XCL seatstay issue - how common?- Mtbr.com
    Older than I feel
    Aug 2006

New question here. XCL seatstay issue - how common?

Some of you may have seen this thread in the All Mountain forum. Seems a couple of XCL owners have had their seatstays crack just above the disc brake mount. Alan (CHUMBAevo) says in that thread that the seatstays are being beefed up, and that Chumba will take care of all XCL owners.

I'm not trying to stir anything up here. I'm confident that Chumba will do the right thing. Others have pointed out that this kind of failure happens on other Horst link bikes as well.

What I want to know is, how common is this, and what kind of riding style is likely to provoke it? I'm concerned because I'm a big guy and not always the most graceful rider, but I don't go seeking out 4 foot drops either.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chucko58
    Some of you may have seen this thread in the All Mountain forum. Seems a couple of XCL owners have had their seatstays crack just above the disc brake mount. Alan (CHUMBAevo) says in that thread that the seatstays are being beefed up, and that Chumba will take care of all XCL owners.

I'm not trying to stir anything up here. I'm confident that Chumba will do the right thing. Others have pointed out that this kind of failure happens on other Horst link bikes as well.

What I want to know is, how common is this, and what kind of riding style is likely to provoke it? I'm concerned because I'm a big guy and not always the most graceful rider, but I don't go seeking out 4 foot drops either.
    Chucko,

Don't worry. We have 3 people who have reported incidences. It is less than 1 percent - still very low among industry standards. But even all of these bikes will be covered with warranty quickly so there should be almost no down time.

But still, we want there to be 0 failures - so we will still address this.

We've just added 2 new employees who are very dedicated to customer service (ask for Matt - full-time tech support and inside sales) - and still feel free to call us or e-mail us - we are dedicated to providing reponsive and attentive customer service as always.

-A.
    Last edited by CHUMBAevo; 04-07-2008 at 10:05 AM.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

Older than I feel
    Aug 2006
    Thanks Alan. As I said, I'm confident Chumba will make everything right. I'm just curious how often this sort of thing happens.

For the record, here is an example of the same exact failure on a Titus MotoLite. It's not unique to Chumba.

Not coincidentally, a MotoLite was one of the bikes I considered before buying my XCL. I just didn't feel confident that the Titus would hold up under my 200+ lbs. The extra beef of the XCL was what sold me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I read that there might be a re-designed rear triangle in the works and was wondering when it will be implemented, if at all?

You mentioned in thread that there is some changes to the 08 Evo. Does the stand over and overall weight remain the same? I read there will be some extra bearings for stiffness.

Older than I feel
    Aug 2006
    I called Chumba, talked to Matt, and got the info on the XCL upgrade. The seatstay (only - it's the only part that has been an issue at all) is being beefed up. The new seatstay is ball burnished aluminum and "looks like chrome" according to Matt. Apparently lots of XCL buyers like it shiny. Chumba is a couple of weeks away from being able to ship them.

mtbr member
    I'd love a polished rear for my XCL.. are we looking at a full blown recall of seatstays or is the swapout a "if it breaks" sort of thing?

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by neilster1
    I'd love a polished rear for my XCL.. are we looking at a full blown recall of seatstays or is the swapout a "if it breaks" sort of thing?
    Hey Neilster,

The breakage rate is still extremely low - we are looking at less than 1 percent. So to answer your question - it would still have to be a warranty issue. But, if you want to buy the chrome stays for looks - or whatever other reason - you are welcome to.

it's....
    Can we swap the seatstay with new beefier one, and pay an upgrade fee that is not too ridiculous?
    I'd rather have the peace of mind than have that seatstay in the back of my mind on every ride.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Strafer
    Can we swap the seatstay with new beefier one, and pay an upgrade fee that is not too ridiculous?
    I'd rather have the peace of mind than have that seatstay in the back of my mind on every ride.
    Sure - let me look into it. But don't worry about the stay too much - over 99 percent of them should be fine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUMBAevo
    We have 3 people who have reported incidences. It is less than 1 percent - still very low among industry standards.

-A.
    I can't imagine that Chumba has sold only 300 XCL frames, in total. So are you referring to a date specific batch of frames? Or perhaps frames that were made before or after a design change?

mtbr member
    I'd rather not go into specifics - but to give you an idea - we are even smaller than most small boutique bike companies - come on - I am the CEO and you can call me anytime.
    Last edited by CHUMBAevo; 04-07-2008 at 04:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I just took a close look at my XCL's seatstays and won't be wasting any brain cells worrying about this one. They are quite beefy, much more so than any other bikes I've owned. With my riding skills, I doubt I could break them if I tried.

I'm living the dream!
    Quote Originally Posted by EMrider
    I just took a close look at my XCL's seatstays and won't be wasting any brain cells worrying about this one. They are quite beefy, much more so than any other bikes I've owned. With my riding skills, I doubt I could break them if I tried.
    That's pretty much what I'm thinking. If my 200+ lb butt hasn't done anything to it after six months of rocky, rooty, no riding skills abuse, I think I should be good. At least I know if it was to crack, I won't be left without a bike for long.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky D
    That's pretty much what I'm thinking. If my 200+ lb butt hasn't done anything to it after six months of rocky, rooty, no riding skills abuse, I think I should be good. At least I know if it was to crack, I won't be left without a bike for long.
    You got that one right!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

I have a ???

I bought my XCL from a private party who never built it up. If my seatstay should fail me, do I have to pay full replacement cost, since i didn't buy it from a Chumba dealer? Also, what would it cost for the upgraded seatstays?

I love the look of the ball burnished aluminum seatstays.

mtbr member
    We are not sure yet what the cost will be for the ball burnished stays but we will do our best to make them affordable - but our official policy is that we don't warranty second-hand stuff - but we will take it on a case-by-case scenario given the circumstances.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    but our official policy is that we don't warranty second-hand stuff
    Thats what I thought, but I figured I would ask! Looking at the way the XCL is built, I'm not to worried.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Thor821
    Thats what I thought, but I figured I would ask! Looking at the way the XCL is built, I'm not to worried.
    Yup - don't worry man - you'll be fine - it's really unlikely anything will happen, and even if it does we'll take care of you.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by EMrider
    "beefy" doesn't necessarily have anything to do with failures, stress risers and other flaws aren't always the result of "not beefy enough", except for banshee, who would just gusset-it-till-it-didn't-break.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    "beefy" doesn't necessarily have anything to do with failures, stress risers and other flaws aren't always the result of "not beefy enough", except for banshee, who would just gusset-it-till-it-didn't-break.
    Banshee went to butted hydroformed tubes this year. Yeah, their old stuff had some major gussets.

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005

I had to laugh

Yup - don't worry man - you'll be fine - it's really unlikely anything will happen, and even if it does we'll take care of you.
    I had to laugh when I 1st read this thread. I have broken so many frames/parts over the years that Maurice at DirtRag has considered (in passing) letting me ride various test parts and then writing a regular column called "The Don of Destruction" (my name is Don) I'm sure Chumba will back up their product! Good to see them say so on this forum!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Good to know. I have zero engineering or tech knowledge so I've always just relied on visual clues.

Surfing trails
    Similar crack on Trek frame.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=399490

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Also a Horst link crack

Another case of a Horst link crack although at another location. Good to know that Ted and Alan at Chumba are looking out after my XCL.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spin-stabilized
    Those that ride know

sorry, had to say it.
    Hey man, wanna go for a klunk?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    You got that one right!
    Hey there. I just bought an xcl in orange and was reading stuff about the cracked stays... I have owned nothing but horst link style bike starting with Specialized and now with my Intense Tracer and I've never seen anything like the break i saw in the pic so...... I'm a bit concerned about the whole thing.. but you say that it's less than 1 percent, so with that in mind and I'm just thinking out loud here............could pushing the frame beyonds it's limits or maybe a bad shock setup or a combination of both cause the break? Are the new stays going to have some visible difference that can be seen and if .......... let's say I do end up with the new stay.... could one special order it to match the frame color?

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by stumpjumper4117
    Hey there. I just bought an xcl in orange and was reading stuff about the cracked stays... I have owned nothing but horst link style bike starting with Specialized and now with my Intense Tracer and I've never seen anything like the break i saw in the pic so...... I'm a bit concerned about the whole thing.. but you say that it's less than 1 percent, so with that in mind and I'm just thinking out loud here............could pushing the frame beyonds it's limits or maybe a bad shock setup or a combination of both cause the break? Are the new stays going to have some visible difference that can be seen and if .......... let's say I do end up with the new stay.... could one special order it to match the frame color?
    Don't worry man - the failure rate is ridiculously low - most likely much lower than your previous bikes.

A.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Seriously!

Don't worry man - the failure rate is ridiculously low - most likely much lower than your previous bikes.

A.
    What is up with all these people??? I don't get it, someone post a picture of a broken frame now everyone is soooo worried. Things break, deal with it. How about you all just freaking ride your XCl and if you happen to break this bad ass frame, then come back here with some bragging rights.

Until then just go back a couple of pages and check out all the posts about how tough this bike is. After your reassured about what your bike can handle, take the bottle out of your mouth and go ride.

I'm living the dream!
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki
    What is up with all these people??? I don't get it, someone post a picture of a broken frame now everyone is soooo worried. Things break, deal with it. How about you all just freaking ride your XCl and if you happen to break this bad ass frame, then come back here with some bragging rights.

Until then just go back a couple of pages and check out all the posts about how tough this bike is. After your reassured about what your bike can handle, take the bottle out of your mouth and go ride.

Members who have read this thread: 0