Zion pics- Mtbr.com

Thread: Zion pics

Jun 2006

Zion pics

Thought I would post some pics of my single speed. I am seeing a lot of Zions, so it was time to join in. This is a nice riding frame, and is pretty light also. It is more comfortable on most trails than my fuel, which was retired last year.

Reviewer/Tester
    That ... is a nice looking bike build..

R.
    It is inevitable ...

Jun 2006
    Thanks. I really like this bike. I have only had aluminum bikes for the last 10 years, and only this steel frame feels great. My mom actually suprised me with this frame for my birthday.

29er Geek
    That is, ahem, Fly.

Very nice!

RJ
    unityhandbuilt

mtbr member

Wow!

That is the best looking Zion I've yet seen. Everything about it looks just . . .balanced. Excellent job!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Beautiful bike

Your bike looks great.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I can't climb with a suspension fork on the front of my singlespeed. Too much bob when really cranking up the hills and pumping with the arms. Glad things work great for you with suspension.

Jun 2006
    I actually can't make that fork bob. I run the fork fairly plush, and crank the IMV up. That way it takes a good hit to open the lock out. You should try a White Magic if bobbing is all that keeps you from a suspension fork.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    very nice looking bike

Jun 2006
    Here is another pic

luddite
    Did the forest in that last pic burn last summer?

Jun 2006
    The forest was burned last week. That last pic was from tuesday night, and yes it was 65 degrees. It was a controlled burn to clear undergrowth so the venus fly traps that sprout in spring can get their sunlight. They are endangered, so burns are done before spring to give them good habitat.

banned

Here is my ZION 660, a very sweet HT...

29er Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by shishku
    Here is another pic

Awesome Blue Healer!
    unityhandbuilt

SSasquatch
    Quote Originally Posted by shishku
    I actually can't make that fork bob. I run the fork fairly plush, and crank the IMV up. That way it takes a good hit to open the lock out. You should try a White Magic if bobbing is all that keeps you from a suspension fork.
    Any clearance issues with that fork? I am riding a rigid 737 now but am considering something squishy up front although I rode my buddy's front suspended bike and it felt like I was wasting alot of energy.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    nice Zion, shishku!

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by galleywench
    Any clearance issues with that fork? I am riding a rigid 737 now but am considering something squishy up front although I rode my buddy's front suspended bike and it felt like I was wasting alot of energy.
    I don't know about shishku, but my I solved my fork clearance issue with a FSA Pig DH Pro...

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

long travel on a Zion...

I have a question for anyone who might have some insight.... I'm big on long travel single speed trail bikes so...... has anyone tried a Zion frame with a Fox 140mm float or vanilla? I just want to make sure that the frame can handle the more relaxed angle. I prefer a 69 deg. head angle on my bikes so that's the target settup. Any and all input is welcomed. StumpyJ.

Dec 2007

Zion 660 geometry with a 140 mm Fox fork

Quote Originally Posted by stumpjumper4117
    I have a question for anyone who might have some insight.... I'm big on long travel single speed trail bikes so...... has anyone tried a Zion frame with a Fox 140mm float or vanilla? I just want to make sure that the frame can handle the more relaxed angle. I prefer a 69 deg. head angle on my bikes so that's the target settup. Any and all input is welcomed. StumpyJ.
    Hi, I made a sketch model a while back to check the geometry before I bought a 19" 660. If I put in the numbers for the Fox fork (516 mm axle to top crown + minimum 14 mm for the headset = 530 mm) you get a headangle of 67.27.

On a bike like this, that's a bit on the slack side for me, but you could certainly get away with it, especially if you run the forks on the soft side.

Edit: by the way, if anyone is interested; I run a R7 80 mm on my bike (ac of 456) and it works out to just below 71 degrees. The steering is super-quick!

Happy trails!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Members who have read this thread: 0