mtbr member
    May 2012

2018 Kona Rove ST vs 2017 Raleigh Tamland 2

Anyone have any experience with either of these? The Kona is mostly Rival with Sram s350 cranks and the Raleigh is a combination of Rival and Force with Rival 1 cranks.

Raleigh Pros:
    631 steel frame
    100x15 and 142x12 thru axles (already have upgraded wheels waiting)
    Through corporate its about $300 less than the Rove ($1279 for a bike listed at $1999.00)
    Can return if it doesn't fit

Cons
    Carbon fork (I like steel)
    Color sucks
    Probably less resale value
    Non removable steel derailleur hanger

Kona Pros:
    Steel fork
    Better resale
    Better color
    Removable hanger

Cons
    $300 more than the Raleigh with tax included
    100x12 thru axle so no upgrade to wheels in the near future.
    Finding an XL to try before I buy

Thoughts?

Wanna ride bikes?
    Hmm, I vote for the Raleigh and here's why.

I'm a sucker for a good steel frame, hands down the Raleigh has nicer tubing. I also favor a carbon fork over a cheap steel one. I've ridden/owned a couple steel Kona forks and frankly they don't ride very well at all. In fact the Kona P2 29er fork I own is the harshest thing I've even ridden. (sorry Kona, you still do other awesome things!)

You have a nice wheelset that will swap right in. Depending on the wheelset that's a huge upgrade. I don't see the steel hanger as a major down side, I agree a removable one would be better but not a deal breaker for me. Color I can't help you with.

Lastly I'm not sure why you think the Raleigh has a worse resale value? I would think it would hold it's value better? Either way, If your planning on keeping the bike long term, resale value doesn't factor in.

ultimately it's your money though.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    Hmm, I vote for the Raleigh and here's why.

I'm a sucker for a good steel frame, hands down the Raleigh has nicer tubing. I also favor a carbon fork over a cheap steel one. I've ridden/owned a couple steel Kona forks and frankly they don't ride very well at all. In fact the Kona P2 29er fork I own is the harshest thing I've even ridden. (sorry Kona, you still do other awesome things!)

You have a nice wheelset that will swap right in. Depending on the wheelset that's a huge upgrade. I don't see the steel hanger as a major down side, I agree a removable one would be better but not a deal breaker for me. Color I can't help you with.

Lastly I'm not sure why you think the Raleigh has a worse resale value? I would think it would hold it's value better? Either way, If your planning on keeping the bike long term, resale value doesn't factor in.

ultimately it's your money though.
    I just see the Raleigh as not being a very popular brand. Raleigh doesn't even have its own forum here which is confusing to me as long as they have been around. I just see people gravitating more so towards what name is on the down tube and it would seem Kona would bring a better turn around due to this. Thank you for the input though. I truly appreciate it.

Also, the wheels I would be swapping in is a set of pretorch i9s with arch ex hoops. Probably overkill for this bike but they are really light and in good shape.

Wanna ride bikes?
    No worries. I also have MTB wheels on my cross bike, actually two sets of MTB wheels for it.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    May 2012
    OneSpeed would you go with a rival/force 1x11 42x 11-40 or a 105 2x11 with a 34/46 up front and an 11-32 rear?

Wanna ride bikes?
    loaded question. I love the simplicity of 1x, if you don't need additional range I'd go with that. Gravel bikes that get ridden in some areas with widely varied terrain require a wide range like 34/50 chainrings instead of 36/46 which is sort of cross gearing, or at least it used to be.

Personally I don't have a major preference between the brands at the higher component levels, even though Shimano is better. Sram does get a lot of praise for their 1x drivetrains, but I'll never run their brakes again. Period.

Bottom line it's personal preference IMO and it will largely depend on where and how you ride. I manage just fine with only one gear so anything more than 1x is unnecessary and unwanted weight, complexity, and expense. Not everyone thinks like me though.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I have a Tamland 2, and am converting it to a 2x11 and hydraulic brakes due to the long mountain climbs and descents here in California, and my 200 pound body. I am very happy with the bike and with Raleigh's tech support.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    What size is your Tamland and how hard is the 2x upgrade?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    62cm. I haven't installed any of the new parts yet, but the difficulty will be on the wallet!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Zulu View Post
    62cm. I haven't installed any of the new parts yet, but the difficulty will be on the wallet!
    What is your height and inseam? I am worried that even the 62cm will not fit me at 6'5" and mostly torso. I know it will fit in the seat tube length, its the top tube length I am worried about.

I was also considering the Tamland 1 just for the 2x11 purpose but I cannot stomach the color.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I also preferred the Tamland 2'a color to the faded green Tamland 1. I think Raleigh deliberately chose an awful color to coerce people to upgrade to the Tamland 2. My cycling inseam is 34. Every time in the past I have accepted recommendations for a 58 I end up with a flag pole seat post and six jnches of head tube spacers. I've been riding this 62cm on fire roads around SoCal and the size fits me very well. I should have taken the leap sooner. I would think it would be too small for you. The Stuntman has larger dimensions for the same labeled size, so maybe try that in a 62cm.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Mind telling me your height?

Thank you for the info!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    6'0"

mtbr member
    Jul 2015

sizing

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Zulu View Post
    6'0"
    I am strongly considering a Tamland 2. But I am concerned about size.

I am 6'2" and have a 34.5" bike inseam. So, a little taller than you.

I had pretty much concluded the 58" was right, but now I am doubting. Here is my logic.

My current ride has a reach of 384 and TT of 578mm. This matches the 58 T2 almost exactly.

Of course Raleigh says that bike is suited to riders 5'11" to 6'. And says the 60 is suited to riders 6' to 6'3". So they seem to agree with you.

My current bike fits relatively well. I get some palm pain. I always assumed it was due to being stretched too far forward. But I am thinking now that it could be due to reaching down too far also. A greater reach (after all, its only 11mm) might also rock my hips forward a bit, which is more comfortable and better power application.

I think I just talked myself into the 60, lol, but still welcome your's or others' thoughts.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I would definitely recommend the 60 as a minimum. I have the same inseam and ride my 62 Tamland 2 happily. I also donít want 12 inches of seatpost exposed on a gravel/fire road bike. I look at Guitar Tedís Instagram page and wonder how he can ride those tiny frames and lean down to the handlebars without killing his back.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I was set on the Tamland 2 but if you are 6'0 and he is 6'2" tall I don't have a chance at 6'5" mostly torso. I considered the Stuntman as it is bigger in the 62cm but the standover is extremely tight for a bike the could be offroad too with my 35" inseam.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    For what it's worth I'm 6'4" and I'm on a 62cm 2017 Tamland 2. It's perfect for me (34" inseam). It's my first gravel bike, got it for MTB training / steep fire road climbs and descents and it's been a surprisingly fun bike to ride - I enjoy it a lot more than I thought I would.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I went with a SOMA Double Cross Disc and built it from them frame up. It is a fantastic bike and I do not regret this decision. Also, after talking with Raleigh, they told me that the Tamland would not come in a 62cm anymore moving forward. With no support for the big guys, I looked elsewhere.

Kilted Cyclist
    Jan 2004
    I will go for the Raleigh, if you can find the right size. Steel frame with Carbon fork sounds like a winning combination!!
    Norco Threshold Single Speed
    Trek X-Calibur 7
    Bianchi San Jose with riser bar
    Trek Madone
    Kona Dew
    Tomac Taos

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I had access to Raleigh pro pricing (if you google Raleigh corporate code, it's pretty easy to find and set up) but ended up buying a 2017 Tamland 2 on Amazon for $1,252 with prime shipping in 62cm, as Raleigh was sold out of 62s and was not getting more. Pricing was basically the same as it was through the corporate program. As soon as I bought it the price jumped back up to $1,999 on Amazon but if you keep an eye on it, they are constantly moving prices around on both the Tamland 1 and 2.

mtbr member
    I went for a Rove ST Frameset ($550) and i'm building it up from there. I liked the specs of the frame and the geometry but wasn't thrilled with the part. mine's going up as a 2x11 shimano 105 build with Sram carbon cranks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoNin9r View Post
    I went for a Rove ST Frameset ($550) and i'm building it up from there. I liked the specs of the frame and the geometry but wasn't thrilled with the part. mine's going up as a 2x11 shimano 105 build with Sram carbon cranks.
    What is the tire clearance like on that bike? Could it fit 650b x 2.1 tires?