Best tires for road AND loose rock/dirt trails?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Best tires for road AND loose rock/dirt trails?

OK so i have a Cannondale hardtail bike and I am looking for a tire that rolls well/decent on the road with spaced and deep cornering treads for very rocky and hilly trails (in germany) any suggestions?

~thanks

P.S. This isnt in the wrong subforum is it?

EDIT: Btw my bike has 26in x 1.9in tires atm but im looking to get wider ones.
    Last edited by HC-Rock Rider; 08-16-2012 at 10:29 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I've been really happy with the Schwalbe Marathon Mondail tires on my new cross bike:
    - A comparison of stark contrast: Continental Cyclocross Speed and Schwalbe Marathon Mondial Tire Reviews | ridingagainstthegrain

They ride within 1-2 MPH of my road bike on the pavement and really grip well in gravel, dirt and rocks. I run them (700x40) at 40-45 psi, although the min. inflation pressure is listed at 50:

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    thanks for the reply, i dont seem to be getting much feedback so i will try the All-Mountain forum. Those tires look pretty good, and schwable are a good brand so im considering them. Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    What I did was search all the touring type tires and find the one when a fairly aggressive tread. Schwalbe had a few in that category, and of those, the Mondial seemed to have the best combination of on and off road tread pattern. Figured that a touring type tire would be decent on pavement and wear a reasonable about of time. Tires are on the expensive side, but so far the tread is showing no signs or wear at almost 600 miles of riding, 200-300 of that off pavement, I think I just wore off the center mold line on the rear tire, the line on the front is still mostly there.

They have a tiny bit of tread hum on smooth pavement at about 18-20MPH, otherwise they are nice and quiet.

Unfit Norwegian
    Quote Originally Posted by HC-Rock Rider View Post
    thanks for the reply, i dont seem to be getting much feedback so i will try the All-Mountain forum. Those tires look pretty good, and schwable are a good brand so im considering them. Thanks

I'd suggest the Wheels & Tires forum.

Road and loose gravel/dirt trails are three very different surfaces, but I guess you should try XC/Marathon tires like Schwalbe Racing Ralph, Conti Race King, Maxxis Crossmark, etc. These roll great, and works fine off road. Not exactly "all mountain" grip, but for fast gravel riding and good performance on tarmac, while still working on rougher trails as well, I think this kind of tire would be your best compromise.

I assume you ride a hardtail MTB, and didn't reallywant cyclocross tire recommendations?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by HC-Rock Rider View Post
    OK so i have a Cannondale hardtail bike and I am looking for a tire that rolls well/decent on the road with spaced and deep cornering treads for very rocky and hilly trails (in germany) any suggestions?

~thanks

P.S. This isnt in the wrong subforum is it?

EDIT: Btw my bike has 26in x 1.9in tires atm but im looking to get wider ones.
    You will have a compromise in performance somewhere.

The Schwalbe Smart Sam or Black Jack rolls pretty well on pavement, but are scary if you corner hard.

On dirt they corner well but do not have the drive/braking grip of an agressive knobby. Not tires for wet/mud.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Hutchinson Bulldogs. Kind of a cool looking tread (color contrast gray in color) and relatively low rolling resistance on the road, just enough grip on dirt. Nice supple casing too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Tube blowout problem with Mondials

I have a been having an ongoing problem with tube blowouts and would appreciate any advice.

To be specific, I have had eight blowouts, mostly but not always the rear wheel, and have investigated every cause I could think of without success. Fortunately no crashes have resulted. I have confirmed that tire pressure is correct (I've tried the rated 85 lb max and 10 lbs below the max), checked that the wheel is true and that the tube is not pinched on install. I have tried a variety of quality tube brands.

I finally confirmed (I saw it happen) that the tire was coming off the wheel allowing the tube to bulge out and blow. This can happen on smooth, straight level pavement only moments after mounting a new tube.

I have wide rims (Velocity Psycho) with Schwalbe Mondial 700/40 folding tires. The tires go on very easily (no tools needed and very little effort). The blowout problem does not exist with the no-name cheap 700/38 tire I am now using. I did not have the problem with a wired Mondial although it had a flat spot and was replaced under warranty with the folding model.

Is the issue with the folding Mondial (is there a problem with its construction -- i.e. a millimeter or two too big) -- or is this rim too wide for the tire. Before purchasing this, Velocity confirmed to me that this combination was fine althought it does not fall within Sheldon Brown's recommended specs.

I'm a heavy rider and carry heavy touring loads -- hence the big tires and strong rims -- but have never before encountered this situation on any bike I've ridden. Most riding is on roads or smooth trails.

BTW, according to the Schwalbe website, it seems the folding Mondial is an altogether different beast from the wired version. It has a superior rubber compound and superior sidewall and, if it stayed on the rim, I would like to keep using it.

Any thoughts, experiences are welcome.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I have the folding bead 40mm tires on some narrow (~19mm wide) Vuelta rims and they seem to be working fine, very tight fit. I've been slowly lowering the pressure from 50 down to 40 now and no problems. I don't do any loaded touring with them, but rider+bike is a little over 200 lbs.

I had one Schwalbe Marathon Supreme folding tires on my road bike. The front one went on perfect, but the rear (different rims F/R) kept mounting out of round. Could not get an even bead seat all the way around. As such it felt like it had a flat spot that you could feel above 30MPH. Finally got it to mount up true by cleaning up the inside of the rim, I had used strapping tape in it a long time ago. Cleaned that all out and used the Velocity spoke hole plugs in place of the tape. What I do is mount the tire and pump it up to maybe 10 psi and then roll the tire over the rim with my palms, working around one side then the other side. Then I let the air mostly out and repeat. I had to do 3-4 inflate/deflate cycles until I finally saw a good bead seat, slowly increasing the pressure I pump the tire up to.

The other thing I did this time was that I marked where the tire high spot was. Then, I dismounted the tire and rolled it 90* relative to the wheel and remounted it. I think there was just one spot on the tire and rim that did not get along together and since I usually try to line up the tire logo with the valve stem, I kept lining up those two points every time I mounted the tire. But now it fits great and rolls really smooth. And the rear rim I run on the road bike is true, no damage and I inspected the whole bead seat area and all looks fine.

So you might try repositioning the tire on the rim (try 90* then try 180* and 270* as well) and really work it over to get it fully seated. If that does not work, it might be that the tire and rim just are not a good match.
    Last edited by 4Crawler; 09-14-2012 at 12:14 PM.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by asmac View Post
    I have a been having an ongoing problem with tube blowouts and would appreciate any advice.

To be specific, I have had eight blowouts, mostly but not always the rear wheel, and have investigated every cause I could think of without success. Fortunately no crashes have resulted. I have confirmed that tire pressure is correct (I've tried the rated 85 lb max and 10 lbs below the max), checked that the wheel is true and that the tube is not pinched on install. I have tried a variety of quality tube brands.

I finally confirmed (I saw it happen) that the tire was coming off the wheel allowing the tube to bulge out and blow. This can happen on smooth, straight level pavement only moments after mounting a new tube.

I have wide rims (Velocity Psycho) with Schwalbe Mondial 700/40 folding tires. The tires go on very easily (no tools needed and very little effort). The blowout problem does not exist with the no-name cheap 700/38 tire I am now using. I did not have the problem with a wired Mondial although it had a flat spot and was replaced under warranty with the folding model.

Is the issue with the folding Mondial (is there a problem with its construction -- i.e. a millimeter or two too big) -- or is this rim too wide for the tire. Before purchasing this, Velocity confirmed to me that this combination was fine althought it does not fall within Sheldon Brown's recommended specs.

I'm a heavy rider and carry heavy touring loads -- hence the big tires and strong rims -- but have never before encountered this situation on any bike I've ridden. Most riding is on roads or smooth trails.

BTW, according to the Schwalbe website, it seems the folding Mondial is an altogether different beast from the wired version. It has a superior rubber compound and superior sidewall and, if it stayed on the rim, I would like to keep using it.

Any thoughts, experiences are welcome.
    It is the tire/rim combo. Some just do not work well together.
    Get a different tire.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

jrm
    mtbr member

Really liking

the clement explor 40c MSO and 35c USH mounted on A23s.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Looks like this an older thread, but I'll offer some up.

I ride my CX bike on trails and the road - and I ride to the trails via the road.

I go with a fast rolling rear and a knobby front - and currently my set-up is a Ritchey SpeedMax on the rear with a Specialized Captain on the front. If I'm going to be riding primarily more with some off-road - and it's dry - I go with Ritchey SpeedMax front and rear.

So far, these tires have worked very well for me. They don't last very long, however.

I rode with 4Crawler this past weekend and we took him up some pretty rocky stuff. His set-up seemed to have held up very well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Dion, I think that was the rockiest trail I have ridden so far and the tires did fine, better than the legs and technique Only time I seem to have traction issues in in deep, loose dirt on steep climbs.

Still dialing in the pressure on them, down to 40psi f/r now. Will try dropping a few psi to see how that goes, trying to find a pressure that works well in the dirt while not being too slow on pavement.

Members who have read this thread: 0