zion head tube - facing needed?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

zion head tube - facing needed?

my new zion 660ebb frame had the rear disc brake tabs nicely faced at the factory, and the head tube looked smooth and even, so I didn't ask the shop to face it. we installed a brand-new FSA orbit XLII headset, and damn, the fork does not rotate smoothly. so now i have to remove the cups from the head tube and get out the facing tool.

what a pain.

anyone else have this issue with their zion frame?

mtbr member

As std practice

Quote Originally Posted by frorider
    my new zion 660ebb frame had the rear disc brake tabs nicely faced at the factory, and the head tube looked smooth and even, so I didn't ask the shop to face it. we installed a brand-new FSA orbit XLII headset, and damn, the fork does not rotate smoothly. so now i have to remove the cups from the head tube and get out the facing tool.

what a pain.

anyone else have this issue with their zion frame?
    I always face and chase on a new build. My Zion's tabs were not done at the factory and both the ht and bb needed facing.
    dave
    Idaho Transplant (closet roadie)

mtbr member
    hmm, I have a normal 660 and the headtube didn't need to be faced. The headset (crane creek S3) is very smooth.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by marks_bike
    hmm, I have a normal 660 and the headtube didn't need to be faced. The headset (crane creek S3) is very smooth.

I didn't face my 853 either, but the headset running smooth doesn't mean no facing was needed.. it just means it wasn't bad enough to cause some binding...

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    update: we faced the headtube with a Park tool, reinstalled the FSA Orbit XL II, and still there is binding. the binding only happens once in 360 degrees.

fork steerer tube is straight. this is turning into a frustrating issue that is stumping the bike shop mechanics (and me).

the FSA bearings feel smooth; it's only when the headset is at least partially preloaded that the binding happens.

suggestions?

mtbr member
    I wonder if it's a bad bearing or something? Try sending or calling FSA. Maybe they'll have a suggestion or replace the headset. --Mark

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    well it all worked out fine. long story though...

suspecting that something in the headset was not quite seated correctly, on many occasions during the build attempt i would tighten up the preload and spin the fork around many times. it didn't fix a thing...

...but finally, i tried a different approach. hlding the forks stationary, i slowly rotated the stem around the steerer tube and tried to find the 'least worse' position in terms of binding by working the stem back and forth. tightened things up, finished the build, and rode it for 10 minutes. sure enough, the binding was starting to get better. rode some more, increased the preload to a normal level, and now the headset seems to be working fine.

strange.

mtbr member
    Yeah, that is strange. Glad you were able to get it working though. --Mark

Members who have read this thread: 0