A Zion 660EBB review- Mtbr.com
    Caca pasa

A Zion 660EBB review

Well, I finally got to take my new* singlespeed out & ride it on a real trail (Salmon Falls, aka Darrington Trail, Folsom Lake, NorCal). Jenson read my post here re: the first frame that cracked around both bosses on the bb shell, and they were kind enough to send a new frame post-haste.

Here are my perceptions of the bike:

I put it together a few days ago, making a change from the last build and flipped the 5 degree rise Thomson stem over to compensate for the Zion's silly 6.5" head tube on the 21" frame (I'm a coont-hair over 6'2", for those of you taking notes). Luckily (I say luckily because I wouldn't have been able to afford a new stem), this was what the bike needed to bring the front end down to a reasonable height, and I must say, the bike rode quite well. "Neutral" is an overused word when describing handling characteristics, but it sure applies in this case. Neither too steep nor too slack, the Zion felt just right, carving dusty turns with aplomb and manuvering agilely beneath me. The rear end felt livelier than the On-One that it replaced, without being too harsh. It climbs well, and the only problem I had may have been due to the fork. On uphills, if I hit a rock a certain way, the fork would compress, but the bike wouldn't roll forward, it would stop dead in its tracks. I determined that I would have to adjust my riding position a bit, and scooted back a bit on the seat to lighten the front end. The fork (a Marzocchi Bomber MX Comp '03, w/ 4" of travel), is not quite as plush as the 5" travel Fox Vanilla on my Enduro, and I don't expect it to be, as it's a fairly inexpensive fork.

The chain did loosen up and got a bit floppy, due to my reticence to (over)tighten the 2 Allen bolts holding the BB in place. After I got home, I took the slack out of the chain, a simple procedure taking only a few minutes. This time, I put a little more muscle into it, and made sure the Allens were tighter. Next step is to put some blue Lock-Tite on those screws.

All in all, I'm happy with the frame, as long as it doesn't crack! For under $300 (after shipping and tax), it's a pleasant riding frame, and now that the problems (hopefully) are behind me, it seems to be a good buy. Kudos to Jenson for grabbing the bull by the horns to keep a customer happy.

Note: You can see in pic #2 that I've extended the grips 1/2" beyond the end of the bar, creating a 28" bar out of a 27". The one Allen on each Lizardskins grip seems to be enough to hold it in place.

fp

*Although I bought the frame at the beginning of last month.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gregg; 06-04-2007 at 04:59 PM.
    "합니다 행사에서 디비 판매 합니다 관련해" Lesleybien

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Glad Jenson took care of you, FP!

the bike looks sweet! enjoy!... as I told you in another thread I am going the other way now.. Zion -> OnOne ... both are great frames

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    i'm 6' 3" tall and like most gear whores who ride full suspension on technical terrain, i've migrated to shorter TT combined with short stem and wide bars over the years. so when i bought the zion 660ebb recently, i went with the 19 inch frame. the decision was easier when i saw the bizarre, extra long head tube length posted on jenson usa site geometry.

anyway, FWIW to taller riders out there, the 19 inch 660 ebb with a 90 mm / 10 degree thomson stem and 27 inch monkelite XC bars works very well for me. perfect combination of nimble handling and good seat position for fast spinning. i've been riding this bike almost every day since buying it despite having a few other bikes.

Caca pasa
    Quote Originally Posted by frorider
    i'm 6' 3" tall and like most gear whores who ride full suspension on technical terrain, i've migrated to shorter TT combined with short stem and wide bars over the years. so when i bought the zion 660ebb recently, i went with the 19 inch frame. the decision was easier when i saw the bizarre, extra long head tube length posted on jenson usa site geometry.

anyway, FWIW to taller riders out there, the 19 inch 660 ebb with a 90 mm / 10 degree thomson stem and 27 inch monkelite XC bars works very well for me. perfect combination of nimble handling and good seat position for fast spinning. i've been riding this bike almost every day since buying it despite having a few other bikes.
    Wow. Got pics?

fp
    "합니다 행사에서 디비 판매 합니다 관련해" Lesleybien

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

Members who have read this thread: 0