XCL's: what made you choose RP23 vs DHX/vice versa- Mtbr.com
    WWJR

XCL's: what made you choose RP23 vs DHX/vice versa

ive read posts in other forums concerning, but none here. still curious.

Surfing trails
    The main reason for the RP23 over the DHX Air is less weight. But other reasons are that the RP23 is simple to use and set up, can be sent off to PUSH for internal upgrades (PUSH won't work on DHX Air shocks the last time I checked), and the RP23 generally feels better to ride. A lot of my friends and customers feel that Fox nailed the RP23 design but still needs to work the kinks out of the DHX Air. Oh, and the RP23 is cheaper.

nerfherder
    What he said. ^

I agree with pretty much everything Nevegal said.

If you like to tinker the DHX is for you because it'll take you a while to get it set up well. The common complaint you'll read about is that the DHX A has no midstroke support. If you add air to firm it up in the midstroke your lowspeed gets super stiff and you lose the smooth ride over small stuff. If you take it out you get a smooth ride over the small stuff but a moderate hit bottoms the shock. Yes, even with the bottom out upped. It just seems hard to find that sweet spot in between.

The RP23 is just a lot easier to set up. Air it up to the proper sag, set the rebound, turn off the PP, descend and smile.

WWJR
    would the 'weight' of the rider have anything to do with it?

nerfherder
    I think higher rider weights accentuate the problem but I had an issue with that shock and I'm only 155 (nomad and xcl). It should be noted that I have had one good experience with the dhxa - on an EVO!

NWchumba
    DHX for anything more "extreme". I've blown out both before but I feel the DHX is a little more reliable for aggressive riding. I rode a longer stroke DHX air on my last DH bike and a big concern from other riders was that it might heat up. I think that its larger volume lets it run a little cooler and you are less likly to blow out the DHX. I'd like for my shock not to blow out at whistler this summer.

I'd be interested in buying an RP23 with a shorter i2i and stroke to bring down the travel to 4inchs and run a 100mm fork. I need to do some measurements

nerfherder
    Hey, it just occurred to me that I don't know the i2i and stroke on my XCL. Someone clue me in...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scruffylooking
    Hey, it just occurred to me that I don't know the i2i and stroke on my XCL. Someone clue me in...
    7.875x2.0 i2i and stroke

I've had both shocks setup on my xcl's. Benefits of the DHX Air were the absolute amount of adjustability it had. The biggest negative was that I blew through its midstroke travel pretty much all the time.

The RP23 is much lighter, easier to setup, and has an accessable propedal switch, which is pretty nice btw. I also find it to be a bit more responsive under my massive bulk. (170lbs!)

nerfherder
    Thanks monty!

WWJR
    im so leanin towards the RP23 now! My LBS told me they would swap out the "Chumbafied" DHX for the RP23 no prob. hell, for all the questions etc ive bothered em with since the build has started, they can keep the difference!

mtbr member
    Thanks monty!
    Welcome!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Is it possible to get an rp23 from the factory instead if the DHX?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I bought mine with the DHX Air from a private party, so I didn't have the option to choose a different shock. I'm really not a big fan of all the adjustments on the DHX Air.

I'm thinking about trying to sell the DHX Air and getting the '08 Fox Vanilla R. I really like coil shocks, and I like how simple the Vanilla R is to set up.

WWJR
    Quote Originally Posted by Rover Nick
    and the answer would be yes...
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=304239

**i thought there would be more who were bias to the DHX.

heres one for ya. how much in cost comparison are the two? it loks like the "regular" DHXa is a bit more $ than the RP23. but does this hold true with the "chumbafied" DHXa as well?

(ok, so I DID find another thread with the same topic) FYI
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=326650
    Last edited by IH8MUD; 03-02-2008 at 01:34 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rover Nick
    You can get the XCL with a RP23 or DHX Air, they are the same cost from the factory.

The decision really boils down to the following.

If you like an ultra adjustable air shock that you can tinker with until it is juuuuust right for you, are under 200lbs, don't really want to fiddle with having adjustable degree's of propedal that you can turn on or off on the bike while riding. Go with the DHX

If you want something that is a little lighter, easier to adjust the propedal feature, want more of a set and forget shock go with the RP23.

Both ride great, both are very smooth, and either way you'll have a grin from ear to ear.

Or do what I did.

Send your RP23 to PUSH and have best of both worlds

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor821

I'm thinking about trying to sell the DHX Air and getting the '08 Fox Vanilla R. I really like coil shocks, and I like how simple the Vanilla R is to set up.
    Just in case you were considering the DHX coil, the coil is nowhere near as finniky as the air is. Still a ton of adjutments, but way more of a set-and-forget shock.

yarrrp
    May 2007
    I was under the impression that the chumba modified version of the dhx was supposed to fix the mid stroke prob. 0 complaints here with it.

mtbr member
    Anyone have a dhx coil they want to trade for the air version?

EDIT.. nevermind. DHX 5 coil on the way!
    Last edited by neilster1; 03-03-2008 at 01:29 PM.

it's....
    I'm a "set-it-and-forget-it" kinda guy, so would've been fine with just a Float R.

crash and burn at 45
    stop it h to the special sauce. you are torturing yourself. how long did it take you to decide the color? looking for special dice presta valve covers? matching hubs?

should have gotten a yeti, its what your smarter, better looking friend rides.

heard from the shop that its coming in this week, shame my fork is toast for a while

WWJR
    Quote Originally Posted by drydirtrider
    stop it h to the special sauce. you are torturing yourself. how long did it take you to decide the color? looking for special dice presta valve covers? matching hubs?

should have gotten a yeti, its what your smarter, better looking friend rides.

heard from the shop that its coming in this week, shame my fork is toast for a while
    but i still cant find the right color streamers for my handlebars! HELP!!

WWJR

lol

my LBS thought I was crazy for wanting the RP23 instead of the DHX.

nerfherder
    Trust the community. If one person has a complaint then that's suspect. If many do then there's a pattern...

crash and burn at 45
    stop it, you are crazy, get the dhx, stop messing with them.

I am going down to golden tomorrow to get my bike, fork fixed, disaster averted. I am going to tell adam what you need and don't need and not to change anything else unless i say so. sweet jesus you nutz

WWJR
    Quote Originally Posted by drydirtrider
    stop it, you are crazy, get the dhx, stop messing with them.

I am going down to golden tomorrow to get my bike, fork fixed, disaster averted. I am going to tell adam what you need and don't need and not to change anything else unless i say so. sweet jesus you nutz
    tell him i "need" my bill cut in 1/2, and i "dont need" any lip about it!

Trust the community. If one person has a complaint then that's suspect. If many do then there's a pattern...
    ^^like ddrider noted, i research, and research, and research. and when i think i have it nailed down, i research some more. call it OCD! lol
    Last edited by IH8MUD; 03-05-2008 at 07:27 PM.

crash and burn at 45

and i raise you one
    Attached Images Attached Images

Members who have read this thread: 0