XCL: Rockshox PIKE or Fox Float??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

XCL: Rockshox PIKE or Fox Float??

Okay, I've been facing an agonizing question ... should I spec out the XCL with a 454 U-Turn Coil Pike and 20mm Front wheel, or should I go with a standard QR and a Fox Float ... OR, should I just offer both, and if so, which one would be more popular??
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

mmm
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUMBAevo
    Okay, I've been facing an agonizing question ... should I spec out the XCL with a 454 U-Turn Coil Pike and 20mm Front wheel, or should I go with a standard QR and a Fox Float ... OR, should I just offer both, and if so, which one would be more popular??
    I vote Pike. For as stiff as a frame that people tell me the XCL is, I'd like to match it to a stiff front end.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A Select Start

Aug 2005
    I second that, the pike would be nice, but the fork that should be offered would have to do with the target consumer, are they more XC or a little more rough and tumble.

thats right living legend
    Quote Originally Posted by walrasian
    I second that, the pike would be nice, but the fork that should be offered would have to do with the target consumer, are they more XC or a little more rough and tumble.

Yeah that's tough! I'd want a Pike on such a stiff frame, but would most in the market for this bike want the Fox?

I certainly vote Pike though, maybe it would speak to how confident you are in the toughness of this frame?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Pike. Still the most versatile fork on the market. U-turn and the maxle rule.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    My vote goes for the Pike, but allowing the people to choose would be even better... maybe through the Pike Dual Air or Air U-turn into the mix????

mtbr member
    Pike. Travel adjust and maxle seem like a natural fit for thc xcl. I would think those interested in the xcl would apreciate the extra beef up front. I like the idea of offering the air and coil versions, if possible; I could see a lot of people going air on that bike to save a little weight.
    Just spec it out with the best front wheel possible for the budget, so people don't mind so much if they can't switch over a QR wheel from another bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackagness
    Yeah that's tough! I'd want a Pike on such a stiff frame, but would most in the market for this bike want the Fox?

I certainly vote Pike though, maybe it would speak to how confident you are in the toughness of this frame?
    Man, I am really suprised so many people want a PIKE -- it looks almost like a unanimous decision~!! It looks like I will have no choice but to offer both -- the PIKE with a FSA DH-300 wheelset, and the Fox Float with a standard QR.

Blackagness, thanks for your input. We are a really small company, and we appreciate the input of all riders. I want to let you know CHUMBA is a company that premises the performance/durability of our frames on real world testing, its often done with freeriders/racers who throw more abuse at the bikes in a matter of months, than most bikes will go through in years. If we see any weak points in the bike, we will reinforce the area immediately or make it stronger -- one of the advantages of having in-house prototyping: changes are immediate. Thats why you see all of the gussetting on the front triangle, as we've found those to be stress points. The XCL you see, is probably in its 6th or 7th version, being modified over the years to improve its design, making it stronger and perform better.

A.
    Last edited by CHUMBAevo; 01-13-2007 at 09:17 PM.

mtbr member
    XCL 2007 Spec
    Fork: Pike 454 U-Turn Coil
    Wheelset: FSA 20mm Wheelset
    Handlebar: FSA 20mm rise
    Stem: FSA 100mm
    Seatpost: FSA
    Front Der.: Shimano XT E-type
    Rear Der.: SRAM X9
    Shifters: X9 Trigger
    Brakes: Avid Juicy 5
    Cranks: FSA Afterburner Mega XO
    Tires: Maxxis Minion 2.35

Comments please.

thats right living legend
    XCL 2007 Spec

Comments please.

Love it!!!

This FSA DH 300 wheelset must be new, I'll have to check that it out. I had the XC 300's and they wern't bad.

But yeah, dig that build. For as far as trying to appeal to a wide range of people... that range appeals to "people" like me almost to a T.

Hmmmm?

XCL 2007 Spec

Comments please.
    That build looks sweet... the wheels are also unknown to me, but I am pretty sure FSA make decent wheels

mtbr member
    XCL 2007 Spec
    beautiful. I bet the pike will be a pretty common choice.

mtbr member
    Do you like my new avatar? E-mail me if you want it at [email protected], and I'll send you the jpeg.

A.

mtbr member
    Okay, so it looks like everyone wants the PIKE 454. Do you prefer a remote lockout, or a lockout mechanism on the crown?

Okay, so it looks like everyone wants the PIKE 454. Do you prefer a remote lockout, or a lockout mechanism on the crown?
    Crown all the way... I only use poplock on my SS

mtbr member
    I've got the poploc on my 426, so I use it. It's been through several gnarly crashes w/out being damaged, even hit hard directly on a rock about a month and a half ago w/ no real damage, just some scratches. The thing's pretty durable.
    That said, If I built the bike again, I wouldn't order the poploc. It's very easy and convenient, but I kind of feel like it clutters my bars, and it's one more cable to worry about.

mtbr member
    yea cable clutter is never a good thing..

mtbr member
    As I've gotten more used to pedaling the Evo, I use the locout less and less anyway. It's pretty easy to reach down and hit a lockout lever on the crown while riding too.
    I guess XCL owners MIGHT ride more stuff that lockout would be helpful on (fireroads, etc...), but you've geared that bike towards the gnarly xc/am crowd for sure. I say skip the poploc.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Nobody's mentioned Marzocchi . . . Jared @ www.downshiftcycles.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Pike

This is my first Rockshox fork since SRAM took over the company and the Lyrik has just made a believer out of me. When David insisted that the Lyrik was the way to go on my EVO I went with it and I have no regrets. I was a Marzocchi man before this.

In this case I'll go with the Pike and no poploc. The EVO climbs so well on the Lyrik without having to lock the front.

My only problem in the Philippines is service. Alan, do you think you could hook me up with Rockshox so I could represent them here?

Members who have read this thread: 0