Anybody do some races yet?- Mtbr.com
    Wanna ride bikes?

Anybody do some races yet?

Serious lack of activity in this forum, cross season is in full swing. Anyone getting out there?

Post up some stories, or pics, or new cross bike stuff you bought, or brag about your big trophy. Stoke it up people.

The only pro cross race I watched so far this year was good stuff. Some ladies tearing it up and going HARD! Also some crazy fans, like the guy that was cheering on the riders by playing his Trombone?!?! Totally random and hilarious.

DH has chainsaws, cyclocross has trombones. (apparently, what happened to cowbells?)

First race results for OneSpeed...

The Bike: My sweet, sweet All-City Nature Boy 853. (sorry for the crappy pic, it's old and all I could find) This bike gets a lot of attention at the races. Killer paint job, buttery ride from the steel frame and carbon fork, fast, fun, awesome. Love it.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody do some races yet?-img_7751.jpg  

Anybody do some races yet?-img_8798.jpg  

Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

Up In Smoke
    ^^Nice bling!

I got a few races in already with mostly poor results. A little behind with my training, I've been doing a lot of volume but not enough intensity and its definitely hurting me. Dry, dusty, rough, and hot NorCal cross is brutal.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    ^^Nice bling!

I got a few races in already with mostly poor results. A little behind with my training, I've been doing a lot of volume but not enough intensity and its definitely hurting me. Dry, dusty, rough, and hot NorCal cross is brutal.
    I feel ya, I'm in great endurance shape but haven't done much short, high intensity riding in a while. That first race hurt.

It was also pretty hot here, for me that makes it so much worse. Bring on the cold, rain, snow, mud, etc. I'm ready. That's what proper cross races are to me, and I know it's coming...
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    No races yet, but we've been doing wednesday nite practices for several weeks. Fun stuff. The first race of the season in this area is next weekend. Looking forward to it.
    '01 Schwinn HG Comp - '12 Giant Defy 1 - '14 Kona JtS - '18 Rocky Mtn Altitude A30 - '19 Scott Spark RC Team

mtbr member
    1 DNF and 2 DFLs so far! I'm also doing singlespeed. The only time I've ever raced cross before signing up for this season was when I raced a beater fixie once years ago. Fall is crazy work-wise so this is keeping me on a bike. But no time to train.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I have had 2 races so far and have had good but not great results. That feeling of I know my fitness has been and can be better. I think the theme of endurance is not great CX training was felt loud and clear for me. I excited to see the weather change and hope to be in top shape in mid November. I look forward to cool rainy intervals.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    We've had several near Seattle, I've done 2 races. I picked one of the local series and I'm just doing that one, 6 races. Both were wet, 2nd one was pretty slick. I did more road riding workouts this summer (I usually do mostly mtb) and hooked up with some local faster road guys for a weekly high-intensity workout, I think that has helped me, it's 'easier' to do the maximum intensity workouts with others. I've had a 7th and a 4th so far in Cat 1/2 45+masters, those are better finishes than typical, but it's difficult to tell if I'm faster; slightly smaller race group, but everyone is excited about Nationals being in our region so I think a lot of guys are pretty sharp right now. That's me throwing the 'roost' on the old sworks, where else but cx can a 12 year old bike be competitive?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody do some races yet?-i-kmg6pgl-xl.jpg  

skidding is the signature of the novice; learn how to use your brakes.

Up In Smoke
    Took the win in the SS B category a week ago. First time I've won a bike race in close to 12 years, I forgot what it feels like to cross the line in first. Thankfully the race promoter set up a tricky little technical descent followed by a double hairpin chicane just before the finish and it allowed me a chance to use some technical skills to my favor.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    We had a dry nice weather race yesterday, rough and bumpy dirt/rocks so I brought my 29er hardtail (so that I wouldn't feel so beatup today). I finished a couple of spots back from where I have been finishing, but similar gap from the winner (8th out of about 20 in cat 1/2 masters). The mtb was better in the twisties and sand, but not as fast in the straight smooth sections, - but I'm not as fast in the straight/smooth sections as most of these guys so it's partly that. I also over-did my riding late last week and probably wasn't quite as recovered as ideal, still a good finish so I can't complain.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody do some races yet?-i-4kgdqcv-xl.jpg  

skidding is the signature of the novice; learn how to use your brakes.

mtbr member
    9 races in so far. 3 podiums and 5 top 5's so far. Missed a weekend thanks to a crash on the road but got back at it yesterday. Finished up 2nd overall in an early season series in the SS category. NCCX (the bigger series) starts this weekend. New bike (pictured, since you asked for pics) hasn't been raced much so far since I've been mostly racing the SS so it'll get some time this weekend.

Tried jumping in the big boy race once (Cat 1,2,3 race) and got SMOKED but had fun fighting for not-last (beat two guys). I also learned on a couple of occasions that I'm not quite fit enough to race twice in the same day. Tried it a couple times and both times the second race SUCKED. Finished off the early season series with a pretty fun race yesterday. The front 5 or 6 in the SS group did about 4.5 parade laps hanging together before it all blew up for a fast finish. I don't think the upcoming Cat 3 races will be as chill...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody do some races yet?-img_20190712_182656_2.jpg  

mtbr member
    I've been amazed, 6mo post heart surgery, not to mention age 42 and not thin, that I've been itching to try racing bicycles. We have two local race series, one of which (Folsom Rodeocross) is throughout October in a venue three miles from my house. I was all ready to try it, but my wife works late, so I'm the evening daycare and cook. O well...

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    Took the win in the SS B category a week ago. First time I've won a bike race in close to 12 years, I forgot what it feels like to cross the line in first. Thankfully the race promoter set up a tricky little technical descent followed by a double hairpin chicane just before the finish and it allowed me a chance to use some technical skills to my favor.
    Woot!! Hell yeah, congrats!
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Loud tyres save lives
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
    I've been amazed, 6mo post heart surgery, not to mention age 42 and not thin, that I've been itching to try racing bicycles. We have two local race series, one of which (Folsom Rodeocross) is throughout October in a venue three miles from my house. I was all ready to try it, but my wife works late, so I'm the evening daycare and cook. O well...
    As long as it's not a group that takes themselves too seriously I'd definitely go for it. There was a local series here which I took part in just to give CX racing a go and had a good laugh with it plus I liked just being able to turn up, race for an hour then go home again rather than the huge amount of preparation and time needed for an endurance race. Although there was the occasional rider taking it far too seriously it was mostly a light hearted atmosphere, that race series isn't run any more so I've been thinking of joining another local series but I don't want to take part in one where I feel like an idiot at the back.
    2014 Trek Fuel Ex 8
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2016 Trek Stache 7

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    CX season is full bore in Central Ohio. 3 races so far and NO podium spots for me... ha ( I did get on it in a MTB race Saturday ). Just one crash in a lake when I missed the turn on the beach...
    I can't run due to an old bad MX injury so courses with higher dismount counts hurt my finishes in CX.
    I'm still new to the CX scene but it's cool how may people come out.
    2016/18 Fuel Ex9 29
    2017 Domane SLR8
    2018 Boone 7

mtbr member
    Anybody do some races yet?-fe81d095-89f8-48da-8ad0-20c573358c39.jpg Tisí the season! I just did my second cx of the season. Finished 4th out of 82 at the start. I started 39th position. This was a cat 4/5 race, awaiting an upgrade to cat 4 so I can join the 3/4 race. Happy cross season!