mtbr member

anyone using Gevenalle shifters?

https://www.gevenalle.com/

I'm thinking about them. I am getting feed up with poor shifting on my 105 system. Seems like new cables only last a year, then there is enough friction to make RD shifts sloppy.

Would also be an interesting time to throw a XT RD on and have the ability to run 2X or 1X with a clutch.
    Ridley CX, Stumpjumper Carbon HT, Surly Wednesday

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    My thoughts exactly. I was thinking of instead getting a set of Microshift MTB bar end shifters so I can use a clutched rear mech. The Gevenalle sytems basically uses Microshift shifters. I've been using bar ends for so long that it might me hard for me to get use dto the Gevenalle setup.

since 4/10/2009
    I have a set of Gevenalle GX 2x10spd shifters mated to a clutched SLX RD on an 11-36 cassette and a 105 FD on my Salsa Vaya. Works pretty well. Best aspect, IMO, is how dead simple they are.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    I have a set of Gevenalle GX 2x10spd shifters mated to a clutched SLX RD on an 11-36 cassette and a 105 FD on my Salsa Vaya. Works pretty well. Best aspect, IMO, is how dead simple they are.
    That would be my exact setup (maybe xt instead of slx just because I have a take off RD).

11-36 cassette is a mt bike model right? I wasn't sure if the pitch between 10 speed mt and rd cassettes is the same. To start with I was planning on keeping my 12-30 ultegra cassette with the XT RD - will that work?

Rode gravel in dusty hot humid conditions this weekend and now the 105 sti hoods are shifting poorly again after getting them working well 3 days ago...

since 4/10/2009
    Should be fine in 10spd. Differences don't come up until 11spd, but those are only for the freehubs, not with chain compatibility or shifting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad_M View Post
    That would be my exact setup (maybe xt instead of slx just because I have a take off RD).

11-36 cassette is a mt bike model right? I wasn't sure if the pitch between 10 speed mt and rd cassettes is the same. To start with I was planning on keeping my 12-30 ultegra cassette with the XT RD - will that work?

Rode gravel in dusty hot humid conditions this weekend and now the 105 sti hoods are shifting poorly again after getting them working well 3 days ago...
    Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Belltown Brazer
    I've been running these shifters 1X10 with an XT rear deraillleur 40 X 11-42 I think. They work great on my cx/gravel bike. Work great if you mostly ride on the hoods. I have built a new bicycle and designed it to ride mostly in the drops. These shifters will come off and I'll put a bar end shifdter on. They are light and simple and are pretty natural to use - from the hood position.
    Departing from East Hampton, CT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MDEnvEngr View Post
    I've been running these shifters 1X10 with an XT rear deraillleur 40 X 11-42 I think. They work great on my cx/gravel bike. Work great if you mostly ride on the hoods. I have built a new bicycle and designed it to ride mostly in the drops. These shifters will come off and I'll put a bar end shifdter on. They are light and simple and are pretty natural to use - from the hood position.
    Do you find the Gevenelle (tektro) hoods to be comfortable enough for 4 hour+ rides?

since 4/10/2009
    Do you find the Gevenelle (tektro) hoods to be comfortable enough for 4 hour+ rides?
    I have been on mine for 8+hr rides mostly in the hoods and did not have any problems. I have them on salsa cowchipper bars, fwiw. I find the angles on them to be very comfy.

mtbr member
    Well, I pulled the trigger and had the LBS order the short pull 2x10 GX levers. I got a free 10 speed XT RD to use from a fellow mt biker who likes SRAM drive train.

I plan on using it 2x10 with my ultegra 46-36 crank and 12-30 cassette for gravel riding. For CX season, I will switch it to 1x10 with a ~42 tooth wolf tooth for ultregra and a XT cassette maybe 11-36.

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Chad, let us know how you like them. I just picked up a SRAM Rival 1 crankset last night. I really like how crisp the Microshift thumbie was paired with the clutched SLX RD on my last bike. That alone has me considering the Gevenalle shfters. But I also see where Microshift has a set of bar end shifters for MTB's. I've been running bar end shifters on this bike for the last 22 years so that is yet another option.

since 4/10/2009
    Well, I pulled the trigger and had the LBS order the short pull 2x10 GX levers. I got a free 10 speed XT RD to use from a fellow mt biker who likes SRAM drive train.

I plan on using it 2x10 with my ultegra 46-36 crank and 12-30 cassette for gravel riding. For CX season, I will switch it to 1x10 with a ~42 tooth wolf tooth for ultregra and a XT cassette maybe 11-36.
    I'm curious why they stopped drilling out those Tektro brake levers to use either short or long pull brakes. Mine have this feature and I actually am super happy with it. I had a random set of BB7 mtn brakes that I'm able to use, but could easily use standard road short pull brakes like TRP Spyres if I wanted an upgrade. It has definitely been a thought of mine.

Here's my setup:

DSCF2673 by Nate, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    I'm curious why they stopped drilling out those Tektro brake levers to use either short or long pull brakes. Mine have this feature and I actually am super happy with it. I had a random set of BB7 mtn brakes that I'm able to use, but could easily use standard road short pull brakes like TRP Spyres if I wanted an upgrade. It has definitely been a thought of mine.

Here's my setup:

DSCF2673 by Nate, on Flickr
    Sounds like you could call Adam at gevenalle. He was helpful answering any questions I had.

mtbr member
    anyone using Gevenalle shifters?-gevenalle-1.jpg

Only went for a couple mile ride last night, but really like them already

mtbr member
    Wish they'd do something for SRAM. I already have a long cage Rival 1 r/d and 42T cassette I can use...just need a shifter so I can throw the parts on my single speed now and then when I need some gears. I can use SRAM barend shifters...but I like the way Gevenalle incorporates the shifter into the lever.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

Belltown Brazer
    Sorry for the late reply - the hoods are comforatble enough for long rides. I liked the shifters but swapped them out when I made myself a new cx bike designed to ride mostly in the drops. The Gevenelles not so good for that. But for hoods poisiton they are great! B
    Departing from East Hampton, CT

since 4/10/2009
    This has more to do with sram and other shifter companies. Gevenalle just uses microshift shifters, which are only shimano compatible. Old shimano downtube shifters work, too. To use a shifter with a gevenalle setup, that shifter has to be compatible with old downtube shifter posts. Lots of stuff, but not everything works on those old posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    Wish they'd do something for SRAM. I already have a long cage Rival 1 r/d and 42T cassette I can use...just need a shifter so I can throw the parts on my single speed now and then when I need some gears. I can use SRAM barend shifters...but I like the way Gevenalle incorporates the shifter into the lever.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    A bit of a late reply, but I've been using that shifter setup for over 6 years on my Monster Cross bike:

https://www.4crawler.com/Photos/104_pana/CX700/3.html

No issues at all, I run a 3x10 setup (11-42 cassette) with a rapid rise RD. That makes both shifters move in the same direction, inwards to shift up to a higher gear. Brake handles are comfortable on long rides. As noted above, shifting with in the drops is hard, but I don't ride the drops a lot. With the 10sp shifters I have, I have the option of flipping to friction mode, if needed. To date, I've not needed that option, but nice to have if your shifter indexing gets messed up 20 miles out in the hills.