from)

Fat- any chance of some photos of your DIY TAs?

Bruto- given my spooked feeling for snapping Miracle forks (my phone just tried to make that into "miracle girls") interested in that new fork.
    Please keep the data coming and a web link would be great.

-JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Many many apologies here JCB I lied !
    It wasn't 120g saved it was only 112g
    Oh the shame . What can I say the grey matter's not what it used to be

Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-_20160407_173718.jpgChinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-dsc_0015_7.jpg

Also these are the only 2 pics I have left after my phone died

Might be enough to get the gist of things otherwise I will have to take some more , if required

I also need to do some measuring as I think I have found a better source or bolts and washers (A more robost design used in karting I think ???)

If you can use a drill (a press is better)
    And you can use a saw (blades specifically for cutting carbon are available)
    Or a Dremmel with a cutting disc .
    These are simple to make.
    Opposable thumbs are quite handy too (but I struggled here as can be seen by my attempts at image manipulation )

Fat Biker

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    P.S. I might even turn the lights on for the next pics

Fat Biker

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    this is the company, JCB:
    https://aelbike.en.alibaba.com/?spm=...228.0.0.R3r26T
    Products-ShenZhen YiErLan Sports Equipment Technology Co.,Ltd
    looks like a bunch of open mold products, like in so many other places
    the fork in question is called ACC-D779 and it's not on the site for some reason
    apparently, they can make it with both PM and flat mount - but you have to order quite a few to get them made to your spec, so that's for bulk customers only
    an individual like me or you is offered whatever remains in stock

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Biker View Post
    Why not make your own JCB ? I did for the fatty . Held up to their maiden gentle test run yesterday just fine.

Fat Biker
    This is really impressive! I would love to see a step by step guide with pictures. That's asking a bit though.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pgm83 View Post
    This is really impressive! I would love to see a step by step guide with pictures. That's asking a bit though.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    Thanks PGM . Not as impressive as them actually staying in one piece under my lard LOL

Fat Biker

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    carbon tubes like these might be hard to find
    no idea where you get them

mtbr member
    Damn Fat.
    Damn.

I'm pretty much drowning a slow death during a week long work training.
    And I'm thinking about DIY thru axles.

It does sound like plenty of work to do, but I'd be thankful for a more step/step process of those things.
    Very cool.

If you get off your lazy ass and finally do something for me, I'll send you a bag of M&Ms.
    Yea- you read that right.

Big promises man. Big promises.

-JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    PMSL . Oh you know me so well JCB
    Anything for an M&M .

Will see what I can muster for the weekend (I only got Sunday off this week )

Patience guys patience LOL .

Fat Biker

P.S. Camera skills notwithstanding so don't be expecting tooooo much

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    pulled the trigger on the D779 fork from these guys: https://drive.google.com/folderview?...&usp=drive_web
    Turns out, they're a long time mfg partner of Aprebic ( http://www.evo.com.tw )
    Who, according to the SGS document scans on the former's site, make or used to make Whisky forks. Likely to different specs/with stricter QC and maybe not in Shenzhen but in Taiwan. Stilll, better credentials than some

aelbike/yierlan also have a beefier T-A fork with an alloy steerer (D757 in the catalog), but they didn't have it in stock so, fingers crossed, I won't regret not waiting for that one as D779 will serve me for years without failure

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    For the record, this other fork (Aelbike/Aprebic ACC-D779) is 60g heavier than Miraclebike's after having the steerer cut to the same length (445 vs 385g), despite having more slender fork blades, which, I think, is a reassuring sign. Flanges are shallower too, so it won't have a problem with my Fastace front hub (stepped endcaps didn't sit flush with the dropouts on the broken fork, allowing the wheel to rock a little even after being tightened up)

Held up fine during a recent outing (although I'm reluctant to brake from 50kph to full stop now, so didn't really test its limits to the extreme

The mud clearance is a little smaller, though, and 40c Kenda Flintridge on a 20mm IW rim doesn't have enough to avoid accumulation of muck between tire and crown. But that's a wrong tire for mud anyway (slides easily), so no biggie I guess

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Is there a thread with Chinese carbon merchant reviews/feedback around here? My fork story is kinda over, I'd like to post a summary where more people can see it

mtbr member
    Bruto-
    Not that I've seen. Maybe start your own and we'll see if other folks w/ similar events chime in.

-JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    crossposting then: Chinese Carbon Thread and Ebay direct version 7.0 - Page 23
    tags: velocarbon, miraclebike, sucks

mtbr member

Miracle For Sale! 54cm

On paper this bike is perfect, under me- not so. Well, to be honest my road bike doesn't do my neck any favors either.
    Pretty sure road geometry and my neck aren't the best pairing.

So the Miracle frame/fork are for sale.
    It's not a Salsa, I just had these old stickers. They'll peel right off if you don't want them.
    54cm frame
    Custom paint. (the black bands are reflective)
    BB30 or BSA (w/ included BSA insert)
    Includes several drop outs so you can make the rear QR or thru axle.
    Includes Miracle seat collar and headset.
    In the photos you'll see a seatpost, seat, bars, brakes... But it doesn't include those.
    Just the frame/fork/drop outs listed above/front and rear axels/headset.
    If you are interested in running it as a single speed- I'll include the Wheels Manufacturing eccentric BB30 adapter.
    Eccentric Bottom Bracket for BB30 & 24/22mm (SRAM, Truvativ) Cranks - Red

I'm happy to ship in the US, and happy to take any questions about this frame/fork.
    Need different photos? Let me know and I'll take em.

$500, I pay shipping.
    Go ride, it's June.
    -JCB
    Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-img_0420.jpg

Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-img_0422.jpg

Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-img_0425.jpg

Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-img_0435.jpg
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I´m normally riding MTB but will for the variation ride some CX i the coming fall/Winther.

I have been running thru the complete tread and maybe I have overseen my questions. But it seems there is a lot about the axels and other technical stuff such as tire clearance but I am looking for some "reviews"/experience of the handling in CX terrain (in other words, the geometry).

When I compare the FM286 frame geo with e.g. CruX and Mares it seems like the BB i sitting relative high and that the Stack is pretty aggressive. But as I’m new to CX I am not aware have big effect this will have on the handling and “body feeling” after many hours in the saddle and on the tracks.

Can anybody help with some experience and also on witch size of FM286 frame you are running (incl. your height and inseam).

Thanks in behalf

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    HenrikJ, nvm the stack number, unless it's too high and you're a road racer
    if the HT is short, just keep more of the steerer and use the headset spacers, then you can gradually lower the bars until the fit suits you

Also not sure how many people here would notice the BB height difference of 1cm unless it meant catching pedals on the ground in turns

oh yeah, and read my post about Miraclebike experience above (#post12688865 ) - fo286 T-A fork that comes with FM286 is really too light to feel safe riding it and I can't recommend the seller as far as customer service is concerned

fortunately, they aren't the only place selling what you want

you can check this seller out: a-dbikes | eBay
    he was selling nice Taiwanese framesets at a discount (like $550 for the set with cane creek 40 HS) on several occasions
    here's the CX w/geo: https://www.a-dbikes.com/product/ube...ted-frame-set/

then there's Flyxii: Cyclocross - ShenZhen Flyxii Sports
    no T-A options listed, though, but:

Yishunbike/Lightcarbon/ACEbike appears to sell the frame made in the same mold as one of Flyxii's, but with thru-axles (albeit 12mm in the front): YISHUNBIKE
    If it's made by them, then there's likely a difference in manufacturing process (Yishunbike point out their superior manufacturing), but no way to confirm unless they tell you
    Not sure if the T-A and QR forks here are the same model with interchangeable dropouts or entirely different

You can also buy just the frame you like and source a fork elsewhere
    I ride Aprebic after my FO286 broke and it's certainly beefier (was $105 with axle, too, but I was lucky to seriously save on shipping)
    Can post their contacts if anyone wants
    There's also the massive and seemingly unbreakable Trigon fork being sold at reasonable price by bike24.com (but QR only): https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content...menu=1000,4,21

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks for your feedback Bruto.

Regarding the BB high (app. 10-15 mm higher) and the low stack I would presume that the handling of the bike in the terrain would be agile. Or said in other words, would be difficult to handle I technical terrain??
    Regarding the axel I can see there have been a lot of debate and learnings witch I have to have in mind.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    found the Aelbike/Aprebic fork on ebay: 2016 New 700c T800 UD Matt Tapered Cyclocross Disc Brake Carbon Gravel Bike Fork | eBay
    take this if you want thru-axle at the front instead of FO286
    it's flat mount, though, so you'll need this adapter:
    https://static.bike-components.de/ca...2f8135bfb.jpeg

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Has anyone else had any problems with the Miracle Bikes frame? I'm thinking of getting one, maybe the new CX028 (Flat-Mount), to have a geared option for longer gravel rides and maybe to actually try and do well in some CX3 and Master's races. It's tough to get into the top 10 on a single speed CX bike and I'm not getting younger.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    ask them how much the fork alone weighs

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Henrik J View Post
    Thanks for your feedback Bruto.

Regarding the BB high (app. 10-15 mm higher) and the low stack I would presume that the handling of the bike in the terrain would be agile. Or said in other words, would be difficult to handle I technical terrain??
    Regarding the axel I can see there have been a lot of debate and learnings witch I have to have in mind.
    Is there really no one that cane give a review of the FM286 frames handling abilities ??

Live Free & Ride
    I'd go with OnOne over one of these Chi-carbon cross frames. Well reviewed, with warranty and comes with the right thru-axles. Available as a frame or full build...can even get it with straight bars. Seriously considering this over building an unreliable Asian carbon frame with too many unknown issues. Plenty of space for 40c tires and it may even fit these fatties: Riddler 45c | WTB

On One Bish Bash Bosh SRAM Rival 11 HRD Adventure Bike | Planet X
    17 Fuel EX 9.9 (in progress)
    19 FM 279 carbon gravel
    17 Stache 29+
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r

https://kettleheadbrewing.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Mtbiker View Post
    I'd go with OnOne over one of these Chi-carbon cross frames. Well reviewed, with warranty and comes with the right thru-axles. Available as a frame or full build...can even get it with straight bars. Seriously considering this over building an unreliable Asian carbon frame with too many unknown issues. Plenty of space for 40c tires and it may even fit these fatties: Riddler 45c | WTB

On One Bish Bash Bosh SRAM Rival 11 HRD Adventure Bike | Planet X
    Hello!

I have some question, that I haven't find any info on: can You post some tyre clearance photos with Your 45C tyres on?

Thank You.
    Pavel.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by c1gary View Post
    Here they are...

Name:	IMG_2777.jpg 
Views:	779 
Size:	206.3 KB 
ID:	1025691Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2778.jpg 
Views:	657 
Size:	181.0 KB 
ID:	1025692
    Good looking bike C1Gary! What kind of tires are those?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Well a pothole just destroyed my Traitor Crusade frame. First time I've ever broken a frame of any kind. I need a replacement and I'm having a hard time deciding between Chinese carbon, particularly the "workswell" WCB-C-112 or a name brand aluminum frame like a Trek Crockett or a Kona Private Jake.

The Boone is $750, the Kona is $700, and the Workswell is $590. Not sure whether to go with lighter, cheaper carbon or more reliable aluminum. I will be racing so weight will matter a bit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    WCB-C-112-workswellbikes

The Workswell

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty904 View Post
    I hadn't heard of Workswell before. From the photos and geometry charts, it appears to be identical to the Miracle Bikes CX028. I'm curious whether both come from the same factory through different sellers, or if "open mold" truly means there are multiple copies of the same mold out there.

I built two Miracle Bikes MC286 in mid 2015 (58 cm for myself and 48cm for my wife). I have put about 700 miles on mine so far and I have no reason to believe it won't last for many more. I also own a Chinese road frame bought from Velobuild, and I would say the build quality of the frames from Miracle Bikes was slightly better. However, there have been some minor flaws. The 48 cm frame had a front derailleur mount that was misaligned by a few degrees, making it hard to get the front shifting to work as well as I wanted. I eventually converted it to 1X for other reasons, so it's no longer a problem. The MC286 also had what I considered to be some design flaws: overly steep seat tube in smaller frame sizes, high bottom bracket and short head tube across all sizes. The CX028/WCB-C-112 remedies all of these, giving a full 2cm increase in stack height across the whole geometry range, plus the extra tire clearance.

mtbr member
    Anybody want to buy my Miracle?
    I'll make you a screaming deal in order to justify a new trip. I mean to fund, I mean to make it OK w/ the wife.

54cm. Built up Spring of 2015. Ridden more last year, less so this year.

Lemme know. Maybe we can find a price that works for each of us. I'm leaning towards the $350-$400 mark.
    Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-image.jpg
    -JCBs
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    FO286... from Miraclebike uh-huh

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Hey Bruto
    Thanks for the link to the fork option. I didn't realize the miracle fork was so light. Even the 779 on ebay at 410 gms seems light for a thru axle cross fork. Now that you have had the new fork for a while what is your opinion. Still okay? What do you think max tire size is? Is the thru axle fit good? There were some comments about a little slop around the miracle axle in the dropouts. Cable routing goes thru the fork leg okay? I'm not crazy about the placement of the fender mounts on the dropout...I think they could have put those on the inside of the leg higher up and hidden them better. Did you ever see the same fork without fender mounts? Anyway would appreciate your opinion.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    the fork is fine, but it didn't see alot of riding
    TA fit is ok, I glued the nut in to make my life easier, no problems whatsoever
    I run 40c Kenda Flintridge tire on 22mm IW rim and it's fine with about 10mm of clearance all around as long as you don't go looking for sticky mud
    When I found some, I had to walk the bike or clear the mud every so often

as far as brake cable routing is concerned, it's not the best fit for TRP HY/RD, but might work better with other calipers (I run the cable through the leg anyway cause it looks cleaner)

Aelbike make evern bigger fork now, by the way: https://aelbike.en.alibaba.com/produ...avel_Fork.html
    looks massive enough to fit a 27.5 wheel with a DH tire (not sure it could handle the braking forces such a tire can generate, though)
    I'm eyeing it myself

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    the fork is fine, but it didn't see alot of riding
    TA fit is ok, I glued the nut in to make my life easier, no problems whatsoever
    I run 40c Kenda Flintridge tire on 22mm IW rim and it's fine with about 10mm of clearance all around as long as you don't go looking for sticky mud
    When I found some, I had to walk the bike or clear the mud every so often

as far as brake cable routing is concerned, it's not the best fit for TRP HY/RD, but might work better with other calipers (I run the cable through the leg anyway cause it looks cleaner)

Aelbike make evern bigger fork now, by the way: https://aelbike.en.alibaba.com/produ...avel_Fork.html
    looks massive enough to fit a 27.5 wheel with a DH tire (not sure it could handle the braking forces such a tire can generate, though)
    I'm eyeing it myself
    Thanks for the info. I will have a good look at the heavier version. I don't mind a few extra gms especially on the fork and 450 is not that heavy. When you glued in the nut does it actually slide into the dropout much like the backing nut on a chainring bolt or does the axle protrude thru the dropout and the nut is threaded on.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-img_20161110_113802.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Name:	IMG_20161110_113802.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	149.7 KB 
ID:	1104672
    Thanks. Looks great. AEL replied back and they also have the same fork as yours but with the fender mounts not on the dropout but further up the leg...model 8009. 420gms This is one of those few times I wish it were a little heavier for a bit more peace of mind. The 700/29er model is a bit heavier at 445 but the clearance I think a little overkill for typical cross tire sizes. Anyway thanks for the legwork.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Just a quick update on my MC-286 frame from Miracle Bikes. I purchased the frame back in 2014 and have been happily riding it ever since. No major problems to report.

Riding yesterday morning on a relatively flat section of road, I felt a clunk in the crank area, I stopped pedaling, looked down, and the whole bottom bracket section had come out of the frame! It's a threaded bottom bracket, so the external cups were still intact. Basically, the whole bottom bracket area, with the cups and the crankset (of course) just popped out towards the drivetrain side.

I was about 3 miles from home, so I tried to kick the whole contraption back into the bike, which worked partially and allowed me to limp my way home.

Since I've had the frame for almost 3 years, I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that I'm probably not going to get any kind of warranty replacement, but I emailed Jenny at Miracle Bikes anyways just to see what response I'd get. I haven't heard back from her yet.

Just my 2 cents, and maybe this is a common occurrence with these frames, but I've never seen the bottom bracket just pop out of a frame before. It's like someone didn't epoxy it strongly to the carbon portion of the frame.

Like I said, I'm not super disappointed, since I got 3 good years out of it, but just a note of warning to those people thinking of purchasing a chinese no-name frame.

Overall, I loved the frame and had no major complaints up until this point. Maybe I'm lucky I didn't have catastrophic failure on a fast descent and do some major damage to myself.

Here are some pictures. You can see the whole crankset and bottom bracket area is about 1 cm towards the drivetrain. This is after I forced it back in with my foot.

.Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-img_20170116_161541.jpgChinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-img_20170116_161507.jpgChinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-20150619_101541.jpg

mtbr member
    Gluddy-
    You're in a place that I was a few weeks after purchase.
    But do not despair! Your situation is easily remedied and low cost solutions are available.

In my situation- the inner BSA sleeve became unglued. Once you remove that sleeve- it's a BB30. And there are several options to make a BB30 work with external cranks.

The cheapest way might be to glue in a new sleeve. There are several options. From all my web research I leaned that this is usually a permanent solution. Or at least until it fails again!

There are also several versions of external adapters. I went with a KCNC and found it to be clean, simple, and served me well.

Either way- your solution is a simple one.
    Slightly unfortunate but with a simple solution.

Please keep us posted.
    JCBs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks JCB for your positive comment. I think I may mess with it this weekend, it looks like the bottom bracket shell should come out fairly easily.

I wonder if I can access part of the bottom bracket shell through the removable plate on the bottom of the frame. I'm almost certain I can take out the shell, clean it, and epoxy it back into the frame. I'll keep you updated.

mtbr member
    Scanning back thru my admittedly broken and missing brain files....

No, you can't access the BB shell from the cable panel.
    You'll be able to see it, but won't be able to interact with it in the way that your wondering about.

-Bones
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member

The End of My Mircale

I'm the guy who had the BSA BB fall out Spring of 2016.
    I'm also the guy that Miracle was amazingly good to. They worked hard to find me a way to get the BB I wanted.

And I'm the guy that thought the bike wasn't for me. More comfy wise. My neck is too old or something. Whatever it is, the bars are too low for my comfort.
    Lots of single track later, plenty of gravel road... I figured I'd sell it.

Posted on here 1 or 2 times. Nope. No interest. My price got lower, a few questions came in but mostly- nope. No buyers.

I've ridden it more. Some days are good, others I think about new stems and a higher stack.
    It's been SS and 1x9.
    It has all the check boxes for a perfect bike. But it's not to be.

Pulled all the bits off recently. A good winter cleaning/buffing.
    Then I found this.
    Glad it never sold. I'd hate a buyer to think I'd screwed em.
    Not sure if it's the clear coat or the actual carbon. Do know it's very odd place for a crack.
    This is probably the nail in the coffin for this frame.
    What I'm seeing as a crack is that line above the BB shell.

Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-img_2945.jpg

Not sure what I'll do w/ it. Maybe saw it up. Maybe make it into a planter.
    If I do chop it up-
    Do any of you need any of the frame bits? Small little pieces that sit in the frame as cable stops? The Miracle seat collar? Headset? Axles? Dropouts (TA and QR), Want the fork?
    I'd hate to ditch those bits if somebody needed em.
    First come first seved. You pay shipping.
    -JCBs
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Bottom Bracket Repair on my MC-286

Hi all,

Just wanted to update everyone on my BB repair on my MC-286 frame. The shell on my BSA bottom bracket came out when I was riding a few weeks ago, I've been putting off the repair until I had done some research.

Miracle Bikes was no help, but I figured that would be the case. i didn't even get a reply from anyone there.

Anyways, I finally pulled off the crank and bottom bracket cups, and realized that the shell just pops right out with an easy hit from a mallet. Definitely not in there like it should be.

I went ahead and epoxied (sp?) it back in place, using the Gorilla brand epoxy where you mix 2 different tubes and apply before it dries. I even pressed it back in place with a bottom bracket press.

I let it it cure for a few days, then reinstalled my bottom bracket cups and crankset.

Took it for a post repair ride, and it rides great. No movement or sounds from the bottom bracket. I'm really pleased with the repair, and how easy it was.

Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-img_20170129_155623.jpgChinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-img_20170128_173419.jpgChinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-img_20170128_173048.jpg

mtbr member

How to kill my frame?

I posted a few days ago about getting rid of this frame due to a possible crack at the BB.
    Since then I've pulled all bit off and the fork. Everything but the frame has been sent to a new owner w/ the hope that it'll keep a rider riding when needed.

So that leaves me w/ a frame.
    Just a frame. No axles, no dropouts nothing.

Seems like a way for us to learn something. Anyone? How do I destroy this frame?
    If possible, I'll photograph/video it's failure.

Anyone have some ideas on how we can test this to see how it lives/dies?

All I can think of is putting a large pipe/dowel in the BB, then putting another in the headset and getting all medieval on it.

Pretty sure I'm not going to put this type of time into the project but it'd be cool to see.
    Santa Cruz Bicycles - Test Lab - Pinkbike

-JCBs
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    take it to ultrasound maybe it's not broken after all and can be sold to recoup the cost of above procedure

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I posted a few days ago about getting rid of this frame due to a possible crack at the BB.
    Since then I've pulled all bit off and the fork. Everything but the frame has been sent to a new owner w/ the hope that it'll keep a rider riding when needed.

So that leaves me w/ a frame.
    Just a frame. No axles, no dropouts nothing.

Seems like a way for us to learn something. Anyone? How do I destroy this frame?
    If possible, I'll photograph/video it's failure.

Anyone have some ideas on how we can test this to see how it lives/dies?

All I can think of is putting a large pipe/dowel in the BB, then putting another in the headset and getting all medieval on it.

Pretty sure I'm not going to put this type of time into the project but it'd be cool to see.
    Santa Cruz Bicycles - Test Lab - Pinkbike

-JCBs
    I'd like to see some gradual increase of destruction. Start with a rock, then slash at it with a knife, then beat it with a hammer, chop it with an axe. Set it on a saw horse and drop 10-200 lbs of weight on it from the side.

And lastly, melt it with a heat gun!

mtbr member
    Given the many tubes I have to work with, I could easily whack at the top tube a bit w/ various materials.
    Then use the down tube for other torture!

-JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    try making it burn

mtbr member
    I just watched a few you tube videos about burning CF.
    Not sure it'll burn so great! The paint will burn well probably but maybe not the carbon.

But, fire is added to the list of destruction.
    And a hammer.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    you might need fluorine

mtbr member
    Nov 2015

Has anyone built up a miracle cx536 frame , it looks like it's got wide tire clearance and bb options. I was told a 58 would be 1508 grams for frame and fork. I'm looking for a gravel rig and something I can still race single speed with an eccentric bb.

http://www.miraclebikes.com/products...nCXbi03005738/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

thru-axle and cantilevers? makes sense

mtbr member
    Nov 2015

thru-axle and cantilevers? makes sense
    I think it can also run 9 x 130 with an interchangeable dropout

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    So before I pull the trigger miracle bikes cx535 is a good frame/good supplier with some minor build issues(cable routing, ect)?

I don't wanna pull the trigger on a maybe not so good one.

Do you guys order direct from the website or alibaba?

Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Preface: I've only skimmed the 8 pages so pardon me if I missed something.

Looking for some input of current/previous frame owners, or anybody that can offer input in general.

Is there a significant difference between Miracle Bike, Yishun, Workswell, Flyxii, or other brands that are found on Ali/eBay?

The models I'm considering are:
    Flyxii FR603
    Workswell WCB-C-112
    MB CX028
    Yishun LCX027-D

I'm not very particular on which dropouts the frame has as both qr and thru axle wheelsets are readily available used in my area. I'm really only interested in BB30 so that I could use an eccentric bb for a ss setup, and disc brakes. Beyond that, I haven't researched other options, and I figure all the manufacturers I listed offer the same finishes.

mtbr member

Angle Cycle AG028

I bought the AG028 disc brake and 12x142 / 15x100 thru axle frame from Angle Cycle last year, along with their V-brake / std QR AG038 frame for a friend.

I built the V-brake frame and posted it here. As I wrote on RBR, my dealings with "Kevin" last year before and after placing my order were top notch. I hope Kevin is still with Angle, and if so, I wouldn't hesitate to order from Angle again (been eyeing their AG336 27.5+/29/29+ frameset).

I missed out on getting the wheelset I originally wanted for the disc brake / thru axle 'cross bike (November's carbon "Range" wheels, that were sadly discontinued shortly after they became available).

However, after waiting patiently this spring for November's RFSW3's built with A Force's innovative Al33 alloy rims (~33mm deep, ~20mm inner width, toroidal U-shaped cross section, ~475g), I finally built up the AG028.

Unlike the V-brake frame (weighed 1090g on my postal scale), I was too hasty to weigh the Disc/thru-axle frame or fork prior to completion. But I don't doubt it's within the range Angle spec'd on their site,"1080g +/- 45g". Front fork has approx 56mm space bw blades at the crown of my 622x25mm tires, while chainstays and seatstays have approx 50mm space between the stays. IIRC, the maximum tire width is spec'd as 40mm, but one should be able to run 42mm tire up front easily, and possibly in the rear as well, without things getting too tight.

Anyway, here it is, currently built for paved road use w/ 50-34 cranks and 12-27 cassette:
    Chinese 2015 cyclocross bike frame 142mm thru axle-image.jpg

As shown, it weighs a hair over 19 lbs, including TRP Spyre mech disc brakes, 160mm Shimano ice tech rotors, old school Time "Alium ATAC" mtb pedals (claimed weight 425g) and small saddle bag (w/ steel core tire levers, Crank Bros multi tool, patch kit). So I dunno—it's probably under 18 lbs without pedals or saddle bag.

As for the building process, it went together fairly smoothly. I had to get a 6mm tap and chase the disc brake threads, but GXP BB threaded into the shell without problems. Getting the full length rear brake housing through the frame required a bit of elbow grease, but I bet it would have been much easier if I put a bit of that gel lube electricians use to pull wire through conduit on the leading inch or 2 of housing. Did the usual snaking brake wire through the internally routed liner, pulled the liner, then snaked housing over the internally routed brake wire.

So far on the road, it rides great. The only other carbon frame I've owned and ridden was a Tarmac, and this has the same quiet, muted road feel, as well as stiffness around the BB—stomp on the pedals and it moves without hesitation just like the Tarmac did. And as expected for 'cross oriented geometry (70.5 deg HA, 73 deg SA, 425mm chainstays), it's noticeably more stable descending twisty mountain roads than a typical race-oriented road bike. Of course, wheels and tires play a big role in how the bike feels, and I'm extremely pleased with November's RFSW3's mounted with 25mm Conti GP 4000S II tires—they spin up quickly, feel plenty fast riding tempo, and are stable in cross winds.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234