XCL vs SC Heckler???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

XCL vs SC Heckler???

I'm going to be replacing my Ellsworth Isis frame this spring for something a little stronger ( I broke the Isis once ) and I've narrowed my choices to a XCL or a SC Heckler. I've ridden a SC Heckler before, and really liked it, but it is not possible for me to ride an XCL. I've only ridden single pivot bikes, so going with the Heckler I know what to expect.

I live in Minnesota and our trails seem to go up hill more than they go down, so you do a lot of pedaling, but there are a few trails around that are starting to get a little more technical, so I'm looking for one bike that I can do everything with.

So, I'm hoping someone here is familiar with both these bikes, and can help me decide which one is right for me.

Thanks,
    Greg

mtbr member
    Heckler is a solid frame/bike... you cant go wrong with the Heckler.. I have one and replacing it with an XCL. I've had the Heckler for about a year, never had an issue with it, you should know. As far as the XCL. well for me it climbs way better, straight down hill Heckler is a notch better, but corners goes to XCL.. all in all you will be better off with the XCL.. If I didnt get the XCL and comparison with other bikes. I'd still would stick with the Heckler.

ಠ_ಠ
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor821
    I'm going to be replacing my Ellsworth Isis frame this spring for something a little stronger ( I broke the Isis once ) and I've narrowed my choices to a XCL or a SC Heckler. I've ridden a SC Heckler before, and really liked it, but it is not possible for me to ride an XCL. I've only ridden single pivot bikes, so going with the Heckler I know what to expect.

I live in Minnesota and our trails seem to go up hill more than they go down, so you do a lot of pedaling, but there are a few trails around that are starting to get a little more technical, so I'm looking for one bike that I can do everything with.

So, I'm hoping someone here is familiar with both these bikes, and can help me decide which one is right for me.

Thanks,
    Greg
    XCL all the way! I've never ridden either bike, but from the looks and weight, the XCL is probably significantly stiffer. Plus, I've spent some time on a single pivot bike, and much prefer a bike with pivots in the the chainstays.

Do a search on "heckler", and cross reference the username "jayem". He does a good job explaining with issues with high single pivot bikes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    They're both very good bikes. There will be slightly less maintenance with the heckler since it only has one pivot but It will have the inherint brake jack. Also with a similar build the heckler is about $1000 more.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Brake jack? Heckler more $$ ??

Quote Originally Posted by sdcantrell
    They're both very good bikes. There will be slightly less maintenance with the heckler since it only has one pivot but It will have the inherint brake jack. Also with a similar build the heckler is about $1000 more.
    I ride a 2007 Superlight (baby Heckler) and I've never felt brake jack. I've heard some can feel such a thing but I never have. Bottom line? Some are miserable noticing "brake jack", others like myself never notice it. It almost seems like some urban myth that people just reflexively attach to single-pivot bikes. And the Heckler frame costs less than an XCL, so--seems like it'd be cheaper than an XCL to build up. $1000 more? Where'd you get that number?

But other than those two non-issues, I'd say they are two different bikes and need to be compared on other factors.
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

mtbr member

Heckler vs. XCL

I have / had a 06 Heckler for quite a while. This year I upgraded to a XCL and I could not be happier. Brake Jack is not a myth, you can feel it, but I never felt it as noticably as some others.

What I like about my XCL over the Heckler is the more active suspension, under braking, climbing and overall pedaling feel. I feel that the XCL trumps the heckler in everyway.

What I liked about the Heckler more than my XCL is that it is a bit easier to build up a lighter bike on the Heckler, and overall less pivots to maintain.

That being said, I would pick the XCL time and time again over the Heckler. I think a more fair comparison would be the Blur LT with the Chumba.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    The frame is cheaper but once you build up a heckler on the santa cruz site with a similar build kit to the complete XCL the heckler ends up being substantially more.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Thanks guys for the help!

I've done a lot of research on these two bikes, and I think you guys are right with going with the XCL. The Heckler sound like a great bike, but I think the XCL will be a better fit. The only thing I don't really care for about the XCL is the color choices, but that really isn't a big deal. Hopefully, I will have the money for it by April because I have all the parts I need to build it up right now.

What do you guy's think about the DHX air? I seem to hear a lot of complaints about this shock. Also, anyone know the stand over height on a small XCL?

Thanks,
    Greg
    Last edited by Thor821; 01-01-2008 at 08:48 PM.

mtbr member
    The "Chumbified" DHX works well for me.. it is a custom shock so a side-by-side comparison with a stock DHX would be apples to oranges.

Paging ChumbaJason to the white courtesy phone..

This brings up a question.. since the shock is custom should we go through Chumba for warranty issues if they occur?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I may ride a Santa Cruz Superlight

Quote Originally Posted by Thor821
    Thanks guys for the help!

I've done a lot of research on these two bikes, and I think you guys are right with going with the XCL. The Heckler sound like a great bike, but I think the XCL will be a better fit. The only thing I don't really care for about the XCL is the color choices, but that really isn't a big deal. Hopefully, I will have the money for it by April because I have all the parts I need to build it up right now.

What do you guy's think about the DHX air? I seem to hear a lot of complaints about this shock. Also, anyone know the stand over height on a small XCL?

Thanks,
    Greg
    but I literally flipped a coin between it and the XCL. You will love your XCL. Good choice.
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by neilster1
    The "Chumbified" DHX works well for me.. it is a custom shock so a side-by-side comparison with a stock DHX would be apples to oranges.
    I think the "custom" DHX means Chumba uses the small air can (RP23 can) on the DHX. It gives the shock a firmer ride through the middle part of the travel compared with the "stock" DHX.
    Extreme stationary biker.

it's....
    Or choose RP32 instead and save half a pound.

Dec 2007

(Picking up the white courtesy phone)

Fox will still service the Chumbified shock should it have a malfunction. It is not likely as long as you keep your air valve clean and make sure not to blow dirt into it using a beat up old shock pump. I noticed that air shocks run with no air caps are normally the ones that have the problems. It only takes a small amount of dirt to get inside of the shock to start wearing it down from the inside out. We do mean things to those shocks while testing them and nothing ever goes out.

Have fun

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by neilster1

Paging ChumbaJason to the white courtesy phone..

This brings up a question.. since the shock is custom should we go through Chumba for warranty issues if they occur?

WWJR
    can someone point me in the direction of this "Chumbafied" DHX pls? i cant seem to find it anywhere...

Compulsive Bike Builder

There may be more to it...

Quote Originally Posted by hullendersauce
    can someone point me in the direction of this "Chumbafied" DHX pls? i cant seem to find it anywhere...
    As far as I know, the only mod is the use of the smaller RP23 body on the DHX Air. There may be other differences. Any pic of a bike on Chumba's site, for example, will show the Chumbafied shocks. The are stock on both the XCL and EVO.

You can compare/contrast that with pics of the DHX Air and RP23 on Fox's site, you should be able to eyeball the differences.
    Disclaimer: ComCycle USA

I'm living the dream!
    Here's a close up of the DHX-A from my XCL.

Here's a stock DHX-A.
    FSFX_dhxair.jpg

WWJR
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtDad
    Any pic of a bike on Chumba's site, for example, will show the Chumbafied shocks.
    hey thanks... btw, sorry to thread-hack!!!
    Last edited by IH8MUD; 02-24-2008 at 07:56 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0