Zion Rigid Fork- Mtbr.com

Thread: Zion Rigid Fork

donkey

Zion Rigid Fork

I want to replace my rigid fork with a rigid suspension corrected fork.
    Things I'm looking for:
    Disc Specific
    Compliance
    Straight bladed
    Decent tolerances (ie, disk tab lines up)

I'm looking at the Zion, and have a couple of questions... What is it like compliance-wise? Are the decals removable? Any problems with the disc tabs not lining up? Are they available anywhere but jenson? (i'm pretty sure they aren't) Thanks for any input.

Incredulous bastard
    I have the '06 26" version on my Zion. I like it a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by nbrennan
    What is it like compliance-wise?
    This is the only rigid fork I've ridden for more than 10 minutes, so I only have 4 to 6 inch travel forks to which I may compare it. But I'm regularly amazed by the compliance.
    Are the decals removable?
    The labels don't appear to be decals to me, I think that's paint. I just check'd, yeah, that's paint.
    Any problems with the disc tabs not lining up?
    Not with mine. I can't advise if that's typical.
    Are they available anywhere but jenson?
    They don't appear to be.

And if weight is important to you:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nightriding rules SuperModerator

Are they available anywhere but jenson? (i'm pretty sure they aren't)
    Zion is Jenson's own brand..so only available from them..

pvd
    mtbr member
    it is an ok fork and it looks good too.

for the $65 price tag, it can't be beat.

btw: suspension corrected is a meaningless term.

Mtn Biker Machinist

Zions stuff is pretty good

For the price, the Zion frame I have is great.

I would agree with PVD about "suspension corrected". What a load of bull. My surly 1X1 fork is suspension corrected and has an axle to crown measurement of 413mm. Zion is also corrected, and it has an a-c of 457 mm, salsa cromoto is 425mm.

I would measure the fork you run right now, and find a fork to match it. Measure with you on the bike (have a friend help!) to get the fork measuement with sag. Measure from the front axle center line to the bottom of the crown race, and find a fork that is as close to this measurement as possible.

frog

donkey
    yeah, i know 'suspension corrected' is pretty non-technical. I'm looking for something that has the ride hieght of the 'average' 80mm xc fork. The fork would be going on my monocog, and I want to slacken the angles a little. Thanks everyone.

Harrumph
    You have to pay attention to the measurements, and just about all aftermarket or spec ridged forks are “corrected” now a days. But there is something to "suspension corrected." I don't have any measurements, but take a rigid fork from an older frame that is not designed for a suspension fork and put it on a frame that is designed for a fork and there will be a difference. But that only really applies if you’re looking to use something older on a newer frame. And to muddy the waters more when they say corrected for 80mm or 100mm, they assume quite a bit of sag for the 100 and very little for the 80.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

No, that's not phonetic
    I own a number of rigid forks, and the Zion is definitely the most flexy among them. That may translate into "compliance" for some people. I'm not sure in what other way a straight bladed rigid fork could be compliant.

I own two of them, and on one the disc tabs were not welded on very straight. When it comes to discs, being off by 0.5mm is a big deal when you are using 0.2mm shims to get things lined up. In addition to being a little crooked, one of the tabs was welded on a hair too low so that by brake caliper ended up scraping the outer edge of the rotor.

They are far longer in A-C than any other rigid fork I have. I would call this being the most suspension-corrected of all my rigid forks.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

donkey
    as far as damping on a rigid fork goes is it better to go with something that has curved blades? The fork i run now is my stock '06 redline monocog fork. It is not "suspension corrected" -- ie it has a low ride hieght. It also has ugly drop outs, canti studs, and huge diameter legs (harsh); all things i don't like.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by no one in particular
    I have the '06 26" version on my Zion. I like it a lot.

This is the only rigid fork I've ridden for more than 10 minutes, so I only have 4 to 6 inch travel forks to which I may compare it. But I'm regularly amazed by the compliance.

The labels don't appear to be decals to me, I think that's paint. I just check'd, yeah, that's paint.

Not with mine. I can't advise if that's typical.

They don't appear to be.

And if weight is important to you:
    My sentiments exactly, only i've had more than 10 minutes on mine. Getting the decals off will be a fight as they're "painted decals".

You should check MTBR's Classifieds first. (okay, i'm being a bad boy - sue me)
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies. :D

i ride bikez!!11!
    Aug 2006
    as far as damping on a rigid fork goes is it better to go with something that has curved blades? The fork i run now is my stock '06 redline monocog fork. It is not "suspension corrected" -- ie it has a low ride hieght. It also has ugly drop outs, canti studs, and huge diameter legs (harsh); all things i don't like.

I'll sell you a Planet X fork. Like new!

Mtn Biker Machinist
    Quote Originally Posted by xmynameisdan
    I'll sell you a Planet X fork. Like new!
    I am interested in the fork, pm sent, thanks

Members who have read this thread: 0