35 or 38 mm tires for mostly paved riding- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2017

35 or 38 mm tires for mostly paved riding

Hey Folks,

I'm looking for a good lighter, fast rolling, g
    ood cornering
    tubeless
    tire 35-38mm on 23I rims to be used mostly for fast neighborhood bombing, some back roads and maybe even a commute now and then. I'm not much interested in actual cyclocross riding but like the cross geo for fast riding on tight loop courses on low traffic neighborhood streets. I see 5-10 cars an hour. The loops I have mapped out are 2-8 miles with enough hills to easily top 40 mph and cruise 18-20 mph on rolling streets.

I also have ideas about exploring different cities by bike, NY, Boston, DC etc.

Thanks!!

slow
    I am running 700x35 Kenda Small Block 8 tires for a similar application and really like them. They roll fast and have decent traction.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Panaracer gravel king special edition - great for pavement-packed dirt and gravel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I ride Gravel King 40c tires on my gravel/road bike and love them. I had 35c tires previous to those and I don't think I'd ever go back to a tire that small. But I do ride a lot of gravel so the extra cush of the 40c is nice.
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Vittoria Terreno Zero is worth a look if a decent chunk of the riding is on pavement and hard pack gravel. If there is a bit more dirt the Terreno Dry still rolls pretty well on pavement.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I have Barzos on my HT and they mount up about as easy as it gets. How are the terrenos to mount?

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by clydeone View Post
    Panaracer gravel king special edition - great for pavement-packed dirt and gravel

I like that one. How was it to mount tubeless?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I have Terreno Dry on one set of wheels (Novatec) they were a tight fit to get them on, but they sealed up easily and have had no issues with them.

Was between Terreno Zero and Gravel King SK for a new set of "gravel" wheels, ended up with the SK cause this set of wheels will be used more on dirt than pavement.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by scycllerist View Post
    I like that one. How was it to mount tubeless?
    Not bad - have an air compressor - I usually make a half hearted attempt with a bike pump and the go to the compressor - this one took the compressor

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I haven;t ridden them but almost bought a set of Teravail Ramparts. Went with the 700x35 Cannonballs instead since I do ride a mixture of road and off road. The Cannonballs are awesome and I expect the Ramparts would be more impressive on road.

mtbr member
    Kenda Small Block 8's

Eric
    If I don't make an attempt, how will I know if it will work?

mbtr member
    3mm difference between 35 and 38... they're the same size? Tire casing and tread/no tread is going to be much more influential.

Not too fond of SB8s; the center knobs wear quickly and then there's not much carcass to wear through. They score poorly on rolling resistance tests, too.

I'm using spec roubaix 32s for a similar application, set up tubeless. They're unremarkable, but they hit a good balance of durability, volume, cost, and casing stiffness. They measure 35c on my 25mm IW rims. They're more supple than gravel kings, but not flimsy as compass.

I don't see much benefit in having a tread until you're looking at like ~50mm etrto.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I'm giving the gravel kings a shot. They look good to me and I don't want to get caught up in analysis paralysis. I'll run them with tubes until I need a few more things then order the valve stems to go tubeless.

Thanks guys!!

jrm
    mtbr member
    Also run 32s. Panaracer tserv's with tubes @ 100psi...

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    Also run 32s. Panaracer tserv's with tubes @ 100psi...
    sounds brutal.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    The difference between 3mm is almost negligible, but I always opt for larger tires i.e. comfort. I just did a gravel bike century 100mi ride mostly pavement on Pari Moto 48mm's haha Balloons baby.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meeners View Post
    The difference between 3mm is almost negligible, but I always opt for larger tires i.e. comfort. I just did a gravel bike century 100mi ride mostly pavement on Pari Moto 48mm's haha Balloons baby.
    When I was on a pure road bike...the difference going from a 23c tire to a 25c was big and again from 25c to 28c was like day and night. 28c to 35c was quite noticeable and 35c to 40c was enough that I know I'll never go back to anything smaller than 40c on the road. Paved or gravel.
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    The Panaracer slick gravel king 38mm are on the bike. After just 18 miles I like them a lot. Bombing down the neighborhood hills is like sled riding.
    Last edited by scycllerist; 4 Days Ago at 05:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Will any of the above mentioned tires work tubeless with a hookless rim???

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jbell View Post
    Will any of the above mentioned tires work tubeless with a hookless rim???
    I don't know. You may have to contact the rim or tire manufacturer.