XCL with RS Lyrik ?- Mtbr.com
    Goes to 11

XCL with RS Lyrik ?

I'm considering replacing my current AM bike which is a chromoly HT with a short travel yet abuse friendly FS - which will also offer good climbing efficency.

I've read the reviews and took a brief look at the XCL - and i think it would be great as a trail bike that can take some occasional FR action (I have an Uzzi VPX that is dedicated for DH/FR).

My current AM bike was upgraded from the great Pike to the even better (IMHO) Lyrik - and i would love to stay with it. As with my HT, I intend to run it at 130-140 most of the time, and only use it at 160 on DH sections and occasional drops...

So what do the experts say? Has anybody tried this combination?

BTW,
    no need to recommend the Evo - it's too close to my VPX (which i'm not going to replace).

Thanks !
    Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads..

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Yeah that combo is awsome! I've been running it. Love it. Lower for the climb and up for the fun. Steering and handeling still good and higher bottom bracket helps for some techy rides. The weight is no biggy, plus 160 on balls out descents so fun. The xcl is over built just right. I do man size hucks often and the dhx air is great too, once tuned proper. Lots and lots of fun.

mtbr member
    What shwatzu said. Get the U-Turn Coil and keep it at 140 for the XC. When you get to the gnar, go for the 160 and maybe add a coil shock in the rear - the plush feel and torsional rigidity of the Lyrik def. did the XCL frame's rigidity justice. Go for it - wide grins guaranteed.

-A.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

Goes to 11

:thumbsup: That's what i needed to see

although pictures would be even nicer

Compulsive Bike Builder

Good combo

I run this combo, it is my favorite for the XCL. In 115 mm travel mode you have a real singletrack carving, xc bike feel. With 160 mm, you have a great slack descending set up. In either case, the stiffness of the fork matches the stiffness of the frame nicely.

My only disclaimer is the seat angle may get a little steep in 115 mm mode. I use the really long Gobi saddle, that is all I need to adjust my weight back when needed. An offset seatpost or an I-Beam saddle/post can help, too. Moving back will stretch you out over the bike, so keep that in mind when choosing a frame size.
    Disclaimer: ComCycle USA

Goes to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtDad
    I run this combo, it is my favorite for the XCL. In 115 mm travel mode you have a real singletrack carving, xc bike feel. With 160 mm, you have a great slack descending set up. In either case, the stiffness of the fork matches the stiffness of the frame nicely.

My only disclaimer is the seat angle may get a little steep in 115 mm mode. I use the really long Gobi saddle, that is all I need to adjust my weight back when needed. An offset seatpost or an I-Beam saddle/post can help, too. Moving back will stretch you out over the bike, so keep that in mind when choosing a frame size.
    Thanks for the info !
    At 5'11, I thought of a medium w/ a setback seatpost (probably easton EA-something)
    Is the 23.5" stated at the specs the actual or the effective TT when using a 140mm fork?

Members who have read this thread: 0