Zions are gone for good.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Zions are gone for good.

I don't know if anyone has confirmed it before but I asked Jenson and they confirmed it. No more Zions. I was bummed in a way. I bought a 737a year ago as a second bike which turned out to be the bike I used most, even more than my 5" FS 26er. I was going to order another medium but there gone. Looks like I'll have to settle for the green small frame, which is fine by me. I love these frames, they are one the most underrated bikes available.

mtbr member
    Well that's a bummer! I was hoping for an updated frame. Anyway, I'm pretty sad to see them go. --Mark

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    oh no! What a shame. Is the company itself going under? Or is jenson just not carrying them anymore?

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    well..zion is jenson's own brand...so they are not going under...probably it just wasn't what they expected unfortunately....

mtbr member
    My first email to them was just asking to see if they were getting any more medium 737and they said they were discontinuing production and they were not expecting anymore. To clarify I just asked if this was it for Zion and they gave a simple yes.

mtbr member
    Repeat after me, slowly:

"There was no Zion brand"

As I said before, you can make your own brand of bikes if you like - It's easy.

The 8 Steps of becoming a bike brand
    1. Think of a brand name. It could be Zion, as that name was not trademarked...
    2. Think of a logo, color, geometry, material (They make everything from the cheapest 4130 chromo to Titanium), and other options - Where the derailer hangers are, dropouts, EBB etc.
    3. Look for some chinese/ Taiwanese factories. (You can use google.) It will probably be the same factory Specialized/ Trek/ etc. are using.
    4. Contact them, and get an offer for 1000 pieces (1/2 container). It will be 50 - 500$ a piece, depending on options and frame material. Sounds cheap? It is. If anyone needs help finding a factory, PM me.
    5. Pay (Credit card is ok as well)
    6. Wait for the ship to arrive, rent a truck and unload it in your favourite storage area.
    7. Retail it 4 times the cost (Or 3 times if you're using a dealer)
    8. If stock was cleared, decide to make another batch with more options. Otherwise, clear out your stock with (What seems to be) very cheap prices.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by yules
    Repeat after me, slowly:

As I said before, you can make your own brand of bikes if you like - It's easy.

The 8 Steps of becoming a bike brand
    1. Think of a brand name. It could be Zion, as that name was not trademarked...
    2. Think of a logo, color, geometry, material (They make everything from the cheapest 4130 chromo to Titanium), and other options - Where the derailer hangers are, dropouts, EBB etc.
    3. Look for some chinese/ Taiwanese factories. (You can use google.) It will probably be the same factory Specialized/ Trek/ etc. are using.
    4. Contact them, and get an offer for 1000 pieces (1/2 container). It will be 50 - 500$ a piece, depending on options and frame material. Sounds cheap? It is. If anyone needs help finding a factory, PM me.
    5. Pay (Credit card is ok as well)
    6. Wait for the ship to arrive, rent a truck and unload it in your favourite storage area.
    7. Retail it 4 times the cost (Or 3 times if you're using a dealer)
    8. If stock was cleared, decide to make another batch with more options. Otherwise, clear out your stock with (What seems to be) very cheap prices.

Good luck.
    Your point being?

Some of us would like to see Zion bikes continue to be available in a similar form and from the same source- why does that bother you so much?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by STS01

Some of us would like to see Zion bikes continue to be available in a similar form and from the same source- why does that bother you so much?
    I agree. I understand that Jenson owned Zion, It's still a bummer that these frames are no longer available. Best bang for the buck period. I know it's comparing oranges to apples, but I sold all my expensive 26" FS bikes because I just love the way this cheapie bike handles better. My wrench friend owns a custom steel Black Sheep 26" and he was very impressed with my Zion that he ordered his own frame.

mtbr member
    Guys, all I'm saying is - It's not such a biggie.
    They made a batch, sold it, decided not to make another one, end of story.
    If Jenson would make another batch, it could be cool. I'd love to see the 66EBB in other colors.

I just wanted to show how easy it is to be a bike brand these days.

My c'dale rush is for sale now (Not spam, I live far away from the states) because of my Zion 660EBB, and last Saturday I've even made the podium on my 1st race!

It's that good.

mtbr member

No, no

No brand ever goes away. It becomes a (collectable) classic.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by kosayno
    My first email to them was just asking to see if they were getting any more medium 737and they said they were discontinuing production and they were not expecting anymore. To clarify I just asked if this was it for Zion and they gave a simple yes.
    I am sure there will be new Zion frames in the future. They have been following the same pattern for 4-5 years (at least). Have a run of frames made of a design they think will sell well. Sell through the run. Have a new frame design build for the next run.

In the past they have sold Ti hardtails and a knockoff of the SC Chameleon among other designs.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    I am sure there will be new Zion frames in the future. They have been following the same pattern for 4-5 years (at least). Have a run of frames made of a design they think will sell well. Sell through the run. Have a new frame design build for the next run.

In the past they have sold Ti hardtails and a knockoff of the SC Chameleon among other designs.
    True, the 660 is a knock off of the Jamis Dragon. Man, I would love to see a steel Zion Chameleon knock off. That would rock! How long ago did they do that? --Mark

Uncle

Phobias at Universal

Universal Cycles used to have frames called "Phobia" which were a good run of nice steel & aluminum frames with a low price point. Branding & marketing go a long way to drive consumer interest, but often the products don't differ much, and I woudn't be surprised if the Phobia, Surly and Zion and lots of other frames were built by the same factory from very similar materials.

I don't doubt that they'll be back, as Shiggy said. Seems like "bargain" frames make for good fodder for component sales. That Zion frame sure would look sweet with a King headset, huh?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by marks_bike
    True, the 660 is a knock off of the Jamis Dragon. Man, I would love to see a steel Zion Chameleon knock off. That would rock! How long ago did they do that? --Mark
    The Chameleon clone was sold a year or two before the 853 frames.

And they were aluminum. If done in steel they would not be a knockoff.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by pacman
    No brand ever goes away. It becomes a (collectable) classic.
    Oh goodie, I've got a 737 still in the box, its just a waiting game now
    hahaha

Members who have read this thread: 0