CHarge plug- Mtbr.com

Thread: CHarge plug

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

CHarge plug

I am purchasing a 2015 Charge plug from performance.
    Product: Charge Plug Road Bike - 2015 Performance Exclusive

What do you guys think for a first cross/commuter bike?
    I want a bike that can do everything. And possibly touring later on. Opinions?

Can anybody shed me any light on the steel used for this bike? Its called charge straight gauge steel i believe.

Cheers

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I looked into this for two reasons 1) Price and 2) I got a lot of gift cards to Performance. My oldest boy, 13, out grew his last bike in one season. He now rides a 56 like me. The size 56 weighed 28 lbs. That's more than my upper entry level 29er.

I like the idea of a steel frame but this one is straight wall tubing. Probably bullet proof but also heavy. Similar to what Big Box stores use on their bikes. Probably a better grade (WAG) though.

For the price I liked the features. If weight is not a concern, I'm sure it would make a great commuter and most likely touring bike. Not sure about cross, awfully heavy in that regard.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have the Plug 3.
    Great bike, I love it.
    good commuter/touring/casual riding bike.
    I have taken mine off-road when the need arises but I have commuting/touring tires on it so do not do it often.
    Its a bit on the heavy side but the steel soaks up road chatter giving a very smooth ride. My old aluminum road bike tore me up after a few miles
    More relaxed geometry adds to comfort. My endurance gives out long before comfort does.
    Stock saddle is the most comfortable saddle I have used. Need to replace the grip tape. Changed the cassette to a 11-32 (I live in a very hilly area and needed a bit lower gear). Might replace the brakes with TRP/HYD but the Promax are holding upwell.

I don't know much about CX but I believe the Plug has a low BB compared to CX frames. I think it could handle a CX race but if you are serious about CX racing I would look elsewhere.

The Plug is not a road racing bike.

For everything else, I would recommend it

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    The plug series at level 3 and above gets double butted Tange Infinity chromo tubing. The 2's and below get the straight wall tubing which adds additional heft. At Level 3 and above they also

The plug has a BB drop of 69mm compared to most CX bikes which run between 55 and 65.

I have to agree with Whacked in that if you want primarily a commuter that is bullet proof and can be used for touring and maybe off road riding, it seems like a solid choice, especially at the price point.

I am still drawn to it but would prefer maybe a Plug 3.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    My Plug 3 was just shy of $900 OTD.
    Would have gotten the Plug 4 if the pearlecent (sp?) paint didn't fade to pink. I would get no end of grief from the local rednecks.
    Plug 5 was going thru the SRAM recall at that time, so was not available.

mtbr member
    I had a plug freestyler as a fix/ss, changed to drops on it and loved it, managed some gravel tracks but anything more no chance.
    Its based on track geo so to get the tt length the st was enormous with barely any stand over.
    Id think you could build up a better more cx direction commuter with an one on pomp or klaffenback for similar cash

Give it death