XCL's... FD/RD cable routing ques.- Mtbr.com
    WWJR

XCL's... FD/RD cable routing ques.

is your FD cable routed to the left of the seat tube, or to the right? also, does the RD's cable hit you on the inside of yur right knee? i realize there has to be some slack to compensate for the travel, but damn! other than that, this thing kicks mucho ars!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hullendersauce
    is your FD cable routed to the left of the seat tube, or to the right? also, does the RD's cable hit you on the inside of yur right knee? i realize there has to be some slack to compensate for the travel, but damn! other than that, this thing kicks mucho ars!
    I ran my FD cable to the left side of the seat tube and I haven't been able to ride my XCL yet so I can't comment about the rear.

mtbr member
    I also ran the FD to the left, works fine. The right DR cable on my XCL actually bends in toward the frame upon compression of suspension. Its giving me a pretty good cable rub. I have taped a piece of plastic in place. I have tried to rotate the housing to get the cable to bend up, that hasn't helped. I wonder if your going to have the opposite problem.
    One possible cause that I have considered is that the housing stop under the top tube is not aligned quite right. Maybe yours points just out. Let me know if you come up with a solution.
    Thanks.
    Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Although I've only ridden my XCL once, I did notice the RD cable hitting my leg. I haven't had a chance to look into it yet.

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005

FD Left, RD Right, No rub?

Quote Originally Posted by hullendersauce
    I run my FD to the left and the RD to the right but I am not having any problems w/the cable hitting my leg? I DO run a full housing so maybe that helps? My cable does rub/bang the underside of the top tube when the suspension compresses. I may put a "puffy" protector underneath just to quiet it down but it doesn't seem to be a rub problem? I have always wondered why the RD shifter is on the right and the FD is on the right? With that arrangement the cables have to cross each other before reaching their final destination. Seems like if they were reversed you would have a much more organic routing of the cables? Oh well. I guess that's just how it is! BTW-Love my XCL!!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0