Zion pics- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Zion pics

  1. #1

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    430

    Zion pics

    Thought I would post some pics of my single speed. I am seeing a lot of Zions, so it was time to join in. This is a nice riding frame, and is pretty light also. It is more comfortable on most trails than my fuel, which was retired last year.


  2. #2
    Reviewer/Tester
    Reputation: Rainman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6,176
    That ... is a nice looking bike build..


    R.
    It is inevitable ...

  3. #3

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    430
    Thanks. I really like this bike. I have only had aluminum bikes for the last 10 years, and only this steel frame feels great. My mom actually suprised me with this frame for my birthday.

  4. #4
    29er Geek
    Reputation: tozovr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,529
    That is, ahem, Fly.

    Very nice!

    RJ
    unityhandbuilt

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pswann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    132

    Wow!

    That is the best looking Zion I've yet seen. Everything about it looks just . . .balanced. Excellent job!

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    52

    Beautiful bike

    Your bike looks great.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    50
    I can't climb with a suspension fork on the front of my singlespeed. Too much bob when really cranking up the hills and pumping with the arms. Glad things work great for you with suspension.

  8. #8

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    430
    I actually can't make that fork bob. I run the fork fairly plush, and crank the IMV up. That way it takes a good hit to open the lock out. You should try a White Magic if bobbing is all that keeps you from a suspension fork.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    722
    very nice looking bike

  10. #10

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    430
    Here is another pic

  11. #11
    luddite
    Reputation: MadCowRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    212
    Did the forest in that last pic burn last summer?

  12. #12

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    430
    The forest was burned last week. That last pic was from tuesday night, and yes it was 65 degrees. It was a controlled burn to clear undergrowth so the venus fly traps that sprout in spring can get their sunlight. They are endangered, so burns are done before spring to give them good habitat.

  13. #13
    banned
    Reputation: HTR4EVR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,151



    Here is my ZION 660, a very sweet HT...

  14. #14
    29er Geek
    Reputation: tozovr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,529
    Quote Originally Posted by shishku
    Here is another pic

    Awesome Blue Healer!
    unityhandbuilt

  15. #15
    SSasquatch
    Reputation: galleywench's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    535
    Quote Originally Posted by shishku
    I actually can't make that fork bob. I run the fork fairly plush, and crank the IMV up. That way it takes a good hit to open the lock out. You should try a White Magic if bobbing is all that keeps you from a suspension fork.
    Any clearance issues with that fork? I am riding a rigid 737 now but am considering something squishy up front although I rode my buddy's front suspended bike and it felt like I was wasting alot of energy.

  16. #16
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,787
    nice Zion, shishku!

  17. #17
    banned
    Reputation: HTR4EVR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,151
    Quote Originally Posted by galleywench
    Any clearance issues with that fork? I am riding a rigid 737 now but am considering something squishy up front although I rode my buddy's front suspended bike and it felt like I was wasting alot of energy.
    I don't know about shishku, but my I solved my fork clearance issue with a FSA Pig DH Pro...

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    24

    long travel on a Zion...

    I have a question for anyone who might have some insight.... I'm big on long travel single speed trail bikes so...... has anyone tried a Zion frame with a Fox 140mm float or vanilla? I just want to make sure that the frame can handle the more relaxed angle. I prefer a 69 deg. head angle on my bikes so that's the target settup. Any and all input is welcomed. StumpyJ.

  19. #19

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    37

    Zion 660 geometry with a 140 mm Fox fork

    Quote Originally Posted by stumpjumper4117
    I have a question for anyone who might have some insight.... I'm big on long travel single speed trail bikes so...... has anyone tried a Zion frame with a Fox 140mm float or vanilla? I just want to make sure that the frame can handle the more relaxed angle. I prefer a 69 deg. head angle on my bikes so that's the target settup. Any and all input is welcomed. StumpyJ.
    Hi, I made a sketch model a while back to check the geometry before I bought a 19" 660. If I put in the numbers for the Fox fork (516 mm axle to top crown + minimum 14 mm for the headset = 530 mm) you get a headangle of 67.27.

    On a bike like this, that's a bit on the slack side for me, but you could certainly get away with it, especially if you run the forks on the soft side.

    Edit: by the way, if anyone is interested; I run a R7 80 mm on my bike (ac of 456) and it works out to just below 71 degrees. The steering is super-quick!

    Happy trails!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.