XCL for a taller rider- Mtbr.com
    Captain Underpants

XCL for a taller rider

I have been looking for a burly trail bike in the 5" range to complement my current ride, a Ventana El Padrino 29er. the Ventana handles fast fireroads and swoopy singletrack, but a hardtail really lets you know its a hardtail in the rocks. Ouch. Plus, big wheeled bikes are not all that flickable in the tight twisties, which we have a lot of. A 5" trailbike would be the perfect second bike for me, as most of the stuff we have in these parts (SF Bay, Marin) can be handled without resorting to a 6+ plus bike (not that guys don't ride their Nomads with dual crown forks here, it's just overkill).

Looking at geometry, the large XCL fits me perfectly. The seattube is the perfect length, I'd have perhaps 8" of exposed seatpost on climbs, and the TT is a half inch shorter than my Ventana (24" vs 24.5") which would work in my favor, since I want a slightly shorter TT to make the bike handle quicker. Put another way, a 21" ST and 24" TT are my ideal frame dimensions for this type of bike. And as I run a 90mm stem on the Ventana, I could run a 100mm on the XCL if need be to make it even.

What I'd like to know is, are there any taller riders out there riding an XCL? How is the fit for you? I have looked at all the threads on the forum and it seems to be a no-brainer, but I'd like to be certain. Obviously, everyone is different, so my fit will not be the same as anyone else's. I'm 6'4 with a 35" inseam. If Chumba made an XL in this frame it would be too big for me.

I haven't contacted Chumba yet, but will be doing so Monday morning to get their take.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    For sake of comparison I'm 6'0" with a 32" inseam.. the medium fits me perfectly. I have no idea what they would charge for it but Chumba will do a custom geometry frame for you if you like..

Captain Underpants
    Good to know, thanks.

The standard geo looks like it fits me fine, seeing how close it is to my current setup, so I would not need custom.

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005

I'm 6'3" 34" inseam Large=Great fit

Quote Originally Posted by Random Drivel
    I have been looking for a burly trail bike in the 5" range to complement my current ride, a Ventana El Padrino 29er. the Ventana handles fast fireroads and swoopy singletrack, but a hardtail really lets you know its a hardtail in the rocks. Ouch. Plus, big wheeled bikes are not all that flickable in the tight twisties, which we have a lot of. A 5" trailbike would be the perfect second bike for me, as most of the stuff we have in these parts (SF Bay, Marin) can be handled without resorting to a 6+ plus bike (not that guys don't ride their Nomads with dual crown forks here, it's just overkill).

Looking at geometry, the large XCL fits me perfectly. The seattube is the perfect length, I'd have perhaps 8" of exposed seatpost on climbs, and the TT is a half inch shorter than my Ventana (24" vs 24.5") which would work in my favor, since I want a slightly shorter TT to make the bike handle quicker. Put another way, a 21" ST and 24" TT are my ideal frame dimensions for this type of bike. And as I run a 90mm stem on the Ventana, I could run a 100mm on the XCL if need be to make it even.

What I'd like to know is, are there any taller riders out there riding an XCL? How is the fit for you? I have looked at all the threads on the forum and it seems to be a no-brainer, but I'd like to be certain. Obviously, everyone is different, so my fit will not be the same as anyone else's. I'm 6'4 with a 35" inseam. If Chumba made an XL in this frame it would be too big for me.

I haven't contacted Chumba yet, but will be doing so Monday morning to get their take.

Thanks in advance.

I'm 6'3" 34" inseam and my large XCL fits like a charm. I like the fact that I don't have as much seatpost exposed on my XCL as I did on my Ventana El Chamuco. I think this will help spread the stress that a long seatpost puts on a bike, out over a much larger area. My XCL is very "flickable" and I really enjoy the way the bike behaves in the tight twisty stuff here in western Pa. Great customer service too!

Members who have read this thread: 0