Zion as a Commuter?- Mtbr.com
    enjoys skidding

Zion as a Commuter?

Ok so here's the go.

I need a bike to ride to work on. It's around 20km's (approx 12.4 miles) and is basically all tarmac aside from the odd cut through a park which would be on hard pack dirt.

I was planning on getting a roadie and running some cyclocross tyres on it, but since seeing the Zion frames so cheap on Jenson, I might just try and build that up for a nice little commuter.

Has anyone built one up for these sort of duties? It'd be rigid, and probably singlespeed (I've ridden a SS before to work that was about half the distance and less hilly - suggestions please!). Considering I wanted it to be on the cheap, does anyone have any suggestions for parts? What wheelset would be best? Am I best off building a 26 or a 29er? Would it be worth trying out some drop bars? Or a midge bar?

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Hi,
    I think that the Zion 737 29er frame is a good commuter frame. Low budget, fairly low weight, nice geometry and at the same time perfectly able to take the odd trail ride from time to time.

I'm in the process of building a 3x9 commuter bike for my wife.

The key for this project is "functionality first" combined with limited budget.
    Frameset: Zion 737 29er frame plus the Zion rigid fork which came really cheap from Jenson.
    Wheels: Salsa Delgado X rims, Deore 530 disc hubs, DT butted spokes
    Drivetrain: Deore 510 rear mech, Hone front mech, Deore 532 HT II crankset, LX cassette, SRAM 971 chain
    Cockpit: Deore 530 shifters, Titec Hellbent low riser bar, FSA Pig Headset
    Brakes: Avid BB5 + Avid FR5 levers

I think the 29er is more versatile and comfortable when it's a rigid setup.

cheers,
    ~K
    Wheel brewer

"For I am a Bear of very little Brain, and long words bother me"

Members who have read this thread: 0