XCL for serious XC? (not racing)- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    conjoinicorned
    Reputation: ferday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,525

    XCL for serious XC? (not racing)

    i've seen everyones "AM" burly builds...anyone riding the XCL for long, all day XC epic rides (50 miles, 8000+ climbing)? the bike would also see some shorter tech rides and small-ish drops, so i don't want an XC race rig.

    i currently ride a 6.5lbs frame (with shock) the bike build is 31lbs. i do not want to purchase new parts, and i know the XCL is a heavier frame...

    thanks!
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

  2. #2
    I'm living the dream!
    Reputation: Ricky D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    391
    I think the XCL is the perfect bike for all day rides. See my review here. I don't claim to be an endurance rider but my first ride on the bike went for 49 miles.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    764
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky D
    I think the XCL is the perfect bike for all day rides. See my review here. I don't claim to be an endurance rider but my first ride on the bike went for 49 miles.
    You could do it, it might be easier with something with less travel, and lighter.
    But if your current bike is 31 lbs, maybe you wouldnt mind the XCL. Mine's 32.5,
    give or take a few ounces, I still do plenty of climbing on it, though.
    But 50 miles, 8000' of elevation gain, I couldn't imagine that, I doubt I could do that on any bike, but if you can, more power to you

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by ferday
    i've seen everyones "AM" burly builds...anyone riding the XCL for long, all day XC epic rides (50 miles, 8000+ climbing)? the bike would also see some shorter tech rides and small-ish drops, so i don't want an XC race rig.

    i currently ride a 6.5lbs frame (with shock) the bike build is 31lbs. i do not want to purchase new parts, and i know the XCL is a heavier frame...

    thanks!
    Since you're already doing this sort of ride on a 31 pound bike, an XCL is not likely to differ by more than a pound or two. Not a big deal. I think my XCL is the most comfortable bike I've ever owned. Super plush suspension, excellent handling and weight distribution. My build weighs 32.5 pounds and is very solid. If you have the fitness for long rides like this, the XCL will do fine and you'll be a very happy camper on all the downhill and technical sections. If speed is most important, look elsewhere.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    89
    It is definitely a comfortable bike and it really does not ride as heavy as it weighs. The stiffness just helps put the power to the ground and the suspension is so supple you really don't lose traction climbing up technical hills. The geometry is also good for when you get tired. It's very confidence inspiring.

  6. #6
    Older than I feel
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,762
    It's easy to build up an XCL to 31 lbs, just keep the tire weight down and you'll be fine.

    I did a 23 mile, 4000' ride Sunday on mine and it was great!

  7. #7

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    16,457
    I would think the XCL would be perhaps one of the more perfect choices out there. It's still more of a trailbike, however.

    A few years ago, we did have heavy duty XC 4" bikes, in the Turner XCE/Burner and the Ventana El Salt. The latter still exists, former is no more because 5" travel is the new XC, I guess. There are still some that do want a 70 degree HA in a package that's above the weight of the disposable raceable xc bikes.

  8. #8
    conjoinicorned
    Reputation: ferday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,525
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    There are still some that do want a 70 degree HA in a package that's above the weight of the disposable raceable xc bikes.
    you are 100%....this is a market that is currently being ignored in favor of the "AM" style of bike. not that most decent AM bikes couldn't be used for XC, but the XCL has a flavor of it's own....
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.